Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Stush Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Trying to get a feel for what I should be expecting at this point on a project that I sent him over 18 months ago now. I didn't expect it quickly, but I sent a quick note for an update at the 6 month and 1 year points. Nothing pushy - just "how is is coming along?"

Since the 1 yr anniversary, I've left a few messages and emails - probably 6 total emails and 1 voice message. Again, very low key - I know that people are busy and the more time they spend answering emails and phones calls the longer things take.

I was getting a lot of getting "next week" or next month answers for a while. Last email got no reply at all.

Anyone near him in Missouri? Did he go out of business or something happen to him? He's got a good rep and came pretty highly regarded. I know that things take time, but pushing two years for a package that he advertises seems long?

Trying to figure out if I am ever going to see this rifle again.....

Stush
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I guess that it doesn't mean anything, but never heard of him.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
http://www.leveractions.com/

A "9-11 address change only" ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Stush Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Craigster
http://www.leveractions.com/

A "9-11 address change only" ?

Yep. That has been their location for years. I don't think, like most guys in the firearms world, that website updates area a high priority for them.

I rarely send things out for any work and this guy had a good rep in the lever action community. I guess I will wait and see....

Stush
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I had a Marlin stainless laminated in 35 remington converted to 356 win a couple of years ago by him. I don't know what your having done but mine only took about 3 weeks out and back.
Take care, and best of luck.

P.S. was happy with the work also.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
IC B2

Stush Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I sent an 1895 Marlin for a conversion to a takedown 50 Alaskan. I opted for Nonneman over WW based upon a lot of reviews, word of mouth, etc.

It gets frustrating to keep getting put off or get no reply at all.

Stush
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Stush
I sent an 1895 Marlin for a conversion to a takedown 50 Alaskan. I opted for Nonneman over WW based upon a lot of reviews, word of mouth, etc.

It gets frustrating to keep getting put off or get no reply at all.

Not my Rifle and only my opinion but that is no way to do business no [bleep] way, I dohn't give a crap if you are a "EXPERT Gunsmith" or not. I had a 35 remington Marlin 336 that gave me fits by misfiring 2 out of 5 times everytime it went to the range, I was referred to him and he quoted me the turnaround would be 3 weeks or so. Granted that is a pittance to what he is doing to your rifle but nowhere justifiable in not communicating or giving you a approximate delivery date.

If it were me I am on the road today and going to get it back , no if's and's or but's.

Stush Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am not sure that I am to the point of making the 12 hour drive just yet, but I agree.

I understand getting behind. I think that everyone in the industry is busier than ever these days. I sent two, very politely worded emails this week, and have had no reply. I am not going to swamp the guy with emails. If one or two doesn't generate a response, more won't have much effect either. I also don't figure that getting angry in the emails are going to have much positive impact either. I have a fair amount tied up in this. I want it done, but I also don't want a guy that is PO'd at me finishing the project. lol

I guess I am not even that mad about it. It certainly isn't a gun that I need at any point. We haven't had a grizzly attack in PA in some time. This is more of a "that would be kinda cool to have" project than anything. smile

I just get frustrated when there have been a couple of vague dates promised and missed, followed by no communication.

Stush
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Stush
I am not sure that I am to the point of making the 12 hour drive just yet, but I agree.

I understand getting behind. I think that everyone in the industry is busier than ever these days. I sent two, very politely worded emails this week, and have had no reply. I am not going to swamp the guy with emails. If one or two doesn't generate a response, more won't have much effect either. I also don't figure that getting angry in the emails are going to have much positive impact either. I have a fair amount tied up in this. I want it done, but I also don't want a guy that is PO'd at me finishing the project. lol

I guess I am not even that mad about it. It certainly isn't a gun that I need at any point. We haven't had a grizzly attack in PA in some time. This is more of a "that would be kinda cool to have" project than anything. smile

I just get frustrated when there have been a couple of vague dates promised and missed, followed by no communication.

I completely agree with you.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Two years is unaccepatable , if this is your trade how disingenuos is it to accept work that might not be done in a reasonable amount of time. Ok lets define reasonable, we are not building an airplane,custom car, motorcycle or something that is complex. I would say in the case of an action modification and rebarrell( a skill he advertizes on his website) at the most 6 months to a year. If you can't build it in that time you are not very good at your trade . End of Story

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Dropped off barreled action with a recommended smith couple years ago and the scenario pretty much mirrored yours. at 18 months I took a drive with the wife and dropped in on him. left a bit later with my barreled action and a handshake. wasn't angry with him but happy with my choice. Sent the project to jkobe and the work was done in less than a week. Not so funny side note McMillan has had said project for 7 months.

Last edited by sidepass; 03/14/14.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Not my Rifle and only my opinion but that is no way to do business no [bleep] way, I dohn't give a crap if you are a "EXPERT Gunsmith" or not.
+1, many have more patience than myself. It becomes the principal over the money for me. My e-mail would "get f*cked and send my sh*t back".....and I'm not kidding.

Some people should be home baking cup cakes vs in business for themselves.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I think a lot of us have the same mindset. Give me a good product and deliver it when you said you would deliver it.

I don't think a lot of us mind waiting if we are told up front that we will wait for 18-24 months, or what ever time period it is taking.

What most of us don't like is being bullshitted and then put off when we call to inquire on a job that was promised to deliver 6 months or a year ago.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
been there, had a trigger(timmey trigger) job done, the smith messed up the bolt stop, took it back started getting the run around, "oh, I am going to make the part", I dropped in, a got it back and then I find out "timmey triggers are warranted for life

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Did he originally provide you and estimated delivery time?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've dealt with him and his work was excellent, but he did take over a year. That's no longer acceptable to me and now I make sure I query those performing work for me.

He put this 358 Winchester barreled action together along with the rib and front sight on a #3 receiver. Woodwork was done elsewhere.

[Linked Image]

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yes, every smith occasionally has a brain fart. Even Cliff LaBounty.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Stush Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EdM
Did he originally provide you and estimated delivery time?

6 to 8 months. I honestly did not expect it to get done in that amount of time. Also did not expect 3X that though.

Stush
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Sorry for the rebirth of an old post,BUT
I am in the same boat if not worse. I'm getting the ole "one more little thing then I'm onto Yours"
When I first contacted him he won my business by telling me how he hated the fact that some smiths would not give a completion date and how I could take his to the bank. Well his was a definite early spring, now mid july and don't even want to return emails. Oh ya where the worse part comes in is he's paid in full and I'm an international customer. Getting discouraged cause even if I got my $ back I really don't want to start at ground zero again. Hey at my age 18 months is 18 months

"Words may show a man's wit, but actions his meaning"
B. Franklin
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry for your grief. Circumstances like these allow anxiety to over-shadow anticipation. Having had an empathetic "been there done that", tell him to pack it up and ship it home. Be sure to let him know Yahoo, Google, and 24-Hour Campfire reviews about his website and on his performance will be fully documented and detailed.

Best of luck.

frown
DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 64 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,761
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.