Print Thread
Hop To
F
fjlee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F

I�ve been thinking of buying the new Vortex Diamondback 3-12 x 42 scope when it becomes available in a month or so. This is Vortex part # DBK 10017.

I got an unwelcome surprise today at Cabelas. They had 2 each 3-9x Diamondbacks in the case.
These 2 scopes possibly would be considered �old stock���..I don�t know.

Due to my interest in the new Diamondbacks, I did a �touchy-feely� on these 2 scopes. The elevation and windage adjustments on the 2 scopes were disappointing. Felt very very �cheesy�. Very vague. No click, no tactile feedback at all. Neither of those 2 scopes I handled would work for me at all, as a hunting scope.

So I am concerned that the new 3-12 x 42 Diamondback will have the same characteristics as far as the az and el adjustments. Vague cheesy clicks is a deal breaker������

Experiences or Comments?

Thank you�� FjLee

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Diamondback 1.75-5x32 I purchase used from an online dealer several years ago. I mounted it on a BLR in 358 Win.

I didn't have any of those issues that you speak of with the adjustments. As a matter of fact it tracked very well.

The problem I did have was that one of the internal lenses came loose and started to rattle inside the scope. I sent it back to Vortex and they fixed it. I never hunted with this scope and only sighted it in. Other than that it's been a decent scope.

Dan

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I own a diamondback 3-9 x 40. If is pretty good scope. The BDC reticle works as it should and the glass is decent. The edges aren't as good as I would like, but it is on par with my Burris Fullfield II. I,like the scope resetting on zero. Nice feature. Positive clicks and moves like it should. Didn't feel it was cheesy, but it isn't my Burris Signature Select or Zeiss Conquest either.

Last edited by Fire Hawk; 02/08/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Didn't Vortex recently upgrade the Diamondback line? The new one you're waiting to come out may be a different animal. I know my Dad recently bought one of the new Diamondbacks and he speaks well of it, though I've never looked through it.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well, I don't know what tactile sensation is OK with you (or not). We are all different. What you describe bears no relationship to the 3-9x Diamondback I have. Admittedly it is a sample of one.

Mine has positive, one click at a time movements. I could see where the clicks could be seen as too weak by some, but at least on mine they are definite clicks, the knobs easy to use, and I have yet to over click past the point I wanted due to too easy movement of the turret knobs. The clicks are pretty precise and track around the box satisfactorily. The field is the widest I could find, especially in the price category. The view is sharp and so is the reticle. The quick focus ocular adjustment works just fine and is forceful enough in its movements so I have not had it move unless I moved it.

Now it is a relatively inexpensive scope. But I have it on a relatively inexpensive rifle, a Marlin XS-7 .243, so the scope fits the package price range. The only thing I would say is that the eye relief is less on the Diamondback than some scopes, so I might be more critical if I needed it for a hard kicker, something the 243 never will be. Optically it compares with the Leupold VX-2 pretty well. I am more than happy with mine, and yes at this point, I would buy another one.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
IC B2

F
fjlee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
>>>>Well, I don't know what tactile sensation is OK with you (or >>>>not). We are all
>>>>different. What you describe bears no relationship to the 3-9x >>>>Diamondback I have.
>>>>Admittedly it is a sample of one.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Thanks for the response, folks. It's appreciated.

SteveC99.��Yeah, you have 1, and I handled 2, so combined we have a sample of 3.��
Statistically, that�s weak, isn�t it?

Hopefully, the �new� VORTEX Diamondback line, known as the �Diamondback HP�, will have things a bit better sorted, and have more consistency in the mechanicals.

The new Diamondback HP line is comprised of 3 scopes. 4-16x42, 3-12x42, and 2-8x32.

There�s a fairly complete description of them on the Vortex website. Due on dealer shelves �summer 2014���or something like that���..

I �want� to like and admire the new 3-12x42, but I�ll need to handle a couple of �em extensively before I decide to buy.

For the Colorado, Wyoming, and Texas hunting I do, the 3x-12X power range suits me well.

We'll see..........

FjLee

Last edited by fjlee; 02/09/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The current DB clicks are not as nice as the Viper. But, with this type of scope you set it and forget it so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That 2-8x42 sounds interesting. If it doesn't have the tunnel vision of the 2-7x32 Viper I'd be interested in seeing one.

I had the Viper and couldn't like it no matter how hard I tried.

Dan

F
fjlee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by 4th_point
The current DB clicks are not as nice as the Viper. But, with this type of scope you set it and forget it so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

I really really _like_ a good click! A smooth crisp vigorous SNAP that can be felt, and no backlash or slop. The graduations line up perfectly. My wife also shoots and hunts, and she takes it a step further, and sez that a good click can also be faintly heard!

We've recently visited the dealers, and done a lot of clicking. The best "clicker" we've encountered, surprisingly, is the Redfield Revenge. We've handled several of 'em, and they consistently felt really good......and this isn't an expensive scope.

Does it "track" as well as it clicks?? I wouldn't know. WAG sez probably not, but I don't know. I do know that a good click doesn't necessarily indicate good tracking.

The Weaver Grand Slam 3x-12x also interests me, but I've not yet handled one.

Will the Weaver be both a good clicker, and a good tracker? That'd be nice, eh?

FjLee Denver CO

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The new Diamondback HP in 2-8X will have a 32mm objective, not 42mm, according to their website.

IC B3

F
fjlee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by boltgunjim
The new Diamondback HP in 2-8X will have a 32mm objective, not 42mm, according to their website.

Boltgunjim........right you are! Good catch!

"Thank you".......I fixed it.

FjLee Denver CO

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
fjlee- Weaver consistently has some of the best clicks and tracking. Kind of known for it too. Even the K series. Others - at least ones I have used I thought were exceptional were Sightron and Meopta. Though it was about the only thing I liked about that particular Sightron.

Leupold and Burris I use or used are a bit spongy. The Bushnell and Nikons somewhere in between. Some may chime in to differ- but I can assure you the Weavers will receive praise for their adjustments.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Didn't Vortex recently upgrade the Diamondback line? The new one you're waiting to come out may be a different animal.

These are two totally different scopes, not made in the same place or too the same specs. The new Diamnondback HP series is a step up

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a Diamondback 4-12x40, that was broke from the get go. I also do not like the eye relief of the Diamndbacks, if you are dead set on one, wait until the Diamondback HP comes out. A little better eye relief, and as Doug said a step up from the original DBack.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Diamondback 4-12x40mm and can't complain about the adjustments or glass. It is set on a 22LR, so I hasn't seem hard use, mainly range work. I will test it's tracking once I transfer it to a .243, where it will stay put.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Didn't Vortex recently upgrade the Diamondback line? The new one you're waiting to come out may be a different animal.

These are two totally different scopes, not made in the same place or too the same specs. The new Diamnondback HP series is a step up

Good to know, Doug. I'll keep an eye out for them. Recently bought a 2-7 Redfield Revolution and didn't care for the Vortex offerings in that range; this Diamonback HP 2-8 could have changed that.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 308ld, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,723 guests, and 767 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.