-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was fairly excited when this thread started..Spring bear is my favorite time of the year...We get 2 months here in Oregon and I relish every second of it..

While sometimes entertaining,there has not been much in the way of reports and pictures, and that is to bad really..I enjoy looking at how its done in places I may never hunt or even see..

So I am going to put up some pics of springs past and hunting the central Oregon coast..There are not bears walking the beach,but we have some,and some good ones too..

I should be hunting today,but a front is moving in and I have found that rain and spring bear hunting seldom mix..In other words, forty bucks of wasted gas...LOL

I don't hunt for BIG bears,but do try and take only boars..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I got this one on video..

[Linked Image]

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Tell us about booners Boxer. Also- how you know a live bear is exactly 20 years ol and how you judge a bears skull dimensions before peeling off the hide and meat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Before spring bear became popular,I was able to get 2 tags..One regular and one leftover...Those were great times..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yes, I can throw a bear on him over the saddle...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Santiam; 04/26/14.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Awesome bears! I was just looking at some OR bear photos on the rokslide forum. Mist be some good hunting - thanks for sharing.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Santiam cool pictures. Looks like you have done well.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Maybe he'll regale us with pictures of all the other critters he's killed in "Paradise", not just the stuff he can get to in an Alaskan golf cart. You know, stuff like Mt. goats, sheep, moose, elk, caribou, or maybe even a brown colored bear or two.

Nah, that won't happen! Too busy re-re-arranging his knife collection, re-re-stacking bullets, re-re-hashing the same old pictures, going full re-re-retard with Krylon, and pounding on the keyboard every time someone throws a bouncy ball his way.

I know, I know....Greatwapoozy, vagina monologue, stupid do nothing pointy headed, burger flipping, couch riding, cartoon posting khhunt. Yaawwnn

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Santiam

[Linked Image]

That looks like an old warrior! Great pics!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Not tooting my own horn,but there are other people who know how to bear hunt..

wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now lets get out there and kill some bears,take pics or videos, and put up some reports...

Taking my daughter next weekend and hoping to get her one..

But then again,she is no stranger to killing bears either...She does need a big one though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX9hEg0VuHE

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Santiam awesome pictures. Really like the goat picture with the bear legs stickin out of the pack.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In keeping with the spirit of this forum, my new bear killer..Savage LRH in 7 mag...Haven't got to break it in yet,but 72 gr Retumbo and a 168 Berger classic is scary accurate..Of the 30 bears I seen last spring,there were none I wanted...Maybe this is the year I break it in..

[Linked Image]

And one more bear from last year...My daughters boyfriend and his best..

[Linked Image]

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Dadgum,those are some nice bears and pretty country Santiam.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Dog Hunter, salmon makes them fat but doesn't make their skulls big. Take a look at the books AZ and CA produce big skulled bears on a regular basis. So no comparing black bears from AK to bears in other places isn't dumb. It takes genetics, evironment, and food to produce a book bear.

I wasn't referring to skull size. I realize CA, PA and NC have produced huge skulled bruins. I read Field and Stream! I also know that other states produce huge bodied bears too. I was simply saying from my limited experience in SE Alaska, bears are stupidly abundant and average quite a bit bigger than most other places, namely the Rockies.

My comments were directed at Boxer's constant lines about anyone's else's bears barely having a hide big enough for a toilet seat or a pair of slippers.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boxer

(Addendum: yet another [bleep] Window Licker)

DogKchunter,

Shhhhhhhh...you's going to let the cat outta da' bag,when you untap the vast and little known "Alaskan Spring Salmon Runs",which attribute commensurately in non-lineal fashion to Bear skull sizing. Laffin'! You INCREDIBLY stupid [bleep].

Now which month was this "harrowing" Training?!? As per your uncanny amount of "experience",what do a "mature bear" typically score,as per your Imagination and it's Pretend? Please dabble "particulars" on how you's able to correlate them "findings",given "all" the Bears you've "seen" in your "Life". Laffin'!

PLEASE don't slight the humor of your Dumbfhukktitude,because you really are doing "great". You poor poor stupid [bleep],you'd not be able to discern a Rat from a [bleep] Cat.

[bleep] WOW +P+!

Laffin'!

I'll tell you this,if Alaska had Spring Salmon Runs...I'd [bleep] pull the pin here on Kansas ASAP and move there myself!!

Are we back to one post a day? Editing posts prior to mine to respond? BTW, every time you attempt to insult me my boner gets a little bigger.
Hint:

I believe it was June that I was in your neck of the woods. Maybe July...Don't totally remember as it was 10 years ago. The training wasn't "harrowing" either. It was actually kind of pathetic, but that's to be expected given I was in the Marines doing some training with the Coasties laugh.

You are living the life there for sure...I passed up a FS job in Craig a few years ago because I didn't want to sell my horses and I enjoy elk hunting too much. Not that I couldn't just come back home every year to do it. I hunt bears here too, but not very much. Never did get too into it. Haven't even attempted it yet this year. I really don't feel like skinning those stinky bastids out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Our bears have huge heads,but it is mostly meat with small skulls..

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Santiam do you like using your horses or goats better? I've got a couple mules but have always wondered how goats would be.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't have goats anymore,just the horse...I do make him fill in for the goats though...LOL

Goats are better for straight hunting though,as long as you don't mind all the walking..While there are plenty of places you can't take your horse,there is not many that the goat can't get into..Not much care either...Load them up and turn them loose..They stay with you all day and fend for themselves..Horses are a lot of maintianence as you well know..

Goats are more of a companion animal,kinda like a dog,but can do a lot of work for you...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is a video of the goats making a stalk on a spring bear with me...They had packed camp in and we were spending the night..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZoALLeEnC8

And a video of my horse in packgoat training on a bear hunt...LOL My wife had called worried about the horse....YIKES!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWId4GYH2k

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dog hunter,

I think Boxer gets a three post per day limit. He's already used two of those so far today so I think he's saving one for later in case the rest of the paper hat brigade rolls in. Hence the addendums. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Santiam

That brings a whole new meaning to "goat hunting". grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by moosemike
Dog hunter,

I think Boxer gets a three post per day limit. He's already used two of those so far today so I think he's saving one for later in case the rest of the paper hat brigade rolls in. Hence the addendums. smile

I think you just bumped [bleep] to the number two ball washer position; ooh-boy, is he gonna be pissed!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Scratch that, I forgot he actually moved to be closer to his mancrush, so he retains the title and you're still Miss Congeniality. Wonder how the move is working out? They probably have sleepovers and get up early to watch cartoons and eat Fruity-Loops together.

Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

447 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,893 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,569
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.