Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Tired of ACS coverage here and in areas below, would hardly work in South Dakota and mid west rural. My ACS will not work at work. Pretty good coverage in rural AK.

What do you like?

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Got ACS here. Works where I've been.

my only gripe is the cost.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have AT&T, it works most everywhere except at my house in South Anchorage. They all are overpriced.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
have had AT&T and now ACS

pros and cons to each, no service at our cabin which is why I switched to ACS, can get texts at cabin during good weather at times now.

but spotty around my house! lol, you can't just seem to win

hear that Verizon is coming to AK and from reports outside they seem to be one of the better carriers.

I know the locals ACS, AT&T and GCI aren't happy about them coming here, so perhaps that spells good for us consumers???

hope so.

am beginning to think cell phones must have been invented by women, can't live without them, but can barely live with them

plus it's like having a dang ankle bracelet or perhaps modern version of a ball and chain

surely no man would have done this to us?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
h
surely no man would have done this to us?

First, don't call me Shirley. Second, it was a bunch of furriners, Finnish to be exact, what done that to you.

If you guys DO get Verizon up there, you will be happy campers.
Data speeds, customer service, and real use of your phones when you come Outside.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got GCI and I ain't impressed. I can be standing next to my buddy who has AT&T and he will have coverage and I won't. He calls GCI, Government Communications Incorporated, they apparently get lots of money from the Gov foor their "rural" services. Personally, I think they suck azz.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Will test ACS outside next week in much warmer climate and make a decision when I get back!

kk alaska

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I've got GCI and I ain't impressed. I can be standing next to my buddy who has AT&T and he will have coverage and I won't. He calls GCI, Government Communications Incorporated, they apparently get lots of money from the Gov foor their "rural" services. Personally, I think they suck azz.

AT&T is GSM. Most of the infrastucture in AK is GSM. Verizon uses CDMA/LTE which is what most of the infrastructure here in the Lower 48 is. AT&T get the kind of performance down here, that you get with GCI up there.
Verizon believes in building infrastructure because they want the money.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

AT&T is GSM. Most of the infrastucture in AK is GSM. Verizon uses CDMA/LTE which is what most of the infrastructure here in the Lower 48 is. AT&T get the kind of performance down here, that you get with GCI up there.
Verizon believes in building infrastructure because they want the money.

Ed

I'll take your word for it Ed. lol

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a straight talk phone and it has worked anywhere that has cell coverage. Its a flat $45 a month for everything (text, talk, and data). I have been extremely happy with it. The only negative I have found is no 4G, their phones will only run 3G. It is also possible to switch your current phone over from your carrier to straight talk, so you can keep the same phone you already have.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have GCI and have had zero problems. It works on the slope, at home in Wasilla, everywhere I've been in Alaska except the haul road and the Denali Highway, at my Dad's in northern New York and in eastern Washington.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kurt, I got rid of ACS 2 OR 3 YEARS AGO AND got GCI. It's about as good as cell coverage gets. It works in most villages and with nation wide coverage we had very few spots in the lower 48 where we didn't have coverage on our 14,000 mile motor home trip in 2011. We had to ask for it but even had good coverage in most of Canada. Like most cell phones some days we drop calls etc. Bright sunny days but overall I've been very pleased. --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had all three, and we currently have AT&T. If you have kids heading out of state for school, I'd say that AT&T is a plus because the family with unlimited calling within the plan is worth considering. AT&T coverage in the lower 48 seems pretty solid whenever we've travelled down South.

As far as coverage, all three of them will have spots in the state they are week or don't cover.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
I have AT&T, it works most everywhere except at my house in South Anchorage. They all are overpriced.

I am down in Oceanview and AT&T is horrible here, too.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We had ATT while living in AK and as soon as we moved back to MI, we ditched it for Verizon. Much better service..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have one option, GCI. I can't really say if it sucks or not as it's literally the only game in town. Seems to work pretty good in ANC and the L48 when we're there......

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Well I will tell you what not to do, if you switch cell phone providers. Get a new Cell Phone from the new Provider, I lost count of the visits and time spent trying to get a ACS Phone to work with GCI! Phone has to stay on GSM mode, being a ACS device is not compatible with the GCI LTE network.

We switched 4 phones to GCI from ACS all worked great except mine which was a ACS phone. Samsung Note 2 Phone Lesson learned.

kk alaska

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an international plan with MTA and it works anywhere and everywhere. That company's service provisions are truly amazing. Their mobile services are available for any and all Alaska residents, regardless of their home address and/or their other utility service providers. In other words, you don't need to live within the Anchorage Borough or the Matanuska-Susitna Borough to have MTA mobile service.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AT&T for me it worked great for me up their now I'm down here in colorado it works just fine for me.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The worst so far has been AT&T = 2 beer cans on a string!!! ....customer service is "somewhere outside ...in America???? .... gci gets u a guy in state ....I live in-between 2 att towers have 5 bars and can not call out (att tundra flip phone wit ext antenna)wifes old razor phone can call out if u are outside "in the rite spot">> real fun in the winter time with a wind...I will try Verizon when they come this spring ...acs would not work at articman this past week ...buddies had to use my att ...go figure ( and yes I've tried different phones/combos...and talked to "att/so-called customer service- f-them!)

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

376 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,655
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.