Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Sorry guys, but his may be a little long.

I don't build anything. I don't craft or create anything. I don't sell anything, or drive anything or make your money work for you. Just like everyone else who works, there are times when I hate my job; times when it's bearable and times when I wonder how in hell I ever ended up here. Then there are times when my heart breaks. I'm an oncology nurse.

Over the last couple months, I've had occasion to take care of an elderly cancer patient who has come into the hospital half a dozen times. He was a fun old guy with something growing in his lungs that modern medicine can't cut out or stop from growing and while he was always in good humor and fun to talk to, things were progressing a little faster than he was aware would happen.

His wife, always struck me as a bit cold and distant. In the time I took care of her husband, she probably didn't say a dozen words to me, other than to ask questions about what I was doing, what treatment he was getting, what I was hanging on his IV pole; tests being run etc. Never a smile, never really a thank you or other expression you normally see with elderly people brought up in a different time when service was acknowledged.

I realized now, that she was just too damn scared of the future without her Jimmy.

Yesterday, he started his final decline. There won't be any discharge this time. He's in the hospital and this is where he will remain. His wife met me in the hall in the afternoon that was so busy I didn't have time to think. She came up to me and asked if I had a minute. Hell, I didn't have 20 seconds to spare, much less a minute, but those old instincts kicked in and I took a deep breath and made it a point not to look at my watch.

She told me that she knew the end was fast approaching and she didn't want her husband to suffer and asked what I could do to help. I told her that he needed to change his code status so that if he slipped away, we could let him go. As it was now, if she faded, we had to do everything we could to revive him. She asked if I'd talk to him about it. So I did. You can imagine this is a delicate conversation, but in this case, I'm thinking Jimmy was ready to face facts.

We went over the options and he elected to accept no code status. If he slipped away, we would let him go. When he said it, I told him I'd get the order in his chart and we'd transfer him to a private room and I patted him on the shoulder and started to walk out of the room. His wife said: "Thank you...thank you...bless you." You can imagine how difficult that was to endure without letting that old dam of stoicism break.

My shifts are 12 hours long. Last night was 14. It was a biotch of a day! So, after I got all my charting done and all I could think about was getting out the door, I went back down the hall to say good night to my patients as is my practice. I saved his room for last.

He looked comfortable; gone was the expression of struggle and fear. He'd accepted that life had an expiration date and knew his was up. His color was better and he was breathing easier. I told him I was off for a day and I'd see him on Wednesday. He said maybe not. I said he'd have to put up with me for a little while longer. He asked: "You think so?" I told him I was pretty sure of it.

His wife had changed completely. That cold, aloof, distant woman was now like the best matronly grandmother one could imagine. Her dam of self control and steel had finally broken. Acceptance has a way of doing that. They were both finally comfortable with what the future held and all that reserve I'd seen before was just a way of doing battle with that damn disease and coping.

So, yesterday was one of the worst days I've ever had as a nurse, but not because of these two people. It was because of the other self-serving, selfish patients who wanted to be served like royalty for little things like stomach bugs and headaches, while just down the hall a nice old gentleman was contemplating his impending death and saying goodbye to all that he'd come to love and cherish.

He didn't make the day suck. Patients like him make it a lot easier to contemplate going back to work after a day of rest.

I'm hoping he's still there on Wednesday, but part of me hopes he isn't. Part of me hopes he slips away, with that nice old woman holding his hand.

Last edited by Dan_Chamberlain; 02/11/14.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mr. Chamberlain, you sir are entitled to a day of rest, which you may never get.

Until then, all I can say is "thanks".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dan,
That had to be hard to handle. I'm glad you were there for both of them. God bless.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dan, you define the "CARE" part of "Healthcare" . I believe the last memory any person in time of Peace SHOULD have is that the folks around are good folks. You are. Thank You.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What a nice post.. That couple is very fortunate to be in your care. The vast majority of them are truly caring individuals - and it takes a special kind of person to be one.

Thanks for posting that Dan...and best wishes..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Fella, when you go toes up they will be able to write "Here lays a man" in fairly big letters.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You are a caring human being, a rare find these days, thank you, and thank God for you.

Lynn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain

I don't build anything. I don't craft or create anything. I don't sell anything, or drive anything or make your money work for you. Just like everyone else who works, there are times when I hate my job; times when it's bearable and times when I wonder how in hell I ever ended up here. Then there are times when my heart breaks. I'm an oncology nurse.

Over the last couple months, I've had occasion to take care of an elderly cancer patient who has come into the hospital half a dozen times. He was a fun old guy with something growing in his lungs that modern medicine can't cut out or stop from growing and while he was always in good humor and fun to talk to, things were progressing a little faster than he was aware would happen.

His wife, always struck me as a bit cold and distant. In the time I took care of her husband, she probably didn't say a dozen words to me, other than to ask questions about what I was doing, what treatment he was getting, what I was hanging on his IV pole; tests being run etc. Never a smile, never really a thank you or other expression you normally see with elderly people brought up in a different time when service was acknowledged.

I realized now, that she was just too damn scared of the future without her Jimmy.

Yesterday, he started his final decline. There won't be any discharge this time. He's in the hospital and this is where he will remain. His wife met me in the hall in the afternoon that was so busy I didn't have time to think. She came up to me and asked if I had a minute. Hell, I didn't have 20 seconds to spare, much less a minute, but those old instincts kicked in and I took a deep breath and made it a point not to look at my watch.

She told me that she knew the end was fast approaching and she didn't want her husband to suffer and asked what I could do to help. I told her that he needed to change his code status so that if he slipped away, we could let him go. As it was now, if she faded, we had to do everything we could to revive him. She asked if I'd talk to him about it. So I did. You can imagine this is a delicate conversation, but in this case, I'm thinking Jimmy was ready to face facts.

We went over the options and he elected to accept no code status. If he slipped away, we would let him go. When he said it, I told him I'd get the order in his chart and we'd transfer him to a private room and I patted him on the shoulder and started to walk out of the room. His wife said: "Thank you...thank you...bless you." You can imagine how difficult that was to endure without letting that old dam of stoicism break.

My shifts are 12 hours long. Last night was 14. It was a biotch of a day! So, after I got all my charting done and all I could think about was getting out the door, I went back down the hall to say good night to my patients as is my practice. I saved his room for last.

He looked comfortable; gone was the expression of struggle and fear. He'd accepted that life had an expiration date and knew his was up. His color was better and he was breathing easier. I told him I was off for a day and I'd see him on Wednesday. He said maybe not. I said he'd have to put up with me for a little while longer. He asked: "You think so?" I told him I was pretty sure of it.

His wife had changed completely. That cold, aloof, distant woman was now like the best matronly grandmother one could imagine. Her dam of self control and steel had finally broken. Acceptance has a way of doing that. They were both finally comfortable with what the future held and all that reserve I'd seen before was just a way of doing battle with that damn disease and coping.

So, yesterday was one of the worst days I've ever had as a nurse, but not because of these two people. It was because of the other self-serving, selfish patients who wanted to be served like royalty for little things like stomach bugs and headaches, while just down the hall a nice old gentleman was contemplating his impending death and saying goodbye to all that he'd come to love and cherish.

He didn't make the day suck. Patients like him make it a lot easier to contemplate going back to work after a day of rest.

I'm hoping he's still there on Wednesday, but part of me hopes he isn't. Part of me hopes he slips away, with that nice old woman holding his hand.

Thank you. Typing through very full eyes right now. Just� thank you.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would only hope that I get a caregiver much like you in my last days.

Good job, Sir!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
After watching my mother slowly die of cancer, and being there at the end, the nurses that cared for her were truly angels, they treated her(and us)with care and kindness, even when she was comatose and unaware. They treated her with respect and dignity. Their names and faces have faded from my memory, but I will never forget those wonderful people. You and them are special people sent by God. thanks

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nursing ain't for the weak.

laissez les bons temps rouler
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You can imagine how difficult that was to endure without letting that old dam of stoicism break.

Did better than some here might care to admit, and they weren't even there!

Tough gig in Oncology. Much respect and thanks for the kindness shown to your patients.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Dan, you define the "CARE" part of "Healthcare" . I believe the last memory any person in time of Peace SHOULD have is that the folks around are good folks. You are. Thank You.

Couldn't say it any better than that - so I'll just agree and say "Thank You".
Chas

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hats off, thumbs up. I could not do the job you're doing. When my time comes I hope someone as decent as you are is there.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dan,

When we lost my mother to cancer some 7.5 years ago, our entire family was present in her hospital room. I don't recall much about that early evening but will forever remember the handful of nurses that she'd come to admire and cherish. When she finally passed that evening, there were tears in all of their eyes.

I'm not telling you something you don't already know but it really means a lot to the family to have people like you working in healthcare.

Your compassion is admirable. God bless.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad you are in your profession as I am sure many others have been Dan. Bless you Sir.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Strong work.

I hope my 12-hour shift today is a little easier than yours was.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Dan....the work you do is priceless. That's all there is to it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shouldn'ta had those danged onions in my omelette this morning...

LOL
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Dan- Few of us are tough and compassionate enough to do what you do.

Before you ask, it's coming along...not as fast as I'd like, but it's coming along.

Mathew 22: 37-39

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Dan,

As I read your post, I immediately thought back to the caregivers who took care of my Grandfather and Grandmother when they were dying from lung cancer.

The ordeal of watching a loved one die such an awful death is life changing. I cannot imagine the effects of watching it hundreds of times in a career of treating patients.

You have my respect and admiration. It is easy to read in your post that you are in your career for the right reasons.

May God bless and keep you.

CT

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Dan,

All I can say is ditto to all the previous comments. Thank you and your service is noted above.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

This is how everyone should, if they were the world would be a much better place IMHO.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
this one hit home in the X ring Dan

I spent more time in an infusion center last year than I ever dreamed possible.

it is indeed a tough gig to watch who you love most struggle for their very life. Most often my defense mechanism for stress it to be a spring loaded angry POS. Though some say I may be stressed all the time.

anyway, I just want to personally thank you. Those folks that did my wife's infusion treatments really were angels on earth for us, pretty much the whole dang crew.

I am so very thankful for the compassion and care my wife and I were shown during her treatments.

God bless you Dan, for the work you do and the manner in which you do so. For that is often God's blessing on those afflicted.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by cra1948
Before you ask, it's coming along...not as fast as I'd like, but it's coming along.

Keep at it!

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
This just confirms what I already knew. You are a good man Dan Chamberlain.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Wow! I don't know what else can be said.
I spent a good bit of time a couple of years ago while my SIL went through this. Caring Compassionate nurses make a world of difference.
Thanks Dan.

FJB & FJT
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Appreciate the words. I didn't post this for applause. After 25 years in Law Enforcement, nursing was a 2nd career. I just wanted to give an illustration of how people who you don't expect to, can really tough your life. We have a wing of 25 beds. On any given day, perhaps only 4 or 5 are given over to oncology and 2 or three receive a lot of inpatient hospice use. We lose between 150 and 180 patients a year on our wing, as opposed to #2, which would be ICU and Emergency, which probably average less than 50. Even with those numbers, it's hard not to imagine it being sort of a hospice mill of sorts, but it's not.

It's harder on the family than it is on the patients. Those stages of grief everyone talks about are really there.

Still, it's sometimes hard to "love" all your patients. Some make it darn difficult to even like them. The trick is, not to let those ones know. Everyone gets the same amount of care, but not all of them take the same toll on our emotions. I've learned you can care "for" someone, without ever really caring in one's heart.

Thankfully, those patients are few and far between.

Last edited by Dan_Chamberlain; 02/11/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
God bless you, Dan, and those you care for.
And God bless Jimmy and his wife, I hope his last moments are peaceful.
Originally Posted by gnnrsig40
After watching my mother slowly die of cancer, and being there at the end, the nurses that cared for her were truly angels, they treated her(and us)with care and kindness, even when she was comatose and unaware. They treated her with respect and dignity. Their names and faces have faded from my memory, but I will never forget those wonderful people. You and them are special people sent by God. thanks

Agreed, my young first wife passed from cancer. The oncology nurses made a horrible time more bearable. They were angels.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thanks for what you do.

I have a bit of caring streak in me at times too. Thought hard RE nursing and just didn't think I could deal with those situations.

Unfortunately, well in a way, in my late 40s I jumped into fire/ems volunteer stuff and damn if I don't deal wiht it anyway, but after seeing family folks pass, maybe I am now ready for it.

Whatever the case, your job has rewards once you figure them out. Even though it doesn't seem that way, you are right, folks at peace with a caring caregiver mean so much.

And those with the hangnail... well they are hard to deal with sometimes.

Well done sir.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dan thank you for what you do. If it weren't for caregivers like you this would be a cold dark lonely world for many.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
People like you truly make a difference in this world. In a very good way.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Dan,

Thanks for being a good person and a great example to your profession!

I recently had back surgery and am well aware of what a good nurse is. I was in the hospital for 3 nights and out of all the nurses I had I can say only 3 were competent and caring of their job. I think to many go into it for the money but I may be wrong.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Man of the Right Stuff there.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Dan, My wife has been a nurse for 35 years,in an ICU and then taking care of veterans at a clinic. Many an evening she has told me stories similar to this one because talking to someone about it is the only way she can get to sleep at night.

There are special people for special jobs.

We should all be thankful for them.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
You are perfect for this job! Bless you and thank you for all you do..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You done good for that couple. Blessings on you.

Grammar is important.
Capitol letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" & "helping your uncle jack off a horse".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautifully written, Dan. I know you were venting and not looking for praise, but just like when you were in law enforcement, you have to do the job somewhat dispassionately to preserve your own soul. I'm sure the family you wrote about will think of you fondly after he passes..

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well Done Dan.

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
God bless you for providing good palative care.

I went through this last year with my brother loosing his wife to cancer and the hospital staff was excellent.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bravo Sir, well done.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

Mr. Chamberlain.....I was just getting ready to have my supper. I am going to delay that for a few minutes and pour myself a drink, hoisting it to you and Mr. Jimmy............Bless both of you.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thank you, Dan, for sharing this with us. Your story brings me back to watching my Dad die in ICU four years ago and the nurses and Doctors there.
My Mom would fit the description of Mr. Jimmie's wife.

May God richly Bless you for what you do and who you are.

My prayers go out for Mr. Jimmy and his family and for you in your daily work.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a tough gig you're doing Dan and it takes a tough person to be able to do it. Thanks for being there for Mr and Mrs Jimmy.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Dan, My dad is going through a tough time with cancer right now. He has multiple mialoma and had stem cell treatment 3 years ago. He relapsed about a month ago. He means everything to me and I have been a rollercoaster of emotions.

Its people like you that make it a little bit easier for us. THANK YOU so much for your compassionate and diligent service. If we ever meet dinner is on me. Keep on keepin on man cause you really don't know how many people you are impacting. The world needs more people who give a $hit. Hope Jesus blesses your socks off.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Always hard to guarantee that they will not use extraordinary measure......glad they are set to let him cross over without that

It must be really hard to have to deal with this every day

bless you for what you do

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

DC, you are doing very well whenever you give compassionate care in spite of the intensive care demanded of you for those patients assigned each day. Bless you and Please continue.

In the ~ 17k surgical cases I've done in the thirty-five some years I've given anesthesia, I've had dozens ride the line between life and death during cases and three folks die in my hands due to the co-morbidities and a couple in the days to follow. Each time, I considered quitting my chosen profession in various stages of grief; yet, post-situational meetings worked me back to the reality of what we do and the business we are in..And this is life. My stat's are actually a bit low but that has been a very small consolation.

Still, I remember the moments, the faces, and families I talked to afterwards and probably will forever.

Stick with it; you are needed.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm an oncology nurse.

My wife is a nurse, so I understand why this is one of the toughest jobs in nursing. That you could write what you did, the way you did, is evidence to me that you're in the right place, doing the right thing, for all the right reasons.

Bless you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Made my room dusty.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Dan I'd say you found your calling, I bet you were a great peace officer as well.

Thanks for what you are doing.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Dan,

The ordeal of watching a loved one die such an awful death is life changing. I cannot imagine the effects of watching it hundreds of times in a career of treating patients.

You have my respect and admiration. It is easy to read in your post that you are in your career for the right reasons.

May God bless and keep you.

CT

plus 1. lost most of our older and a few younger of our families , we have both had cancer and survived, loving compashinate care is one of the greatest gifts a care giver has ,thank you.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Cancer sucks. Bless you and your coworkers for all you do. Peace and Strength to Mr. and Mrs. Jimmy

Dale

This space for rent

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for the support. Great people here.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Keep rockin brother, some roads aint easy and some were put here with the ability to walk them.

Your doing great things, better yet you have given us a glimpse into what you and people like you do everyday.

Thank You

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Thank you for sharing. You touch lives, one at a time. You touch our lives here as well. Again, job well done!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Damn allergies.

Hadn't seen your post until just now. Your a good man DC.

Your post brought back memories of Mom. In her case she died at home with me holding her like you would a young child. She had my sister at home with her for about six months before she died.

God bless DC.

Last edited by Karnis; 02/12/14.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Updates?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know how I missed this post but thanks for taking the time to write that out. And thanks for the work you are doing. That was a touching post.

Don't believe everything you think.

You ain't learnin' nothin' when you're talking.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dan, your post has caused me to reflect on a couple of things, one of them being the fact that we lost both Mom and Dad in recent years at length of life. Even so, neither was easy, but both had excellent caregivers. Your post also made me consider the positions of my four brothers and spouses and realize that every one of us is somehow connected to healthcare either directly or indirectly. So I've heard a whole lot of the angst that is caused by the grumbling, petty patients. Sometimes it almost looks like that must be most of what nursing is. Yet your telling and my experience tell a different story. I don't think any of us can truly express the value you add to life for the people you touch. But, thanks Dan!

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
You Sir are a good man!

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Visited briefly with family Friday night. Still alert and fighting, but weak and failing. I've found that in many cases, how a person lived their life, mirrors how they approach their final days, hours etc. The stronger the person's character and constitution, the longer they linger. Even when the spirit is ready, the body will do what it has to do to survive.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I have to recount a short tale of a 96 year old woman who fell ill and the docs said she appeared to have a tumor on her liver and that they wanted to do a biopsy to determine if it was cancer. She looked at them like they'd sprouted horns. She said: "I'm 96 years old! What the hell do you think you'll do if it's cancer? Operate? Go to hell. I'm going home!"

She went home...with her boyfriend! He was 93. He drove.

Dan

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Had an old cowboy ( the real thing�) friend go in for his physical at 98 years old. Doctor told him needed to cut back on the bacon�

You get one wild guess what his response was�.. grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Awesome!! You are a fine person..Best wishes!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
God bless you Dan.

- Rogue
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks for the update, been thinking of him........

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thank you, Sir. Your work means everything to some of us.

"Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Fella, when you go toes up they will be able to write "Here lays a man" in fairly big letters.
That is a fine statement - I agree. Dan, you post is uplifting - well thought, well written, well felt. Thanks.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Just stumbled across this thread now. Very touching post. One always wonders if the health care providers REALLY care or if their just trained to pretend they care. You sir, have proven that you really care.

When I was in the hospital in November, all my nurses were great for the most part but one in particular stood out. You got the sense that she absolutely loved her job. You could tell she just loved being there and I felt the level of "care" she had for me. She really helped me during that spell and I thank her for it.

You're a good man Dan

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What a blessing you are to the people having to go through such terrible things, thank you for what you do.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by JSTUART

+1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Dan a big ole www pat on the back guy !

A compassionate MAN you are !

Mike

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Dan,

So well said. I have worked in Emergency Medicine first as a Paramedic, now as an ER nurse for going on 25 years. There are always those patient's who touch your life in ways you will never forget. The boo-boo's and stomach bugs, not to mention Moqueisha coming in for her weekly shot of Rocephin and oral Zithromax because you can't buy condoms with food stamps drive me up the wall and make me debate walking away every day I'm at work. But every so often someone comes in who needs CARE, maybe not medicine or technical expertise, but CARE. They make me want to keep keeping on.
Just the other day I took care of a Gentleman who had the misfortune of taking a very long tiring walk in Bataan back in 1942...... He was ill in a big way, but I cherished taking care of him. When I shook his hand and told him Thank You, he squeezed my hand a little firmer, smiled and gave me a hearty "Thank You too".....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
The WWII vets are special.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you for still being able to feel Dan,says alot about you as a man.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.