Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Got a Jeep Go-Devil engine with a stuck exhaust valve. Had the engine over-hauled 8 years ago. Been sitting in my garage, 'cept for a few months outdoors and may have gotten some rainwater in one cylinder. Exhaust valve on front cylinder is stuck open. I've got good compression in 3 of 4 cylinders and no compression in No. 1, so I assume the exhaust valve in no. 1 is open. Also, I can blow compressed air through cylinder one out the exhaust; further proof exhaust valve is stuck open.

Any ideas how to free up that puppy without pulling the head? I might could spray hell out of it with ATF cut 50% with acetone. They say that's a good penetrant. Any other ideas from you experienced wrenches would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jordan

Last edited by RobJordan; 02/10/14.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi Jordan

Have you tried synthetic oil. It is a very good cleaner and helps break lose stuck valves.

Change your oil with Mobil one and run it for a few hundred miles and it should free your stuck valve.

Watch out the oil is if left in an older engine too long it will start to eat the gaskets.

Last edited by Bwana338; 02/10/14.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How quickly do you need her up, Rob ?

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any kind of penetrant that you can get down the valve guide would be good. Just not WD40.(but if that is all you have..) Just realize you may eventually dilute the oil and need to change it after you get it unstuck, and don't rev the wiss out of it. Does it have a side cover plate that you can get access to it? Remove the exhaust manifold and look with a scope, spray down the guide directly? Get it on compression stroke and push it down physically?(just be gentle if you can reach it with a bar or blade). Diesel in the oil and just let it idle?

Any of these could work. Is it really that hard to get the head off?

ETA, just found pics of it online with a side cover to access the lifters for adjustment. May want to take it off and verify problem and see what can be done to free it up. Also look like you would be able to get penetrant down the guide with the exhaust manifold removed.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by calikooknic; 02/10/14.

Sean
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks Guys. She ain't runnin just yet so I can't fire 'er up and loosen 'er with oil circulating. Yes. Cali, it has side cover plate. Hoping to avoid pulling head or side cover.

Think I'll soak her with Kroil or maybe ATF cut 50% with acetone (hear that's the best) and then try Freeze-Off sprayed on the stem through the spark plug hole and see if she'll pop. They say that stuff works real good too.

Thanks all for the advise.

Jordan

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kroil is good stuff, but if you can find it, try Zep Twister. Have used all sorts of stuff on truck, tractors and motorhomes, that Twister does a hellava job.

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would try sea foam

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Drain a quart of oil and replace it with a quart of transmission fluid. Run it til it gets to peak operating temp. I'd drive it kinda hard to get it over 200f.
Drain the oil and replace the filter. Replace it with a synthetic oil and a quart of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer.
If you run it a hundred miles after all of that,and it's still stuck,send it to an auto machine shop for a valve job.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've loosened frozen diesel engines with ATF and diesel - I'd be afraid of the acetone. I'd think it'd be hard on bearings, etc.
I've also found that time is your friend when using solvents - be patient.

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Kroil is good stuff, but if you can find it, try Zep Twister. Have used all sorts of stuff on truck, tractors and motorhomes, that Twister does a hellava job.

With the side cover plate off, a coupla' bumps with a bar or a polished screwdriver would probably get the valve freed up.

If I had the (today's) price of a good rebuild at stake, I'd drain it, pour it FULL of diesel, and check back in a month.

The diesel flush can be dumped into an older cat (or my 5.9 Cummins)

Talk about waking an engine up,......

Regardless, that engine should get TWO lube oil changes, if it's that musty / rusty inside,.....get the damned cumbustion ACIDS gone.

Luck

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Thanks Guys. She ain't runnin just yet so I can't fire 'er up and loosen 'er with oil circulating.

Well damn... Never mind.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Hell Bart. I was gonna call you and then I recognized that damn phone number!! I posted that I was gonna call you and then I had to delete the post! blush

Jordan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jenny's a bitch but if you wanna talk to her... Be my guest.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That diesel/oil combo also works great for spraying down concrete form boards. Lots of good suggestions here Rob. But I wouldn't drive it with diluted oil.

Sean
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Sean:

I assume that is your jeep in the photo. Care to tell us about it? You seem to know your stuff too. I''m hoping to have mine running within a couple weeks. I've got a guy wiring it for me (I'm not smart enough). I've got a high compression after-market head I want to put on it. 'Cept the after-market head does not have the coolant inlet hose to the head like mine does. I think that allows the water to heat faster. Does it matter?

Jordan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry Jordon. I-net photo I found to see what you were dealing with. It is/appears to be the same as a customers vehicle we get from time to time. 41-43? Willy's. Not sure on the inlet hose question. Does it(current/original) have an outlet too? Heater hose fittings? Looking at some more internet pics all I see is the upper rad hose outlet and possibly a 3/8 pipe female at the front or back on the sides, one on top rear drivers side.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
What brand of head is it? Maybe I could find some pics and give you a better opinion. Main thing would be water flow to the radiator, any others could be plugged or used as needed.

Last edited by calikooknic; 02/11/14. Reason: Got a better look

Sean
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Sean:

I figured out the water port in the front. It's a bypass to allow for faster heating of the coolant. Your photo shows it on that boss in the front with the plug in it. The Kaiser head does not have the coolant bypass, but it doesn't matter---unless you need it to warm up faster.

Thanks,

Jordan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not like we are in -40 temps like the others hear. sick

By-pass does help to distribute coolant in the block and heads before t-stat opens. No hot spots that way. But if the original design allows enough flow, so be it. Feel free to PM me if I can help you in the later weeks. Sack time now, got heavy chores in the mornin.

Sean
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Had the same thing happen on a IH Cub tractor, flat head, one valve stuck open/up. I had to pull the head off, so I could force it back down in order to use solvent/penetrating oils to free it up. I couldn't get it back down from the side cover. New head gasket and it was back in bid'ness.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Well, she won't free up. frown Pulling the head this afternoon. Soaked her in Kroil and Freeze Off. No luck. Gonna pull the head, tap her down gently and see if we can move 'er up and down and break 'er free. While we're at it, I'll use it as an excuse to install a Kaiser Super high-comp head.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 740 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.