Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My experience is with the Fusion 1600, not the One mile.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The latest Fusions have much better optics than the originals, and the range-finder is even a little better. But the overall build quality seems like it might be flimsier, so I'm waiting until after I've use my test sample in the field awhile before making up my mind.

I still have the original Fusion, and have used it hard for three years now. The optics are OK for most hunting, but not for serious open-county glassing. However, they're apparently very well-built, because they've taken a licking and kept on ticking.

I've used the newer Swarovski and Zeiss enough to know they have very good optics--though as others have pointed out, not as good as the non-laser glass from the same companies. The range-finders are very good.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great recap, Shrap, MD, and others.

I've been mulling the same decision as GH but after reading all this I think I'll stick with my 10x42 Swaro's and keep using my LRF.

I've been thinking that the range finding EL's were the way to go but I think I'll spend the coin on something else.

Good info in this thread, thanks!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Thanks everybody for the input/opinions. Shrapnel - I was hoping for such an experienced/detailed comparison, but didn't think I'd get it - Thanks. I really appreciate the time you took to jot all that down.

I found out yesterday I won a pair of new Swaro EL 10X42s from the B&C club (didn't even know I was in any kind of contest until they sent me an email).

What to do? I might just have to keep these ELs as I've used them before and they are terrific.

Once I used a LRF/Bino combo, there was no going back. I don't think I've taken my old LRF 1200 out of it's case since using a combo unit.

For the type of hunting I do, the ability to spot, range, and decide on a shot in one motion makes the combo well worth it. No dinking around trying to find the LRF buried in my coat when I should be shooting.

The concept of a LRF/bino combo is KISS simple. Carrying fewer pieces of junk strapped to my body is always a plus.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Only issue I've found with the combo is inability to use with one hand. Being rt handed, I cannot operate, especially the old combo leicas with button on left side, with one hand.Not big issue with rifle but to me, a major deal with bow. Maybe the new version with button on rt side this can be accomplished.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm in the same camp, using glasses and knowing range in one instant is priceless.

For my work, judging a trophy, telling the hunter the range and never taking my eyes off the animal is perfect.

When it's said the optics are not as good on the LR models, true. However the optics are still a long shot better then anything less then the big three. I would rate them at equal to late 90s quality of the big three.

I personally use the geovids 10x42 these leave me wanting for nothing. At least for big game hunting.

Well one compliant, if I'm nit picking. The buttons are on the left. As a right handed bow hunter it's awkward switching hands to use it. If the buttons were on the right, it would be far easier to hold my bow and range a target.

They are built like a German tank and do exactly what I expect without all the clutter in the view

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
jj

which model bushnells were you having problems with?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The one mile fusion

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thx

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by David_Walter
and for economy, how's the Bushnell fusions?

I have the Bushnell and really like them. I hunt with guys who have Leica and Zeis and although they are a bit clearer, not $1500 clearer. I have never felt I was doing without and I make enough money to buy what want, there is just not enough enough justification IMHO.

Good Shooting!
IC B3

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I'm in the same camp, using glasses and knowing range in one instant is priceless.

Me too. Or at least I think so. I've never actually used them myself because I'm color blind and have a hard time seeing the auto-intensity-levelling red color displays which are in every make of integrated LRF/bino of which I am aware. This is especially true on bright, sunny days.

However, last fall my hunting partner/guide had a pair (I don't recall which make or model - a Zeiss maybe?) and was so fast and efficient on range calls it really got my attention. So I decided to look again.

Turns out the Swarovski light intensity read out is user selectable and is of a color I can actually see when the intensity level is turned up a bit. Sold. The Swarovski has an inclinometer (plus), and does NOT have a trajectory computer (another plus). The only negatives, besides the alpha-minus glass, is that it doesn't range inside 35 yards and the chance the electronics go belly-up in the field.

Time will tell how well they hold up. But I'm looking forward to using them this fall.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hmmm. Sounds like I need a lesson in rangefinding technologies.

I own the Geovid 15 x 56 HD as well as the Zeiss 8 x 45 RF. Didn't need the rangefinder on the 15x's (I wanted the exceptional optics quality for my tripod mounted use of these) but fell in love with the concept with my handhelds. Saving critical seconds in using a separate rangefinder can mean the difference between whacking a once-in-a-lifetime animal (or a $20k one) and losing him.

The Leica's have the laser beam leaving the bino from the center hinge pin......not thru the barrels. Does it return thru the barrels........and therefore the optical quality of the barrels needs to suffer accordingly? Or is the laser the pulsing type that reads upon sending only and doesn't return to the unit to quote yards?

The Zeiss laser originates from inside a barrel. Consequently, Zeiss didn't make this bino with the Flourite HD glass.......whether or not it returns thru a barrel (if it returns at all)........and I fully understand.

Can anyone please enlighten me?

Last edited by StripBuckHunter; 03/07/14.

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 10x42mm Geovids are one of my favorite possessions. If there is better glass, it's not better enough to make a difference with me. 100% function. 0% failure. I would never change to two separate units. Being able to range what I'm glassing when I'm glassing it is too unbelievably helpful to me.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I am holding out for the next generation of rangefinding binocular that has internet service. Then I can surf the web while out in the field waiting for something to happen. whistle

After having separate and combined concepts in the field, I am staying with the two separate unit concept. While not as convenient, I'd rather have optimal glass than a rangefinder feature which slightly degrades the system.

I should add that everyone has to make their own decision. Its all good! But to have this level of optical and electronic genius is a testament to the entrepreneurial spirit!

Last edited by bigwhoop; 03/08/14.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks everybody for the input/opinions. Shrapnel - I was hoping for such an experienced/detailed comparison, but didn't think I'd get it - Thanks. I really appreciate the time you took to jot all that down.

I found out yesterday I won a pair of new Swaro EL 10X42s from the B&C club (didn't even know I was in any kind of contest until they sent me an email).

What to do? I might just have to keep these ELs as I've used them before and they are terrific.

Goat picture?......You owe Jake a steak dinner....grin!

Get a Vector 21, or find someone who has one and always take them hunting with you.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Throwing out the XL Vectors with the $5K++ price tags, which is best the Swaro, Zeiss, or Leica? What are the pros/cons and how do they compare?

Sick of carrying both my SLC and LRF.

I have not tried all the ranging binoc's but have come down to a simple system that works for me. At different times though I've had all the "alpha" glasses in one model or another, enough to give me a perspective on quality, price, and customer service which I've needed twice with two different brands -- Leica and Swarovski. Both were acceptable.

I simply run a Leica 8x32 for everything. Small, compact, very good optics. Next, for serious sit and glass with a tripod, I have a Leica Geovid 15x56 which I'm very pleased with and it is so much easier and more comfortable than one-eye spotters. I also have Leica LRF 1200 for on foot after spotted game. But for ultimate detail when glassing I go to a Zeiss spotter, 15-45 x 60, still light and compact enough to pack with a lightweight tripod.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had the Leica Geovids and I have since switched to the zeiss. To my eyes the zeiss has a friendlier eye box(I wear glasses). I think the zeiss tends to be a little bit more consistent on ranging animals. I looked through the swaro that a friend has and I had heck getting them to range. Im sure with some more practice I would get use to them. Pretty hard to go wrong with the zeiss, leica or swaro.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought my Geovids in 2009. I was in Manhattan, and bought them on site at NYCL's store. It's a different kind of wilderness area than most of us hunt in, but a staff member let me take them out the front door (with him accompanying me) and scan the horizon. I looked through the Geovids, and various high-end non-range-finding binos from Zeiss, Swaro, and Leica facing north up Lexington Ave. the furthest/smallest signs I could read with the Geos were also the furthest and smallest I could read with the other non-range-finding binos. I have (or at least had) better than 20/20 eye-sight at the time.

Of course, there could be some aberration in my experiment. It is specific to the particular binos I tried, and the 2009 models. It also says little about the color gradients accurately represented in the various binos I tried. But, as far as those binos on that day, I could read no smaller/further letter with the others than I could with the Leicas. I'm not saying there is not some difference or that someone might reach different results. I'm just saying that, if you're going to spend more than $2K or so on a set of binos, if you can do so, it is nice to be able to see what your own eyes will see out of the various models. If I had seen any significant improvement between the Geovids and other models, I would have bought soething else. In my particular case, and with the particular items I was looking through, I didn't. You're mileage may vary, but it would be a good idea to find out before you spend that much IMO.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I contend that if you did not know which you were looking through, there would be no way to tell the difference between 1998-2000 trinovids

And the glass in current production 10x42 geovids it's that good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Get a Vector 21, or find someone who has one and always take them hunting with you.

Hmmmm.....good idea.

Why didn't I think of that?.

smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
258 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 41 invisible), 2,170 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.