Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Cabela's Instinct Euro HD 15x56 Binoculars

Has anyone checked these out? I am looking at Swarovski 15x56 but these look pretty good.

Ted
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There may be something scientifically measurable to describe a difference between them. But nothing I can find with my eyes.

For the last couple months I've had all the high end glasses here at my fingertips. Meopta just surprises me time and again with the quality of glass and construction.

You really have to hold them to your eyes to see how they fit you. As great as the Meopta glasses are, I found the eye relief too short for me. By unscrewing the eyecups only 1/16" they were perfect. But that's not a functional way to use them with lose eyecups.

No other brand had an eye relief condition like this. I tried another couple sets of meopta glasses and they were the same. I spoke with meopta about this. They suggested I use the folding eye shields which should solve the problem. They sent them to me free of charge. Although they solved the problem to some extent, it was a bit if a hokey solution. Their folding winged eyecups are not a tight usable or functional system. They just are not made for all day hunting and hiking. Maybe for sports events or birding?

In any case, if the eye relief is good for you, then the value is unmatched.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've found this eye relief deal can be a problem with lots of different glass. Hack is correct about simply unscrewein the eyepiece some until it gets the ER where you like it. When I have to do this, I make it "semi permanent" if you will. Give it a permanent feel by adding a simple gasket of some sort that fits between the bottom of the eyecups and the bino's eye piece, then screw it back in tight. You'll never know it wasnt' made like that and works like a champ.

Back to the original subject...Meopta makes world class stuff at a fraction of the price of the big boys.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Although the Swaros and other make some super glass in that high end market place, Celestron has stepped up with a new piece in the 56mm objective market. available in 8,10,& 12 power this new glass will retail below $300. A great new addition to the 8x56 and 9x63 Skymaster models. G

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Johnny mentioned the gasket solution. That's 100% right I used a 15/16" O ring which nailed it!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have the Minox 15 x 56s. They are optically excellent but heavier than the Swaros.

If you want 'as good as Swaro', you're going to have to get Swaro. Other glass is a compromise somewhere. If you want 'as good as possible for less money', there is no shortage of contenders.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Correction -- according to Cameraland's website, they are not heavier than the Swaros. When you pack them, and a tripod, rangefinder, rifle and GunClaw all day, they just seem that way. This is as close as I have gotten to Swaro performance. Doug's 'open box' price on this glass is amazing. FWIW, I rented some 15X Vortex [Vipers I think] some years ago for an elk hunt. They got the job done but are not nearly as good as the Minox.

Having hunted the Minox for a couple years, I don't even look at other 15X glass any more. Never used the Meopta though. Would love to look through the Meoptas (or the Cabelas) though, and will happily take anyone on a scouting trip here in AZ as a test platform. I could be surprised.

Not saying the Minox are the best sub-Swaros in the world, just that it has become a waste of time to keep looking. I'd rather hunt.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
I have the Minox 15 x 56s. They are optically excellent but heavier than the Swaros.

If you want 'as good as Swaro', you're going to have to get Swaro. Other glass is a compromise somewhere. If you want 'as good as possible for less money', there is no shortage of contenders.

Negative

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Some are saying the Meopta HD/ Cabelas Euro HD are equal or so close its hard to tell. I know I'm loving my Euro HD' s.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by daddie63
Some are saying the Meopta HD/ Cabelas Euro HD are equal or so close its hard to tell. I know I'm loving my Euro HD' s.

I thought I heard some place that the Cabelas product is made by Meopta. G

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Yes they are. When I sent in my Euro's to fix a loose eye cup I dealt with Meopta. They had great service as well and with a lifetime transferable warranty you can't really go wrong imo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If these are anything like the 10x42 HD Euros they will be excellent glass!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 731 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,544
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.