-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks to calikooknik for reminding me of another common one. It's the very common "those that" or "people that". It should be those WHO or people WHO. "That" should be reserved for objects, as in "Here's the rock that hit my windshield" whereas people deserve a "who" as in "and the vandal who threw it."

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"hard road to hoe" (properly "hard row to hoe." Nobody hoes roads! Weeds invade garden rows.)

"hone in on it" (properly "home in on it" from lingo of old system of aerial navigation by radio signal.)

"to no end" (properly, "no end" means "extremely." "to no end" means "without purpose.")

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JJHACK

As far as errors, I'm not sure that spell check is improving our lives. I now have an iPad which chooses whole new complete words that I never intended to begin with, sure it's spelled correctly but it's now the wrong word.

There is a website called damn you auto correct. Wow the texts that went in error will knock your socks off!

Sent a text to my son about the weather. I input barometer. It sent bra meter. Cracked me up so much I left it and now we use the bra meter to tell just how cold its getting.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is the BRA meter any kin to the ther MOM meter?

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Only to those who wonder how ther mom meter future husband.

I've had a built-in bra meter since learning the ABCs at about age 16.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
I, frankly, just like the name--"milespatton".

Thank you, it was a gift that I received when I was just a young man. grin miles

You're welcome. The pleasure was mine. grin

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
An expression I read and hear more and more is a proposal needs to be flushed out, rather than fleshed out.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A good many proposals would be best "flushed out".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
gibe also jibe (j�b) v. gibed also jibed, gib�ing jib�ing, gibes jibes. --intr. 1. To make taunting, heckling, or jeering remarks. See Synonyms at ridicule. --tr. 1. To deride with taunting remarks. --n. A derisive remark. [Possibly from obsolete French giber, to handle roughly, play, from Old French.] --gib�er n. --gib�ing�ly adv.

jibe1 also gybe (j�b) Nautical. v. jibed also gybed, jib�ing gyb�ing, jibes gybes. --intr. 1. To shift a fore-and-aft sail from one side of a vessel to the other while sailing before the wind so as to sail on the opposite tack. --tr. 1. To cause (a sail) to jibe. --n. The act of jibing. [Alteration (perhaps influenced by jib1) of gybe, from obsolete Dutch gijben.]

jibe2 (j�b) intr.v. jibed, jib�ing, jibes. Informal. To be in accord; agree: Your figures jibe with mine. [Origin unknown.] adv.

jive (j�v) n. 1. Music. a. Jazz or swing music. b. The jargon of jazz musicians and enthusiasts. 2. Slang. Deceptive, nonsensical, or glib talk: �the sexist, locker-room jive of men boasting and bonding� (Trip Gabriel). --jive v. jived, jiv�ing, jives. --intr. 1. Music. To play or dance to jive music. 2. Slang. a. To talk nonsense; kid. b. To talk or chat: �You just jive in one big group, putting each other on, trying to top the last line� (Time). --tr. Slang. 1. To cajole or mislead. --jive adj. Slang. Misleading; phony. [Origin unknown.] --jiv�er n. --jiv�ey or jiv�y adj.

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B3

C
C
Punctuation and spelling are important to get your message across, or else we will all be writing in Ebonics.

"Can you help Jack off that horse?"
Or
"Can you help jack-off that horse?"

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

713 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 69 invisible), 3,514 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,379
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.