Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
in 5.56. I buy platforms for a purpose, and features for aesthetics. I'm thinkin' on an AR now for plinking and just a general "fun gun" as I don't have a semi auto rifle.

Here is what I'm looking at: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/13229/Bushmaster+90325+Target+30%2B1+223REM5.56NATO+20%22+A3

I don't like the carbine look so any barrel under 20" is out. I want the rifle to look as close to the original M16A2 look as possible - It's just my aesthetic preference to have the rifle look less tacticool that your average gun range ninja.

So the above listed Bushmaster is what I found on this cold rainy morning. I want that style of sights and a fixed butt stock.

Is the Bushie the best deal? Can I build one cheaper? Other options with the same aesthetics?

I also have a desire for an AR10 platform but I want the pea shooter first laugh

friggin link won't work. whatever.

Last edited by bigfish9684; 02/23/14.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my recent research of parts and what goes into building an AR, you could probably buy the parts and tools and build one cheaper than the Bushie is going for. Palmettostatearmory.com is your friend.

YMMV.

Last edited by ironeagle_84; 02/23/14.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bigfish9684
in 5.56. I buy platforms for a purpose, and features for aesthetics. I'm thinkin' on an AR now for plinking and just a general "fun gun" as I don't have a semi auto rifle.

Here is what I'm looking at: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/13229/Bushmaster+90325+Target+30%2B1+223REM5.56NATO+20%22+A3

I don't like the carbine look so any barrel under 20" is out. I want the rifle to look as close to the original M16A2 look as possible - It's just my aesthetic preference to have the rifle look less tacticool that your average gun range ninja.

So the above listed Bushmaster is what I found on this cold rainy morning. I want that style of sights and a fixed butt stock.

Is the Bushie the best deal? Can I build one cheaper? Other options with the same aesthetics?

I also have a desire for an AR10 platform but I want the pea shooter first laugh

Here is your link smile

bigfish9684 AR

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

They aren't hard to figure out. Get one, start running it, and you'll get it.

I would suggest a flat top in whatever brand you buy.. You can run your iron sights until you realize you want to scope it. Which you then can, without issues.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks Rancho... new question:

How many of you started out wanting iron sights and switched to AND stuck with a scope? I love scopes but always wanted the A2 style rifle. Might have to buy two rifles...

Last edited by bigfish9684; 02/23/14.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
BF, you can get a flat top and a detachable A2 style carry handle. It gives you more flexibility and protects your resale value.

Mine wears a 1-4 Leopold. After using it, the only reasons I will put irons on one is as backup sites, and to teach the kids how to shoot with the classic A2 system.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a Armalite with 1.5-5-Leupold,I had Bushmaster and it was just a money pit to tune and make a decent shooting rifle. I go to the range to shoot, not work on guns.
Buy cheap, live with the results....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

How many of you started out wanting iron sights and switched to AND stuck with a scope? I love scopes but always wanted the A2 style rifle. Might have to buy two rifles...

The one in your link has a removable carry handle.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have had 3 Bushmasters over the years and never had to tune or work on any of them. They all shot great out of the box, I gave one to my son. That rifle has thousands of rounds thru it with just a little lube here and there, Never a failure of any kind.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you plan on shooting it a lot, I'd spend $200 more and get this one.... http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=A4-870-212

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rifle
I use a Armalite with 1.5-5-Leupold,I had Bushmaster and it was just a money pit to tune and make a decent shooting rifle. I go to the range to shoot, not work on guns.
Buy cheap, live with the results....

BS ... I have a Bushy A2 and its a damn fine shooter (1.5 moa)with open irons. I owned a CZ rf I wasn't pleased with, that doesn't make all CZ's worthless.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And just because you had one good Bushmaster doesn't make all Bushmasters good.

There's a LOT more to a "good AR" than the name on the side and a sample size of one.

Last edited by Bluedreaux; 02/23/14.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

There's a LOT more to a "good AR" than the name on the side and a sample size of one.

No problems with my BM, but it has a Vmatch upper.
Some guys with their standard uppers tell a different story.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My Bushmaster experience is limited to one 11.5in select fire version that I carried all over Iraq. It never coughed. They did have to put heavier buffers in them to slow 'em down though.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
FWIW I've had about all the brands that were out there in the mid 90s to mid 04 or so....

I have one bushy. Never bought another. In our competition they were not that common, though one kid got a really great one and it was a good gun.

I wasn't happy with a few things, much like my armalite experiences and so moved on... RRA happened to be good enough for everything we ended up doing.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

Mine wear scopes or red dots as primary, and most of my rifles/uppers have a set of back-up sights, but I don't consider those a requirement at all. I only shoot an A-2 when I'm having a nostalgic moment or a class requires it.

You can have a second seperate upper with the A-2s, and scope another one in the flatop. Think you'll find that the flattop gets outdoors more often over time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AH64guy

Mine wear scopes or red dots as primary, and most of my rifles/uppers have a set of back-up sights, but I don't consider those a requirement at all. I only shoot an A-2 when I'm having a nostalgic moment or a class requires it.

You can have a second seperate upper with the A-2s, and scope another one in the flatop. Think you'll find that the flattop gets outdoors more often over time.
I don't like the A2. I thought it looked great when it came out but for me anyway, it wasn't. I had an A1 and shot M-16A1's in ROTC. I much prefer the A1 configuration. The round forearm should have been better, but wasn't for me and the LOP on the A2 is an inch more, whereas the older ones fit me better. Even with the wore-out Vietnam era ones issued to the Reserves, I was able to shoot Expert. Maybe I could have done it with the A2, but I dunno.

Don't know why I'm telling you this, but a thread about A2's is interesting as all focus now seems to be on carbine length weapons.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Never said all were good. Where did you read that??? Please point it out, must have missed it.

Silly to dismiss a whole line of rifles b/c of one bad one. If they wholly sucked they'd most likely be outta bidness.

My favorable experience with DPMS musta been in my head to given all "bad" press they get here on the inter-web.

I'll never dismiss a rifle from a sample of one .... Especially someone else's unless I personally know them.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Buy. Shoot the [bleep] out of it.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
My Bushmaster experience is limited to one 11.5in select fire version that I carried all over Iraq. It never coughed. They did have to put heavier buffers in them to slow 'em down though.

Let's keep our opining of products within the boundaries of reality.

Thanks, TAK.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,898 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,357
Posts18,468,926
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.