Hop To
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Howdoo ,

I live in Florida and I'm going to do some hog snaring on the hunting lease I'm in and also some of the river swamps.
I bought a bunch of the MB wolf/cougar/hog snares ?? is should I use swivels ??
And does anybody have any tips on catching some hogs ?

I've never used snares but it looks somewhat simple compared to leg-hold trapping.
I have trapped and caught coons/fox/muskrat .
Thanks for any tips and ideas. Mike

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
BP-B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
check with rick menefee he is a working gov. trapper & i know he has snared quite a few hogs. cranky72

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks guys !

I rooted around all over the -net- today seen a bunch of stuff.
I'll keep an eye on this thread -Mike.

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep us up to date Mike,,and a few pic's if you can!

Jim

I tend to use more than enough gun
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Snares work well for hogs. As you probably know, their trails are very obvious, where they travel from on area to another.The easiest place to catch them is where they o through a fence. The only reason we don't use them more is because deer love to get in them, and unlike coyote snares that have a "deer proof" S hook designed to release with a deer's weight, hog snares kill every deer that gets in them.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I've been trying to get a deer at the lease rutting has yet to start here believe it or not.
Hunted three days -camped two nights didn't see anything.
Placed a couple of snares on trails but the hogs are pretty leery of human scent.Anytime I go out to the lease and fill my roll-barrel and can feeders the hogs disappear for two day minimum.
Usually guys go out and lay out sour corn etc. then hunt that night and the hogs figure out that pattern and steer clear for a bit.The ones that don't don't live long.
I have two snares on well worn trails that are hung on soft wire on tree branches. I then tied green spider-wire fishing line to the bottom of the snare and up over a limb so I can lift the bottom of the snare up off of the trail.
I do this because I live 60+ miles from the lease and can't check the snare daily.
When I go out I won't have to get close to the snare site and leave scent that will run the hogs off ,I'll be 60-70 feet back away from the trail.
We have very few deer here mostly hogs ,coyotes ,bear ,coons ,eagles ,hawks and alligators. Only the smartest deer can survive here and the deer killed at the lease this year are quite diminished. A couple of measly bucks and two or three does killed on a 2000 acre lease.

ltppowell , we don't have any fence here , pretty much just a swamp jungle. I have had two pictures of deer in two years if there were lots of them I would have to close the loop on the snares .Agree if one of the small size deer we have here gets snared it's over for him -predators would have it within an hour too.
There's about a two weeks left in trapping season on public land so I won't bother even buying a license this year . Next year I'm not wasting my time hunting at the lease during ""hunting season"" . I'm going to take my Gheenoe hunting boat into the swamps and start creating rubs with black gold hog lure and play the numbers game with three dozen snares. That'll keep me out there enjoying the good life.
I'll take pcs if'n I snag one. Mike

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm certainly no expert trapper, in fact I'm not trapping this year because of my accident, but...

I use 10' snares without a swivel for hogs. I've found the hogs are going to kink the cable so much that a swivel doesnt do any good. Of course, I lose a snare every time I catch a hog.

I use a 10', 1/8 cable, with a non releasing lock. I like the 10' cable because I make a lot of jumping snares. Its extra work, but I like them.

When I get back to walking (hopefully in a few weeks), I'll start chasing the hogs. We can snare them year round and hunt them at night.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
200 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 16 invisible), 1,548 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.