Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#8630473 02/28/14
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What have you used in the past, and what did you like or dislike about it?

What is your current system?

GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I use this and like it a lot more than the swarovski one I had before. It really keeps my 10x42's in place and they don't bounce around.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...ar-Accessories/prod99990135639/cat100084

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used the typical elastic crooked horn system for a decade. Best game in town. However there was a major problem that hurt me many times.

Each time you jumped down an embankment or off a log, out of the bed of a truck, etc. they would bounce back up and smack me in the face. I was hit really hard a few times.

They would also dangle to the ground and bounce when stalking on hands and knees. The solution came more recently with the Alaska guide creations compact case. There is no elastic, they completely enclose the glasses and just work exactly as needed.

Leave it to a professional hunter in Alaska to create the ultimate means of using field glasses. These guys make two kinds, one has lots of pockets and is more like a small lumber pack on your chest. The other, which I very much prefer is the compact case. It will fit all the way up to me 10x42 geovids.

I will have another one of these in short order, another interesting use is just keeping them in there as the binocular case. The shoulder straps unsnap completely.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've used a Crooked Horn for many years. I've never had the problems that JJHack's had, though. They work with any pack as long as you connect your pack's sternum strap UNDER the bino shoulder straps. I would never pay the extra $5 for the camo version BTW.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I attached the Crooked Horn harness to a small Fieldline pack to protect my bino from inclement weather.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well if you have not had them bounce back up and smack you in the face, you have never jumped with them on!

The elastic straps connected to 2 pound optics creates a slingshot effect that will get you!

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've always figured that jumping off of high stuff in the mountains is a good way to twist an ankle in a very inconvenient place so no, I haven't jumped with them.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
In the past I've used Crooked Horn and one other called the binosock.

I've recently invested in an FHF harness. Twice the money or more, but it is on a whole new level of quality. Money well spent!

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I use the Badlands Bino case (the $130 version) and love it!. I bought it when they were only $60 though. $130 is pretty steep. My dad just got the crooked horn magnetic closure case. It seems ok, but after using the Badlands, I would never change. It stays put, protects against snow and dust, and is comfortable. The only thing that could make it better is if I can connect it to my backpack somehow, so I don't have two separate shoulder straps over my shoulders.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I use the strap that came with my Leicas. Tried a couple different harness/bra systems and hated them all. A couple of buddies run that badlands system and love it though.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just found this one on eBay again. He does not have them on his website for some reason. These are made in America if that matters to anyone, In Utah

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Compact..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3685b19d

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Just found this one on eBay again. He does not have them on his website for some reason. These are made in America if that matters to anyone, In Utah

Are the shoulder straps padded? They look like they'd interfere with a pack.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not on mine .... just wide. They connect using common mystery ranch or kifaru type snap buckles. An easy conversion to have it connect direct to back back straps directly if you chose that route.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well if you have not had them bounce back up and smack you in the face, you have never jumped with them on!

The elastic straps connected to 2 pound optics creates a slingshot effect that will get you!

I've not cared for that aspect of them, either. They also start bouncing around a lot if you run.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I wouldn't mind that new harness system. It looks considerably better than the harness on my AGC pouch which is a few years old. I wonder if Jaret would send just the harness?

I carry my range finder, blast match, couple extra rounds, headlamp and binos in my pouch.

Last edited by AB2506; 03/01/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I Emailed Jaret. He called me back a couple of hours later. Heck of a nice guy. He doesn't have any of the new harnesses, but he is sending me a new AGC pouch in True Timber.

I look forward to trying the new improved pouch soon. If not coyote calling, I'll be taking it to Africa in May.

http://alaskaguidecreations.com/blog/store/

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've wasted a lot of money on various harnesses only to find them VERY lacking. Then I found the Ultra-Light Bino Harness from Rick Young Outdoors. Where were these all my life??! They are AWSOME.

I always found the various nylon strapped harnesses very lacking, especially when I changed layers - if I had them set up for a heavy layer and took it off, the harness was too floppy and vise-versa, and it takes a while to adjust them properly. When leaning over, or climbing in steep or brushy country they hang down in your way. If set up for walking, they were invariably too long for driving and they flopped around.

The Rick Young harness is made of small diameter bungy, with one simple spring-loaded adjuster. At first I was very skeptical regarding the small diameter bungy cord - I thought it would dig in to my shoulders and be uncomfortable; or the adjuster would be uncomfortable under a pack; or the bungy would make for a bino sling-shot into the face, etc.. I was VERY pleasantly surprised - not only was the harness very comfortable, but they hold the binos very securely. And arguably the best part, they are instantly adjustable - now when you take off or put on a heavy layer of clothing, you can have them perfectly adjustable in about 3 seconds. Oh, one other awesome point - they only cost $19.95! I bought two, one for me and one for the wife.

Give these a try, you won't be disappointed. And no, I'm not an employee of Rick Young Outdoors.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cwh2
I use the strap that came with my Leicas. Tried a couple different harness/bra systems and hated them all. A couple of buddies run that badlands system and love it though.

I'm with you Chris I just couldn't warm up to the harness either.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by jaycee
I've wasted a lot of money on various harnesses only to find them VERY lacking. Then I found the Ultra-Light Bino Harness from Rick Young Outdoors. Where were these all my life??! They are AWSOME.

+1. Good design and the best part is you can make them yourself for next to nothing. 6 ft' of shock cord, a spring toggle off an odd stuff sack, and two split rings and you are in business. Cost me maybe $5.00 in materials and 2 minutes to assemble.

My binos are relatively small and light and this set-up works great.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (Bama_Sleeper, Akhutr, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, batch, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,545 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,228
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.