Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
LKEYES Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
So I am looking for a new bow and I thought I would ask everyone here what there thoughts were on these 2 bows. I have narrowed it down to the Elite Energy 32 or the Hoyt Faktor 30. Both bows have about the same specs and IBO speeds. I did get a chance to chrono the Elite with my hunting arrow, but not the Hoyt yet to see what the true velocity would be for me. Price wise there is only $50 difference between the 2 pro shops. And yes I did shoot the new Mathews also, but didn't care for it at all, very spongy back wall.

Any and all help or advice would be great as this would be my first new bow purchase that I have ever made, and they are not exactly cheap.

Thanks for the help

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.
- Dale Carnegie
GB1

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
With the price difference being minimal, it's really up to personal preference. Shoot them both and decide which one you like.

That being said, my major issue with Elite is that they haven't caught on with dealers in my neck of the woods. I bought an Elite at Scheels only to have them quit carrying them within a year. I don't regret the purchase and love the bow, but if issues arise it could be a major PITA to service without having to ship directly to Elite. Hoyts seem to be ubiquitous.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The bows have completely different feels as far as letoff, draw cycle, valley are concerned. Which one you buy is totally up to you. Buy the one that you shoot the best. As a side note, Hoyt has been pretty soft on their ibo ratings. Most when properly tuned are exceding advertised IBO speeds. Another thing to keep in mind is Hoyt is using BCY X strings on their bows this year. And quality wise their strings top the Winners Choice strings on the Elites. With that being said, both bows tune quite well. So, see which one feels best to you

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
L
LKEYES Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I went and shot them both and they feel different but shoot very good to me. The one mistake I did make was that I shot the new Carbon Spider 30, and boy oh boy, it is an awesome shooter. But very hard to justify the extra $450 for it.

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.
- Dale Carnegie
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The original spyder 30 is a shooter as well.

Custom Strings/Tuning
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
IC B2

L
LKEYES Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Yes, that was my favorite last year as well, I just didn't pull the trigger on getting one last year.

- Dale Carnegie
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Elite was my choice, Hoyt a close second.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I hate admitting to being an all-out Fanboy. But I like Elite. Started w Hoyt. Still have a Hoyt AlphaElite dedicated 3D bow. But I am going to move it for a new 35 when the lefties hit the dealers.

It's still a personal matter. Either a great bow

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Elite for me between the 2

S
SHW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I shot the Hoyt Carbon Spyder, Hoyt Faktor and Elite Energy 32. All are great bows. I went home with the Elite and took a wild hog and three does with it in four days of hunting. I am getting back into compounds after three years of shooting nothing but crossbows. My specs:
Elite Energy 32 60LBs at 30 inches
380 grain Carbon Xpress Blue Streak @ 280 FPS

I am going to shoot a Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo this week. As everyone has said, buy what feels best to you.

IC B3

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Go with what feels best to you. Personally, a small grip and a solid wall on the cam bring out the best accuracy for me. Been competing in 3D for lots of years and hoyt's bridged riser offers one of the smallest torque free grips available. If the Carbon Spider shoots easiest for you go for it. Bows are not like guns as far as resale but trade in prices are fairly relative to what you pay, but some brands/models do hold value better. My thoughts are if the bow fits you well hang on to it for a while. I am still shooting a 07 model for hunting because it shoots so well for me and bows haven't really made leaps and bounds in technology since that era. Don't get caught up in buying the latest and greatest every year, you will never get used to any one bow. Every one has different preferences, weight, draw, speed ect., just go after what works for you. Good luck

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hoyt vs what? Where do you get warrantee service on that? How long will they be around? I have been pretty wary ever since High Country. There have been lots of bow companies come and go in the last 30 years - Hoyt has been there from the beginning and is getting stronger - no brainer for me. Only thing I would suggest is that you take an honest look at the Charger. Might just save yourself $400.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Elite wont be going anywhere. At least for the forseeable future. Been around for quite some time and they are rapidly gaining ground. So cut the fanboy BS.

Custom Strings/Tuning
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So was High Country, XI, York, etc......not a fan boy - I buy what I want, but when I spend my money I want quality and a warrantee that will be there if I need it. Time will tell. Elite, Prime, Parker and a few others are trying - and good luck to them. Not that I don't support the little guy I own several custom Trad bows. So I believe the fanboy BS is cut.

Earlier this year the Bear Rep was at the local shop selling his wares. I went through the lineup tried them all. Some nice, some yuk. After I'd shot them all the shop owner pulled me aside and ask what I though. I told him that for the same price I could have a Hoyt or Mathews - either of which I would take over the Bears. I feel the same about Prime, Elite, etc. If they were priced 60% of a Hoyt of Mathews maybe I'd take a look, but for the same money - no thanks.

Last edited by centershot; 01/21/14.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Hoyt startd Squeaking,creaking bad 3 or 4 months after owning it.....needed to grease the limbs. The guy who fixed it said after about 3 or 4 more treatments it will quit squeaking,creaking for life. I love my Hoyt.....but I am sure some time it will start creaking around when I least expect it, and that will not be fun.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Angus, sometimes the little bushings on the outside of the top limbs (the ones hold the yoke) will squeak against the limbs. Lubing that area will often take care of the squeak.

Hank the Cowdog was the book collection that really got my daughter hooked on reading! Great books.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have had three Hoyt Carbon Elements in the last three years....traded my "2013-2014" Hoyt in on the new Elite and never looked back. The Elite was, without question, the smoothest, most forgiving bow I ever shot...period. Got a nice buck with it this fall too! The Hoyt CE was a great bow...I loved em all...but once I shot the Elite, it was game over.

Shoot em and make your own educated choice...you'll be fine with either.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bear, Hoyt, Bowtech, Mathews, Elite, PSE will all be around for yrs to come. All make great bows. Some Im not a fan of. Some I like a lot. They are all quality products. Especially the high end offerings. Its no secret Im a Bowtech guy. And its no secret Im a fan of cam systems with at least one set of tuneable static yokes. Elites are nice bows with their own feel. But the huge valley isnt for every one.

Custom Strings/Tuning
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You really need to shoot both bows and spend some time drawing and holding them at draw. Elite will have a hard "back wall" , Hoyt kinda "giving". Elites can be tuned to give about 85% letoff , Hoyt 75%. Both are a quality product. I hunt with Elites because of the high let off and long valley.Let off and valley can be a good friend when You have to hold the bow for extended periods.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Be doubly sure you know what you are doing when messing with the let off on the Elite. The cams can and will lock up on you. Disastrous results normally follow. This isnt to discourage or sway your purchase. Just to say "if you dont know what you are doing adjusting the let off, let someone that does adjust it for you".

Custom Strings/Tuning
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,098
Posts18,464,148
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.