Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 19 20
#8543785 02/03/14
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I keep reading where, when handloaded with the same bullet and components, the 7x57 will outperform the 7-08. Assuming a modern rifle (M70, M700, M77, MRC1999, etc.) and a 140-150 gr. bullet, identical barrel lengths, etc., what has been y'all's experience? Or all-y'all's if you're from the Deep South?

I'm just curious since even some of the "modern rifle" data I've seen for the 7x57 doesn't seem to be able to touch the 7-08.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The 7x57 is an obsolete cartridge that, when chambered in an obsolete (but cool and very reliable) mauser, makes perfect sense. Otherwise, not so much. Let's say you COULD get another 50fps out of the 7/57 (you can't), WGAS? What difference would it make.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Loaded to the same pressure as the 708 I will outperform it. The edge in powder cap will show with heavier bullets.. With lighter bullets not so much.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Rev,just looked in the Nosler reloading manual #7 and nosler uses a 22" barrel for the 7mm Mauser and a 26" barrel in the 7/08. Now when you subtract 25f ps per inch of barrel,the two cartridges are two-peas-in-a pod.

Lets use the 150 gr NBT as an example: For the 7/08 it's top load is 2869 fps,subtract 100 fps(4" longer barrel) and it's 2769 fps. Now in the 7mm Mauser,the top load is 2831 fps with 22" barrel.

Does this help you Rev? smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Physics are physics. Larger engine i.e. more case capacity and the more FPS one is going to get, assuming the same pressures and barrel specs, period. Simple as that. So, an experienced handloader would be able to squeeze more out of a 7x57 than could be had from a 7/08 in a modern rifle. Same way a 30/06 will always outrun a 308, and a 308 will always outrun a 300 Savage etc. etc. This is assuming the barrels and pressure caps are the same, and THAT is the rub. Because there are so many 7x57 '95 Mausers and Rolling Block single shot as well as other 7mm Mauser rifles out there the ammunition manufacturers and the reloading manual writers are NOT going to step on the gas as hard with 7x57 loads or data as they will with the 7/08. The differences become greater when one gets into heavier bullets. With light for caliber bullets the differences can be pretty minor, but the differences are there. It is up to the individual shooter whether the relatively modest gains in velocity are worth the greater difficulty of finding brass for a 7x57 VS a 7/08 or how hard they want to push the old war horse. I just happen to now be in the possession of a really pretty 7x57 Custom built on a nice sturdy Yugo '48 Mauser action, and if I don't re barrel it to something else, I may have some fresh, real world real time data on what this round will do, in my rifle sample of one, anyway. (although the smart money says this rifle will become a middle weight 22/243 or 22 6mmAI)

One last point, the 7x57 is FAR from Obsolete. It is still a reasonably popular cartridge, and as capable as it ever was or more so.

50 extra FPS in the x57 version? Oh hail YES you can, especially with 150's to 175's. Just can't show it in the major manuals, as they will not generally print data that runs in the same pressure ranges as they will run in an /08 based cartridge that will not be seen in a '95 Mauser or old Rolling block left over from the Mexican wars.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It will and does..........

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
This is all good information. Too bad the lawyers for the powder companies don't trust us to be able to distinguish between a Featherweight and a Rolling Block.

As for obsolescence, that doesn't bother me much one way or the other. The only time obsolescence is a problem is when one can't get components anymore. I don't think that's an issue in this case.

Do any of you know of any sources for reloading data that would wring the potential out of the 7x57?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Elk: yep.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by safariman

50 extra FPS in the x57 version? Oh hail YES you can, especially with 150's to 175's. Just can't show it in the major manuals, as they will not generally print data that runs in the same pressure ranges as they will run in an /08 based cartridge that will not be seen in a '95 Mauser or old Rolling block left over from the Mexican wars.

I stand corrected. I still say it doesn't make any sense chamber in anything other than a mauser. If you've gotta go LA, then why not chamber it in 280?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why are you inserting LOGIC into the discussion?

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by RevMike
Elk: yep.
cool

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by southtexas

He isn't.

The 7x57 has a case capacity of ~59.0 grains of water.
The 7-08 has a case capacity of ~56.O grains of water.

Like the fella said above, it's physics and platform.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've handloaded for both cartridges in several modern rifles.

As a rule, I can get the same velocity with a 140 gr bullet in the 7x57 as I can with a 130 gr bullet in the 7mm-08.

Important difference in the game fields? That's for you to decide....

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

He isn't.

What BD said! If you don't like his view, ask 'Gwe

Last edited by fatjack34; 02/03/14.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

I stand corrected. I still say it doesn't make any sense chamber in anything other than a mauser. If you've gotta go LA, then why not chamber it in 280?

You have a point there, for sure. If I was building on a long or medium (30/06 length) action, and wanted a 7mm, I would not pick the 7x57. I would go with one of the belted or unbelted uberfast 7mm's. Inn the case of my '48 Yugo which is too short to fit 7mm Mashburn Super cartridges through the 7x57 makes pretty good sense, I think. Turned out to be a quite lively AND lovely little rifle.

I have seen 7x57's built on true short actions with good success. After all, they are the same case as the 6mm Rem which is often housed in a short action. I don't think those will run with 175's aboard, but with todays bullets I don't know many who would consider a 175gr bullet neccesary in .284 caliber.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
7x57 is and would be my choice. I've got each caliber, but if I had to get rid of all my Hunting Rifles, except for one, my keeper would be my M70 FW in 7x57.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Are you referring to a Mauser intermediate length action?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
7x57 is and would be my choice. I've got each caliber, but if I had to get rid of all my Hunting Rifles, except for one, my keeper would be my M70 FW in 7x57.

Want another one? I know where there is a really pretty short Mauser with wonderful wood, (ebony and nicely figured and checkered Walnut) and a checkered steel buttplate with the widows peak for sale..... wink grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Rem. 700 Classic in 7x57 and a Ruger77 MKII stainless in 7mm08... best of both worlds( don't know why but I like the 7x57 best)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

He isn't.

Yes, he was. The logic is, if you are going to have a long action, why not get a 280. Which has significantly more capacity. And physics is physics.

But if you WANT a 7x57, logic is not important.

It was a joke.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (2500HD, 3333vl, 808outdoors, 4th_point, 7mm_Loco, 6 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 752 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,122
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.