Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
...16 inch battle ship guns aboard the USS Missouri

[Linked Image]

a photo of it at the dock, illustrating how big it really is:

[Linked Image]

The Mo is docked about 1/4 mile from the Arizona memorial. When you see all the names, you realize how many people died in an instant.

[Linked Image]

Also impressive, the number of survivors who chose to have their ashes placed in the wreck.

[Linked Image]

This photo looks into the MIssouri's fire control room. Yes, that armor is a foot thick.

[Linked Image]

It is a very worthwhile trip, seeing the AZ Memorial, where the war started, and then going to the battleship where it ended. I recommend it to anyone.

The only downside was coming back home, and coming down with a 101.7� fever frown

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 02/13/14. Reason: clarified

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm glad you got to see the "Mighty Mo'", I'd love to go to Hawaii some day and see all of that.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There is a bronze plate in the deck where the treaty was signed. I once reenlisted standing in front of it. For several years I spent my reserve active duty time at the sub base PH. Every time I was in Hawaii I visited the Arizona Memorial. I cried every time.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
L
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
L
You know you're into serious long range shooting when a successful firing solution requires factoring in the Earth's rotation.

Life - and the good sense to live it!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Tex:

Did you by chance go through the WW II sub that is moored in the same area? We really enjoyed walked through it.

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
The Arizona is absolutely worth the trip to Hawaii even if that is the only thing you go see. My wife's uncle is a survivor, last I heard there were only 8 or 9 left. When we were there in 2007 there were 28 living survivors.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Scott F
There is a bronze plate in the deck where the treaty was signed. I once reenlisted standing in front of it. For several years I spent my reserve active duty time at the sub base PH. Every time I was in Hawaii I visited the Arizona Memorial. I cried every time.
Dang - that was one thing I missed during my 4 visits to the sub base, touring the AZ memorial..

The pic of that foot-thick door amazed me. I had NO idea it would be that think. I'd love to visit a battlewagon - it was my second choice of duty if I failed getting a sub..

Originally Posted by logger
Tex:

Did you by chance go through the WW II sub that is moored in the same area? We really enjoyed walked through it.
USS Bowfin?

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
I'm glad you got to see the "Mighty Mo'", I'd love to go to Hawaii some day and see all of that.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So??? Which one of those in the Japanese delegation is packing Coach Chevigny's Norte Dame fountain pen???

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Chevigny

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've had the opportunity to go thru the USS Alabama docked in Mobile a couple of times. Standing close to a 16" projectile is a reality check. As well, seeing the work area for those feeding the guns powder & ball. There's also a small sub docked there. Can't remember the name but touring it is another reality check. It redefined claustrophobia. Then there was the B-52. Holy cow. Just standing under the drooped wings was amazing.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's the fountain pen story? Didn't find it in the link.

[but it's an established fact that I sit in the "slow section" around the 'fire]

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Follow the link and click on Biography. You'll see the story of the pen.

Bob

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by curdog4570
What's the fountain pen story? Didn't find it in the link.

[but it's an established fact that I sit in the "slow section" around the 'fire]

I've often thought it was more of a legend than fact. I was under the impression that the vast majority of Japanese troops and sailors on Iwo staid on Iwo. No way to get the pen off the island. I would have thought any plane or sub leaving that island after the first assault would have been turned into Swiss cheese! Heck even the Japanese high school boys that were there on a field trip and trapped were issued weapons of some kind!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Redneck
Dang - that was one thing I missed during my 4 visits to the sub base, touring the AZ memorial..

I cheated. I was a reservist working at the Trident base in Bangor, WA, The Missouri was still in mothballs in Bremerton but was open to the public. It was special to me it two ways. I was in DC A school in Philly in 68 when they were bringing her out of mothballs to put her back to work.

I also got to spend most of a day exploring the Texas several years ago. A good friend in Houston is part of the crew of veteran volunteers working on the restoration. To be able to crawl around the two old battle proven triple expansion steam engine was wonderful.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very cool!

My buddy Bob Bishop served on the Big Mo in WWII. He went on his greatest adventure the summer before last.

Godspeed to all who served!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

12" thick armor; I think we still need some ships like that.

I suspect that most of you know that NORAD is located in my home town. One day I was talking to the commander of NORAD at a party and I lamented that none of our Iowa-class battleships were in active service. He said that we didn't need ships with the ability to take a lickin' and keep on tickin' because our modern defenses were so potent that our ships would never get hit.

I think that's head-in-the-sand thinking. Throughout history we have always developed new ways to attack new defenses.

During the Falklands War in 1982, it took only one Exocet Missile to sink the British destroyer HMS Sheffield. Two other British ships, the HMS Coventry and the HMS Ardent, were also sunk during the war. It took only one torpedo launched from a jet based on an aircraft carrier to sink the Argentine light cruiser ARA General Belgrano. How short people's memories can be.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Back in the late 1960s my Grandad took us kids to tour the USS Missouri, in Bremerton WA. I thought it was really cool.

Then in the late 1980s, when it was recommissioned, I had the fortune to be on the aerial observer team, that called the fire missions during her firing quals at San Celmente Island CA.

We were shooting 1900 lb High Explosive projectiles from about 16 miles offshore, and observing from a Huey. Did adjustments with one gun, then full 9-gun broadsides in the Fire For Effect. It was truly awesome.

Prefire Brief at Long Beach CA, I'm on the left.

[Linked Image]

Live-fire at San Clemente Island CA, a couple of projos visible in flight,

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We toured the New Jersey when we were in Philly last summer. Battleships are very cool, see one of them if you get a chance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shootem
I've had the opportunity to go thru the USS Alabama docked in Mobile a couple of times. Standing close to a 16" projectile is a reality check. As well, seeing the work area for those feeding the guns powder & ball. There's also a small sub docked there. Can't remember the name but touring it is another reality check. It redefined claustrophobia. Then there was the B-52. Holy cow. Just standing under the drooped wings was amazing.

Toured the USS Missouri before it was hijacked from PSNS Bremerton where it was mothballed to Hawaii.

I also toured the WWII German Sub at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago back in 1959 when I was stationed at Great Lakes Training Center and yes you are right it does redefine the term claustrophobia.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by W7ACT
Originally Posted by shootem

Toured the USS Missouri before it was hijacked from PSNS Bremerton where it was mothballed to Hawaii.

I also toured the WWII German Sub at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago back in 1959 when I was stationed at Great Lakes Training Center and yes you are right it does redefine the term claustrophobia.

I have been on the U-505 too. Read WE CAPTURED A U-BOAT

by REAR-ADMIRAL DANIEL V. GALLERY. Maked the trip to the U505 even better.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck

The pic of that foot-thick door amazed me. I had NO idea it would be that think. I'd love to visit a battlewagon - it was my second choice of duty if I failed getting a sub..

Originally Posted by logger
Tex:

USS Bowfin?

Correct, USS Bowfin is the sub that is parked there. On this organized tour I did not have time to tour the sub, but I'll try to do it next trip. I have more pics at home, that I'll upload tonight.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,118
Posts18,464,562
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.