Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Anyone ever used J-Bar-H Outfitters for an Elk hunt? I am considering going on my first elk hunt in 2014 and am considering J-Bar-H. Would love to hear about others experiences with them.

Last edited by scotts94_z28; 01/22/12.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I know Jeannie fairly well. We have been pumping water out of her lake for a few years to water our stock for our DYI hunts with her permission.We camp at the end of the road from her place.This is a top notch outfit, good people,good stock ,good equipment.Her hunts are very reasonable in cost

I was invited down for dinner last year and her cooks are top notch also,serving great food.

Her drop camps are very well situated for good hunts,but her lodge/camps are great too.

There are a lot of elk in Unit 12 and a good bull to cow ratio.

Last year ML season was the pits as ranchers still had thier sheep in there and had lost a bunch.

NR tags are hard to come by. If you can stand colder weather, opt for the later seasons.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/22/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I hunted with them 1st season 2008 in a drop camp when it was called Bar H. Since then the name changed to J-Bar-H. Send me a message I would be happy to talk specific with you about Jeannie and her outfit. I would overall recommend her as she ran a good outfit.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Might be a problem getting booked ,most of her clients are repeat customers and tags are not easy to come by in that unit.
I talked to some NR ML hunters last year and it had taken them 11 points to draw.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
2014 will be my third time hunting with them. Jeanne has an outstanding crew and knows the area. I highly recommend J Bar H, but you need to make your reservations at least one year ahead of when you want to hunt because of all of the repeat hunters. The cabins are nice, but you will have to spend 1 to 2 hours traveling to your hunting area. The tents are closer and just as good.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'll tell you just how good Jeanne is. The first time we drove up there to scout the area on a DYI hunt, we stopped and talked to her. She offered all the information we could handle without a hitch. She is on the Colorado CPW Wildlife Commission and is a respected member.

One year I was up there hunting by myself and she graciously offered me to camp down on her property so she could see I was OK at intervals. She invited me to dinner and her cooks throw a great table. You won't go to bed hungry.

Where we camp, there is no water for the livestock and at first we pumped it out of her little lake. Now that she has spring fed cistern, she lets us fill our water barrels there at her cabins instead. We take her a few bottles of wine and a case of beer for her staff.

Last year, when my mule took off and I got pretty banged up. I mentioned to her that I might sell it. A few days later one of her staff came up to look at it and I told him I would think about it more and let him know later.

In December I emailed her to tell her I could not in good conscious sell this mule to anyone as I would feel guilty as all heck if it did the same to a new owner and they got hurt.

We emailed back and forth a few times and she told me she had little mule that she bought the previous spring, but only because the fellow needed the money for medical bills for their son. She really didn't want the mule, but bought it anyway so the son could get medical attention. She had offered the mule to one of her staff, and he was thinking about it, but I had told Jeanne I would probably have to quit hunting unless I found an older, smaller, bomb proof mule, I could hunt on.

She quoted me a price well below what the mule was worth and told me she had it a year and found no holes in it. I trusted her 100% and went up and picked it up in early January. (600 mile round trip).I rode it about 100 yards and put it in the trailer and came home.

This mule has the sweetest disposition of any mule I have owned. I go out in the field, call it and he comes right up to me and stands when I put the halter one. He rides great, easy to trim, jumps into the trailer and loves people.

Hopefully because of her generosity. I can add another fives years to my hunting career if my health holds.

I have talked to quite few of her clients that I meet on the trails and I have never heard any of them bad mouth her.

One year, when about 2500 sheep got loose and spread out across the whole area, it really screwed up the hunting .One of the camps up high, she went up, packed, them all up and move them to another camp.

You won't see her sitting around the base camp while her staff does all the work. She is out there on the trails, checking camps, packing hunters in and out, taking meat out. What ever is needed.

Some hunters have taken their wives along and when they are out hunting, the wives lounge around the cabins and have just as much fun.

This lady is one of the nicest person I have ever met.

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/28/14.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My only guided hunt was with Jeanne in 2012 archery season. While I did not kill an elk, I would recommend J-Bar-H without any reservation.

A few pics:
Base Camp where everyone meets, packs and departs on horses. I guess some hunt from here too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tack room where gear is weighed and loaded.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hunt camp. After a day of horseback riding:
Cook tent
[Linked Image]

inside cook tent

[Linked Image]

sleep tent:

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/alb...lk%20Hunt/P1010127_zpsdb17c34e.jpg[/img]

in the woods:

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/alb...lk%20Hunt/P1010156_zps7ab47bce.jpg[/img]

an area we hunted a few miles from camp that held elk
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/alb...lk%20Hunt/P1010108_zpsec76530c.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/alb...lk%20Hunt/P1010109_zpseed8891e.jpg[/img]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Jeanne's (former?) husband owed me some antler and some fancy wood pieces (from brothers archery building) in trade for some knives. After several years of getting only promises from him, I received a box of wood pieces (good for knife handles) and a note from Jeanne saying the box had sat around for years with my name on it --so here it is.
Not surprised at the excellent reports above. I hunted northwest of Meeker a lot from 1994 to 2012 and Jeanne always seemed to have been well spoken of if it came up.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Up to the top. Would like to hear more about this operation.

Roy

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
sounds like a top notch outfitter. Wish I had the $$ and points to book a hunt with them.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Okay Roy keep me posted on what you discover, looking to start chasing them with the bow.

Don't gobble at me
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
RTSJ. You might want to go on facebook and look her up. You will find that she is first rate and has outstanding reviews. This will be our fifth and next year sixth hunt with her. I have seen Elk every year and have gotten one 50% of the time. At least one of our group has gotten an Elk every year. The food is excellent and guides are very good. You will not be sorry that you booked a hunt with her. You do not need any points for rifle during the second and third seasons. You will need two points for archery and if out of state, 11 points for muzzle loader. Do yourself a favor and get in touch with her. She is very friendly and will help you even if you don't hunt with her.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I hunted with j Bar H in 2014. Everything others have said is true. Great outfit, food, etc. I killed a nice 5pt bull with my ml. It took me 12 points to draw. I wouldn't hesitate to book with them again.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

711 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 160user, 19rabbit52, 16Racing, 69 invisible), 3,114 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,147
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.