Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I realize there are variables, but in general what would a person likely spend for the typical first class dove hunt. Say three or four days? Including shells, gun rental, tips, fees, transportation, all inclusive costs.
Thanks,
Jim

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a cruise scheduled for next year leaving out of Rio and ending in Argentina and I'm planning on staying in Argentina for a few days and planning on Dove Hunting for a couple of days while I'm there . I have looked at a couple of places and they aren't really cheap and the shell cost will add up quick at 13 to 14 bucks per box , plus Shotgun Rental will be about a 100 bucks or more per day. . You may be better off using a Travel Agent to set up the hunt for you as a package deal , plus the Air Fair won't be cheap either. Since I will be there any way the Air Line Ticket Home, which i will have already purchased is a mode point in my case.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You can do the hunt for around $3000, though that depends on how much you shoot--and that depends on how much you want to, plus the time of year. I would plan on at least 500 rounds a day, which means around 250 bucks in shells per day.

That price includes very fine accommodations and meals, plus all drinks including beer, wine and mixed. Usually dove hunters fly into Cordoba, and transportation to the lodge may or may not be included.

Round-trip airfare from the U.S. depends on where you're flying out of, but will probably be in the $1500-$2000 range. One of the nicer things about South American hunting is there's no jet-lag, since the time zones don't change much when flying north and south.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There are some outfitters over on accuratereloading.com that offer these trips at reduced rates to members.

Look for Juan Pozzi, I think that's right, shouldn't be hard to search, lot's less traffic there than here.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The hunts are more expensive than most first timers think, partially because the shells aren't cheap and you will go through a LOT of them. The price normally does include meals and lodging though, like JB said.

If possible, try to get some perdiz or other upland hunts in to save money on shells. I killed some perdiz and two species of sharptail grouse like birds while down there.

I did kill a few doves while down there, but purposely avoided the good dove fields because I am powerless when it comes to staying off the trigger. Thousands of shots a day is no exaggeration and the cheaper shells were $12/25 rounds. Do the math.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thank you, all. I will contact an "outdoors / hunting" travel agent to find out the skinny! I have been told $8000 should take care of things, though that sounds high to me. That is why I asked.
I really appreciate your help!
Jim

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
+1 on what Dog Hunter said.

To be honest, I get bored shooting doves all day long, EVERY day. My first trip down there also involved ducks over decoys and perdiz over German shorthairs, and was more fun than just shooting doves. The lodge was brand-new then but is still operating: www.losombues.com. A wonderful variety of wingshooting!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Will call about details today. Thanks for the replys. I would love to get bored shooting doves!!!
Jim

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I never thought I would!

Never thought I'd get tried of catching big fish, either, until I went to Alaska the first time. Of course, if you get tired of catching big fish up there, you can switch to smaller fish!

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A couple of years ago, I did a combo Asian Water Buffalo and dove hunt. The dove shooting was crazy good, but after two days of whacking doves, I had my fill of it for awhile.
Since I was already taking a rifle for the buffalo, I took along my own shotgun- probably a good move, as the rental guns were pretty worn out.

I'd like to go back, but the next time I will include some waterfowl hunting, pig hunting, etc. along with doves.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm like Mule Deer, I don't think I could just blast away at doves for days on end. I called an outfitter down there a few years ago. He said be ready to shoot 1,000 rounds... before lunch.. on the first day. 40 boxes.... wow. I think I might be flinching after the first few hundred rounds.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
talked to a guy that just got back.3 days 4500 rds.shoulder was red

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can always simply shoot only the amount you'd like, but if you are any kind of "Shotgun Loony", it'll be very hard to control yourself in such a target-rich environment.

I've been there twice and have really enjoyed it. The first hunt involved Doves, Pigeons, Ducks as well as all the Parakeets you can smoke. The second was primarily Doves. Lots of Frickin' Doves.

If you can shoot and are used to shooting a lot, you'll easily kill 1000 birds in the morning and 1000 birds in the afternoon. In one day I killed close to 3000 total and that's really not balls to the wall Dawn to Dusk hammering.

Food is outstanding, at least with the outfit we used; Trek Safaris, H&H Outfitters

I recommend Guayascate Lodge . It's the only 6 Star Lodge in Argentina. Food and accommodations are awesome.

A couple of friends and I in Argentina giving the prototype Maxus a complete workout:

grin

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Just went to Uruguay. You will spend about 5-6 K all said and done. Getting there and lodging is the cheap part. They make their $ on the shells, period. You could limit yourself and shoot a case in the am and one in the pm and only spend about $260 per day but believe me you won't be shooting much, you will be done in a couple hours! 4 cases a day 2 in am and 2 in pm is doable and plenty of shooting so times $520 by however many days you want to shoot.

Last edited by pdkillr; 04/14/14.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Never been to Argentina, but in good spots in Peru we can shoot 100+ in a morning, and you can run a flat easily if it's a really good place. And this is not a "target rich" environment as it is in Argentina. Many of my friends from Peru have gone to Argentina and Bolivia (politics are tricky now and Argentina has a better industry setup in general) and were still impressed. Pf course it was among friends and almost a "friendly but competitive trip". As has been said money is made in shells.
Find out how much ammo if any you can bring on your own, as that may be something worth doing. Stick to O/U so at least you have to reload smile
When I have had a lot of shooting opportunities I try to practice specific shot presentations (crossers, incomers, doubles, etc) and only take those shots for say 5-10 birds.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
587 members (219 Wasp, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.