Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#8642631 03/03/14
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Which is softer, ie more likely to expand at slower velocity...
Speer btsp 270 or hornady sp.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those 270 Hornadys I have recovered have not made nice pretty catalog mushrooms. They compress back, and begin to crumble at the edges. They are very hard brittle lead in my experience.

I have never personally used the Speers. The softest sweetest looking 270 mushroomed bullets even on impala are with the Swift Aframes. They are an amazing lethal killer of lighter game. I shot a departing wounded impala in the tail and recovered the bullet in the throat skin. This was a 80 meter shot The bullet could have been used as an advertisement it was such a perfect mushroom!

They are very soft, but they do stay in one piece

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
ringworm,

The Speer BTSP is softer than the Hornady.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
The swift may be the ticket but at more than double the price?

I used a hornady this season on a big whitetail and found a 39 grain chunk of lead in a tenderloin.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I used the Speer 270 gr. bullets on several animals:

Impala; DRT and the bullet wasn't recovered.

Warthog; DRT and the bullet wasn't recovered.

Blesbok; DRT and the bullet wasn't recovered.

Blue Wildebeest; the bullet entered the right shoulder and came to rest under the skin on the opposite side. The animal ran about 200 yards and died. The bullet was perfectly mushroomed but there had been jacket/core separation.

Warthog; ran probably 80 yards and died and the bullet wasn't recovered.

Zebra; went probably 25 yards and died in a big pool of blood. The bullet broke up but had likely hit a branch before it hit the Zebra.

In my opinion, dead is dead and though I now used different bullets in my 375s, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Speers again.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I shoot the 235gr speers and they perform great on thin skinned animals.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Several years old but still relevent:

As hunters who have jobs with some company provided vacation time. Self employed guys who risk the loss of income when not working. Combined with the family responsibility to see the kids at soccer, visit Disney land, weddings, barbeques. There is a whole gamut of �stuff� that eats into your weekends and vacation time for hunting trips.The days a field for so many folks that hunt seem to have a priority that is very little understood by spouses, employers, or your business customer base.

What this means is that many guys have a week to plan a trip away or maybe just intermittent weekends during a short season. Because of this most outdoorsmen have a lot more time to study the most recent catalogs then they do to spend time in the bush scouting and hunting. The time spent mentally on your hunting activity can be overwhelming and it will tend to preoccupy your mind, and much of your time.

How many times have you been sitting with your wife across from you while she is talking and asking questions but it�s just a drone of mumbling that is more like waves washing up on the beach then an actual language you hear? Then all of a sudden you snap out of it with a�� �sorry honey what was that you said?� She thinks you�re an idiot and has to start all over again. The same can be said with your kids, they ask you stuff but your reply is �I�m not sure, check with your Mom first� You had no idea what it was they asked but entrust the wife with that before admitting you had no idea what was just asked of you because you were off in never never land again thinking of how you could pack your tree stand in with your other gear in a single trip.

Or what was needed to prepare the camper before you leave Friday morning. This is common with your employer too. You really needed to get on line to check on the parts for a big job coming up and the delivery is critical. While on the computer you take a few seconds to check on the weather where your going to be hunting. Then you see about the tracking number from UPS for the hunting gear you just ordered. While your there you decide to check in with your favorite hunting forum just to see what�s new with the guys and catch up.

By the time you walk away and go to the next responsibility you realize you never did check on those parts and never again recall that effort until hours later when the boss asks about it. Driving home from work with the days getting shorter and the leaves falling you stop at the local sporting goods store to pick up a few things and see that new jacket or rain gear and of course you will need this stuff for the trip. You stop by the counter and drool over the Leica and Swarovski glasses wondering if you had a pair if you would actually see those animals that escaped you in the past.

When you arrive home your lovely bride asks for the bag of groceries you were to get on the way home so she could complete the family�s dinner. Yep forgot that completely. Oh well back to the store now. Not all bad because you can collect the additional snacks and food for your trip. The pattern starts again after dinner with the family talking in the back ground and the television flickering with a monotone hum you pay no attention to at all. You toss and turn all night with the thoughts racing through your head about all the things you need to get together and checks needed on the camper and truck or ATV or the boat. Oil, tires, grease the wheel bearings, etc, etc, In the morning you walk out the door with your coffee to the truck.

It�s too hot to drink so you stick it in the cup holder and head off to work. The cold morning air is like some kind of drug this time of year. It puts your mind into hunting mode. There is something about the fall�s cold crisp mornings that changes your metabolism and your bodily functions because you are so completely focused now on only one goal. You have now consumed half that cup of coffee and realize it�s so bitter and strong that it�s disgusting. During the drive you have consumed half this coffee and only now realized you forgot to add sugar and cream . Furthermore you are nearly at the jobsite and you have no recollection of the trip here. You never saw a stop light, never recalled using a turn signal, heck you don�t recall any part of the 20 mile drive!

How the heck did you arrive at this point with absolutely no recollection of the past thirty minutes? This evening you get your gear together and lay it out on the garage floor. Rifle, which was about $1000.00 bucks. This took a lot of nickels and dimes that you worked and scraped together for a few years. You had the local gunsmith tune this thing into the finest shooting machine of all time. Your Expensive Vari X III to match the quality of the rifles capabilities. You have your new field glasses, boots, camo goretex, dry plus, fleece outerwear and the GPS, knives, rangefinder, pack frame, rope, chapstick, bug spray etc etc.

The truck is fueled up and air pressure in the tires checked ready for launch at 5AM tomorrow for the 8 hour drive to camp! Arriving at the camp you can sit back and finally relax. Your hunting partners are clearly impressed as you even remembered to take the family coffee maker from the kitchen and the jiffy pop for the campfire. That night you when you try to sleep even with the comfort of knowing you remembered everything you still toss and turn with the anticipation of first light and what you might see this year.

You are up way before the alarm and dressed and ready to go. Belly full of donuts and coffee and you hit the old logging road leading up into the hills. The frost is heavy amplifying the early morning light, just enough to see clearly without any light. The cold breeze in your face makes your eyes water a bit as you begin the uphill climb. About 100 yards later you feel nice and warm inside that high teck clothing you sprung for. You slow down just a bit so reduce the potential of getting cold later from being sweaty now. Sitting on the ridge glassing the area you see game but nothing to shoot.

The day goes by with lots of game but no legal animals seen. This pattern continues for the next several days. One of the guys sharing camp has tagged out and another has had a shot but missed or could not find his game. Then one morning several days later you glass across the canyon and see one exceptional animal. You have to clear your eyes and mind then find someplace to rest the glasses for a steady hold because you cannot believe that it�s that good. You know the area and decide to get to the location before it leaves or another hunter sees it from a different vantage point. You will have to strip off the heavy coat and leave all excess gear behind. You get across that canyon in near record time, up hill, cross country, and find that you are now within the functional and comfortable range to shoot.

You study the area and see the game right there. You actually feel a bit of shaking and you�re nervous about the whole event now because of all the effort you have put into this trip. Your not thinking about this right now, but the concept is running in the back of your mind with little flashes of thoughts like �you have got to make this count after all the effort you put in� ��.�don�t screw this up you don�t have many hunting days left���..If you blow this chance you might not have another one�.

Why is it that your own brain screws with you at the moment of truth? You settle in and force yourself to make this shot count. One more look at the trophy quality through the glasses to be sure it�s good. Line up the crosshairs and settle in trying to control your breathing and steady your hold. Push off the safety and slowly squeeze the trigger. ������.None of the expensive gear you bought for this trip is of any use at this moment. The effort of preparation is meaningless now. The weeks of planning and anticipation, the stress with your job and family over your lack of attention is behind you. Everything you have done to get to the point of pulling that trigger seems like slow motion as you watch the next split second to see what the results will be.

Do you really trust the bullet which is the one single thing that ties the success of the entire event and all the preparation and planning with your anticipation. It has just left the barrel of your rifle at 3000 feet per second and has a retail value of about 25cents. Was this a prudent choice? Think now, you have at least many thousands of dollars involved in this trip including the gear. Yet your only link to the success of bringing the whole trip together is that little piece of copper and lead streaking through the air towards the trophy you have been dreaming of for a year, or maybe a lifetime! Isn�t that bullet worth more then a few pennies?

I have heard countless times that premium bullets are too expensive and plain old bullets have been working for years. Well to that I say hand carved wooden arrows were used successfully for far longer then bullets but you are using a rifle! There is only one thing that connects the hunter to the trophy, it�s not the $1000.00 binoculars, or the $1000.00 rifle, or the $20,000 camper, or the $40,000 4X4 diesel pickup truck or the goretex outerwear and boots, the rangefinder, and video camera, nope it�s just that little piece of lead and copper you just send away at 3000 fps! Worth a dollar a shot? To me they are!

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Excellent read, sir, and spot on!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Good for you.
I'm glad you have significantly more money than me.
I don't drool over Leica binoculars or drive a 40k diesel.
I find joy in doing more with less.
your 5000 word essay provides evidence you prefer to go the long way to reach the same point.
to each his own.
I shoot my question rifles a lot and often.
I can't afford to toss 65 bucks down range 2-3 times a week.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like the Swift A-Frame. It kills big dangerous things well and opens up on thin skinned game like cow elks as well.

A 300g Swift A-Frame recovered from the brown bear I shot at 13 yards with a 375 Weatherby. The animal was quartering towards me. I shot through his right shoulder, blowing through both lungs, the bullet penetrated the bear diagonally ending up in the skin on the far side of opposite rear thigh.

The bullet:

[Linked Image]

The bear:

[Linked Image]

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The article was a typical example not a personal story! Ha ha that's hilarious. I don't even drink coffee or have a wife!

Why would anyone shoot that much down a target range with Aframes? That's what hornady 270 grain seconds are for.

If you did not notice this is the Aftica forum. I'm not sure how A dollar a bullet is an exceptional expense when a trophy fee is 1000 bucks and airfare is 2000 bucks?

Did I miss something where ROI was was not part of the concern? How does a guy spend 5000-8000 plus on a PG safari and struggle with a 50.00 box of bullets?

If this was the prairie dog forum I could see where it would be unrealistic
to suggest Aframes

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Phoneman
I shoot the 235gr speers and they perform great on thin skinned animals.

I've seen some pretty little mushrooms with that bullet for more than 25 years now, a lot of exits too. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The 235-grain Speer .375's are Hot-Cors. The 270-grain boattail spitzers are swaged. There's been a difference between the Hot-Cor and Speer BTSP bullets for years, even though a lot of hunters assume they're the same.

The Hot-Cors use a fairly hard lead alloy--which is pretty easily done since the core's "inserted" as molten lead. (This does NOT mean, however, that Hot-Cors are "bonded," as some people assume and even Speer's past advertising sometimes implied. Molten lead doesn't bond to a cold jacket.)

The BTSP's, however, are made like most other cup-and-cores, by swaging the jacket around a cold lead core. To make them easier to swage, Speer uses a relatively soft lead alloy. As a result they don't usually penetrate like Hot-Cors.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yessir, the little 235's being a semi-spitzer and usually driven at slightly higher speeds that the 270's sure seemed like they opened up really easy with very good penetration to boot for such a small pill.

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Why would anyone shoot that much down a target range with Aframes? That's what hornady 270 grain seconds are for.

If you did not notice this is the Aftica forum. I'm not sure how A dollar a bullet is an exceptional expense when a trophy fee is 1000 bucks and airfare is 2000 bucks?

Did I miss something where ROI was was not part of the concern? How does a guy spend 5000-8000 plus on a PG safari and struggle with a 50.00 box of bullets?

Actually, I would use Hornady seconds for practice and I would also take them on safari. I bought a bunch of them when they were on sale before the last Obama scare.

It's not that I would struggle with $50 for a box of bullets. The point is that, having worked up loads with some relatively expensive bullets, I have never found an advantage of them over the cheaper stuff on either paper or on game.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
you are right ringworm, keep shooting those garbage bullets at garbage, I do! Hack's treatise was spot on, but then again, are you ever going to Africa?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There's a guy down the road with plenty of time spent in Australia, NZ, Nth America and Africa and a trophy room that resembles a museum. Speaking of which I need to go visit and see his lion and hippo from the last trip. Mostly uses his own made cup/core projectiles. Asked him why he doesn't use premiums and response was typical Aussie dry humour ... "I just shoot them again". laugh
Cheers...
Con

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JJHACK
The article was a typical example not a personal story! Ha ha that's hilarious. I don't even drink coffee or have a wife!

If this was the prairie dog forum I could see where it would be unrealistic
to suggest Aframes

Agreed.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Con
There's a guy down the road with plenty of time spent in Australia, NZ, Nth America and Africa and a trophy room that resembles a museum. Speaking of which I need to go visit and see his lion and hippo from the last trip. Mostly uses his own made cup/core projectiles. Asked him why he doesn't use premiums and response was typical Aussie dry humour ... "I just shoot them again". laugh
Cheers...
Con

You mean he uses "garbage bullets" and they die anyway? UNBELIEVEABLE!

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Grumulkin
You mean he uses "garbage bullets" and they die anyway? UNBELIEVEABLE!

Harsh ... his technical term is 'nothing specials'. Why some are even ... blush round-nosed. blush
Cheers...
Con

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Don't those RN's automatically drop to the ground after 50 yards?

(Edited: I've seen them do that--inside dead animals that also dropped to the ground.)

Last edited by Mule Deer; 03/04/14.

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love my RNs, provided they are of the proper construction to match MV of course. For years I used the 220gr Hornady RN out of my 300 Weatherby and it hit like a hammer and out to 300 yards I really saw no difference compared to a Spitzer. Still have a few around. I switched to 180 Hornadys due to a last minute [bleep] by Weatherby (they loaded the old Barnes Xs too hot) and took those to Africa. NVER AGAIN. Next trip I used 180 Partitions with outstanding success. I have now gone almost exclusively to TTSXs including my 416 Rigby and 375.

They both also love the A Frames. My 450NE double likes Woodleigh RNs very well and of course the Hornady DGX (it was regulated with those), but cooked up some very good loads using 450gr North Fork softs and solids. They regulate perfectly and it's a darned good, albeit expensive bullet.

So why the long diatribe? Well, two things, when I shot at garbage (gallon jugs filled w water) I use Hornadys, but when a multiK trophy fee is on the line, I MATCH bullet to trophy fee. It's that simple.

Last edited by jorgeI; 03/04/14.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Here are some A-Frames that I pulled out of some of my buffalo. They are so predictable at it is almost boring, but boring in a good way. I have others, and of course many were never recovered. I know that they open up well on smaller animals but have never found any in anything other than buffalo.

[Linked Image]

By contrast, this bullet was one of six I pumped into a buffalo with a 450 Nitro Express. They all did the same thing. The bull was helpful in that he ran the wrong way (for him) and turned enough that he got shots 3,4 and 5 on the opposite side of the first two. These were factory loaded DGXs, used exactly as they were supposed to be. Hornady is apparently rather proud of these, and has some paid for opinions to back it up.

[Linked Image]

I'm trying to think of a better word, but "garbage" works as well as anything else.

I'm not one to say that a high price is an indication of suitability for purpose, or that a low price makes a bullet worthless for everything. There are times when I'll use the budget bullets over some "premium" bullets by choice. A trip to Africa with a .375 isn't the time. With high trophy fees, long and expensive flights and the sickening feeling of being able to predict the remaining safaris in my life, it just isn't the time to save a buck.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Con
Cheers...
Con

I can just picture him saying it too. The Aussies have a different mindset, largely due to the hunting they do. They will listen semi politely with a little grin while a hunter tells him how he is geared up with his .300 magnum for the 300 yard Texas heart-shot on an elk that he might have to take someday after carrying his rifle around for 2 weeks without a shot opportunity. The Aussie probably shot 50 of something before lunch with a .308 or 30-06 and Blue Box Federal that he found on the ute floor, and sort of wonders why you wouldn't just shoot it in the back of the head, or plan to shoot it twice since that's likely what you'll end up doing anyway. Or let that one go and be happy with the other 49.

Both guys are sincere in their beliefs, but they would have to swap boots for awhile before seeing from the opposite point of view. Most of the time that doesn't happen.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ringworm
Good for you.
I'm glad you have significantly more money than me.
I don't drool over Leica binoculars or drive a 40k diesel.
I find joy in doing more with less.
your 5000 word essay provides evidence you prefer to go the long way to reach the same point.
to each his own.
I shoot my question rifles a lot and often.
I can't afford to toss 65 bucks down range 2-3 times a week.

No one is advocating shooting premium bullets over and over at the range. One or two good trips to see how/where they shoot.
Shoot cheap bullets at the range, premiums on your safari.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
ringworm,

The Speer BTSP is softer than the Hornady.

How do the Sierra 250's and 300's stack up against the Speer BTSP regarding softness?

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
They're harder. In fact they're pretty hard.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm thinking the 270 Speer BTSP may be optimal for chest shooting WT deer. Seems the 235 Speer is harder than the 270 BTSP and may be more likely to blow through a WT chest with less expansion and friability than the 270. Would like your opinion on that.

I'm looking for the best .375 bullet to use on Louisiana WT's, to give me more experience with my .375 M-70 Classic. By becoming familiar with that gun, I should be more proficient using it on larger animals. Of course, I'll use an appropiate bullet and load for those applications.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great photo showing good performance:

[Linked Image]

I've never used Swifts, but was an early - and very satisfied - adopter of the Barnes X -TSX line.

Another bullet that I can rave about, but it is impossible to find these days is the RWS H-Mantle. The performance of that bullet out of my 9.3 X 62 has been down right amazing. From leopard to sable to Cape buffalo, it performed beyond all others. The H-Mantle is not constructed exactly the same as A-Frames or Nosler Partitions. The front end blows up and the rear 70% continues as solid giving exceptional penetration.

Hard to find, and the last time I bought them they were more than a buck a piece. Chump change on a $30k Safari (Ah, the good old days before paying for college tuition, and food, and other foolishness:)

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't know about WT but the 300 NP does a good job, most DRT, on Sitka BT deer on Kodiak and most anything else you may want to shoot. --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm sure 300's would work well. I was wanted a lighter bullet just for WT's. I have some 225 Horn SP's that I'm going to try. I'll push them around 2,500 to 2,600 fps and see how they perform.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
They're harder. In fact they're pretty hard.

I was thinking about using this bullet in my 378 Bee. I do not really trust them with the jacket core separation in the past so I played with it.

Out of curiosity I shot one 300 gr Sierra gameking in wet newsprint out of my 378 Bee at 3050 fps MV. Impact was at 40 yards. Opened up to 70 plus caliber and retained 214.5 grains. Now if all of them do this I am IMPRESSED! Will found out tomorrow what they shoot like.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That is interesting. How far did it penetrate?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure to be honest....

μολὼν λαβέ

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I found some today, and will give them a try in the new .375 Weatherby barrel on my old CZ and at least see if they shoot. I've spent more time wondering thick skinned capable bullets in .375 than black bear suitability. It could be fun to try it out in the coming weeks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another test

[Linked Image]

μολὼν λαβέ

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Here are some A-Frames removed from a buff. Solids are Barnes. I have used A-Frames on fifteen safaris and have never had anything other that what you see here for results.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

it's darn cheap insurance for an expensive hunt.

If one can afford the hunt he can easily afford the bullets.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by vapodog

it's darn cheap insurance for an expensive hunt.

If one can afford the hunt he can easily afford the bullets.

I concur

μολὼν λαβέ

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A box of 50 300 gr Swift Aframes cost $65 bucks....pretty cheap compared to the cost of an African hunt.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BobinNH
A box of 50 300 gr Swift Aframes cost $65 bucks....pretty cheap compared to the cost of an African hunt.

True, but he did say he was looking for a soft bullet that opens easy at low velocities. Isn't he just shooting whitetails?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah but I thought we had sort of moved "off topic".. smile

I can't think of a 375 bullet that won't do a through job on a whitetail. I'd grab a 235 gr Speer.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's gone way the f uck off topic. I was almost going to suggest these:

[Linked Image]

They aren't real "soft", harder than the speer or Hornady's, but would knock the hell out of a whitetail.. whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Yeah but I thought we had sort of moved "off topic".. smile

I can't think of a 375 bullet that won't do a through job on a whitetail. I'd grab a 235 gr Speer.

It would likely kill little things like whitetail and small antelope more decisively than the heavier and tougher bullets that are perfect for animals 10 times the size. I do tend to use one bullet for everything in the .375 though, and that one is the A-Frame.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always used 300 grain bullets in mine, for everything that I've pointed it at. I like the way 300 grain Nosler Partitions that fly from my rifles and especially from the .375 H&H.

Never really had a complaint, although I had one that didn't quite penetrate deeply enough on an Alaska/Yukon bull moose at 700+ yards that a client had wounded and which I was trying to prevent from escaping. But, I hit a shoulder blade. Even still, it got into the chest cavity.

And I once had another client-wounded bull moose which was directly below - virtually straight below - at about 20 feet and the bullet ricocheted off the left shoulder, without penetrating the skin (even).

However, in terms of deer-size game, I've always had plenty of penetration with 300 grain Partitions. I once whacked a Sitka blacktail buck on Kodiak Island, that was somewhere over 400 yards, and the 300 grain Partition bullet went clean through to the hide on the off-side.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
It's gone way the f uck off topic. I was almost going to suggest these:

[Linked Image]

They aren't real "soft", harder than the speer or Hornady's, but would knock the hell out of a whitetail.. whistle

Those will work! smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As will 260 Accubond seconds

μολὼν λαβέ

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I believe you... grin

Haven't tried them yet.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fotis
As will 260 Accubond seconds

Send some my way. I'll put them to the test and see if you are right laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
260 gr Accubond recovered from a good size black bear, about 10' away:

[Linked Image]

I suppose it would work just fine on a whitetail too.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Funny it stayed in.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shot a lot of stuff with 300 grain A-frames. They shoot very well in my Ruger 77 Safari Grade H&H. They perform perfectly every time. I see no reason to use anything else.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Funny it stayed in.

Yeah, I thought that was interesting too. I've had them go right on through, leaving a very dead bear behind.

This one was the final shot on a wounded bear we followed up, into the brush, at very close range, through both shoulders. It was actually hanging backwards out of the hide, with just the base of the bullet exposed. Never saw that before.

Regards, Guy

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
.375 260gr accubond, lengthwise through a hog...starting velocity mild, this one was a 375jdj carbine.
[Linked Image]

============================================================

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
167 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 14 invisible), 1,474 guests, and 833 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,908
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.