Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm laid up here after shoulder surgery and well, frankly it IS the middle of winter. Gonna be a month before planting any salad and peas and two months til turkey season.

Let's post some pictures! Anything, last year's hunts, backpacking trips, fishing, hiking, scenery...anything will do. I just like seeing others' photos. I'll start, and yes, most of you have probably seen most of these:

Rock Chuck packing in our camp last October with "the boys" during our Idaho mulie hunt.

[Linked Image]

We were camped about two miles back down in that "hole" in the background. This morning we were hiking back to retrieve our previous days mule deer kill with the two largest llamas, Jack and Blue.

[Linked Image]

We hunted some beautiful country

[Linked Image]

The last day was cold with a little snow.

[Linked Image]

An overnighter with my little gal

[Linked Image]

Last spring's turkey.

[Linked Image]

Her first trout!

[img]http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k562/bigtroutphoto/2013/SAM_1698copy.jpg[/img]

First hike early last year.

[img]http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k562/bigtroutphoto/2013/2013misc-5.jpg[/img]

Last edited by snubbie; 02/22/14.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by snubbie
I'm laid up here after shoulder surgery

I'm sorry to hear that... heal up quickly!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Idaho trip, 2012
[Linked Image]

Turk's Cap lilly in N. Carolina
[Linked Image]

A rain shower of Looking Glass Rock in NC

[Linked Image]

Ivester Gap in Shining Rock Wilderness, NC

[Linked Image]

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
I'm laid up here after shoulder surgery

I'm sorry to hear that... heal up quickly!

Thanks, doing okay and already working on moving it some per Dr. orders.

Narcotics are good! whistle

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What's the surgery, and what's the doc's prognosis for backpacking?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I had calcification in my shoulder joint and juncture where the collarbone meets the shoulder. This crap rubs muscle and tendon tissue and some positions would about bring me to my knees. I've never felt pain like that. I had to be extremely careful last Fall when mounting a pack on my back!

Doc is aware of my outdoor activities, backpack hunts, etc. His 2nd grader is classmates with mine and he's always been interested in my Idaho backpack trips. He has a 10 year old that deer hunts. The Doc isn't a hunter, but takes his son and encourages it. He also know I've been taking my girl on short backpack trips.

He conveyed to my wife, post surgery, he was alarmed at how much my shoulder had stiffened. He said get out of the sling in 24 hours, start moving my arm, and start PT next week. He indicated that when that stiffness is present to the extent it is, the muscle can quickly "shrink wrap" the shoulder joint causing lockup.
He told her "as active as he is, he needs to start moving tomorrow, I don't want that joint to lock on him."

He also gave me another Prednisone pack, which can be some nasty stuff, but is very effective against inflammation. This I believe he did so I can get started NOW on PT.

So I'm already moving and today (48 hrs) I will remove the bandages. I should make a full recovery but I have to get busy and serious now with PT and be diligent about it.

I won't see him again for 1 1/2 weeks but start PT Wednesday.

Not really sure what causes this, most likely osteoarthritis related. I have some friends who very much is involved in more natural cures and preventive diets. Magnesium seems to be related to calcium absorbtion. I'm looking into that but being active and staying in relatively good shape for my age, I think sometimes it's just the "luck of the draw".

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Brad, here ya go.(and anyone else interested)

Here is a couple surgical photos of my joint showing the calcium deposits in the joints. Doesn't require much imagination to understand results of that crap rubbing against tendons and nerves. Ouch!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is after cleaning it out. You can see inflammation. I have no concept of the orientation of these photos but you can clearly see the joint cleaned of that nasty calcium deposits.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Anyway, that gives some idea. Clearly not the intent of "let's post some photos" but for those of you who are active, and everyone on this forum is, especially those middle age dudes, be aware of pain and if it steadily increases, don't ignore it.

And you younger guys, take care of your joints while you can. "No pain, no gain" is BS. Use your head or you may end up paying later on. There's ways to stay in shape without damaging yourself.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Anyway, that gives some idea. Clearly not the intent of "let's post some photos" but for those of you who are active, and everyone on this forum is, especially those middle age dudes, be aware of pain and if it steadily increases, don't ignore it.

And you younger guys, take care of your joints while you can. "No pain, no gain" is BS. Use your head or you may end up paying later on. There's ways to stay in shape without damaging yourself.

Agreed with all the above.

Thanks Snubbie... sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread, but any surgery is a tough thing, and I wasn't aware you were lined up for it.

Do what your PT says and heal quickly... looking forward to more of your trip photos from the future!

Best,

Brad

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I ran into these guys a couple years ago while bowhunting deer (didn't have an elk tag). That 6x6 would have had his own harem anywhere else but he was a satellite bull to a huge one further up the hill. That one had 20+ cows and he wasn't sharing.

[Linked Image]

Mrs Chuck on a trip to some lakes at about 9k.
Snubbie - if you were to get out here sometime in the summer, I'd take you up up there. It's about my favorite spot. The 2d pic is the 2d largest of 4 lakes up there. However, I've NEVER seen a deer in there. Not one.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

elk hunting with the Mrs. (there's a long story with this pic)
[Linked Image]

...and finishing off the day with a creek cooled long neck.
[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great pics!!

Snubb- sucks about the shoulder. Get after it in PT! Muy importante, especially with shoulders!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We hiked the Chilkoot trail mid August of 2012.

After a couple days on the flat you start up. This is looking back down the trail.

[Linked Image]

Looking ahead from "the scales" where miners had to weigh their ton of materials before they could cross into Canada.

[Linked Image]

And yet more climbing with a false summit.

[Linked Image]

Over the top now heading down into Canada.

[Linked Image]

Looking back up at the summit. That box at the top is an outhouse.

[Linked Image]

We lucked out and had great weather the whole trip.

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/mycalypsogreen/P1010356_zps306741f4.jpg[/img]

Bear Loon lake.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/mycalypsogreen/P1010377_zps9ab9bee8.jpg[/img]

Then on to Bennett to meet the train back to Skagway. I think we did it in five days, 33 miles starting at sea level. I think the summit is 3,600'

http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/chilkoottrail.htm

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No pain no gain is true til about 35

After that, getting to the point of pain is the trick without exceeding that level. This in my opinion is where the damage threshold is complicated

At 50, injury recovery is brutal. What hurt or made me miserable for a week in my 20s is now many weeks of recovery.

Not sure what 60 or 70 has in store for me yet, I'll let you know.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm 65 and so far I haven't had any serious stuff to recover from. I did jam my left ACL about a year ago at work but it healed without surgery and I was able to do the pack trip with Snubbie in Oct.

Snubbie posted this pic of me with 2 of the llamas but he failed to mention that the trail is every bit as steep as it looks. Even with no load, it'll get you puffing. A couple weeks before the season, I took 2 partially loaded llamas up it on a scouting trip and they got a workout. We ended up camping below this stretch because it was so steep that I couldn't find a decent camping spot with both feed for the llamas and enough flat space for the tent.

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
OK

Attached Images
ck.jpg (73.77 KB, 69 downloads)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tkinak
We hiked the Chilkoot trail mid August of 2012.

After a couple days on the flat you start up. This is looking back down the trail.

[Linked Image]

Looking ahead from "the scales" where miners had to weigh their ton of materials before they could cross into Canada.

[Linked Image]

And yet more climbing with a false summit.

[Linked Image]

Over the top now heading down into Canada.

[Linked Image]

Looking back up at the summit. That box at the top is an outhouse.

[Linked Image]

We lucked out and had great weather the whole trip.

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/mycalypsogreen/P1010356_zps306741f4.jpg[/img]

Bear Loon lake.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/mycalypsogreen/P1010377_zps9ab9bee8.jpg[/img]

Then on to Bennett to meet the train back to Skagway. I think we did it in five days, 33 miles starting at sea level. I think the summit is 3,600'

http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/chilkoottrail.htm

I really want to do this trip sometime! Thanks for sharing the pics!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey I'm game.
Snubbie, hope the shoulder is healing well! I knew I was having my knee replaced about a week after modern in WA this year.
Was really hoping not to hike too much or have to track and drag anything too far.
Day one, afternoon one I'm walking through a wheat field to a hay bale blind on the edge. Never got to the blind!
I saw doe ears just over the rise in front of me and backed off before spooking her. Cut down the draw to the edge of the field to see four deer moving onto the field in front of me. They had no idea I was there.
I hustled up the hill behind them, got low as I neared the top and this old buck was feeding his way up the other side. I went to ground on my fanny pack but was too low. Got into the sticks, ranged it at 286, turned my bdc dial to 290 and pulled the trigger on the Winchester 88 in .308. Never had a boom flop before but I was so grateful to see this guy go down with his hooves about 3 feet in the air before falling back to earth.
Best part was driving out into the field and throwing him in the Suburban by 4:00PM!
For an old deer the meat has really been good.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So I'm already moving and today (48 hrs) I will remove the bandages. I should make a full recovery but I have to get busy and serious now with PT and be diligent about it.

I won't see him again for 1 1/2 weeks but start PT Wednesday.

Sorry to hear about your shoulder. I have been thru the whole frozen shoulder joint thing. Its a real SOB. Stay after the PT as much as you can stand and hopefully you can head off the joint freeze up.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My 26 year old daughter and I backpacked in the Sawtooth Nat Forest.

Here are some photos she took with a little point and shoot Lumix waterproof camera.

Daybreak from the tent:

[Linked Image]

She took this photo while landing this little brookie just to try out the waterproofness of the camera.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LostArra
My 26 year old daughter and I backpacked in the Sawtooth Nat Forest.

Here are some photos she took with a little point and shoot Lumix waterproof camera.

Daybreak from the tent:

[Linked Image]
Nice shot. Early morning shots often catch water at it's smoothest. This sun rise is one that I took a couple years ago at a high elevation lake.

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Here are some pics from my fun (but unsuccessful) solo mule deer hunt in the Pecos Wilderness:

Spent the first night getting snow + rain + hail. I was packing light with just the rainfly and poles, but it did OK.
[Linked Image]

Hiking further up canyon into one of the creases
[Linked Image]

HOPE!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Final morning. Had seen a few deer on this ridgetop and set up for an sunrise opportunity. No deer that morning...
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Shoulder surgery is painful, having rotator cuff surgery on both, I can testify. Meanwhile pictures are good therapy...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The girls packing out of the highcountry last summer...

[Linked Image]

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Tell me about this snow cave. I don't believe I've ever seen this. Looks like it is a huge mound of snowpack that has melted or otherwise been eroded from within. confused

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The Tetons from the Snake River during a float last summer
[Linked Image]

Another shot of the Tetons and Snake

[Linked Image]

A Bighorn Ewe on Mt. Washburn, YNP last summer.
[Linked Image]

Sawtooth Nat Forest, Idaho

[Linked Image]

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tell me about this snow cave. I don't believe I've ever seen this. Looks like it is a huge mound of snowpack that has melted or otherwise been eroded from within. confused

Tough spot to get into, but my wife and her girlfriend (both over 50 yo) managed it well. The Snow bridge is made by the outflow from the lake above. The photo was taken last Sept.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Some statue I saw in New York...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
deep snow in mtn valleys often melt that way. The water running under them carries more heat than the air and it starts melting above the water.

― George Orwell

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Some statue I saw in New York...

[Linked Image]

That's a cool shot!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
NC needs an elk season!
[Linked Image]

Last edited by snubbie; 02/23/14.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And the girls packing out...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool stuff guys- I can't wait for the summer!

[Linked Image]

Short hike/Rock Blasting Session...

[Linked Image]

Awkward Position Rockchuck blasting!

[Linked Image]

Elk hunting, I swear...

[Linked Image]

Camp

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is one of my top 3 favorite places on Earth. I've seen a bunch of deer die here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pretty classic mulie country come late October-Winter (Early September, though)

[Linked Image]

My Dad/Hunting Partner on the packout of my buck this year.

[Linked Image]

Elk hunt with 30338 this year. Unfortunately I proved to be a bad-luck charm.

[Linked Image]

Pretty good haul into where this pic was taken.

[Linked Image]

Tanner

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Awesome pics Miller!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Morning piss:
[Linked Image]

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Awesome pics Miller!

Very.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
[Linked Image]

This guy's lovin' it.

[Linked Image]

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Were you through hiking the Bob? Foolish endeavor without Adair's guidance.

Tanner

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Northern Utah near the Idaho border

[Linked Image]

Old mill in Cades Cove, Great Smokey Mtn Nat. Park

[Linked Image]

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Tanner
Were you through hiking the Bob? Foolish endeavor without Adair's guidance.

Tanner

[bleep]' axe killed my back.

Travis

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Great pictures! Let's keep it up

Here's something a little different. How about a comet.

[Linked Image]

Rock Chuck in the snow. We had climbed up predawn from way down there behind him.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Idaho
[Linked Image]

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking down on the lakes from picture above ^

[Linked Image]

Last edited by snubbie; 02/24/14.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Our sheep camp got a little wet and cold last year:
[Linked Image]
One of our elk camps from last year:
[Linked Image]
A spring bear camp, on a trip that turned from a hunting trip, to a camping trip: [Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A grand old river ends:
[Linked Image]
Some trails just beckon:
[Linked Image]
A solo bear trip, sitting watching a spring storm blow in:
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This has always been one of my favorite shots, taken north of Sun Valley, ID. The 2d shot is from the same spot but turning 90 degrees. I've taken 3 nice bucks off the top of that rock pile. I dragged Snubbie up there last fall when it had snow on it and he decided that I'm out of my freaking mind. Snubbie is very perceptive.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is a strange one. It's in the same area as the previous 2 pics. This is a volcanic rock, about 6' in diameter, sitting on top of a granite/basalt ridge. It's totally out of place. If it was thrown here by a volcano, it had to have flown a lot of miles.

[Linked Image]

And finally the Chucks looking over the Exit glacier in AK
[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shrapnel
[Linked Image]
I like pictures of old dead trees too. Yours reminded me of this one: [Linked Image]
This band of ewes and lambs were on the ridge in the back of that tree picture. We climbed up beside them the next day:
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This tree isn't dead.

[Linked Image]

this has nothing to do with hunting, hiking, or camping. It's a stud buck we used to have who was good for entertainment value. We called him Buford because he was one.

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Here are a few random shots, last year's horns with a Kifaru LH Guide pack:

[Linked Image]

Summertime, and the livin' is easy:

[Linked Image]

These guys are serious:

[Linked Image]

My good side:

[Linked Image]

Native cutts:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Goat rope, without the rope:

[img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/cpwatts_2006/DSCN1479.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/cpwatts_2006/DSCN1425.jpg[/img]

parting shot:

[img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/cpwatts_2006/P9110128.jpg[/img]

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Almost sunup in the Montana Beartooths.
[Linked Image]

And here it is!
[Linked Image]

Looking back.
[Linked Image]

My destination.
[Linked Image]

The fruit of my labor.
[Linked Image]

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
how'd ya cook 'em?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I turned 'em over to my SIL after I got back home that night.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
that's cheatin' grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Naw, just being smart! whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see that I mislabeled the third picture. Actually that was on my way out that evening.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I drive passed that barn every day.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do you like old buildings? This abandoned ranch house sits right next to I-84 a few miles south of Baker City, OR.

[Linked Image]

I like sunsets. This is the Gulf of Mexico from the air off the west coast of FL
[Linked Image]

Idaho's Sawtooth mts in the fog
[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
There is a prevailing wind on the prairie in Oklahoma:

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Speaking of houses, here's the house I designed and built solo 2012/13:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I volunteer for a local SAR team. In January of 2013 we did 3 searches for missing persons in 3 weeks. By the end of the 3rd my left knee was killing me. Waited around a couple of months and it got no better. I had a large portion of the meniscus taken out in April. At 55 I was concerned my hiking might be over, but I had a good surgeon, good therapist and I responded well. My wife and did an 11 mile round trip up Mount LeConte in SMNP 10 weeks after surgery just to prove to myself I could do it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems I've seen that Bonsai before wink

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rosco1

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I drive passed that barn every day.

Cool! I've only passed it twice. Great landscape, it caught my eye both times. I suppose because it's the only thing out there!

Beautiful house Brad, I've heard of it but not seen it. You did a good job!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread only serves to tell me that I need to head west....

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had calcification in my shoulder joint and juncture where the collarbone meets the shoulder.

Hope you get well soon. I'm a little worried about my shoulders/collar bones. I've badly broken and dislocated both of my collar bones (racing motocross), the right one just a couple years ago and my shoulders are definitely not the same now. Over time I could have issues. You should be ready to go for Fall hunting in the Rockies!

Great thread by the way! I'll try to add to it once I get back to that side of the globe.

Last edited by prm; 02/27/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Down on the Rez, complete with satellite dish...

[Linked Image]

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prm
I had calcification in my shoulder joint and juncture where the collarbone meets the shoulder.

Hope you get well soon. I'm a little worried about my shoulders/collar bones. I've badly broken and dislocated both of my collar bones (racing motocross), the right one just a couple years ago and my shoulders are definitely not the same now. Over time I could have issues. You should be ready to go for Fall hunting in the Rockies!

Great thread by the way! I'll try to add to it once I get back to that side of the globe.

Thanks. I'm doing amazingly well. My mobility is improving by the hour almost. Started PT yesterday & he got me pretty sore but prognosis is fully recovered mobility. Just need to push without pushing too far and getting inflammation.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I was in the basic training in '70, the term PT wasn't physical therapy. It was physical training. We learned to hate the term. As we crashed at the end of an arduous workout, we were "encouraged" to all yell 'more PT drill sergeant'!! If we didn't yell enthusiastically enough, we got the more PT we'd asked for but didn't want. It was a no-win deal.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

PD hunting camp...

[Linked Image]

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here's a couple totally unrelated to anything on here, a bit out of this world you could say. The first one is about 2.5 million light years away. The second is about 1300 light years away. I shot both of these in 2007. Haven't done much astrophotography in a while. I need to drag the stuff out and do some more.

Andromeda:

[Linked Image]

The Great Orion Nebula:

[Linked Image]

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Back down to Earth

A camp last spring in Pisgah NF

[Linked Image]

A cold late winter hike to a place near my home. The "Blue Ridge Escarpment" drops off here providing view across the foothills and Piedmont. You can see around 70 mile here I'd guess. It was spitting some snow that day and the wind was cold. I found some fatwood and collected it to put in my fire kit.

[Linked Image]

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Goat camp in Nv.

-Doug

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DesertBighorn; 02/27/14.

BASR
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DesertBighorn
Goat camp in Nv.

-Doug

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks kinda familiar!

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
Originally Posted by DesertBighorn
Goat camp in Nv.

-Doug

Looks kinda familiar!

I bet it does!!!

BASR
[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Beautiful pictures everybody!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
God did a great job in putting this world together, didn't he?

― George Orwell

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
God did a great job in putting this world together, didn't he?

Ha! Indeed He did!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yours truly grin

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Not really the theme here.But I sold my last dirt bike this winter, figured 20+ years without getting killed was a good run. (but several weeks in the hospital)

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Johnathan Brownings rifling machine (Johns father)

[Linked Image]

I think this little guy has identity issues..

[Linked Image]

Before
[Linked Image]

After
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Flying the beartooth:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by toad

[Linked Image]

I know that lake well...

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GuNR standing on Brad camp site.

[Linked Image]

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by mtmiller
GuNR standing on Brad camp site.

[Linked Image]

HA! That's great!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Something you don't see every day:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A little of my "art imitates nature" summit work...

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A visitor...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fishin'

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Curious locals

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice Craig!

Here's one I woke out of a dead sleep:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bighorn dying from wolf attack:

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
An old cabin I lived in one winter...

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The area...

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Couple visitors in my yard...

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
As long as yard animals are allowed...
Yard Moose
[Linked Image]

Half way through a game of Twister (I won).
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hey you guys!
[Linked Image]

Little better picture with the local training hill in the background...
[Linked Image]

Different kind of animal
[Linked Image]

Spring bear a few years back
[img]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/cwh2/PWS/IMG_8392.jpg[/img]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice pics all. Great thread!!!!

laissez les bons temps rouler
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Stoned sheep.
[Linked Image]

Li'l bitty sheep
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Think there are two rams in this picture.
[Linked Image]

Where the other ram stopped rolling.
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Couple years back...

Brooks Range Caribou
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Was starting to wonder if we'd make the top just above here, this was on the way out and neither of us could see anything in the fog/snow. I'd sweep both poles at every step, then walk toward the less steep one. Clear and sunny on the other side.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chris, you suck! I am incredibly jealous.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fantastic photos guys!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Tanner
Chris, you suck! I am incredibly jealous.

Just lucky I guess smile

That's all that was in photobucket. Loading a couple more now.

This cow had twins, which put on quite a display a couple times. She lost one, but thats the way it goes...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Twister moose, full on molting.
[Linked Image]

I know its the backpack hunting forum, but does sea life count?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A sleeping whale

[Linked Image]

A couple idiots getting too close to a sleeping whale and waking it up.

[img]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/cwh2/IMG_0093.jpg[/img]

A couple years ago we ran into a pod of killer whales. Never did get the boat maneuvered correctly for the light.

[img]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/cwh2/IMG_1010.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/cwh2/IMG_1011.jpg[/img]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
No Wake Zone
[Linked Image]

Not my house... but I wish it was, that's a sweet lawn that you never have to mow.

[Linked Image]

Ice cube.
[Linked Image]

Evidence of global warming. The ice cube tray is melting.
[Linked Image]

Big 'ol mountain behind a mechanical snowshoe.
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think we determined this was a harbor porpoise rather than a Dall's. We see a lot more Dall's, but this guy was by himself and was having fun chasing the boat.

Just letting out a breath.
[Linked Image]

Kind of a neat shot where he popped right through the reflected mountains.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

An auto-dispensing ice cube tray. Temp and tide can make this a tricky place to get to, as it ices out all at once in the spring and then continues to kick ice out for a big part of the summer. Heard a guy on the radio lamenting that they'd set up camp in this bay, and the next day you couldn't get in there without bumping tons of ice. That camp might still be there.
[Linked Image]

A scraggly looking goat about a half mile out from the glacier.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/cwh2/OX5O7420.jpg[/img]

Ok, photobucket sucks, my internet connection is really slow, and it is sunny outside, so no more for now. If you guys are tired of marine animals, let me know and I'll stop posting them.

Snubbie, hope your PT goes well, listen to those folks and don't be a hero.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We made the top ten!

http://www.placestoseeinyourlifetime.com/top-10-ice-caves-in-the-world-5023/

Hiked out to our local ice cave today. A couple pics are from this summer.

Entrance

[Linked Image]

Looking back out

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Moulin at the end.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/mycalypsogreen/Icecave2013-14083_zps72f84cc4.jpg[/img]

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Back down to Earth

[Linked Image]

A cold late winter hike to a place near my home. The "Blue Ridge Escarpment" drops off here providing view across the foothills and Piedmont. You can see around 70 mile here I'd guess. It was spitting some snow that day and the wind was cold. I found some fatwood and collected it to put in my fire kit.

[Linked Image]

Can you tell me what axe/hatchet you are carrying on your belt and the usefulness of it please.
Im thinking a GB?

Last edited by UKdave; 03/02/14.

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As monte python would say " and now for something completely different"

I do the population studies on our hunting concessions for the White Rhinos. Using trail Cameras and by darting them. We dart the females frequently to check health and for pregnancy. The Darting is by my hunters that choose to do a "green hunt" and shoot them with a dart rifle. We do this from the ground by spot and stalk or from a chopper cruising the tree tops.

[Linked Image]
Game Camera Photo
[Linked Image]
From the cab of my land cruiser
[Linked Image]
Inside the archery ground blind, yeah it's freaking close! [Linked Image]
Trail camera
[Linked Image]
[SIZE=4]This is me, we are reviving a big old cow after darting her .[/SIZE]

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool stuff Jim!

Man I love the looks of that country...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Some more NV, this time from an antelope hunt.

-Doug

We saw sheep, deer and antelope in this canyon, just didn't bother getting any pics of the antelope.

I was putting a camera stalk on the sheep when I jumped this guy from his bed.
[Linked Image]

The sheep looked down the canyon for a bit wondering, "what's wrong with that guy?" as the deer bounded away. They finally saw me and posed for awhile.
[Linked Image]

We were treated to some great sunrises.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This little gopher snake thought he was bad.
[Linked Image]

This fox let me have some photo fun.
[Linked Image]

We saw an awesome Black Rock Desert dust storm. It is hard to comprehend from these pictures, but the front of the dust wall here is about 3000' high.
[img]http://desertbighorn.smugmug.com/Ou...nt_DayFour_BlackRockDustStorm_-1-4-L.jpg[/img]

Oh yeah, success was had. Heading back down to the Razr in the far valley below. We did an all day hike, climbing a couple thousand feet up to the antelope. :-)
[img]http://desertbighorn.smugmug.com/Ou.../i-VLkcVmw/0/L/Mikes_antelope_-1-8-L.jpg[/img]

Last edited by DesertBighorn; 03/02/14.

BASR
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Seems I've seen that Bonsai before wink

Maybe... wink

Nice house, Brad!

Great pictures everyone! Threads like these are really great.

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UKdave
Back down to Earth

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Can you tell me what axe/hatchet you are carrying on your belt and the usefulness of it please.
Im thinking a GB?

Yes, it's the GB Wildlife Hatchet. I was out that day looking for fatwood. That area burned a few years ago and there's some old pine stumps. I had success BTW. The hatchet was handy digging into those stumps.

[Linked Image]

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

163 members (338reddog, 2UP, 35, 44mc, 007FJ, 18 invisible), 1,501 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,582
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.