Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I've had all three, and we currently have AT&T. If you have kids heading out of state for school, I'd say that AT&T is a plus because the family with unlimited calling within the plan is worth considering. AT&T coverage in the lower 48 seems pretty solid whenever we've travelled down South

My oldest son goes to college in Forest City, Iowa. NO AT&T coverage there! It's not a problem for voice, but becomes an issue with data. AT&T periodically threatens to cut him off when they notice that most of his data is out-of-network, so he tries to stay on wifi around campus as much as possible. We've looked at Verizon for him, but until they are up to speed in Alaska they don't work out for him either.

On the other hand my youngest son will attend school in Honolulu complete with AT&T 4g LTE coverage....so no problems to be foreseen there.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
We have one option, GCI. I can't really say if it sucks or not as it's literally the only game in town. Seems to work pretty good in ANC and the L48 when we're there......

We have GCI as well and it sucks. I couldn't get any coverage at Arctic Man but if I would have had AT&T, I would have had coverage. As soon as our contract is up (soon), we might be switching to AT&T or Verizon if they start covering Alaska.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Some advertise buying out your contract. It don't hurt to ask them to do that. Depends on how hungry they are for biz.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
With Verizon, I can turn on roaming and pick up any tower I can hit. As long as I don't hit a Mexican one it's free.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
ACS and GCI will but it is a monthly pay out on contract so if you have problems with the new company you still have to pay. ATT will not buy you out. After over 1 month of multiple visits and try this and that, GCI finally agreed to loan me a phone that would work. Brought a out of contract Note 2 Samsung smart phone from
ACS to GCI and it is not compatible with GCI. GCI needs lessons
on Customer Service!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
With Verizon, I can turn on roaming and pick up any tower I can hit. As long as I don't hit a Mexican one it's free.
Not so in the north country. In our village, and other local villages, you get zero service with any carrier other than GCI. Happens every year, some one visits form the outside and their carrier guarantees them service out here. They get here and find they have no cell or data service. GCI or bust for us.....

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I been with with Cingular and now AT+T since 2001, its ok and it works well enough for me, Right now my current phone has some issues with the latest software update. its an iPhone 4S wifi is inoperable. My current contract is up come Oct so I will most likely dump it all together. Over all the net works are better than they were in 2001 and you get a lot more for what I was paying back then. They say verizon is better, we shall see, I will be switching to them in Oct. I have not made up my mind about what phone yet, any suggestions would be appreciated .

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Sorry but I have always heard acs has the best ak coverage and that's my experience also. I came upon a traffic accident a month ago they couldn't report cause they had other providers I picked up,my acs phone and had an ambulance on the way. I switched to nationwide and use it when I am in ca also for no charge. Really haven't ever been able to beat acs......

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 22 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,649
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.