Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bogtrotter
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by ingwe
No. Innocence lost is lost forever...

I have a 7x57 AND a 270Win.

I'll bet Ingwe would say, that makes you Bi!

I'm very comfortable where I'm @. grin

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You can go back. I recently rekindled my Ruger 243. Took it out of the McMillan, put it back in the boat paddle stock, slapped on a basic 3-9 scope, and will load up some 95gr ballistic tips. My problem is not only too many guns, but no gun is good enough as is. I always have to dick with them.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
My problem is not only too many guns, but no gun is good enough as is. I always have to dick with them.

You've got a witness!

Of course my next custom will be THE ONE that will end all that.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Haha, I sold my first custom and not even sure why. I am also about to rebarrel my last custom...it never ends.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't even remember when this all started......

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can when I JOINED THIS SITE when I was 18 I had guns and shot a bunch. but now all I want to do is buy trade tinker and get something different that was suppose to be better than what I just had. Most of the time I wish I had the old back smile

Never trust a man in a wheel chair...with dirty shoes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by matt_allen
I can when I JOINED THIS SITE when I was 18 I had guns and shot a bunch. but now all I want to do is buy trade tinker and get something different that was suppose to be better than what I just had. Most of the time I wish I had the old back smile

I can relate! I want my old pre 64 Model 70 in 257WBY back.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
well i went from when i was buying factory ammo and not reloading to now sizing 7mm brass to fit my 257 weatherby so i can shoot it with reduced loads of trailboss.

yep, i'm a looney and i guess it's permanent.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thought about this more than once and have come to the conclusion that each new rifle/shotgun is subconsciously and effort to go back. As if the gun can recapture some of our youth. And in some smoky corner of the mind, where hope springs eternal it does.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I did get that urge to go way back and I started finding my real old guns and they aren't as cheap as they once was...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Shrapnel those top two lever actions look awfully familiar.i can still remember my mom driving me to the post office to pickup my birthday present .a loop lever just like the one you have. I must have been about 5. Had a number of shoot n shell Mattel Winchesters and revolvers too. Like some one mentioned above I was a looney from kindergarten days.

Last edited by bangeye; 02/12/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The top is a Mattel Shootin' Shell, the next is a Hubley "Rifleman" and the revolver is the second part of the Mattel Shootin' Shell rifle/pistol set that I got when I was in second grade. I remember how much I wanted it when we circled the toys in the back of the Sears catalog when we were kids. The small rifle is a really old rubber band gun and the Spud gun was one of those you could get at Woolworths for 99 cents. The other 2 are the miniature rifles you could get at Woolworths also. The package of Shooting Shell shells and bullet tips are almost $60.00 in the original package if you can even find them...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My rifle loonyism took a dramatic downturn when I discovered overseas hunts.

Since then I look at a new rifle purchase as what could be the trophy fee for another critter.

I have since only bought a couple rifles since that first trip to Africa.

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
i put enough bb's through my red ryder to melt down and build a battleship. you'd think if i were going all the way back it would cost like $29, right? lol

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Shrap, that is just no fair. My long departed and much beloved grandparents, for a very memorable Christmas, gave me the Mattel saddle gun with the belt full of metal cartridges that actually worked through the mechanism. Later my grandma gave me the revolver that actually fired the little gray plastic bullets. I had a spud gun too which pretty much drove my mom nuts, as the little cores were all over.

All that was until one day when I was twelve and saw a High Standard Double Nine at the local hardware store. I took my grandma down there and showed it to her and she told the clerk we would be buying it. She then handed it to me and said something like: "Be real careful". I literally wore it out. And people wonder why we want to go back.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Shrap, that is just no fair. My long departed and much beloved grandparents, for a very memorable Christmas, gave me the Mattel saddle gun with the belt full of metal cartridges that actually worked through the mechanism. Later my grandma gave me the revolver that actually fired the little gray plastic bullets. I had a spud gun too which pretty much drove my mom nuts, as the little cores were all over.

All that was until one day when I was twelve and saw a High Standard Double Nine at the local hardware store. I took my grandma down there and showed it to her and she told the clerk we would be buying it. She then handed it to me and said something like: "Be real careful". I literally wore it out. And people wonder why we want to go back.

Same here with those guns. I got this BB gun and had to share it with my brother. Later I fell in love with Colt's SAA, but obviously couldn't have one. I did get a Ruger Bearcat from my brother's girlfriend and was in heaven. I wish I could get that gun back...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by ingwe
Its not too late to sell the loser�.you don't have to suffer under the burden of a gay rifle.

It never goes out the door actually. Last year the 257Roberts and 7mm were the go-to choices.

Does this make it less gay for me? Say yes.

Brothers. I have the same combo but unfortunately that is just one branch of my collection. SStill no 270 though.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by oldtrapper

Same here with those guns. I got this BB gun and had to share it with my brother. Later I fell in love with Colt's SAA, but obviously couldn't have one. I did get a Ruger Bearcat from my brother's girlfriend and was in heaven. I wish I could get that gun back...

[Linked Image]

That BB gun looks just like one I have at home. It has a compass in the stock, I can't remember who made it. Have you ever seen " A Christmas Story?" You'll shoot your eye out kid!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

Didnt know I needed a golf bag full of rifles for every occasion or that I could buy guns online and trade.

Didnt know mauser from Mossberg. I miss all that. Can I go back to not being a Looney? Lol

Coulda funded my retirement by now

Boy howdy, all 3 of those things were/are true of me!!!

A condensed story. My first deer rifle (1972) was a Model 94--enuff said? smirk Moved thru 2 243s, first one was a 788, wasn't satisfied, moved to a Win 670, BETTER than the first 2 but WAS NOT a 70.

By 1976 I bought a BRAND NEW 700 BDL 270 Win for $150.00 (those were the days!!)

***I SHOULDA stopped right there!*** Actually this is where the Ferris Wheel of my gun trading actually began. Can't tell ya how many or exactly which ones I had and went thru.

IF I had stopped with that first 700, 270 AND saved the money I spent I'd have A LOT MORE $$$ today. OTOH I can recoup some of it by selling off and reducing the inventory. Oh don't worry, my Dad had several guns and between him and myself, my kids and grand kids will be well equipped.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
While we are wishing, I wish that I had been no taller than Shrapnel, standing beside a '60 Olds. By then I was already keeping an eye out for folks who were driving them "inappropriately," ie., drunk, too fast, and etc. Oh well, age is "snowballing" on me.

But those were the days. I don't know what the law was as a kid. I do know that the hardware people knew that kids had to have a .22 and "shells". As a teen ager, I had some nice handguns. Two that come to mind were an American Eagle stamped Luger, and a SAA .44-40. I had a near do well uncle, that used me instead of pawn shops. I didn't charge interest, but did shoot up his ammo while his guns were in hock to me. He would get flush and buy them back.

I suppose my warping started early, as soon as I was able to do extra work or odd jobs to support my habit. We survived WWII with just a single shot .22 and rationed ammo. I never had a BB gun. Post war, when consumer commodities became available again, I went straight to a semi auto .22. That habit too, has "snowballed."

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 53 invisible), 2,676 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.