Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Don't those RN's automatically drop to the ground after 50 yards?

(Edited: I've seen them do that--inside dead animals that also dropped to the ground.)

Last edited by Mule Deer; 03/04/14.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I love my RNs, provided they are of the proper construction to match MV of course. For years I used the 220gr Hornady RN out of my 300 Weatherby and it hit like a hammer and out to 300 yards I really saw no difference compared to a Spitzer. Still have a few around. I switched to 180 Hornadys due to a last minute [bleep] by Weatherby (they loaded the old Barnes Xs too hot) and took those to Africa. NVER AGAIN. Next trip I used 180 Partitions with outstanding success. I have now gone almost exclusively to TTSXs including my 416 Rigby and 375.

They both also love the A Frames. My 450NE double likes Woodleigh RNs very well and of course the Hornady DGX (it was regulated with those), but cooked up some very good loads using 450gr North Fork softs and solids. They regulate perfectly and it's a darned good, albeit expensive bullet.

So why the long diatribe? Well, two things, when I shot at garbage (gallon jugs filled w water) I use Hornadys, but when a multiK trophy fee is on the line, I MATCH bullet to trophy fee. It's that simple.

Last edited by jorgeI; 03/04/14.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Here are some A-Frames that I pulled out of some of my buffalo. They are so predictable at it is almost boring, but boring in a good way. I have others, and of course many were never recovered. I know that they open up well on smaller animals but have never found any in anything other than buffalo.

[Linked Image]

By contrast, this bullet was one of six I pumped into a buffalo with a 450 Nitro Express. They all did the same thing. The bull was helpful in that he ran the wrong way (for him) and turned enough that he got shots 3,4 and 5 on the opposite side of the first two. These were factory loaded DGXs, used exactly as they were supposed to be. Hornady is apparently rather proud of these, and has some paid for opinions to back it up.

[Linked Image]

I'm trying to think of a better word, but "garbage" works as well as anything else.

I'm not one to say that a high price is an indication of suitability for purpose, or that a low price makes a bullet worthless for everything. There are times when I'll use the budget bullets over some "premium" bullets by choice. A trip to Africa with a .375 isn't the time. With high trophy fees, long and expensive flights and the sickening feeling of being able to predict the remaining safaris in my life, it just isn't the time to save a buck.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Con
There's a guy down the road with plenty of time spent in Australia, NZ, Nth America and Africa and a trophy room that resembles a museum. Speaking of which I need to go visit and see his lion and hippo from the last trip. Mostly uses his own made cup/core projectiles. Asked him why he doesn't use premiums and response was typical Aussie dry humour ... "I just shoot them again". laugh
Cheers...
Con

I can just picture him saying it too. The Aussies have a different mindset, largely due to the hunting they do. They will listen semi politely with a little grin while a hunter tells him how he is geared up with his .300 magnum for the 300 yard Texas heart-shot on an elk that he might have to take someday after carrying his rifle around for 2 weeks without a shot opportunity. The Aussie probably shot 50 of something before lunch with a .308 or 30-06 and Blue Box Federal that he found on the ute floor, and sort of wonders why you wouldn't just shoot it in the back of the head, or plan to shoot it twice since that's likely what you'll end up doing anyway. Or let that one go and be happy with the other 49.

Both guys are sincere in their beliefs, but they would have to swap boots for awhile before seeing from the opposite point of view. Most of the time that doesn't happen.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ringworm
Good for you.
I'm glad you have significantly more money than me.
I don't drool over Leica binoculars or drive a 40k diesel.
I find joy in doing more with less.
your 5000 word essay provides evidence you prefer to go the long way to reach the same point.
to each his own.
I shoot my question rifles a lot and often.
I can't afford to toss 65 bucks down range 2-3 times a week.

No one is advocating shooting premium bullets over and over at the range. One or two good trips to see how/where they shoot.
Shoot cheap bullets at the range, premiums on your safari.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
ringworm,

The Speer BTSP is softer than the Hornady.

How do the Sierra 250's and 300's stack up against the Speer BTSP regarding softness?

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
They're harder. In fact they're pretty hard.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm thinking the 270 Speer BTSP may be optimal for chest shooting WT deer. Seems the 235 Speer is harder than the 270 BTSP and may be more likely to blow through a WT chest with less expansion and friability than the 270. Would like your opinion on that.

I'm looking for the best .375 bullet to use on Louisiana WT's, to give me more experience with my .375 M-70 Classic. By becoming familiar with that gun, I should be more proficient using it on larger animals. Of course, I'll use an appropiate bullet and load for those applications.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great photo showing good performance:

[Linked Image]

I've never used Swifts, but was an early - and very satisfied - adopter of the Barnes X -TSX line.

Another bullet that I can rave about, but it is impossible to find these days is the RWS H-Mantle. The performance of that bullet out of my 9.3 X 62 has been down right amazing. From leopard to sable to Cape buffalo, it performed beyond all others. The H-Mantle is not constructed exactly the same as A-Frames or Nosler Partitions. The front end blows up and the rear 70% continues as solid giving exceptional penetration.

Hard to find, and the last time I bought them they were more than a buck a piece. Chump change on a $30k Safari (Ah, the good old days before paying for college tuition, and food, and other foolishness:)

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know about WT but the 300 NP does a good job, most DRT, on Sitka BT deer on Kodiak and most anything else you may want to shoot. --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm sure 300's would work well. I was wanted a lighter bullet just for WT's. I have some 225 Horn SP's that I'm going to try. I'll push them around 2,500 to 2,600 fps and see how they perform.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
They're harder. In fact they're pretty hard.

I was thinking about using this bullet in my 378 Bee. I do not really trust them with the jacket core separation in the past so I played with it.

Out of curiosity I shot one 300 gr Sierra gameking in wet newsprint out of my 378 Bee at 3050 fps MV. Impact was at 40 yards. Opened up to 70 plus caliber and retained 214.5 grains. Now if all of them do this I am IMPRESSED! Will found out tomorrow what they shoot like.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That is interesting. How far did it penetrate?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not sure to be honest....

μολὼν λαβέ

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I found some today, and will give them a try in the new .375 Weatherby barrel on my old CZ and at least see if they shoot. I've spent more time wondering thick skinned capable bullets in .375 than black bear suitability. It could be fun to try it out in the coming weeks.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Another test

[Linked Image]

μολὼν λαβέ

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Here are some A-Frames removed from a buff. Solids are Barnes. I have used A-Frames on fifteen safaris and have never had anything other that what you see here for results.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The swift may be the ticket but at more than double the price?

it's darn cheap insurance for an expensive hunt.

If one can afford the hunt he can easily afford the bullets.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by vapodog
The swift may be the ticket but at more than double the price?

it's darn cheap insurance for an expensive hunt.

If one can afford the hunt he can easily afford the bullets.

I concur

μολὼν λαβέ

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A box of 50 300 gr Swift Aframes cost $65 bucks....pretty cheap compared to the cost of an African hunt.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

601 members (19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,000 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,237
Posts18,447,813
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.