-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Back in the 1980s, Remington cataloged some 700s with synthetic stocks, this was before synthetic stocks became the norm, and called them the 700AS and 700RS. As I understand the "AS" suffix indicated that the rifle came with an "Arylon" stock and the "RS" suffix indicted that the rifle came with a "Rynite" stock. IIRC, the "Arylon/AS" stocks were made by B&C and the "Rynite/RS" stocks were made by Six Enterprises, (not Six Industries).

Is that correct?

Jeff

Last edited by 260Remguy; 02/26/14. Reason: Oops, wrong name!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I recall a stock company named Six Enterprises. Had one of their stocks for an M70 - it was a POS.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
You're right, it is Six Enterprises, not Six Industries!

Jeff

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Back in the 1980s, Remington cataloged some 700s with synthetic stocks, this was before synthetic stocks became the norm, and called them the 700AS and 700RS. As I understand the "AS" suffix indicated that the rifle came with an "Arylon" stock and the "RS" suffix indicted that the rifle came with a "Rynite" stock. IIRC, the "Arylon/AS" stocks were made by B&C and the "Rynite/RS" stocks were made by Six Industries.

Is that correct?

Jeff

This is little history on Lee Six

http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/2010/07/stocks-composite-stocks.html

If you could find old Brownells catalog from the 80's Lee's stocks were listed for the Remington.

Sorry couldn't help more

USMC
Life Member VFW
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks!

Anybody else out there with Six Enterprises stock experience?

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Jeff

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Lee Six used to partner with Chet Brown. They split the sheets soon after, and Six went toward the injected/polymer stocks while Brown stayed with the fiberglass lay-ups.

I personally have owned 3 Six stocks; a SA Remington 700, a tang Ruger RL (for the 20" LW barrel), and a tang Ruger SA for a heavy varmint barrel. Of the 3, I still have the Ruger varmint model.

I found the fit of the stock required a generous amount of Dremel work and some AcraGlass. And the stock lacked any "checkering" and was quite slick on the surface. Krylon Fusion and webbing paint helped that considerably.

Unless you like to tinker a lot, I'd pass on it.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I once owned a Six stock for my XP-100's. It did what it was supposed to do. The format was ergonomic & slick, which didn't bother me. I'd own another if it fell in my lap. My next XP build will get a McMillan.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Back in the 1980s, Remington cataloged some 700s with synthetic stocks, this was before synthetic stocks became the norm, and called them the 700AS and 700RS. As I understand the "AS" suffix indicated that the rifle came with an "Arylon" stock and the "RS" suffix indicted that the rifle came with a "Rynite" stock. IIRC, the "Arylon/AS" stocks were made by B&C and the "Rynite/RS" stocks were made by Six Enterprises, (not Six Industries).

Is that correct?

Jeff

Jeff,

I have always been told that the "FS" stock was fiberglass and made by Brown Precision.

The "AS" or Arylon stock was made by Six Enterprises. (Basically the same as what we know today as "tupperware".

And the "RS" or Ryanite stock was made by Butler Creek.

I've had both and physically that seems to be correct. The RS stock had a good "feel" to it, but seemed awfully heavy... HTH...

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I had a Six Enterprises for a Ruger M77R Tang Safety in .243 (Liberty Model with a Sporter Weight Barrel). That stock never did quite fit right. I had to do a lot of work on it to get the floor plate to fit. Should have had it bedded but didn't. On the plus side I liked the shape and feel of the stock.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Back about 1982, I sold a Ruger tanger to a relative who was just starting to hunt. Couple of years later, he dropped it and busted the stock right at the pistol grip. He picked up one of the Six stocks pretty cheap and hunted with the rifle for a dozen or so years. It's now sitting in his closet as he doesn't hunt anymore.

Dale

This space for rent

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I bought a few stocks from Lee Six in the late seventies; before he started doing the injection molded stocks. The fiberglass stocks were much better in many respects, to those from Brown Precision. More rigid and a little better finished.
I still have a BR stock downstairs which I bought from Lee Six in 1979. I think I'll put it on a Hall action and shoot it this summer.
I also still have some original 6BR brass which I got from Cindy Six when she was forming it for those of us who were too lazy to do it ourselves.
The injection molded stocks were a way to sell a bunch of stocks to Remington and I guess that plan worked out. It was no real favor to rifle buyers though.
It has been fascinating to see the evolution of the synthetic stock from the time I got my first one in 1976. They have gone from being regarded as slightly off beat to where they are actually preferred by a large percentage of hunters.
Anyway, the fiberglass stocks from Six Enterprises were good, solid, stocks and well designed and executed. Better made than the Browns, they are a good example of the early synthetics and worth having. The injection molded stocks, not so much. GD

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Six Enterprises stock from a Remington 700 in 7mm Remington Magnum. It was my only centerfire rifle from when I was 18 to about 26. The stock was stiff and held zero well, even though I never had it bedded.

The action is wearing a new barrel and a Sendero takeoff stock, but I have the stock still, hoping to use it for another rifle. The stock has the most "soul" of any injection molded stock I've seen.

TANSTAAFL
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Just curious, but what is your definition of "soul" as it pertains to an injection molded piece of hydrocarbon?

There are currently two Six Enterprises stocks for sale on eBay for $60 each, plus the same seller has what might be a LA 700 Ti stock for $50. I'm going to pass on this opportunity, as the seller has the following notice attached to his eBay ads that raises a few questions in my mind:

"WARNING FOR CUSTOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE CHECK VERY CAREFULLY ABOUT ITEM. IF IT IS NOT LOOK LIKE THE ONE YOU NEED DON'T BUY IT. IT IS NOT EASY FOR ME TO REFUND YOU FAST BECAUSE I TRAVELLED EVERY WEEKS AND I HAVE TO MUCH TROUBLE WITH REFUND TO CUSTOMER RIGHT AWAYS (VERY SLOW FOR REFUND PLUS I WILL DEDUCT 23.5% FOR "FEE" FOR EBAY NEVER REFUND BACK TO MY ACCOUNT). PLEASE UNDERSTAND ON THIS DEAL FOR BUY ITEMS FROM ME. I HAD TO MANY PROBLEM WITH A FEW BUYERS WHO DIDN'T UNDERSTAND BUT ONLY TROUBLE WITH ME."

Jeff

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I know, I know. The quotations around soul were meant to show a bit of sarcasm.

It looks more like a layup. It has a texture and surface appearance that is much more complex than the usual flat uniform smooth appearance of the more usual injection molded stock.

I like my stock, but I fully realize that I have a bit of a sentimental feeling for it.

TANSTAAFL
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
In the 80s, I bought a aftermarket Six Enterprises injection molded stock for a 700 ADL. The stock was advertised by Six as made from a GE thermoplastic with the trade name 'Noryl'. Arylon might be the made-up name Remington used for Noryl. The Six stock weighted more than the factory Walnut.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 25 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,740
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.