Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I took my son out for his first Snow Goose hunt and, after shooting some geese, we had a NE Conservation Officer stop by to check on us. I've dealt with COs before and, while they're usually pretty aloof, I've never had a bad experience. But, much to my surprise, this CO (based out of McCook, NE) was great!

He did the usual job of observing what we were shooting and that we were recovering all our game as well as checking our shells to ensure we weren't using any lead. Our permits/HIP reg/stamp were in my truck so helped us carry our geese back and then took some pictures of us with my camera and even took one himself so he could post it to their Facebook page! I don't do Facebook but I know he posted it right away because we got a text with the pic last night (which my son thought was WAY cool cool ). The CO was a down-to-earth fellow hunter (and GSP owner wink ) out there doing a tough job VERY well and it was truly a pleasure to deal with him.

That being said, my son had an outstanding experience. We saw lots of geese and came home with a cool dozen - most of which were from a REALLY fun spot and stalk (crawling on our hands and knees). I couldn't have asked for a better day and to say my son is hooked would be an understatement!!

The migration's on....
[Linked Image]

Son with his first Snow goose.....
[Linked Image]

Results of our spot and stalk.....
[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
GB1

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Great. Just please make sure the following crawler has an unloaded gun until ready to bust them.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice. Most of the CO's in Nebraska are great!! Never had a bad run in with one!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Where at in Nebraska? I'm going out in SoDak here in a couple of weeks!

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Nebraska
I took my son out for his first Snow Goose hunt and, after shooting some geese, we had a NE Conservation Officer stop by to check on us. I've dealt with COs before and, while they're usually pretty aloof, I've never had a bad experience. But, much to my surprise, this CO (based out of McCook, NE) was great!

He did the usual job of observing what we were shooting and that we were recovering all our game as well as checking our shells to ensure we weren't using any lead. Our permits/HIP reg/stamp were in my truck so helped us carry our geese back and then took some pictures of us with my camera and even took one himself so he could post it to their Facebook page! I don't do Facebook but I know he posted it right away because we got a text with the pic last night (which my son thought was WAY cool cool ). The CO was a down-to-earth fellow hunter (and GSP owner wink ) out there doing a tough job VERY well and it was truly a pleasure to deal with him.

That being said, my son had an outstanding experience. We saw lots of geese and came home with a cool dozen - most of which were from a REALLY fun spot and stalk (crawling on our hands and knees). I couldn't have asked for a better day and to say my son is hooked would be an understatement!!

The migration's on....
[Linked Image]

Son with his first Snow goose.....
[Linked Image]

Results of our spot and stalk.....
[Linked Image]

Jeff where is the snow?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've yet to have a bad experience with a warden in Nebraska. Congrats on a great hunt with the son!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Congrats. That's a lot of geese. Nice looking boy. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All the South Dakota conservation officers I've dealt with were nice guys, considerate and a source of good info on good hunting and fishing spots. There was this one kinda hyper little guy who was a pain but not intentionally so. He moved to Minnesota. grin

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice story! Thanks for sharing it with us. I wish our encounters with CA's game officers were positive experiences.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Glad you had a good experience with the CO. In my life, I've never had a bad experience with any I've met. I've hunted many states in the past fifty years and my exchange with them has been really pleasant, read that, no richard noggins.

Now just what is you do with those sky carp you been shooting?

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Outstanding.

Have Dog

Will Travel

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Glad to hear. Looks like a fun day with your boy. The few I have ran into here in Washington state seemed to treat me as a criminal until I proved them wrong. The one experience I had fishing in Montana was awesome. He even told us where to go and put us on fish.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice story! I remember not too many years ago, your paragraph 3 was against a state law in Louisiana, but times and bird numbers have changed a lot. Even back in 1991 when I was on a research project near Churchill, Manitoba for Canada geese, the awesome numbers of snows were apparent.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Great report; good work w2 your son.

I enjoy hearing stories of good experiences w/ COs. That guy you talked with certainly gets it and I'd love to meet a guy like that. Thanks for reporting.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
We were south of York about halfway to KS.

By the time we called it good, it was around 70 degrees! With this warm weather and high wind, I wouldn't be surprised if they move through pretty quick. FWIW - this coming weekend might just be the peak of the migration.......

Almost forgot - the dogs had a great time too!!
[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is a great looking Chocolate lab. Just saying.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Great pics.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by 338Rem
That is a great looking Chocolate lab. Just saying.

wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Scheit, if it was that warm we would just shave the fugger.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Very cool experience. Only had on meeting with a game warden here in NE and it was a very good meeting.

Have also met a couple of them at the Hunter Ed classes and they were very helpful and they were really encouraging to the kids.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

724 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 3,077 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,922
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.