Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
All. I have 16 preference points in Colorado. I have hunted unit 80 near Alamosa two times and it was just a camping trip.

I am 65 years old, not in the best shape but I have seen worse. 210 poounds, 5 ft 10 inches.

Any advice on which unit to apply for? I am not wealthy so is there any cheap way to do this as far as using a guide, etc?

I cannot physically handle an elk by myself if I was fortunate enough to get one. Would you know of any locals who guide on the side?

I know I'm asking a lot but this will be my last hurrah.

Thanks...Bill.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Locals cannot legally guide on the side. Must be a registered outfitter.
Since you can't physically handle one that cuts the options down.

Not being in the best of shape, means you can't hike far and high,which cuts it down further.

That pretty much leaves it open to go on a less expensive guided hunt. Since it would be your last one, I would advise you to consider it. Could you afford $3300-$3500 plus tags and travel?

If not, you probably are looking at another camping trip while carrying a gun around.
I'm not trying to be rude. I'm 70 myself and have made some sacrifices to continue hunting. In 5 years,I expect to sell all my stuff and pay someone to take me.

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/07/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

model70man:

A nonresident can draw a bull tag in units 61, 66, 67, and 76 with 16 points. There's a pretty good chance of killing a representative bull in each of those units.

I concur with saddlesore's recommendation. You need to hire a licensed outfitter/guide.

There's no such place where you can tag a good bull elk with little work unless you have some pure dumb luck. You've already tried that and it didn't work. So if you're going to spend 16 points, you ought to make the best of it.

BTW I'm 66 and not in very good shape either. But I live at 6,400' elevation and I hike the high mountains throughout the summer. Sometimes it just takes patience and persistence.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
16 years of wait or 7k of savings for a good bull, which ever comes easier

Speculating ranch hunts I mean

Last edited by Spotshooter; 02/08/14.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
16 years of wait or 7k of savings for a good bull, which ever comes easier

Spotshooter:

It's not 16 years OR $7K. It's 16 years AND $7K. Actually he might be able to find a quality company that offers a fully guided/outfitted bull elk hunt for maybe $4,500.

The problem is that he's in no-man's land. There are a handful of good units that can be had for 16 points where he has a good chance of getting a nice representative bull. But the really premium units will take 20 points or more. So if he feels like he's getting too old to wait for five more years, then he should spend what he's got and hire a guide/outfitter to help him make them count.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Jeanne Horne of J BAR H Outfitters will set him up for a guided hunt at about $3500 and he can stay at her cabins at base camp. It's not hunting on private land, but she does pretty good success wise.

If I was him, I'd burn those points a for a ML hunt in Unit 12 which takes a NR 12-13 poiunts to draw.

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/08/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What saddlesore stated is a a good suggestion.
Unit 12 is a very good area for some larger bulls.

Elk are where you find them.........

Last edited by badaboom; 02/09/14.

Lifetime NRA MEMBER
Honorable - Disabled Veteran USAF SGT E5
Tradition, Preservation, People, Improvement
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes on the horizon
Georgia, DC, Germany, Colorado, California, Alaska, South Dakota
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Model70man,

Having hunted elk myself for many years, in WY, CO, and MT, I can well understand your situation. An elk is an enormous animal once you have it on the ground. If you are not in at least fair shape, it may simply be too much to even consider handling it by yourself. Particularly if you happen to kill the elk a good ways from the road, which is often the case.

Backpacking an elk out is a pretty good job, even on a good day. I find it pretty much takes a minimum of 4 backpack loads to get the elk meat out, not counting the head and hide. Younger, stronger guys might could do it in fewer trips. But a large adult bull is a big job. And all of that assumes that you know how to take an elk apart with a knife and can handle the repeated trips.

At a minimum you need a buddy to help with the work. A horse would be even better. And a guide with horses would be best of all. Unless of course you are hunting somewhere that you can reach with a vehicle, which has not been my experience.

It is also hard to locate elk, unless you are lucky or well experienced. Many hard hunting days find no elk at all, or no elk that you wish to pursue.

Given the above, along with your age and condition, recommendations for a good outfitter seem a wise choice. If it is really important to you to get a good bull, an outfitter is almost a must. You live too far away to scout the country yourself, and this might be your last elk hunt.

Grit your teeth, and do what you have to do to make it happen.

Elk hunting is worth what it takes!

Best of luck to you.

WyoM70

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Sometimes I stumble around words, but WyoM70 puts it down about as good as you are going to get..

I'm 70+ with COPD, a back that is held together with rods and screws and two bad shoulders,, I can handle an elk if I am careful. I can get it quartered ( no gut method) and barely hung in a tree. Sometimes that is just getting the quarters layed over a log. Sometimes it means cutting it in smaller pieces. Then I go back and get my mules, and hopefully a hunting pard to help load it on the sawbuck. Even at that,I have to rest for two days after doing it.However, without the mules to ride in and pack the meat out, I would not even consider going elk hunting and probably not even deer hunting.
So think hard and long of what you want to accomplish and how you are going to do it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
65 years old, out of shape, no way of getting out a Bull , except dragging or packing. Do yourself a favor stay home until you can afford a guide who has horses and can get the Bull out of the Mountain for you. I know I've been there and dragging a Bull isn't all that much fun. I gave it up two season backs, just can't do it any more. Getting a Bull Elk out of the Mountain is some of the hardest work i have ever done and if it hadn't been for all the help from my friends i couldn't have done it. I have killed 4 Bulls and 2 cows , I'm happy with Elk Hunting on Public Land and won't do it again in my life time i have left . If i have to go after Elk again it will be on a guided hunt and with horses. Hate to burst your bubble , but you have no real idea what you will be getting yourself into without help. I did all my hunting in Area 45

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by model70man
All. I have 16 preference points in Colorado. I have hunted unit 80 near Alamosa two times and it was just a camping trip.

I am 65 years old, not in the best shape but I have seen worse. 210 poounds, 5 ft 10 inches.

Any advice on which unit to apply for? I am not wealthy so is there any cheap way to do this as far as using a guide, etc?

I cannot physically handle an elk by myself if I was fortunate enough to get one. Would you know of any locals who guide on the side?

Thanks...Bill.

Bill -

Coming from low altitude at your age and then trying to get an elk out - well, someone may have to pack you out as well. Just being realistic.

That said, it is possible to find elk close to the road on public land, at relatively low altitude, and do so without burning any Preference Points. Cows, of course, are much easier. In 2011 my drag was under 300 yards (quartered up using a cart) and last fall I (stupidly) passed on a shot that would have been under 100 yards at the same place. (Had my eye on a bull and passed on a cow. Ended up with a cow at 1100 yards. Stupid.) In the two years I've hunted there I've literally seen hundreds of elk and passed on more shot opportunities than I can recall. Another spot I've hunted is similar, The problem with the place is the elk are seasonal - if the migration is on you're good, if not you'll be looking at a lot of empty space.

The guys that recommend a guide are, IMHO, right on. You need help with the animal and they can help locating them as well.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by model70man

Thanks...Bill.

Your couch. Seriously, if you're not in good shape WHY??????? even risk it. Theres no animal in the world worth a heart attack over!!!!!!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Well, if you are stuck on CO, there are a number of options, which all include Guides who can get you in and elk as well as your elk.

I have hunted CO several times, and it is a great place, but the altitude, gets many a hunter so something to consider.
I have a group of friends that are going on a fully guided, private ranch hunt, out of Meeker, that is out of a lodge. They cater to hunters of all ages, and capabilities and process your game as well. For ex one of my friends fathers, has some health limitations, and they are catering to him as well.

If you want to contact me, I am going with 5 people on a guided elk hunt in Montana. They had a big group cancel the week of Sept 21 and thus the week is open. MT is earlier and this is bugle season, and the weather, has a chance of being milder that time of year, rather than the rifle for CO.

It is a fully guided elk hunt, in the wilderness just south of Bozeman MT with horses. I have been with them before and it is a first class outfit. They have one other hunter in camp who is 70 (not part of our group) and he is hunting by himself, and if interested you could hunt 2X1 perhaps with him.
If interested, PM me and I will put you on to either outfitter, MT or CO. You never said what if any your budget is, but I can share the prices we are paying for each outfitter, and a couple other options.
However as I said, based on your description, fully guided is the way for you to go.
MM

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have to agree if you want a nice bull without lots of strenuous physical effort a guide is the way to go. But if any legal bull will do you can find some younger hunters that need a little mature help and hunt public land that is more accessible on an atv or walking timber on the edge of meadows. You wont ever be far from the sound of atv's and other hunters but about 1 in 4 connect in those places in a good year. I would certainly buy a cow tag if available. Early seasons East of Meeker and North of Rifle in the national forest would be the area that matches that description. One caveat - in an early snow year you will likely be out of luck. Traveling the roads and checking the draws is a good method for deer and sometimes produces an elk.........but it wont be the hunt of your dreams by a long shot unless you are extremely lucky. You get to keep your points save for the dream hunt and still get to chase around in the woods with an elk tag in your pocket.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There is some realistic advice in this thread. It sounds like you have done a realistic assessment of where you are physically. Seriously, if you intend to hunt CO high country this fall, you would be well served to start an exercise program now to get you in better condition. You don't have to be Superman, but any improvement in conditioning between now and fall will help. You are not that old, lots of people past 60 still chase elk. But like they say, hunt smarter. It has been too long since I paid attention to CO units, so I can't guess where to put your points, but here is some advice otherwise.

The truth is if you want a good bull, a guide is the best answer, and if you want to get back into wilderness type hunting, horses are the way. It did not sound like you have buddies to take along, so since you don't think you can handle an elk on the ground alone, you are really talking yourself into using a guide. 16 points is a lot of waiting. Why blow them on a low probability hunt? Or one that may turn into a real ordeal?

Having hunted several places in CO and other places in different states over the years, I can say it takes several seasons to get to know an area, learn the elk trails, their movement patterns, favorite cover, and then there are places where they are there during migration and very scarce at other times. Every year is different. One year opening day is 80 degrees, the next you are into the second blizzard of the fall. Since you are not local, you don't have the time to learn all this. You have already seen this in area 80 on your "camping trips". Elk are not just big white tailed deer - they act way different. They are not scattered evenly across the landscape. You would need to learn elk behavior, habitat, timing, patterns, etc. in a few short days. That is where a guide will earn his pay. Get a guy with good references, and trust his knowledge - that is his business. The rest of us weekend hunters, or even those of us who take a week or two at a time, have spent a lot of that walking empty country. Our advantage is we live around elk, observe them year round, and we may have time to go back for another try during a season. CO seasons are short and unforgiving. Increase your odds for success by using someone else's legwork and knowledge.

And one last thought, if you have the time, arrive a couple days preseason to get accustomed to the altitude. It takes a few days, and altitude sickness is nothing to take lightly - it can kill a person. Being in good or not good condition does not mean you will get it or not. The best preparation is a little time at higher elevation. You may have already experienced this. But if you do go with a guide, and you get back in with horses, you most likely will also be going up. Check with your guide to learn the local conditions and altitude. Increase your chances for a good trip and do some preparation.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Saddlesore has given you good advice. Contact Jeanne Horne at JBARHOUTFITTERS.com She is full for 2014 and only charges $3,800. Their are other expenses however. You will need to tip your guide around $300, the cook another $50, and the packer $100. You will have a great chance of success. Go to her web page and you will see some of the Elk her clients have harvested. I was standing next to Allen Clark when he shot the 6X6 she shows. I am also 65 and not in good shape, but her guides take good care of me. Worth exploring.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm 62 years old, 5'10", weigh 200 lbs and in fairly good shape but, would not even attempt to do it on my own. Two years ago, I tried a backpack hunt not far from GMU 80 (just south of Del Norte). I quickly realized that packing out an elk would not have been possible, even with the help from my hunting buddy (my same age). You've gotten some good advice. Find an outfitter.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I am a little older but have packed out the vast majority of my own elk. Including 4 in the last three years. If you cannot force yourself to get in "much" better shape, get a guide as suggested above.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Your couch. Seriously, if you're not in good shape WHY??????? even risk it. Theres no animal in the world worth a heart attack over!!!!!!

Maybe it is to him.

All my life I had to judge future hazardous actions based on my past and current situation.

Maybe 25 years ago he wouldn't have thought of doing this, but based on his OP, my guess is he's considered it. Especially by the mitigating nature of his questions.

No offense, but until you are sitting or have sat where he is now, all things considered, save the judgement.

Thankfully, a slew of folks have given him some solid advice. Hope it pans out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm 59 years old, I could be in better shape than I am, working on it. If there is anymore Elk hunting in my future and at this point in time its slim- its going to be from a back of a horse. And not by myself anymore- I learned that lesson on my last solo Moose hunt in 2005. When the time comes it comes, for some its sooner for others its later. At this stage of my life, White Tails are plenty, I can shoot 8 a season if I so choose. Two is more than enough. Now If I ever can get to retire- a little off the grid place with plenty of Sitka Black Tail Deer and good fishing nearby would suit me just fine. There is no shame in hiring an outfitter to do all the grunt work and supple of the stuff that goes into a proper elk hunt. Makes good sense if you don't live in Elk country or know the Area you are going to hunt.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 57 invisible), 2,170 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,361
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.