Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
... Would you druthers use a vest or a pack?

Been kicking around the idea that I need to try out a sling pack but just can't commit for some reason.

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I decided to downsize the amount of needless crap I carry streamside and went with a chest pack/convertible to a fanny pack for the hike in. I like it. The only downside is it doesn't have room for a water bottle.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Carrying a water bottle seems to be the number one issue with the packs.
I seem to have settled in on the waist and sling packs. I like the idea of being able to put them behind my back. Picking one though is kind of like going into Baskin Robbins for ice cream when you don't know you want...

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought a chest pack with a removable back pack, but I've only used it a couple of times. I used a vest for decades, so I'm still getting used to the whole concept of something else.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it won't fit in my wader pockets, it does not go along. I often wade within an inch of my water tops, and anything on the exterior is going to get soaked.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/09/14.

1Minute
IC B2

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The kid is using the Orvis sling pack and loves it. Vest can get too hot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've done the vest thing, pard was doing the chest pack from Fish Pond IIRC.

Side by side in the same steelhead streams - I think I'd run the pack the next go around.

Me

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by a12
The kid is using the Orvis sling pack and loves it. Vest can get too hot.

Their new safe passage sling pack seems to be the one I keep coming back to.
Doesn't seem to matter where you look either. They are $89 no matter who is selling them and there aren't any used ones on eBay, which is another indicator to me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I used vests for decades and I mean Since the 1960's- A few years back I started looking at what I was carrying in my vest, and looking at my fishing log to see what I was actually using during the year- I found that a good 80% of the stuff I was carrying I could leave in the car! So I carry what I need and no more for the time of year- Ie it makes no sense to carry a box of Ants beetles and hoppers in March- May, nor dose it make any sense to carry heavy weighted nymphs and streamers in the low water days of Aug and Sept. I been able to reduce the weight by a good 15 or so pounds. I am looking at a Sling Pack. Just have not decided what one I am going to go with.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gmsemel
I been able to reduce the weight by a good 15 or so pounds.

Holy crap. You guys are hard core. I don't think I own 15#'s of fly fishing gear.

I'm using the same vest I bought 30yrs ago. No issues or complaints.
But then again, I'm just a wannabe.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't think I have 15#s worth either. I like my Simms vest (love every Simms product I've ever owned - they get it right) but I just feel that the pack is a touch more versatile and offers greater freedom of movement. Some of my fishing is kinda rough and it always seems like I'm snagging my vest on something.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My current vest is a Simm's- and I weight it with all the crap I had stuffed in it. Gee's I got a whole small duffle bag that holds nothing but fly boxes- never mind about the fly tying stuff I have gotten over the years. Fly Fisherman tend to go thru phases. Now I just organize it all in plastic storage boxes that are labeled and they stay in the trunk of my car. It took me a long time that my back ache was not due to casting a lot, but the way the Vest rested on my shoulders and what I had in it. I did this a good 15 years ago. My boxes are labeled by the month- years of fishing journals was a big help in pairing down the load. As I have said before, you can make fly fishing as complicated or as simple as you like. Its been an obsession of mine since I saw Joe Brooks on the American Sportsman back in the Early 1960's. I keep tying flies and boxing them- its well what it is, being single and alone- the hunting seasons are short but trout fishing is year long!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I switched to a leather English game/fishing bag slung over the shoulder. It's compartmentalized so as to carry an assortment of fly boxes and other 'necessities'. I no longer wade in water up to my belly any more, so I don't fear it getting wet. (Heck, I try to avoid wading period anymore. Luckily I can get away with that on the PA limestoners.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I wound up going with the Orvis Safe Passage sling pack. Actually, I wound up with two - the original style and the new style. Going to play with both and see which one wins out.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Now that I have the original and the new, I think I am going to stick with the original style sling pack. The new one is too 'organized' for me.

Anyone interested in a deal on new, never used Orvis camo sling pack? Same deal I got - $80.00 delivered to your door. PM me if you are interested.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use both. Depending on what I'm fishing for and where I'm fishing. Both have their advantages. I like and use Fishpond vests and packs.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I use a filson vest..and really like it..

Last edited by rainierrifleco; 03/24/14.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,750 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,684
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.