Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I dredged this great thread up for the benefit of first time builders like myself. Mostly things I've already considered, but one recurring theme is don't build a 'do it all' rifle. Can anyone elaborate on that one? It seems nobody likes a 7-8 lb all up sporter anymore...

BP-B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 30338
So what do you think is the most common mistake or cause for dissatisfaction on customs?

Building too heavy.....because they want it to be accurate.

Building too big.......because they might go out west elk hunting some day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The bother, waiting and final result of any 'custom' at all.

Advice is to buy a factory or already made custom rifle as close to what you want and get it modified if necessary.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by cast10K
I dredged this great thread up for the benefit of first time builders like myself. Mostly things I've already considered, but one recurring theme is don't build a 'do it all' rifle. Can anyone elaborate on that one? It seems nobody likes a 7-8 lb all up sporter anymore...

The "tactical" build seems to rule the trade these days. You cannot blame the gunsmiths for this as this is what their customer wants. Many have said that it is easier to put together a rifle with a 6 lb barrel that shoots well than a rifle with a 3 lb barrel. I like 7-8 lb sporters a whole lot. The "do it all rifle" makes sense to me as well. Over gunning on a "do it all" rifle is where I think mistakes are made. You can always borrow a rifle if going after something big once every 10 years. Why build a deer rifle that can also handle brown bear, unless you are planning to hunt them often.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remember to mask off the night sights. They do not work well with paint on them.

Do oven cure when the wife is not home, so she can take care of you after the fumes give you brain damage.

Whatever minimum temperature the paint instructions say, that is not warm enough.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Remember to mask off the night sights. They do not work well with paint on them.

Do oven cure when the wife is not home, so she can take care of you after the fumes give you brain damage.

Whatever minimum temperature the paint instructions say, that is not warm enough.

Planning, not painting.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by Clarkm

Planning, not painting.

I think the paint fumes finally got to him... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Planning, not painting.

I think the paint fumes finally got to him... laugh

Nevermind... that was after gum surgery.

They put cadaver bone in my gum, and it must have come from a stupid cadaver.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by laker
shooting the donor

Hahahahaha, not what I was thinking but SO TRUE!

I recently bought a KM 7mm-08 and thought I'd play
with it until I recovered from the purchase and Christmas.

So... It shoots 3 different factory ammos under an inch,
And will chew little ragged holes with 120 NBTs.

Yea.... Not moving forward with the project any time soon.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
A liar, cheat, and an idiot.

The threads in which I was accused of such, about as many folks have posted in my favor as against. Bottom line is that in an area of commerce, differences of opinion are going to occur and I have demonstrated with photos and copy's of correspondence that my view and memory of events was correct in the Ruger Charger issue that went on for so very (much too) long.

All that aside, that you would post such a thing in a forum and thread so FAR removed from those conversations, both by topic and time, and from the anonymity of the internet PROVES beyond ANY DOUBT that you sir are a low life COWARD!

I seem to recall some issue around an outfitted hunt? How did that go? Is there a thread that you can point me to?

IC B3

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
756 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 84 invisible), 2,920 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,064
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.