Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#8663638 03/09/14
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My wife and I will be vacationing in Tanzania in 2016. I am tentatively planning to climb Kili while there, but really depends on my health and time constraints. We will be there for at least 3 weeks so I'm hoping I can set aside 7 or 8 days for Kili.

What I would be interested in doing is hunting buffalo and non trophy elephant while there. I really have little interst in shooting plains game but want to see them. A 14 day safari shooting 2 or 3 buffs would be great I think.

Mostly, I want to see Africa from the ground and not the back of a truck. Sight seeing out of hunting camp appeals to me much more than a photo safari. I think it would be great for my wife as well.

What is the hunting climate like in Tanzania? I am expecting expensive. Anything special to hunting in Tanzania to know about?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Elephant is a 21 day safari.

Cape Buffalo - depending on concession is either a 7 or 10 day safari for 2 cape buffalo. And i think you have limited plains game for the 10 day safari package. I think the 7 day safari was cape buffalo only for the few safari package i saw.

a 14 day safari will get you 2 cape buffalo and some plains game and crocodile.

You need a 21 day for elephant, hippo, lion, leopard and some plains game. smile

Prices have gone up and for a 14 day safari price including your wife, this package will be in the neighborhood of $80K.

Each package 10 - 14 - 16 - 21 - 28 day safari will usually require a trophy fee deposit. The air charter will run you between $6K and $12K depending on what part of the country you elect to hunt. The groups i have checked with did not offer the 7 day safari.

Elephants are being poached at a rate of about 30 a day and hunting for them is getting difficult. However not impossible.

A 21 day safari package will be in the neighborhood of $120 to $150K

Looking at your elephant hunting request, in Tanzania there is only trophy elephant hunting.

Last edited by Bwana338; 03/09/14.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Whatever you do, prep for Kili and watch for high-altitude sickness. NOTHING to mess with and it can hit even those who are "fit".

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by agazain
Whatever you do, prep for Kili and watch for high-altitude sickness. NOTHING to mess with and it can hit even those who are "fit".

Yep. Know all about that. Spent several years in Colorado Springs working with some docs that specialized in high altitude medicine for the Army, plus I've spent some time at 14+. That's why I say it's tentative and not definite.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Bwana
I knew it would be expensive, but that's bordering on ridiculous. I'll still check with a few places there to see if we can do what I want, but may have to head south to Mozambique once our time in Tanzania is done. Was hoping to stay in Tanzania to make the gun import a bit simpler.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kili was the high point of my climbing, do it! You can hire porters at the Park Headquarters.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just went through the 3 outfitters brochures that i picked up at the DSC 2014 convention.

Prices have increased well beyond what i thought. I was looking for a 2016 safari package.

Leopard seamed to be in all the concession, few elephants, Good to excellent Cape Buffalo depending on the concession you were looking at. Lion was limited in all the concessions. As with all areas different concessions produced different combinations of Dangerous game and plains game.

An option would be to book and hunt two different concessions to obtain the trophy's you would be looking at going after.

I just received an offer for a 10 day safari and i asked for the bottom line (all tangible in the field cost) and with air charter i would have been looking at $50K.
That would have included trophy fees for:
2 cape buffalo
1 nasya Wildebeest
1 Selous zebra
1 wart hog
1 impala
1 Lichtenstein hartebeest

Then add your air from the states and if you take a guest you were looking at $60K

Then you would add about $3K for trophy shipment back to the states.

Like they say check around and be careful. check references and be safe.

The climb up the big hill, take a good look and look at your options. there are fast up and down. middle of the road up and down and then there is the slow walk up and back. And if you get sick, you had better have a contingency plan to get your self off the hill. As they will try to pick you up and the way down. That if you can still walk.

Last edited by Bwana338; 03/09/14.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
According to the OLD history Site, 22 aircraft carriers were used in WW11.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Wrong thread Sorry.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Tanzania is an expensive place to hunt for 1x1. Your license is based on a number of days and a specified allowed list of animals for those number of days. A 10 day hunt will allow 2 buffalo and a list of plains game appropriate to the area. A LOT of hunts require an air charter from 3500-5000. Till everything is paid for, daily fees, conservation fees, trophy fees, charter, 2 buffalo and a few pg on a 10 day ticket with an observer you're probably looking at 30K. With 2x1 you can split the license each taking a buff and splitting the allowed pg.

I hunted in the Selous in a tent camp and it was a very nice experience.

Stand up and be counted, join a shooting sports organization
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Bwana
I knew it would be expensive, but that's bordering on ridiculous. I'll still check with a few places there to see if we can do what I want, but may have to head south to Mozambique once our time in Tanzania is done. Was hoping to stay in Tanzania to make the gun import a bit simpler.

Mozambique can be a bit tough on your wife, so check that out well.

Also, your Tanzania 10 day menu says you're going to the Selous. There are a lot of tsetse flies there.

I'm not trying to throw a wet blanket on your plans, but these are things to consider, especially when dragging the "old ball and chain" along. grin

Tanzania is fabulous! If climbing Kili, make a stop in Arusha and have a meal at the Mezza Luna. They have local bands play in the courtyard dining area in the evenings. The food is great, too.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It can get hot and in some areas the tsetse flies are rough. Long sleeved shirts and pants help. Oil of Olay moisturizer/sun screen seemed to work better than insect repellant. In the higher elevations it can get pretty chilly too.

I'm pretty sure my wife would not have enjoyed sharing my stay in a dangerous game camp and she's a real trooper. If nothing else, the black cobras we saw at the entrance to camp on a couple occasions would be unsettling. It certainly had me watching my every step. shocked

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tanzania is fantastic! Fantastic scenery, wildlife, atmosphere, and fantastically expensive!

If you can scrape the cash together, do it! 7 day buff haunt will give that. I did that a few years ago in Rungwe. Lions roaring to beat the band at night, hyenas in the kitchen, see leopards in trees during the day, and buffalo aplenty.

Giraffes browsing in flat topped acacia trees, impala herds, dry sandy river channels, hippos wallowing in the mud. It is the stuff of Ruark and Hemingway. That is the Africa you've read about.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An excellent description of Tanzania!! +1

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by hatari
Tanzania is fantastic! Fantastic scenery, wildlife, atmosphere, and fantastically expensive!

If you can scrape the cash together, do it! 7 day buff haunt will give that. I did that a few years ago in Rungwe. Lions roaring to beat the band at night, hyenas in the kitchen, see leopards in trees during the day, and buffalo aplenty.

Giraffes browsing in flat topped acacia trees, impala herds, dry sandy river channels, hippos wallowing in the mud. It is the stuff of Ruark and Hemingway. That is the Africa you've read about.

That makes me want to go so bad. Why didn't I do better in school and make more money!!!

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
With the recent increases, I'm priced out of Tanz. unless all I wanted to hunt was buffalo. If you can afford it go!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RAC
Originally Posted by hatari

That makes me want to go so bad. Why didn't I do better in school and make more money!!!

Do like I did. Get a high limit CC and have a great trip! It's worth doing, however you have to get it done. grin

BTW, it's better than you imagine. shocked

Last edited by luv2safari; 03/29/14.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have never found any geography that made me feel as if I was really at HOME as did Tanzania. I planned for a month. A week of buff hunting - a week off wandering around and taking photographs - another week with the buff then another - you get the idea. I was BLESSED - two other groups cancelled and that left me in a bush camp with too many hunters. One of these chose to become my life-long friend and spent the entire month hunting and wandering the bush with me in tow. If you have the time and $$ this is a GREAT way to really see and feel Africa. From the camp on the edge of the foothills that surround Ngorongoro you can see Kili - Manyara and nothing but the elephant - giraffe - leopard - and baboon that walked right through our camp, but never even touched a tent - well the leopard did get to be a problem, but it was a wonderful problem.

Terry

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 64 invisible), 2,746 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.