Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hey Gee, what's the scope on that Kimber? I know it's a Leupold, but that's all I can tell. Sort of looks like my 2.5-8x36.

Mike

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
BP-B6

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Mike,

a pair of 260's.

[Linked Image]
Kimber montana in 260 Rem.
Sako 75 varmint, w/ set trigger in 260 Rem

I figured at the time, what on wouldn't do, the other would.

And yes that scope was a 2.5 x 8 Leupold.

A light rifle, most likely used @ 200 yds and under for hogs, deer and turkey, so 8x should be sufficient.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Yea, I might wind up with the 223 Montana, but I have a Colt 6720 that weighs 6 lbs 0.36 ounces without the scope and mount. Yea, the Kimber would be nearly a pound lighter but the Colt fits the wife and kids well with stock all in, and the weight is distributed well for weak arms to hold. It also has a very nice Geissele trigger and 7 twist to play with.

243 sounds nice with lighter bullets in the 80's. A little more umph than the 223 if I'm not mistaken, but then if the Montana 223 shoots the heavies well, there isn't really that much difference in bullet weight, thus my conundrum.

I also own a very nice 243 Sako L579 Deluxe, which made me think about the Kimber in 7mm-08 or even possibly 308, but I don't want to wind up with so much recoil that no one will shoot it except me and I won't even find it pleasant.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
G,

Why did you get rid of all the Kimbers?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Clark,

You seem like you're in a panic. Kimber to Tikkler, back to Kimber. Slow down dude grin !

Your Colt is 7-twist but you still got mag limits. And they don't carry as well as a Montucky, at least to me.

Low recoil, high volume shooting, extreme familiarity with rifle (and load) all lead to stacking of bullets from various shooting positions. If not, then repeat until the kinks are ironed out. But low recoil makes this easier.

If the wife and kids don't get the hang of shooting a lightweight-08 (243, 260, 7-08, 308), you'll have bruised shoulders, flinching brains, and a family that don't want to shoot. Then what? Let the shoulders heal, fix the flinch (have fun with that!), and get a 223 grin .

You're only shooting deer. And deer at 200 yards and less. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in power or "umph", or the 75gr AMAX which is a good bullet for longer ranges. Shoot another bullet in the Kimber, for now.

I'd worry more about getting the wife and kids to shoot bucket loads of ammo so they have extreme confidence in the rifle, load, and their abilities. Make the family full of dead-eye centerfire shooters and they'll put the bullets on the deer. Unless you guys are all naturals at shooting a centerfire, practice will be your friend and recoil affects everyone whether they admit it or not.

There, I think I just convinced myself to get a 223 for our boys wink grin.

Jason

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Gee: Nice. I put that same Leupold on my M70 7x57. It's perfect balance for that gun, not too big, not too small.

I don't want to hijack the thread, so back to the OP's question: .243 or 7-08?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks Jason. I'm not really as panicky as I sound. I'm just nearly obsessive compulsive about details and options. I'm bad to research a decision to death. Still going to be a little while before I buy, but I "MUST" explore all my options.LOL

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Boxer,

Could you give a quick tutorial on mag mod for a 223 Tucky?

J

The photo essay was done did a few years back here abouts. You'll have to do your own Google-fu to find the appropriate thread. Happy hunting....

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RevMike
Gee: Nice. I put that same Leupold on my M70 7x57. It's perfect balance for that gun, not too big, not too small.

Except now it's evolved to 243 VS 223.LOL

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by RevMike

Except now it's evolved to 243 VS 223.LOL

And don't forget the .260!!

Although I did throw in the 7x57 just to see if we could raise Ingwe to the bait. grin

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
What's the old song, That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

I realize this is purely subjective, but my experience with Kimbers is kinda like a roll of the dice. Don't always know what your gonna get. With Sakos and Coopers, I've not had that problem.

When Kimber first came out with the short mags, 300 WSM was first.

I picked out an absolutely exquisite Classic in 300 WSM. Did my standard barrel break in. It was finicky from the start.IIRC the only bullet I could get to group consistently was the 180 gr. Nosler Partiton, which was no problem as I like Nosler. Even with the partitions, it was an 1.5" at 100 yd. rifle. I took it with me on a hunt at the lease I was on at the time. Spent the weekend there by myself. Would go up on Thursday and stay through Tuesday. Monday morning that trip I was sitting in a ground blind. It was approaching 11 AM as I recall. I was getting antsy as I'd been there since about an hour before daybreak. I'm getting ready to pack up when I see motion in the foreground. I immediately bring up the binocs and lay eyes on the best deer I've ever seen in my life strolling straight toward me. He's probably 200 yds, moving through the trees my way. I get ready and watch him to about 120 yds. I whistle and he stops. I fire. He stands there. I eject the empty and fire again. He's still standing but getting antsy. So I fire again. This time he turns and trots off. Mind you I hear no whop of the bullet, don't see him flinch. Nothing. So I look for blood for about two hours and don't see a drop. Bummer.

Later that afternoon I'm heading to a spot at the back of the ranch about two miles away. I'm on my four wheeler and go down in to a draw and back up. After I top the draw I come face to face with a fine mature 8 point buck. He don't spook, he just keeps walking toward an opening in the brush 30 yds. or so away. I have the rifle slung on my back. I never carry a rifle with a round in the chamber. I unsling the rifle, go to chamber a round and it pops out and falls o the dirt. I try a second time and this time the two remaining cartridges pop up and out. Meantime the buck slips into the Juniper. Two fine shooters missed in one day. If I hadn't paid $1300 for the rifle and about $500 for the scope I'd have wrapped it around the nearest tree I was so pissed. When I got back to town I traded in on a Remington 700 C grade in 270 Win. Not only had I missed 3 shots off a rest at 120 yds, but it had misfed or I had short stroked. Whatever, I figured the rifle had bad JuJu.

Classic #2. About two months after I bought Classic number 1 I purchased a Kimber in 270 WSM. It had pretter wood than the first. I figured what the hey, the problem with the first shouldn't keep me from enjoying this Kimber. Well once again I was sitting in a 4'x 4' enclosed blind at the junction of two power line right of ways. I had a shot on a buck about 120 yds. I drew a bead and squeezed. Click, but no boom. I thought what the heck. I know I put a shell in the chamber. I pull the rifle inside the blind, set the stock on the floor, hold it out almost at arms lenght to cycle the bolt. When I got to lift the bolt handle, the rifle fires, putting a hole in the roof and almost knocking me out with the blast, concussion and decibels. Freaked me smooth out. The deer ran off and I went back to camp once I cleaned out my shorts and regained my composure. When I got back I tried firing it off the bench and the same thing happened. So I took it back to where I'd bought it and asked them to send it back to the manufacturer. I sure didn't want some unsuspecting person to own that rifle.

The other classics and Montanas I liked, and had no mechanical problems with. I don't remember any of them being sub inch at 100 shooters though.

I had the Montanas in 260 Rem, 308 Win. and 325 WSM.

The 260 I bought new and loved it. However I had a fellow that I knew that had one and wanted to have its match for his son. He made me an offer I could not refuse.
The others were pretty much the same. I bought them at a price where I could develop loads, shoot and take game with them and turn for a profit. I figure its hard to lose by making a profit.

The 325 WSM Montana was a fine shooter also, but when Nosler came out with their Model 48 in the Custom Sporter I grabbed that and have not looked back. I've an illuminated Leupold on it and it has become my favorite dark-thirty hog thumper.

I sold the Montana.

I had owned numerous Sakos before I purchased my first Kimber. About this same time I became serious about collecting Coopers. Coopers were mainly single shot models 21, 22 and 38 at the time.However, for the type of hunting I do, a repeater is not necessary. I could buy the Coopers at about 60% of MSRP, enjoy them and get out with a profit if I so desired. I could not do that with Kimbers, and for my money the Coopers had better fit, finish, triggers, were a ton more accurate, and were consistently good to go. I'd say out of 40 rifles between Cooper and Sako I've had one bad Sako, and it was a manufacturing defect peculiar to that run of chambers.

Best,

GWB

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks Jason. I'm not really as panicky as I sound. I'm just nearly obsessive compulsive about details and options. I'm bad to research a decision to death. Still going to be a little while before I buy, but I "MUST" explore all my options.LOL

Buy pre-enjoyed at a value, then if you find you've made a mistake, blow it out and go on to the next one. You'll lose very little money if any at all.
I kinda assuage my guilt should I lose money on a deal by asking myself, how much do I spend taking the wife and kids and thier wives and kids to dinner.
Usually perks me up to think how much more thrifty it is to lose money on a rifle (which don' happen often).

Best,

GWB

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Take recoil and versatility for different game out of the equation. Is either designed so that it can more easily be loaded for accuracy?

You can look at the recent thread asking what has been your experience with the 243 to see that it pretty consistently shoots well. and if I was going to shoot varmints as well as deer that is probably the way I'd go.

However my buddy's 7mm-08 shoots pretty well with little fuss too so to answer the question as you posed it above I would say No. You will probably see as much variation or finicky tendencies from rifle to rifle as you will between the two cartridges you mention unless you are talking a bench rail gun then you might see a minute difference and as to which of the two would win I have no idea, but in a sporter weight rifle No.

I was just reviewing this thread and missed it the first pass that you already have a 243 and 223. In that case IMHO it would be 7mm08 all the way.

Last edited by bangeye; 02/23/14.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
G,

Schit stacked high,is still a stack of schit.

You crack me the [bleep] up with your Stupidity and utter cluelessness...which in fairness,is very impressive. Congratulations?!?

Laffin'!

'gant,

I like my 75's at 3150 and 62's at 3400fps,when talking a 21" .378" boltface.

Still hearing good thangs,about a Montucky launched 75A-Max kiss.

4th,

Slide magbox shim rearward to allow kisstitude COAL and it's land chasin'. Affix same into position,shorten bolt stop and rock on.

For Artistic Flair...flare the fore section of the ejection port,for Style Points.

Farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr from being "daunting".

Hint.

'Clark,

Again,the 6720 is an EPIC Goat [bleep] compared to a Montucky. The 1-7" is moot,due mag constraints...unless you've an affinity for single-shot Gas Guns. I do not. The Geissle is a Goat [bleep],compared to a Montucky trigger...not even in the same Universe. Cheer up,I've prolly got lotsa Gas Guns,so am afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess.

The Montucky 223 is soooooooooo your Huckleberry.

Re-Hint.

Hint.

You ain't payin' much attention.

Hint-hint.

Hint.

You've been led to water...and I'm hopin' you don't drink.(grin)

'eye,

The more dots connected,the better things get.

It's ALL about twist rate,throat geometry and COAL latitude...simply because boolits matter more than headstamps. Connect them dots and conjoin fun and you've a Montucky 223.

Hint.

Spent primers are THE Supreme Tutorial and everyone fabricates reasons not to shoot,which admittedly cracks me the [bleep] up.

Funny how it actually works.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Boxer

G,

You crack me the [bleep] up with your Stupidity and utter cluelessness...which in fairness,is very impressive. Congratulations?!?

Laffin'

[Linked Image]

tahr-nation there B,

don't sugar coat it.

Tell me what ya' really think.

and in keeping with the topic, taken with the fact of how much you like wood stocked rifles (even with no WAMs)

[Linked Image]

a nice lil' b-b-que sized porker and a 243 Winchester sptitting 90 gr. Accubonds.

Squeeze it EZ there bra'

GWB

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
G,

I wasn't musing supposition,just stating simple fact(s).

One can never tell if a Texan is bitching or bragging,because their best is soooooo [bleep] shy of the mark.

I very much enjoy the Haybale & Crockett affairs from The Golf Cart Gang and it only gets better when you stupid [bleep] really pull out the stops and start talking about rifles,boolits,glass and other "particulars". You "hard chargers" are a [bleep] riot,with your daring "exploits" of The Barbed Wire Chronicles!

You couldn't knock the new offa used pair of boots.

I'm crying I'm laughing so hard! Bless your heart,for being oblivious to the inherent hilarity.

Just oh sooooooooooooo [bleep] WOW!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Boxer
G,

You couldn't knock the new offa used pair of boots.

Just depends on one's perceptions.

[Linked Image]

The tops on these are at least 75 years old.

[Linked Image]

while these are almost new.

and these.........

[Linked Image]

Quien Sabe?

Best,

GWB

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I like that Randall�.the Crocs�not so much�. grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Men secure in their manhood wear Crocs and shoot 270's. laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I shoot .270's and I don't even own crocs and never will!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
142 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.