Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've been looking for a home protection shotgun lately but before doing so I wanted to get a better idea of just what one could expect from buckshot, so this morning I went out and patterned some.

I used a Remington Model 1100 with a 28" barrel and skeet choke. It's the only shotgun I own and the most open choke tube I have. So results are not completely applicable to a short 18-20 inch cylinder bore but I think I can safely assume that patterns would be even wider with one of those.

Five brands of 2 3/4" shells were tested at three different ranges, 7, 15 and 25 yards. All 00 loads contain nine pellets and the one #4 buck load holds 27. Listed velocities are just what's on the box end flaps, I wasn't about to put my Oehler skyscreens out in front of these loads. wink

Royal Buck 00 - Made in Spain, 1345 fps
Federal 00 "Maximum: - 1325 fps
Federal 00 "Low Recoil" - 1140 fps
Olin 00 Military Grade - no velocity listed, this comes in a plain brown box.
Remington #4 buck - 1325 fps

You guys can reach your own conclusions but I took away four things from this morning.
1. It's definitely worthwhile to pattern your shotgun. My 1100 wore a fixed modified choke barrel for 47 years, I just bought a new one with screw in choke tubes and this is the first time I fired it. This new barrel shoots a bit to the right for me.

2. Buckshot looks like it is very effective at very close range but the effectiveness diminishes rapidly the farther out you go. I sure wouldn't want to take on a shotgun armed man even at 25 yards but hit percentage falls off fast after 15 yards or so. Still, any of these loads would put a hurt on someone out to at least 75 feet. Now whether they'd take him down, especially with thick clothing on, I'll leave for speculation or those that have actually witnessed the effects.

3. The Federal Low Recoil is definitely lower recoil but not that much, at least not enough to really matter. With 2 3/4" shells the recoil on all of these wasn't that bad, at least not in my gas operated 1100. I suspect a light 18" Remington 870 might come back at you harder, but in a stressful situation I doubt if you'd notice it.

4. While this could generate discussion about how far out one should shoot a deer with buckshot, at the ranges you'd encounter inside a house (10 to maybe 50 feet) damn near any shotgun firing a decent load of #4 buck or bigger is going to put a lot of holes in someone very quickly!

All of the paper targets pictured are 15"W x 11" high so you can get an idea of the spreads.

7 yards

Just fired three groups at three aiming points since I figured at 7 yards, anything works. All of these would ruin someone's day. Even the wad would hurt. Here it looks like the #4 would be the winner, 27 .24 caliber pellets in a small group vs. 9 .33 caliber pellets of 00. But again, at 21 feet, any of these loads would, in technical terms "F--- you up!"

[Linked Image]

15 yards. Even at this range the pattern is starting to spread.

The Royal Buck pattern is 10" x 5", centered on a chest that would perforate everything pretty well. The Olin Military is a bit tighter.

[Linked Image]

Federal Maximum and Federal Low Recoil. These were kind of disappointing, the Maximum only got 6 or 7 hits out of 9 pellets, I'm not sure if one of those holes is a double. Same with the Low Recoil, only 8 out of 9. One of those hits could have been from the Maximum, but you can see these loads group right of my aiming point. They'd work but effectiveness is diminishing.

[Linked Image]

Remington #4 buck - aiming point was the center of the paper. If a man's sternum was centered he'd be perforated from the neck to the diaphragm. Can't comment on penetration but coverage is still good, multiple wounds in both lungs and the heart.

[Linked Image]

25 yard groups. Just fired one group per paper with these.

Royal Buck

[Linked Image]

Olin Military Grade

[Linked Image]

Federal Maximum

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_09981.JPG[/img]

Federal Low Recoil

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_09973.JPG[/img]

Remington #4 - this would sting but I'm not sure how much stopping power you'd be getting.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_09962.JPG[/img]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Where would you aim for if an intruder came through your door and might have a BP vest on? Groin, head or center mass?

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm a #4 buck guy myself.
They leave the barrel about a 100 FPS faster than a .22, maybe 300 FPS faster than a .22 pistol. So ask yourself this, if someone emptied 2 1/2 magazines from a .22 simi auto pistol at 25 yards into a bad guys chest, do you think it would have "stopping power" ?
If the buckshot does not kill him, the surgeon will when he has to pull out two dozen pellets instead of 7 or 8.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the Olin military 00 stuff in my sawed off/tricked out 870 right now.......

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If I knew he had a vest on I'm not sure, probably aim at the head and try for a CNS hit. If he was moving fast laterally the head would be a difficult target but it's still a lot easier target than a clay pigeon winging out there and I can certainly hit one of those.

Hard to say, really.

It would most likely be pitch dark so the first shot would be directed at center of mass since I wouldn't know he's wearing armor. But it's a good subject to think about. Maybe have to practice a variation of a Mozambique drill - one to center, one to the groin and one to the head - one of those should get him. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
I have the Olin military 00 stuff in my sawed off/tricked out 870 right now.......

I've buck and ball in mine.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A lateral move I'd probably go for a hip/thigh shot and that should bring him to the floor pretty quick where you'd be able to get a better head shot.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nothing like doing the testing yourself and knowing what works in your gun.
This might be helpful to get an idea of the power that can be unleashed by a 12ga.
box of truth shotgun
I don't think a handgun will bring the horsepower that 00 or 000 buck can throw out. #4 Buck ain't shabby either.
Birdshot is great... for birds

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Federal Flight Control buckshot loads work best in my cylinder bore gun..... Wish Federal would release the Flight Control wads to reloaders.....

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot45_3.htm

Please don't feed the trolls!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
By the way, when close combat with HD shotguns, either pistol grip or stock, it is easier to get shots on "center mass areas" if you hold the gun parallel to the horizon at chest level. Kind of gangsta style with a pistol.
Another good read here

Kentucky carry shotgun

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nice test, Jim. I see the Rem #4 performs the same in your Remington shotgun as in my Winchester 1300. At 25 yards, a man sized cardboard silhouette is covered from head to toe with holes. I use an IC choke.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those tests were very informative. Thank you.

We were issued #4 Buck at the prison where I worked. So that's what I bought for home. If it's good enough to take inmates off of the fence I'm sure it would work great at the closer ranges found in a home defensive situation.

Dan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, thank you Jim........

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1) Number #1 Buck is the ticket.

2) More constriction works better if you want to stretch the range.

3) Absolutely you must pattern your particular gun, choke and load combination for pattern density AND point of impact. Don't rely on one shot for absolute data, shotguns are finicky beast and will surprise you occasionally with a fluke pattern. Good on you for taking the time to investigate this.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Fed personal defense/low recoil is how I roll in the welcome wagon..

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good stuff...For what it's worth, when I was about 15 I did a science fair project with ballistic gel (TONS of it!) and various types of buckshot. I found #1 buck to have the greatest total wound volume based on number of pellets and depth of penetration.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice tutorial.

How did that RIO brand ammo function in your 1100 ????
It is super cheap at Sportsman's but I didn't want to buy any junk.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think a black magic slug would gave gone through all boards and busted the block at the end.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Federal Flight Control buckshot loads work best in my cylinder bore gun..... Wish Federal would release the Flight Control wads to reloaders.....

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot45_3.htm

Mine too. I have a cylinder bore duty gun and can put all nine on paper at 40 yards

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try a full choke.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
145 members (10Glocks, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,897
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.