Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#8579981 02/13/14
AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Considering the high cost of taxidermy (for a good one) in Alberta, I'm strongly thinking that I won't have any mounts done from my trip. I will have skull mounts done, likely in the RSA (about $200 a head mounted on dark coloured wood). Maybe some skins.

I was thinking of just mounting the kudu and gemsbok (if I am so fortunate to get them), but those two mounts would be $3600. Those two alone would be almost as much as I will spend on trophy fees (hopefully). I just can't justify the cost at this time. I think I would rather go a second time and take my daughters, than have some mounts that most of the relatives are creeped out by. For some reason the skull mounts are OK, but the eyes of a shoulder mount upset people, make them nervous. I know, but I can't choose relatives. smile

But it comes down to the cost. IMO, good taxidermy is priced far out of the realm of the common man. For NA game, I'll probably never mount another head. A skull mount is only a $200-250. Beats $1200 for a deer shoulder mount.

Am I bad for considering not getting any shoulder mounts done? Just skull mounts and maybe a couple of skins?

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
no...its part of the reason i like skull mounts cause ild rather go hunting somewhere else than pay for taxidermy for the most part.....if thats the route you are going ild make sure you have a really good camera and take lots of pics, combination of the skulls and a really nice 8x10 pic of the trophy in a frame under it looks nice and costs far less....would also want the hides of some of the critters, wildebeest hide looks way cooler than you would think.....

Last edited by rattler; 02/13/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Over the last 10-12 years about 50% take nothing but photos and videos.

25% take euro mounts and some skins

25% take enough to provide various types of shoulder life size and rugs/skins

These are not hard and fast numbers , but you get the idea where folks are going with the expenses.

The total cost for all the shipping and taxidermy is typically more expensive then the hunt.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I hunted RSA Limpoppo in June of 2013. Head and shoulder mounts on Buffalo, Waterbuck, Red Hartebeest, and Warthog plus back skins cost $2300 and transportation cost $2300 and importer cost $400. OK 5 grand after the hunt which cost $12,500. My prior hunt I had head and shoulder on a kudu and impala and skull mounts on the other 5 animals and taxidermists cost was $1800 with transportation another $1800.

I have always had my trophies mounted in country and have been highly satisfied. The work is of excellent quality.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I have a Kudu and Warthog shoulder mounts on their way from Limpopo, also from May '13. The rest are just skulls and skins. If/when I go back, the only other shoulder mount I will have done
is a Nyala. Lots of pictures and skins and skulls. It's too expensive. My total taxidermy and shipping bill will exceed my hunt.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
All you have for most of a year is photos, so -- take lots. The rest is absolutely up to you. Me? I had to get a few mounts...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm have 8 animals done here by my taxidermist
Eland
Blue Wildebeest
Kudu
Gemsbok
Impala
Zebra (pedestal)
Springbok
Mountain Reedbuck

Between dip and pack,shipping,clearing agent and taxidermist I'm looking at around $8000

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
. But it comes down to the cost. IMO, good taxidermy is priced far out of the realm of the common man. For NA game, I'll probably never mount another head. A skull mount is only a $200-250. Beats $1200 for a deer shoulder mount.

Those prices are outrageous! A skull mount on a nice wood plaque is $100 and a shoulder mount deer is $450 and this is from a great taxidermist

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I like to have one nice mount of each animal and mabe one skull mount from following hunts, but again only one per animal. Impalas and wart hogs get pics only as do multiples of animals on following hunts.

My problem is wall space to hang the dudes.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
I like to have one nice mount of each animal and mabe one skull mount from following hunts, but again only one per animal. Impalas and wart hogs get pics only as do multiples of animals on following hunts.

Same here on wall space I'm nearly full now and have all the African stuff still coming. Eland form came in this week I went to see it...it HUGE!
I will just rearrange things and take down some whitetail mounts,no need to have 10 deer on the wall

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by AB2506
Considering the high cost of taxidermy (for a good one) in Alberta, I'm strongly thinking that I won't have any mounts done from my trip. I will have skull mounts done, likely in the RSA (about $200 a head mounted on dark coloured wood). Maybe some skins.

I was thinking of just mounting the kudu and gemsbok (if I am so fortunate to get them), but those two mounts would be $3600. Those two alone would be almost as much as I will spend on trophy fees (hopefully). I just can't justify the cost at this time. I think I would rather go a second time and take my daughters, than have some mounts that most of the relatives are creeped out by. For some reason the skull mounts are OK, but the eyes of a shoulder mount upset people, make them nervous. I know, but I can't choose relatives. smile

But it comes down to the cost. IMO, good taxidermy is priced far out of the realm of the common man. For NA game, I'll probably never mount another head. A skull mount is only a $200-250. Beats $1200 for a deer shoulder mount.

Am I bad for considering not getting any shoulder mounts done? Just skull mounts and maybe a couple of skins?

I kind of like stuff on my wall to remind me of the safaris but it's personal preference.

The first time I went, it took 3 YEARS for my U.S.A. taxidermist to complete the work. The next time, I had Life Form Taxidermy do the work. All the trophies were in my driveway in a big box about a year after Life Form got them. I had more trophies done for less money and they looked as good or better than what I'd had done by the "award winning" U.S.A. taxidermist. The prices to have my mounts done is South Africa were a lot less than what you've mentioned.

I don't think I would have any taxidermy work done on this side of the big pond after my experiences but you do have to select your African taxidermist well. The quality of work some do is a bit poor.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I brought some stuff home from my first two trips to Africa. Have Kudu, Impala, Gemsbok, shoulder mounts. Next trip it was Impala, Kudu, Eland skulls and horns just dipped. Made my own plaques. Since then I've been on 7 other trips and number 10 will be this May. Only thing I've brought home is pictures. Taxidermy, shipping and clearance are just too expensive. When I see what it costs to get this stuff shipped it feels to me like I'm being robbed.

I've even left two Buffalo in Zim. Didn't have any room in my house for that large a mount. Better to use the $$ to fund another hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Originally Posted by MissouriEd

Same here on wall space I'm nearly full now and have all the African stuff still coming. Eland form came in this week I went to see it...it HUGE!
I will just rearrange things and take down some whitetail mounts,no need to have 10 deer on the wall

We had a fair number of mounts on our walls until a friend was over for dinner 1 night. She looked around and said "It's beginning to look like a lodge in here".
I was informed shortly thereafter that I needed to build a trophy room. Now the wife is happy and there is room for more mounts.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
AB2506; on our trip to Namibia we brought back eourpean mounts on plaques of 2 kudu, 2 gemsbok, a red hartebeest, an eland, a shoulder mount of a warthog. Hair on tanned hide from hartmans zebra, red hartebeest, gemsbok, and kudu. Other hides were tanned into leather.

From my limited experience bring two good cameras, a large one and a pocket one. Carry the pocket camera while you hunt, my wife carried the large camera most of the time. Take lots of photos. A great photo beside a European mount is a great look in my opinion.

Certain rugs look great in the house.

The leather was a great idea. R N Custom Leather works in Calgary created 3 briefcases and a purse along with other smaller items from 3 hides (eland, kudu, gemsbok) Ron Nurse did great work, he created patterns off of my favorite breifcase and my daughters favourite purse.

When we head to RSA in 2015 my planns are for European mounts, maybe a hide or two and leather. The briefcase is a daily reminder of the great hunt we had in Namibia.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Another point the warthog need touch up when it came to Calgary, as well as an uncorrectable fault the tusks were mounted at a very incorrect angle. If you do leave anything behind to be mounted leave lots of photos of the animal(s) with the taxi to ensure you et the best result possible.

W
W
MissouriEd who did you use?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I/we have 11 shoulder mounts and a Zebra rug from our two trips to RSA. Expensive taxidermy work? Yes, but when I look upon them I relive my adventures. We will return to RSA for our 3rd safari April 2015 for more plains game. My bucket list includes a very mature Nyala that we will have a full mount done. If, I say if, we come across another good to great Kudu I will take my 2nd and have him done in a European mount. This I will have the skull copper plated for a completely different look. I have two deer, a good WT and a better than average mulie, that I had the skulls bronzed for a truly imaginative feature. I mounted these on western red cedar plaques. I have seen a great deal of europeon mounts that truly are eye grabbing. Try to use your imagination and think what the scene appeared as you took them. Enjoy! MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Post a picture of the copper plated skull mounts

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We kind of did the same on our last trip there.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Ed I didn't know you played croquet wink

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I'm going to Namibia in August for my first safari in Africa. It's a 10 day plains game hunt and I expect I will mount 2-3 of my favorites (or the ones my wife likes the most) and get skins/skulls of the others. I saw some cool bookends last yr in a store that were small skulls mounted on a 1/2" steel rod and a steel plate for a base. I'm thinking of doing that with the Klipspringer and Bushbuck if I get them.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Ed I didn't know you played croquet wink

I rather enjoy it. Our annual summer party in Idaho. I hope my neighbor doesn't mind. grin

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
grin

AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
367 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,884
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.