Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just finished a book I picked yo at a leave one,take one table. Pale Horse Coming by Stephen Hunter is the first novel I remember reading by someone who knows what a firearm is and how they work. He wrote a pretty good story too boot. Think I will look for more by him.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I may have to get that book.

μολὼν λαβέ
S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
I may have to get that book.

You will get a kick out of some of the names he uses in the last half of the book.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, excellent book as are all of the Earl And Bob Lee Swagger books. His first one "The Master Sniper" is a great read and historically accurate.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I will be looking for them when I get home nd hit the library.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stephen Hunter is one of the few that gets firearms details right over 90% of the time.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yeah, but in "Hot Springs" he had Swagger's daddy shooting mule deer in Southwest Arkansas.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by selmer
Stephen Hunter is one of the few that gets firearms details right over 90% of the time.

That's what I thought. For Washington Post guy he seems to me pretty good on his guns.

Maybe no so much on his deer identification.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
He does seem to call all handgun grips stocks. I not Mr Browning called them stocks in his original patent but I have never seen the term used on other handguns. Maybe I have it wrong and he is right.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some are definitely better than others.

Point of Impact is pretty good and fairly accurate. Much better than the movie they made after the book. Probably my favorite of his. Time to Hunt (kind of a sequel AND prequel) is also good.

Dirty White Boys is also pretty absorbing. IMO, his earlier work is best with the later novels getting progressively poorer and more desperate. An all to common trait for writers who are contracted to churn out books every year.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
IC B3

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Yeah I really liked Pale Horse aw well, I think most here would enjoy it. I've read most or all of his books, and have enjoyed them all. Some a bit more than others, but all worth reading. Been trying to find an author lately whose books are consistently good, no luck so far.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
he has a few more. but my favorite is pale horse and then point of impact. have read both over and over

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Scott F
He does seem to call all handgun grips stocks. I not Mr Browning called them stocks in his original patent but I have never seen the term used on other handguns. Maybe I have it wrong and he is right.

They must be Smith & Wessons. Their wooden handles are called stocks; Colt and Ruger call them Grips. S & W calls the cylinder swing-out thingie a Yoke, and Colt and Ruger call it a Crane. A hand turns the cylinder on a S & W and a Colt, but a pawl does the job on a Ruger. You'll find different names for similar parts among different manufacturers. Just compare an exploded diagram of a Colt revolver to one of a Smith & Wesson and a Ruger, and you'll see these differences. To me, it means the author knows his stuff or did his homework.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks. I believe if he is not a gun guy he did a lot of research.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just finished a book I picked yo at a leave one,take one table. Pale Horse Coming by Stephen Hunter is the first novel I remember reading by someone who knows what a firearm is and how they work. He wrote a pretty good story too boot. Think I will look for more by him.
If you're a gun lover, you really need to be reading Stephen Hunter. Start with Point of Impact and work through them all.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks. I will start looking as soon as I get back home.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Stephen Hunter is a gun owner, hunter, collector, shooter, and reloader.

I've met him and talked with him. He is familiar with firearms.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Does not surprise me at all. Really refreshing when when an author gets it right.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

Stephen Hunter is a gun owner, hunter, collector, shooter, and reloader.

I've met him and talked with him. He is familiar with firearms.

L.W.

Absolutely. He knows his guns and all of his novels show it. He gets it right. BTW, he has retired from his job as film critic at the Washington Post and from time to time writes articles for the American Rifleman in addition to cranking out a new thriller every year. As one example, he wrote a nice article in 2010 on the Colt 1911 Super .38, now known as the .38 Super.

The latest novel, not yet released, is about a woman Russian sniper in WW2. I am anxious to see how he handles the characterization, which is so good in the Swagger series.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Yeah, I've read all of his books. I just re-read Point of Impact, Time to Hunt, and Dirty White Boys because I just finished all of the John Sanford books and was kind of bored.

The one he came out with last year about the Kennedy assassination (The Third Bullet) throws a pretty cool fictional spin on how things could have happened. But it's kind of a slow read with too much investigating and not enough action.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

293 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 38 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,617
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.