Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
[Linked Image]

I wouldn't use them either. What do I know. Our fathers and grandfathers have been killing schit dead with them for 40 years. Did I mention they are accurate?

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Interesting.. I put a 150 grain Accubond from a 300 almost though the chest of a large cow this fall.. I have no trouble seating them out in the magazine of my 700's...

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have never really considered the Nosler Partition a real expensive bullet, but Nosler does use Child Psychology on it customers by packaging them 50 to a box to ease price or sticker shock when buying them .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

nice Elk....

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by saddlesore

To save yourself a lot of time and thinking ,just buy some 180 grain partitions. Can't ever go wrong with them

Saddlesore's recommendation is a good one. But like he said later, there are many good bullets that will work.

Elk are not near as hard to kill as many seem to think, as long as the bullet lands in the right place and does what it should.

I have mostly used premium bullets for elk, and they have always worked well. Primarily Nosler Partitions and Swift A-Frames. That is what I will use this fall too.

Many other serially successful elk hunters have used less than premium bullets with total success.

You don't have to use Nosler Partitions, but if you are asking for advice, it is hard to go wrong with the 180 grain Partition for elk.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I've probably killed more elk and African critters than the average fella and 180-grain Hornady Spire Point Interlockeds have worked perfectly for me. But then, I'm perfectly satisfied with the .30-'06.

Stalk reasonably close, wait for the shot and place that single bullet properly ... and the deal is absolutely finished.

If a guy needs a magnum rifle with bulelts launched at warp-speed, then maybe Partitons or A-Frames are needed.

Frankly, I much prefer Hornady Interlockeds at '06 velocity, mostly because they expand properly and penetrate beautifully. On the one safari I used premium bullets in my '06, I was not at all satisfied with bullet expansion.

I guess it gets down to field experience, but I've killed well over one-hundred large critters with the .30-'06 and Hornady Interlockeds ... I'm a believer.

Of course, other's opinions may vary. And that's fine. Just keep in mind that killing ten or twenty elk only gives the hunter a hint of the answer, not the entire story.

kd

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by kududude

But then, I'm perfectly satisfied with the .30-'06.

Frankly, I much prefer Hornady Interlockeds at '06 velocity, mostly because they expand properly and penetrate beautifully. On the one safari I used premium bullets in my '06, I was not at all satisfied with bullet expansion.

Of course, other's opinions may vary. And that's fine. Just keep in mind that killing ten or twenty elk only gives the hunter a hint of the answer, not the entire story.

kd

Perfectly satisfied with the .30-06?! And you even took one to Africa? Next we'll discover you probably were shooting a push feed rifle! It's a wonder you weren't eaten by lions and run over by buffalo!!

Seriously, what type of premium bullets did you use in your .30-06 in Africa and just how did they perform?

You are right about trying to draw conclusions from limited field experience. It is hard to get enough direct experience in the US to truly know how more than just a couple of cartridge/bullet combinations truly work on game.

That's why forums like this are valuable. A hunter can learn from the experiences of others.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had 2 180 gr Accubonds come apart when shot from my 300 WSM. With one, I found the jacket against the far side of the chest cavity. I later found the core in the heart. It totally demolished the near shoulder, ruining 10lb or more of meat. I'll use about any bullet before I'll use another AB. I've had good luck with PT's, as has anyone else who's used them, but I can't say that they're much better than the Speer Hotcore which has been my go-to bullet for 30 years.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyoelk

Watched a calf suck up 5+ from a 300. One didn't even make rib cage after entering shoulder.

I can't load the long winded chunks of [bleep] where I like and get them to fit in the mags. You guys must have different rifles.

I guess that I do, for sure.

Over the last ten years, I have taken five large bull elk with ABs: one with a 200-grain (in a .300 WSM), one with a 200-grain (from a .338-06) one with a 250-grain (from a 9.3x74R) and two with the 260-grain (from a .375 H&H). The only one that I recovered was the 200-grain .338 bullet. I shot the animal at about 25 yards as it ran past me and the bullet went through the near shoulder, top of the heart and both lungs and was found just under the skin on the far side.

The bull shot with the 200-grain .308 bullet was quartering toward me and was hit between the shoulder and the neck. The bullet exited on the far side behind the last short rib, plowing through at least five feet of elk tissues. Not only was this was the largest-bodied bull that I have ever killed, it was probably the largest that I have ever seen.

All of but one of those were one-shot kills. One of the bulls shot with the .375 stood around long enough to catch a second one before he staggered backward and flipped over on his back.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My son killed this bull on our last trip to Colorado with his Wby Accumark in 7mm STW . He was using my hand load with the Nosler 140 gr Accubond and Rel 22. The Bull was around 200 yards coming up the hill from a drainage. One shot behind the shoulder and the Bull Collapsed on the Spot and skidded back down the hill for about 30 yards or more, DOA. The Nosler pasted through and wasn't recovered .

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I love the internets. You guys crack me up. The guy asks about shooting Sierra HPBT into elk and he get two pages of blah back guys with no experience shooting said pill into said critter.

I make a wise ass reply back to a fellow Wyoming hunter about my profound love for a certain Nosler product and the fan boys come a running. This earns the OP another page. Sorry boys, if your bullet cant get inside the rib cage of a calf elk, it goes into my junk category and doesn't get a second chance.

Another poster commented on ten or 20 elk. I agree with this. We average 10-12 elk a year from our camp with 90%+ being taken with that lowly Sierra bullet. My friends three kids have caused me years of back pain shooting Sierra's out of a lowly .308. The punks have grown up and graduated to 30-06 and .338's but they are still causing me yearly back pain.

They are cheap, accurate and they work. So will many other bullets. The list is long. As others have stated, placement is more important than stamps on brass or brand names on boxes.

OP.... take that rifle loaded with said pills and place one into a bulls boiler room. I suggest you do this three or more miles from the truck. This will show you how they work and teach you all about a host of other silly schit you should have been worrying about.

P.S. Accubombs still suck.

I suggest the OP start a thread concerning Bergers and elk. This will result in a 10+ page promised land of internet experts commenting who have no actual experience using them in the big brown critters. smile

Last edited by wyoelk; 02/12/14.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I helped gut a BIG 6x6 Roosevelt bull in the Coast range in Oregon. 200 grain Accubond out of a .300 Win Mag, 275 yards. I'll see if I can find a pic.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by wyoelk
I love the internets. You guys crack me up. The guy asks about shooting Sierra HPBT into elk and he get two pages of blah back guys with no experience shooting said pill into said critter.

I make a wise ass reply back to a fellow Wyoming hunter about my profound love for a certain Nosler product and the fan boys come a running. This earns the OP another page. Sorry boys, if your bullet cant get inside the rib cage of a calf elk, it goes into my junk category and doesn't get a second chance.

Another poster commented on ten or 20 elk. I agree with this. We average 10-12 elk a year from our camp with 90%+ being taken with that lowly Sierra bullet. My friends three kids have caused me years of back pain shooting Sierra's out of a lowly .308. The punks have grown up and graduated to 30-06 and .338's but they are still causing me yearly back pain.

They are cheap, accurate and they work. So will many other bullets. The list is long. As others have stated, placement is more important than stamps on brass or brand names on boxes.

OP.... take that rifle loaded with said pills and place one into a bulls boiler room. I suggest you do this three or more miles from the truck. This will show you how they work and teach you all about a host of other silly schit you should have been worrying about.

P.S. Accubombs still suck.

I suggest the OP start a thread concerning Bergers and elk. This will result in a 10+ page promised land of internet experts commenting who have no actual experience using them in the big brown critters. smile

Precisely why I posted this in my first reply.

"But I reccomended the partition to stave off pi$$ing contest of C&C vs premium"

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Whoops , we have stepped on the toes of the Elk killing experts from Wyo. I don't claim to be a expert like yourself and have only killed 6 out of seven trips and so has my buddy from Virginia. I hunt with my Friend and his three sons and some of their cousins who where born and raised in Leadville and they have killed killed more Elk than most who hunt them on this forum and most they have killed is with Ammo they can find the cheapest at Walmarts, they don't handload , usually Rem Corelocks. Elk aren't that hard to kill if you shoot them in the right place, and they are made much tougher to kill on the internet than in the woods. Every Elk we have killed we field dressed and dragged out whole or in one piece and this is why i haven't been in the last two seasons , just to dam old to drag Elk at 12,000 ft. My friend was a Paratrooper in the 101 with me. Growing up in Redcliff outside of Leadville , he killed all his Elk every year using a Savage 99 in 300 Sav with open sight and factory ammo until he got out of the Military and purchased a Remington 742 in 30-06

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
No toes stepped on at all. The man asked about shooting elk with HPBT. Do you have experience shooting elk with this bullet? No? Carry on stud.

I agree with SS. The partition is a fine elk killing bullet. Someone will be along shortly to expand upon how they suck though.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I agree with the rest of your post. Put one in the lungs. Sharpen knife. smile

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Here it is. 200 grain Accubond. This is a big Roosevelt.

[Linked Image]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
nice Bull

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Nice bull. The fact that he is in the truck whole speaks volumes.

Would you still be a fan boy after watching a calf suck up five? Still a fan after seeing one not even break ribs?

I have a list of bullets that work well.

And a short list that doesn't.

I would mention the TTSX but the fan boys would come running and it would end in me spending a week in Vegas doing blow off a HIV infected hookers ass.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Accubonds work , here is a hard case doe , all 70 or 80 lb's Left Hand SS 700 300 RUM and the 180 Nosler Accubond . Shot around 100 yards center of chest looking in my direction .

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (10gaugemag, 35sambar, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 14 invisible), 1,603 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,656
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.