Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I often wondered how much fish looked up and out of the water. After fishing Woolly Buggers over the years, I have witnessed almost the same activity with trout and had them hit the Woolly Bugger upon striking the water...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Awesome stuff!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I had an absolutely stoopid amount of fun up in Anchorage one evening with MissT. Now, before your minds wander into the gutter, realize that t also involved what were probably Silver smolts and a size 16 Adams. Not a single fish was caught, but dozens were coaxed into leaping full body lengths into the air. A good 4" or so. Followed by pizza and beer at the Mooses Tooth.

Good times...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are few things while fishing that excite me more than having a fish rise to a dry fly. A couple of times a summer I have to go out and work the surface. The fishing in that video would be nirvana for me. An IPA and a Mooses Tooth pizza is always a good way to finish the day.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was fishing a small stream with many small beaver dams and associated pools, As I wriggled through the willows I came upon a nice pool where what looked like small golden crane flies were fluttering above the water apparently egg laying. I watched for about 30 minutes as small brook trout would leap out of the water to grab them, very much like in the video except a few actually launched completely out of the water and caught them on the down side of the arc. I was so amazed that I watched til it got dark without casting a line. It will remain one of my most cherished moments in fly fishing.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I seen the same sort of thing during the White Fly hatch in late summer. one of the most exciting times I ever had fly casting for trout was a year when there was an over abundance of hoppers. For about a month, I had some of the easiest lazy dry fly fishing of my life. Only time I changed flies was when the current hopper fell apart - it would take around 40 or so fish to do and that is a good day in most places. Those sort of times on a stream are few and far between. I can count maybe six such days in 51 years of fly casting for trout and such. I seen some really interesting things while fishing. My most memorable was a fall day and a 12 point buck stood above a pool I was fishing- I was catching trout and he just stood there watching me for a good 20 min before taking another drink and moving on his way.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

488 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,415
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.