Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am looking for a new one to add to a general purpose bag. After about an hour my head was spinning.

SOG, leatherman, gerber, leatherman was the first and has good stuff, gerber too. Not sure about SOG. Who else?

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

From start to finish, a small Kauffman #15 hunting knife and a Leatherman Wave on this elk. What a Leatherman won't do hasn't been invented yet...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Shrap, that's what I was going to say. Leatherman Wave.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've already got one of the wave tools in one backpack kit.

Guess I just got lucky and picked a winner from the start.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A Leatherman Wave is my favorite.

I actually prefer the first version FWIW.

I also like the Charge with the better steel in the main blade and the gut hook on the serrated blade.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Leatherman Wave is great, but I also really like some of Gerbers tools. I've been using a Gerber the most, recently.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got a Leatherman "Wingman" for Christmas. I'm not crazy about the genre but it seems to be much better quality then my first years ago.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The Wingman is the shizz. Leatherman really knocked it out of the park with that one. Does a whole lot for its weight and isn't noticeable when you wear it on your jeans all day.

Cheaper too.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I really like SOG's offerings.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another vote for the Wave. Especially the newer ones with all locking tools and swappable bits.

Ask any Blackhawk helicopter crew chief, that's about the only tool we needed.

Just don't tell that to the maintenance pilots.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Leatherman Rebar here. Lighter than the wingman (and the wave) and has more tools than the wingman. Also has a saw, which for some reason I wanted on mine.

It is more expensive than the wingman.

edit- check ebay. I got a micro leatherman for $9 on there, 1/3 price of new. The used market is huge from all the airline security confiscation.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For a guy carrying a knife anyway, I like the supertool. More useful pair of pliers/cutters. They are bulky though. I keep one in the truck and one in the snowmachine bag.

For a single tool to do it all though, the wave is nice. One hand access to blades is very handy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another fan of the Wave, I carried mine everywhere, paid the price and lost it, now I have to buy another one. The Supertool is a good one too.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I really like SOG's offerings.

I've not tried one but they look good.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Downside is they are a spendy proposition.

I lost a SOG Paratool in a lake when I had to dive in after a fishing rod that had been dropped. Recovered the pole, but lost my SOG. I almost cried.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The Leathermen I've had have broken blades rather easily or rusted. Some good designs, but I haven't been happy with their execution. Plus, they always make me think of the Jimmy Fallon SNL sketch The Leatherman.

Have had good luck with Gerbers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
The Wingman is the shizz. Leatherman really knocked it out of the park with that one. Does a whole lot for its weight and isn't noticeable when you wear it on your jeans all day.

Cheaper too.

Travis

I've got one, love it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I wouldn't be without my Gerber 600.

Dads is a Gerber legend

My brother swears by his Leatherman Wave.

The Wave and Legend aren't nearly as handy for me.

They all are holding up well although Dad doesn't use his like my brother and I do.

Most practical selection can depend on how you use the tool.

That probably clears things up like mud.

�Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.� - Henry Ford
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Currently have a Leatherman Super Tool 300. Had a Wave and like that one a bit better. Broke a flat head on the Wave and Leatherman fixed it no problem. Overall, the Leathermans do come in handy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
so far of the half dozen ive had Leatherman Wave is at the top of the list.....havent tried any of SOG's though and would like to....will prolly get one at some point.....i tend to buy most my multitools at pawn shops at a deep discount and then stash them all over....tackle boxes, glove boxes ect on the off chance i forget my Wave at home or loose it.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I am looking for a new one to add to a general purpose bag. After about an hour my head was spinning.

SOG, leatherman, gerber, leatherman was the first and has good stuff, gerber too. Not sure about SOG. Who else?

I use a Leatherman Charge TTi everyday for work. It's pretty slick, I think it's similar to the Wave.

Lost one(Charge) last Spring and used a Supertool 300 for a few months. Missed the Charge so much I ordered another one.

I like to support the local business if possible but they were +$60 for the exact same tool. Actually every other website I found on the internet was also $50-60 higher.

This place has the best deals by far.

http://ltm.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/7702/Leatherman-Full-Size-Tools.html

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always have some sort of victorinox with Phillips head in my pocket but I do keep the wingman in my car.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SO, thanks for website reference. My Wave has been missing for awhile. Need to get on the stick and order a new one.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My Charge is laying out in the middle of a field. Pretty sure I set it on the sprayer while we were re-filling and then forgot to grab it before my dad took off.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

I lost a SOG Paratool in a lake when I had to dive in after a fishing rod that had been dropped. Recovered the pole, but lost my SOG. I almost cried.

thats why you keep an old fish stringer, the metal clip kind, handy. Open all the clips, toss it in and drag and one of the clips generally catches the rod or line on the first few tries...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson
My Charge is laying out in the middle of a field. Pretty sure I set it on the sprayer while we were re-filling and then forgot to grab it before my dad took off.

Borrow a metal detector and sweep the area.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JJHACK;
Hopefully this finds you and yours well today sir.

I'll add another vote for the Leatherman Wave.

I've carried one since they came out and used it pretty much daily at work. It's getting a wee bit tired now, especially the wire cutter, but it's been a great tool.

When our daughters asked for a multitool for their cars/packs I picked up clean older production Waves for them on ebay.

We bought our eldest daughter's boyfriend a new model Wave this past Christmas and although it was a bit bulkier, I'd say there were several design improvements that made sense.

I'm planning on buying another Wave for myself in the not too distant future, but haven't made up my mind as yet whether I'll go new or the older "classic" Wave.

Lastly as a "gear guy" and "knife nut", I've looked at every model multitool I could get my hands on and talked to owners who actually use them too.

Based upon that I'd stick with either a Wave or one of the Gerber offerings.

Hopefully that was useful to you or someone out there sir. Good luck on your multitool purchase whichever way you decide.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by rost495

thats why you keep an old fish stringer, the metal clip kind, handy. Open all the clips, toss it in and drag and one of the clips generally catches the rod or line on the first few tries...

Oh I could have hooked it with another line and a triple treble hooked northern pike lure, but it was hot outside and a dip sounded like a good idea.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I messed up the cutters on a Leatherman Supertool.

I sent it back with a letter and they replaced it.

Their lifetime warranty means something smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This thread has me wondering how often you guys actually use a multi tool in the backcountry?

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gerber Suspension is pretty badass for me.

Not sure if DanAdair will approve of it, but through hiking the Bob has probably taught him more than us mortals could ever dream of....

Tanner

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by DanAdair
This thread has me wondering how often you guys actually use a multi tool in the backcountry?

Yeah, 'cause EdT figured out long ago that a pair of 4in channelocks was a better potholder/plier and weighs about a third or less of what multitools weigh.

A multitool makes perfect sense in a SHTF/bug-out kit because you haven't left civilization and still may have to afro-engineer some mechanical contraption. In the middle of a wilderness area? Not so much.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty much....

I pack a multi tool on XC ski trips in case I gotta make a cable for a binding, or fix a binding.

But backpacking? that's 7-8 ounces that doesn't really do anything for me.

Even bow season, my compound buddies pack individual allen wrenches for gadgets that might shake loose.

I use one of the old school origional Leathermans a ton at work and around daily life. I've never needed one when living out of a backpack.

I'm Irish...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I use mine for removing fish hooks and cutting stuff and making wood shavings and striking firestarters and it is a nice fail safe if I have to remove/tighten screws or tighten a nut and bolt, etc.

I can't think of what the [bleep] I'd use some channel locks for. Unless of course I run into an oil filter that just really needs to come off in the backcountry.

Travis

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I can't think of what the [bleep] I'd use some channel locks for.

It don't take you long to look at a horseshoe, does it?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm of the same mind as Dan and TAK, which is in and of itself kind of scary. Surprised no one has mentioned a good old Swiss Army knife. Scissors, tweezers, blades, etc. I also use the smallest leatherman that has pliers on it whenever I might have a need for those.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I use them quite a bit in the backcountry. Not necessarily backpacking though, and never in the classical sense. All the time on the boat, and more than a little on a snowmachine (ok, none of that this winter, as we have no snow).

I packed one sheep hunting once, but pretty quickly gave that up. If I were to carry one there, it would sure as hell not be the chunky supertool.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

I'll answer any questions you have about using photobucket.

Travis

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Borrow a metal detector and sweep the area.

I looked around for about an hour but couldn't find it. The field would be too big to go looking for it with a metal detector.

Someone else had lost it before me as well. I actually found it alongside a gravel road and used it for a couple years before I lost it.

Painted the current one orange. Hopefully I don't lose this one for at least a year or two.

Can't comment on backpacking but for a general daily use item it is sweet.

Really not that big, solid though, it feels 'heavy' for its size. Are the Waves smaller?

Favorite blade half the time.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SamOlson; 02/13/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cwh2
I use them quite a bit in the backcountry. Not necessarily backpacking though, and never in the classical sense. All the time on the boat, and more than a little on a snowmachine (ok, none of that this winter, as we have no snow).

I packed one sheep hunting once, but pretty quickly gave that up. If I were to carry one there, it would sure as hell not be the chunky supertool.

Same here, I've used a multitool to snug up trekking poles that were slipping, fix a tripod head. Use the pliers for helping hold back the fur when skinning (especially between the horns on a sheep). For me its 5 oz of worth it along with a stout sharp knife for stuff like cutting down large willows and what not.

If guys don't need it don't take it, but I found that it is still an item I choose to bring/use on nearly every backpacking trip. Heck, for pulling hooks out of a fish's mouth alone makes it worth it.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The channel lock is the cat's ass for backcountry plumbing chores.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'll answer any questions you have about using photobucket.

Travis
Laffin'!!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by smokepole
Surprised no one has mentioned a good old Swiss Army knife. Scissors, tweezers, blades, etc.

I do love the Swiss Army knives. They are great but the Wingman has scissors (good ones) and although the Swiss Army tweezers are the single greatest [bleep] tweezers every made, the usefulness of the pliers on the Wingman trumps the usefulness of the tweezers in my opinion.

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SAK tweezers are awesome!!!!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I do love the Swiss Army knives. They are great but the Wingman has scissors (good ones) and although the Swiss Army tweezers are the single greatest [bleep] tweezers every made, the usefulness of the pliers on the Wingman trumps the usefulness of the tweezers in my opinion.

If you knew anything, you'd just whip out your channel locks.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
[bleep]' channel locks...

Ed T knows more than I. But I don't get the channel locks.

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dunno... They grab hot [bleep] better, work better for stove [bleep] (C stoves like to be [bleep] with) and they kick ass on Durapegs, and the long ass MSR aluminum stakes.

I have to agree with EdT, all the multi tools SUCK as pliers compared to real pliers. Plus there's the fact that they weigh 4 ounces.

Pack a set a few times, you'll probably leave the Leatherman home.

I'm Irish...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tanner
Gerber Suspension is pretty badass for me.

Not sure if DanAdair will approve of it, but through hiking the Bob has probably taught him more than us mortals could ever dream of....

Tanner

Me too, have 2 of them, one for work, one in my pack. My work Suspension also has a built in hammer, prybar, and beer opener. It has been indestructible so far.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I dunno... They grab hot [bleep] better, work better for stove [bleep] (C stoves like to be [bleep] with) and they kick ass on Durapegs, and the long ass MSR aluminum stakes.

I have to agree with EdT, all the multi tools SUCK as pliers compared to real pliers. Plus there's the fact that they weigh 4 ounces.

Pack a set a few times, you'll probably leave the Leatherman home.

I use a jetboil so I really don't have anything hot to grab. The only thing I use on MSR stakes, is a rock.

I would be tempted to leave the Leatherman, but it stays in my pocket anyway, and I think for an extra 3oz. having screwdrivers, pliers, wire cutters, scissors, a knife, etc. is worth the weight.

Travis

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Yup, like I said, when I might need pliers, I carry a multi-tool with pliers. But I don't need pliers for any of these uses most of the time.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

The SOG PowerAssist pliers certainly do not suck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I would be tempted to leave the Leatherman, but it stays in my pocket anyway, and I think for an extra 3oz. having screwdrivers, pliers, wire cutters, scissors, a knife, etc. is worth the weight.

Travis

Travis;
Hopefully this still Saturday morning finds you folks well and warm sir.

I'll admit - again - that it's been years since we've headed into the back country for days instead of "all day" or part thereof, so that taken into account I'd offer the following examples of fun in the BC back country.

We had a fairly new pack blow the stitching out of the bag on one side part way up the Kokanee Glacier. That led to carrying heavy needles, saddle thread, dental floss and duct tape on all our future trips.

Buddy's camp stove needed to be taken apart - a couple times - when we took a weekend jaunt up into the Cathedral Lakes.

Another buddy's boot blew the stitching out the side of it one evening coming off the mountain with his mulie buck hind quarters on our backs. I repaired it with a Leatherman, a flashlight in my teeth and the aforementioned needles and saddle thread. Nowadays I pack reading glasses too.

I can't begin to count the number of times I've extracted prickly pear cactus out of me, buddy, daughter, wife or horse for that matter in the back country with a Leatherman.

The same can be said for a decent little scissors - yes I carry at least 3 knives on me somewhere, but a scissors is handier and safer.

While I've not yet had to use it - thankfully - I'm a trained OFA and carry both butterfly adhesive strips and a suture kit in my pack. The suture kit looks to require something like a thin nosed pliers or a locking foreceps.

I did save a downed horse that was hung up on smooth wire - rancher buddy underneath it at the time too - with an original Leatherman - so they will work for emergency purposes too.

Now before someone points it out, I am cognizant that this isn't the horse section and it did bugger up the cutter faces to save that horse - but Ed and Bunjo thought it was a reasonable sacrifice for me to make. wink

Anyway Travis, I've had a folder in a pocket and a multi-tool on my hip for so long now I feel naked without one and that's more or less where I'm coming from.

When and if the day comes that the mountains are sufficiently steep that I can't make it with the extra 4oz on my right hip......well let's just say that'll be a sign for me won't it? frown

None of this is meant to poke a stick in the eye of the folks here that are much harder chargers than I ever was or intend to be Travis. I'm merely relating how I've used a multi-tool over 3 decades of walking and riding in the BC back country - sometimes far away from "mother's arms".

You folks have a good weekend Travis.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 02/15/14.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I consider a Multi-Tool an essential component of my backpack hunting gear. Many uses with little weight penalty.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I like one with a corkscrew. I can't count the number of times I've come upon a damsel in distress in the backcountry with a couple bottles of wine and no way to open it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've saved extra trips to buy a corkscrew because I've had a Swiss Army knife or multi-tool on hand.

Nothing like taking a lady on a romantic picnic and having to push the wine cork into the bottle....Lame.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's why you should only visit the backcountry with a woman who drinks liquor.......straight out of the bottle.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Anyway Travis, I've had a folder in a pocket and a multi-tool on my hip for so long now I feel naked without one and that's more or less where I'm coming from.

When and if the day comes that the mountains are sufficiently steep that I can't make it with the extra 4oz on my right hip......well let's just say that'll be a sign for me won't it? frown

Dwayne

I don't leave home without it. In fact, I check a bag when flying just to have a knife and Leatherman when I arrive.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's why you should only visit the backcountry with a woman who drinks liquor.......straight out of the bottle.

That is the best advice I've ever seen given on the internet.

I'm Irish...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes.
Golden.
Wine is for clingers.....

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Travis

Travis;
Hopefully this still Saturday morning finds you folks well and warm sir.

I'll admit - again - that it's been years since we've headed into the back country for days instead of "all day" or part thereof, so that taken into account I'd offer the following examples of fun in the BC back country.

We had a fairly new pack blow the stitching out of the bag on one side part way up the Kokanee Glacier. That led to carrying heavy needles, saddle thread, dental floss and duct tape on all our future trips.

Buddy's camp stove needed to be taken apart - a couple times - when we took a weekend jaunt up into the Cathedral Lakes.

Another buddy's boot blew the stitching out the side of it one evening coming off the mountain with his mulie buck hind quarters on our backs. I repaired it with a Leatherman, a flashlight in my teeth and the aforementioned needles and saddle thread. Nowadays I pack reading glasses too.

I can't begin to count the number of times I've extracted prickly pear cactus out of me, buddy, daughter, wife or horse for that matter in the back country with a Leatherman.

The same can be said for a decent little scissors - yes I carry at least 3 knives on me somewhere, but a scissors is handier and safer.

While I've not yet had to use it - thankfully - I'm a trained OFA and carry both butterfly adhesive strips and a suture kit in my pack. The suture kit looks to require something like a thin nosed pliers or a locking foreceps.

I did save a downed horse that was hung up on smooth wire - rancher buddy underneath it at the time too - with an original Leatherman - so they will work for emergency purposes too.

Now before someone points it out, I am cognizant that this isn't the horse section and it did bugger up the cutter faces to save that horse - but Ed and Bunjo thought it was a reasonable sacrifice for me to make. wink

None of this is meant to poke a stick in the eye of the folks here that are much harder chargers than I ever was or intend to be Travis. I'm merely relating how I've used a multi-tool over 3 decades of walking and riding in the BC back country - sometimes far away from "mother's arms".

You folks have a good weekend Travis.

Dwayne

See? Dwayne agrees with me. End of discussion, close thread.

Travis

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You're just jealous. Because you weren't the one who gave the best advice on the internet. Ever.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You're just jealous. Because you weren't the one who gave the best advice on the internet. Ever.

Only on the internet would it take this long for some people to understand that multi-tools have multiple tools.

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do the newer Wave's have any better steel in the pliars than the older ones? The culprit in the older ones is the wire cutters. They won't cut anything much harder than copper without notching. I use mine all the time but I have to go back to the tool box if I need to cut wire.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How could anyone that has a need for a corkscrew in back country even give a dam about weight...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Snap On has a good one. I prefer it over my Leatherman. But I'd still rather have my green handled full size Swiss Army knife. I've done about 5 moose with it now. From gutting to sawing bone it can't be beat.

Last edited by 7 STW; 02/16/14. Reason: added
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Snap On has a good one. I prefer it over my Leatherman. But I'd still rather have my green handled full size Swiss Army knife. I've done about 5 moose with it now. From gutting to sawing bone it can't be beat.
Snap On has it's multi tools made in China. Look at the specs on their web site.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the heads up. I try to stay China free when ever possible.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel
How could anyone that has a need for a corkscrew in back country even give a dam about weight...

Well, if you're not savvy enough to hide the wine in your buddy's pack then yes, you have a point. I think asking him to make sure he carries a corkscrew is a little over the top though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Do the newer Wave's have any better steel in the pliars than the older ones? The culprit in the older ones is the wire cutters. They won't cut anything much harder than copper without notching. I use mine all the time but I have to go back to the tool box if I need to cut wire.

I have 'cut' barbed and double strand smooth fencing wire many times with a Leatherman. Key to cutting is you don't want to cut the wire, just notch it a little and then break the wire by hand. Bend it a couple times and it breaks easy.

Obviously a fencing pliers is preferred but the Leatherman will work.

They also work very well for removing/replacing T-post wire clips, the needle nose has a 'cutout' that holds a clip perfectly. Again I wouldn't do it all the time though.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Well, if you're not savvy enough to hide the wine in your buddy's pack then yes, you have a point. I think asking him to make sure he carries a corkscrew is a little over the top though.

I don't know what sorts of things you're into, but in my case the buddy carrying the wine will have breasts, and not be a he.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This is the backpack hunting forum right?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This is the backpack hunting forum right?

Hey, if you're into hunting dudes, that's ok with me. But I'm not interested, thanks.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No, but I do go hunting with dudes.

Any misconstruction of that on your part is merely projection.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the Wave as well. Aint the lightest thing in the pack for sure. Still waiting for the day when you can pick and chose the blades/tools you want.

The old "Sideclip" model is my favorite by a mile. If it had a saw blade, it'd be perfect.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The leatherman charge or wave are clearly the ultimate tools. Weight aside, these two certainly provide the most logical selection and have the quality of materials to go with it.

Certainly not for the ultra weight conscious packer. I'm more inclined to keep my body fat minimal and not worry as much about the weight I carry.

Having watched guys with 25-30% body fat discuss the virtue of 23lb mountain bikes has always been very amusing. It's a lot more comfortable on a bike 28-32 lbs and way easier to climb hills with less then 20% body fat. But the almighty dollar always seems to compensate for physical effort!

I have needed and used a multi tool more then I can count on fishing and hunting trips. It's a very worthy companion in my kit. I'll just watch my body fat and not worry as much about a few ounces here and there with a few selected pieces of valuable kit.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Certainly not for the ultra weight conscious packer. I'm more inclined to keep my body fat minimal and not worry as much about the weight I carry.

Having watched guys with 25-30% body fat discuss the virtue of 23lb mountain bikes has always been very amusing.
I have needed and used a multi tool more then I can count on fishing and hunting trips.

Well, to each his own I guess. I'm not what you would call "ultra weight conscious," and I own probably 5-6 Leatherman tools as well as others. And I've carried them on backpack hunts. They're just one of the items I've found that I rarely if ever use on an actual backpack hunt, so I make do without, unless I think I may need pliers for some reason. If I need a saw, I bring a saw. I can't imagine cutting a skull plate on an elk with a multi-tool, and don't need screwdrivers or wire-cutters in the backcountry where I hunt.

As far as guys with 25-30% body fat discussing a difference of a few ounces or pounds, I'm with you there and I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't need to worry about that but you dance with the body that brung you. And one thing you can't do anything about is age and the dings that come with it; the older I get, the lighter I want my pack to be.

And as far as the extra body fat thing, I've seen the opposite as well. That is, guys who don't backpack hunt or don't hunt in a situation where weight matters who like to say "a few ounces here or there won't hurt anything." Start a thread on lightweight mountain rifles that save a couple pounds and sure as the sun shines someone will chime in and say "only a wimp can't carry an 8 1/2 pound rifle." And sure as the sun shines, they'll be someone who doesn't carry all their gear on their back in the mountains.

The thing is, "a few ounces here and there" applied to all you carry is really a few pounds. If your style of hunting is to hike in a few miles and dump your gear at a central camp then a few pounds may not matter. If you need to climb high or move camp around, "a few ounces here and there" does matter, regardless of your body fat percentage. YMMV.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=JJHACK]
The thing is, "a few ounces here and there" applied to all you carry is really a few pounds. If your style of hunting is to hike in a few miles and dump your gear at a central camp then a few pounds may not matter. If you need to climb high or move camp around, "a few ounces here and there" does matter, regardless of your body fat percentage. YMMV.

I don't know, I rarely hunt in the central camp kind of style and often its 10+ miles in to where I begin hunting. That said however, I don't think 5 or even 10 extra pounds on my back its gonna stop me from getting back there..maybe take a bit longer but not stop me.

With that said I try to go as long as possible, but I also at times don't shy away from some creature comforts either.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't shy away from creature comforts either, I carry two sleeping pads. And I've been known to carry in filets and potatoes for the first night or two, and apples, butter, cinnamon and a small skillet for fried apples, and cream for my coffee which is almost never instant. And I carried even more creature comforts when I was in my 30's.

I just don't like carrying stuff that I know I most likely won't use. I wouldn't criticize anyone for carrying a multi-tool or imply that they should go on a diet, what other people carry/don't carry is not my concern.

One last thing--I'd be willing to bet the 5-10 lbs of extra stuff you carry would be stuff you think you're likely to use, or you wouldn't bring it. Also that you carry a lightweight rifle. I'm guessing Kimber Montana in .308...... grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
smokepole;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust this finds you and yours doing acceptably well.

Your post made me smile a wee bit as when my good wife and I were in our late 20's we did a few pack in trips that spanned several days.

On our first one we headed up onto the Kokanee Glacier out of Nelson and once we got up onto the glacier itself were astonished to see fellow hikers who had packed in skis, ski boots and tucked into the ski boots - bottled beer! wink

One thing I know for sure and certain now is that like horses all humans are not created equally and some of us can pack a lot more than others of us will ever dream of.

My hat's off to the folks who are still able to go 'way back in on their own two feet - regardless of their age.

All the best to you and yours this week sir.

Dwayne

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well thanks Dwayne, same to you. Hope your weather up there is good, it's looking like Spring here, the dog found open water the other day for the first time in months and I had to get the hose out to clean him up--a sure sign of Spring.

One thing I know for sure and certain now is that like horses all humans are not created equally and some of us can pack a lot more than others of us will ever dream of.

Having read some of 'Lanche's posts, I think he fits squarely in this category.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
SOG multi-tools on clearance.

http://www.fieldsupply.com/

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

True, and thankfully there are excellent chiropractors to unphuuck your "military neck" (their term) in your late middle age....maybe.

There is a fine line between hard and stupid.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I have needed and used a multi tool more then I can count on fishing and hunting trips.

[/quote]

Same here.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No, but I do go hunting with dudes.

Any misconstruction of that on your part is merely projection.

That must be it. whistle

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey gotta tell you guys a short experience. In South Africa where I work there are plentiful thorn trees. Some are almost predatory.

I wear Gordens boots, they are made in South Africa for the bush. They have actual recycled tire tread for the soles kinda odd, but they protect your feet from the thorns really well. Even though I get punctures frequently in the truck tires.

Anyway, I was sneaking in on a white rhino with a client doing a green dart hunt when I had a big acacia thorn spear straight into the ball of my foot through the sole of these Gordens thorn proof boots! There is no shortage of tender painful regions on a human body. However the ball of your foot being punctured is just slightly less the a poke in the eye and a cracked tooth.

The thorn was flush with the sole or deeper, and embedded into my foot. I was pinned into my boot. It was not coming off and I was not going to walk on it. So I had my client use my leatherman pliers which I carry with me to grab the base of the thorn and pull it out. It took a bit of digging as it was broken off flush with the sole.

That multi tool really saved or at a minimum allowed this hunt to carry on to be successful. It was still quite difficult to go forth, but would have been brutal to continue with that 3" thorn through the ball of my foot!

I like the multi tools for some peculiar reason now.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

You definitely fall on the side of stupid.

Travis

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

True, and thankfully there are excellent chiropractors to unphuuck your "military neck" (their term) in your late middle age....maybe.

I'm 100% certain that Dwayne was not referring to himself there, and does not need to "un****" anything.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don't believe everything you read on the internet wink

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

You definitely fall on the side of stupid.

Travis

That coming from a stupid mofo who just opined that surviving a whore-tryst-garrote attempt would be "cool". You need to bump-fire a Glocksicle before you reproduce again.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

LOL, I don't believe a lot of what I read here, but I know how to read sign as they say.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

LOL, I don't believe a lot of what I read here, but I know how to read sign as they say.

HAHA well played! Still some need to get a clue, and realize no one believes anything they post. Some examples are even here in this thread. wink

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

That coming from a stupid mofo who just opined that surviving a whore-tryst-garrote attempt would be "cool". You need to bump-fire a Glocksicle before you reproduce again.

Not very Christ like.

Travis

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Not very Christ like.

Travis

Well, yes and no. I'm sure JC's vernacular would be markedly better but I'm equally certain whatever he said would have equal disdain.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hahaha. You're such a dumb [bleep]. Jesus loves everybody you stupid bastard. He only hates the sin.

Pick up a copy of the Bible some time. Maybe you won't be such a stupid sinner.

Travis

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

The Wave has essentially two-in-one cutters. The regular opposing wedges for soft wire like baling or electrical, and a hardened notch for harder wire.

[Linked Image]
3. Hard-wire Cutters
4. Wire Cutters

http://www.leatherman.com/10.html#start=30

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had a SOG for years. I like it that I can replace or change tools.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 1,347 guests, and 811 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,241
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.