Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I would think Granby area would be good. Camping (Williams Fork/National Forest) , hotels,City Market, fishing and a large (free)shooting range are all nearby and in summer it's at 8,000 ft. average high in July is 75 with only 1.5 inches of rain.

Last edited by LostHighway; 02/16/14.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ill come down ifi can make it work.....went all the way to New Mexico back in August so Colorado is prolly do able if it works around what i have going on....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey Lost highway -- I'm not as familiar with the Granby area. I have driven through there on motorcycles. I know pine beetles ravaged pretty hard north of I-70. Do you have a specific area for a group camp in mind to consider?

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by LostHighway
I would think Granby area would be good. Camping (Williams Fork/National Forest) , hotels,City Market, fishing and a large (free)shooting range are all nearby and in summer it's at 8,000 ft. average high in July is 75 with only 1.5 inches of rain.

I haven't been to that range in a long time, but as I recall it's only 200 yards, unless it's been improved since I was last there.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Hey Lost highway -- I'm not as familiar with the Granby area. I have driven through there on motorcycles. I know pine beetles ravaged pretty hard north of I-70. Do you have a specific area for a group camp in mind to consider?

There are several National Forest campgrounds off Hwy 125, which start about 10 miles up north toward Rand/Walden. I've driven Hwy 125 many times though never turned off any of the N.F. roads.
Williams Fork Reservoir (at Parshall) has free camping on the reservoir, fire rings, tables, pit toilets, and a boat ramp. During the week shouldn't be too many people. The area attracts lots of fishermen on weekends. Camped there a few times, can't remember if they have water or not. It's about 3 miles to the Colorado River and 21 miles to Granby. There is a large (free)DOW shooting range directly off Hwy 40, if I recall it is between the Williams Fork turn off and Granby. Nice area with lots of Cottonwoods along the river.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When are y'all wanting to have this get together? I would prefer the high country and would prefer late July/early Aug so I can go look for some big deer grin

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
NFS Campgrounds generally don't work for these kind of gatherings. We could have anywhere between 12-50 people and 10-25 rigs, so the area chosen needs to be big enough to handle the upper range, but still be a good set-up if it is on the lower end. Think elk hunting camp on a much bigger scale.

It will need to be scheduled over a weekend (or leading into one).

It needs to be somewhat remote to avoid crowds and a good shooting area needs to be close, ideally in the same vicinity. Even though shooting is completely legal on most federal lands, we are smarter if we choose areas less frequented unless we want unwarranted attention from local Sheriff's department or the NFS officer. Of course, it goes without saying that the shooting area needs to be open, somewhat level and a good backstop.

I think most people want it be in the mountains somewhere. If we go High country in the major ranges, it will have to be July/August due to 130%+ snowpack. If we choose a drier, lower elevation area like the Tarryalls, snow won't be an issue.

If we decide to do it in the same place as last year, I'm happy to help organize it - and KC probably would too, since we scouted this spot last year.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 02/17/14.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here is a link to the page from past year's event that show's last year's location and some pictures of the area.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7572182/14

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
hunstsonora - you suggested backside of Guanella Pass.

Does it have the elements listed above: (space, privacy, area for shooting, etc?)

I'm certainly up new country.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
List of interested so far.

z1R
WyColoCowboy
KC
dogcatcher223
SuburbanHunter
CCCC
colodog
achadwick
Dogshooter
Tracks
northcountry
dennisinaz
The Yetti
huntsonora
superdave
LostHighway
rattler
antelope sniper

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 02/17/14.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Cowboy, I'm interested as well.
I'm just not too picky.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Cowboy, I'm interested as well.
I'm just not too picky.

Added. smirk

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Does it have the elements listed above: (space, privacy, area for shooting, etc?)

I think so, I will get you some info on the area. Its Geneva creek road on the backside of Guanella Pass. There are some good camping spots there. When the snow melts we can go check it out. There is a lot of wildlife there. I have seen mountains goats, elk, deer and bear right there. Its a beautiful spot

Last edited by huntsonora; 02/17/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looked it up, like what I learned.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
"When the snow melts" Call Al Gore. This year that could be labor day... lol

[Linked Image]
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsonora

I think so, I will get you some info on the area. Its Geneva creek road on the backside of Guanella Pass. There are some good camping spots there. When the snow melts we can go check it out. There is a lot of wildlife there. I have seen mountains goats, elk, deer and bear right there. Its a beautiful spot

Yeah, I agree with huntsonora. I looked at it via Google Earth and the Geneva Creek Road (USFS 119), a few miles south of the old Geneva Basin Ski Area, looks good. I'm up for joining you guys on a scouting trip when the snow melts. This place is higher and wetter than last year. Looks like prettier country because the vegetation appears to be more montaine zone. Last year the vegetation was more foothills zone and drier.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'd love to explore as well. I have a place up in the Sawatch Range that might be good, but I need to research it before throwing it on the table.

Erik

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 02/18/14.

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Erik, I live near the Sawatch, where did you have in mind?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was thinking maybe above Cottonwood Lake or somewhere off the West side of the Divide over Cottonwood Pass.

Another potentially good location is northwest of Kremmling off Hwy 134 over Gore Pass. The terrain there isn't super-extreme, lots of huge parks and not as well traveled in the summer. K_Salonek and I hunted that area for elk last fall.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another potentially good location is northwest of Kremmling off Hwy 134 over Gore Pass. K_Salonek and I hunted that area for elk last fall.

I hope Kevin makes it to this year's get together.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1234, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 63 invisible), 2,748 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,052
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.