-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The channel lock is the cat's ass for backcountry plumbing chores.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

It don't take you long to look at a horseshoe, does it?

I'll answer any questions you have about using photobucket.

Travis
Laffin'!!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by smokepole
Surprised no one has mentioned a good old Swiss Army knife. Scissors, tweezers, blades, etc.

I do love the Swiss Army knives. They are great but the Wingman has scissors (good ones) and although the Swiss Army tweezers are the single greatest [bleep] tweezers every made, the usefulness of the pliers on the Wingman trumps the usefulness of the tweezers in my opinion.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SAK tweezers are awesome!!!!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I do love the Swiss Army knives. They are great but the Wingman has scissors (good ones) and although the Swiss Army tweezers are the single greatest [bleep] tweezers every made, the usefulness of the pliers on the Wingman trumps the usefulness of the tweezers in my opinion.

If you knew anything, you'd just whip out your channel locks.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
[bleep]' channel locks...

Ed T knows more than I. But I don't get the channel locks.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dunno... They grab hot [bleep] better, work better for stove [bleep] (C stoves like to be [bleep] with) and they kick ass on Durapegs, and the long ass MSR aluminum stakes.

I have to agree with EdT, all the multi tools SUCK as pliers compared to real pliers. Plus there's the fact that they weigh 4 ounces.

Pack a set a few times, you'll probably leave the Leatherman home.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tanner
Gerber Suspension is pretty badass for me.

Not sure if DanAdair will approve of it, but through hiking the Bob has probably taught him more than us mortals could ever dream of....

Tanner

Me too, have 2 of them, one for work, one in my pack. My work Suspension also has a built in hammer, prybar, and beer opener. It has been indestructible so far.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DanAdair
I dunno... They grab hot [bleep] better, work better for stove [bleep] (C stoves like to be [bleep] with) and they kick ass on Durapegs, and the long ass MSR aluminum stakes.

I have to agree with EdT, all the multi tools SUCK as pliers compared to real pliers. Plus there's the fact that they weigh 4 ounces.

Pack a set a few times, you'll probably leave the Leatherman home.

I use a jetboil so I really don't have anything hot to grab. The only thing I use on MSR stakes, is a rock.

I would be tempted to leave the Leatherman, but it stays in my pocket anyway, and I think for an extra 3oz. having screwdrivers, pliers, wire cutters, scissors, a knife, etc. is worth the weight.

Travis

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Yup, like I said, when I might need pliers, I carry a multi-tool with pliers. But I don't need pliers for any of these uses most of the time.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

The SOG PowerAssist pliers certainly do not suck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I would be tempted to leave the Leatherman, but it stays in my pocket anyway, and I think for an extra 3oz. having screwdrivers, pliers, wire cutters, scissors, a knife, etc. is worth the weight.

Travis

Travis;
Hopefully this still Saturday morning finds you folks well and warm sir.

I'll admit - again - that it's been years since we've headed into the back country for days instead of "all day" or part thereof, so that taken into account I'd offer the following examples of fun in the BC back country.

We had a fairly new pack blow the stitching out of the bag on one side part way up the Kokanee Glacier. That led to carrying heavy needles, saddle thread, dental floss and duct tape on all our future trips.

Buddy's camp stove needed to be taken apart - a couple times - when we took a weekend jaunt up into the Cathedral Lakes.

Another buddy's boot blew the stitching out the side of it one evening coming off the mountain with his mulie buck hind quarters on our backs. I repaired it with a Leatherman, a flashlight in my teeth and the aforementioned needles and saddle thread. Nowadays I pack reading glasses too.

I can't begin to count the number of times I've extracted prickly pear cactus out of me, buddy, daughter, wife or horse for that matter in the back country with a Leatherman.

The same can be said for a decent little scissors - yes I carry at least 3 knives on me somewhere, but a scissors is handier and safer.

While I've not yet had to use it - thankfully - I'm a trained OFA and carry both butterfly adhesive strips and a suture kit in my pack. The suture kit looks to require something like a thin nosed pliers or a locking foreceps.

I did save a downed horse that was hung up on smooth wire - rancher buddy underneath it at the time too - with an original Leatherman - so they will work for emergency purposes too.

Now before someone points it out, I am cognizant that this isn't the horse section and it did bugger up the cutter faces to save that horse - but Ed and Bunjo thought it was a reasonable sacrifice for me to make. wink

Anyway Travis, I've had a folder in a pocket and a multi-tool on my hip for so long now I feel naked without one and that's more or less where I'm coming from.

When and if the day comes that the mountains are sufficiently steep that I can't make it with the extra 4oz on my right hip......well let's just say that'll be a sign for me won't it? frown

None of this is meant to poke a stick in the eye of the folks here that are much harder chargers than I ever was or intend to be Travis. I'm merely relating how I've used a multi-tool over 3 decades of walking and riding in the BC back country - sometimes far away from "mother's arms".

You folks have a good weekend Travis.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 02/15/14.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I consider a Multi-Tool an essential component of my backpack hunting gear. Many uses with little weight penalty.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I like one with a corkscrew. I can't count the number of times I've come upon a damsel in distress in the backcountry with a couple bottles of wine and no way to open it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've saved extra trips to buy a corkscrew because I've had a Swiss Army knife or multi-tool on hand.

Nothing like taking a lady on a romantic picnic and having to push the wine cork into the bottle....Lame.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's why you should only visit the backcountry with a woman who drinks liquor.......straight out of the bottle.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Anyway Travis, I've had a folder in a pocket and a multi-tool on my hip for so long now I feel naked without one and that's more or less where I'm coming from.

When and if the day comes that the mountains are sufficiently steep that I can't make it with the extra 4oz on my right hip......well let's just say that'll be a sign for me won't it? frown

Dwayne

I don't leave home without it. In fact, I check a bag when flying just to have a knife and Leatherman when I arrive.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
That's why you should only visit the backcountry with a woman who drinks liquor.......straight out of the bottle.

That is the best advice I've ever seen given on the internet.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes.
Golden.
Wine is for clingers.....

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Travis

Travis;
Hopefully this still Saturday morning finds you folks well and warm sir.

I'll admit - again - that it's been years since we've headed into the back country for days instead of "all day" or part thereof, so that taken into account I'd offer the following examples of fun in the BC back country.

We had a fairly new pack blow the stitching out of the bag on one side part way up the Kokanee Glacier. That led to carrying heavy needles, saddle thread, dental floss and duct tape on all our future trips.

Buddy's camp stove needed to be taken apart - a couple times - when we took a weekend jaunt up into the Cathedral Lakes.

Another buddy's boot blew the stitching out the side of it one evening coming off the mountain with his mulie buck hind quarters on our backs. I repaired it with a Leatherman, a flashlight in my teeth and the aforementioned needles and saddle thread. Nowadays I pack reading glasses too.

I can't begin to count the number of times I've extracted prickly pear cactus out of me, buddy, daughter, wife or horse for that matter in the back country with a Leatherman.

The same can be said for a decent little scissors - yes I carry at least 3 knives on me somewhere, but a scissors is handier and safer.

While I've not yet had to use it - thankfully - I'm a trained OFA and carry both butterfly adhesive strips and a suture kit in my pack. The suture kit looks to require something like a thin nosed pliers or a locking foreceps.

I did save a downed horse that was hung up on smooth wire - rancher buddy underneath it at the time too - with an original Leatherman - so they will work for emergency purposes too.

Now before someone points it out, I am cognizant that this isn't the horse section and it did bugger up the cutter faces to save that horse - but Ed and Bunjo thought it was a reasonable sacrifice for me to make. wink

None of this is meant to poke a stick in the eye of the folks here that are much harder chargers than I ever was or intend to be Travis. I'm merely relating how I've used a multi-tool over 3 decades of walking and riding in the BC back country - sometimes far away from "mother's arms".

You folks have a good weekend Travis.

Dwayne

See? Dwayne agrees with me. End of discussion, close thread.

Travis

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,310
Posts18,468,202
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.