Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Nice fish, I wish you gentlemen would do us a favor, and wear a PFD. Then you can post more pictures next year.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is that 15# denoting 15 pounds? Seems a bit light for 42. (Not saying it isn't 42, just surprised by the weight, although it does look a bit thin compared to the second one.) What always impresses me with good-sized northerns is how thick they are through the "shoulders".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah that is 15 pounds, caught soon after ice out. We have found if we catch the same fish in late summer they will weigh out#20 or so�that one is thin�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Same pard a few years later with another skinny one�

That one only went 12 pounds, but was shy of the 42 inch mark by a couple inches...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Going by pounds is "fishy" to me. One spring I caught a 24 incher with a tail sticking out of its mouth. Good eating size and on cleaning I found a partially digested 12 inch northern. So for weight would it be with or without dinner? The amazing thing to me was it would still strike a spoon.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Caught three or four like that. We hardly ever weigh them, especially the big ones because we want them swimming away healthily as quickly as possible.Hardly ever eat the things, just love catching them�never eat a big one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most lakes around here have plenty in the worth-the-trouble to 24 inch or so range so it's common to keep them (was caught in Pickerel Lake, oddly enough smile ) Bigger are easier to fillet and taste just fine, nice and mild. Some people here keep them all but I like to hope for a repeat performance if it's bigger than common. And we don't like to keep more than a meal or two on hand so after that it's release. A guy needs an excuse go go fishing again next week, no? grin

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm not much of a fish eater anyway, and our favorite lake for pike is in Alberta, and is catch and release only. The fishing is phenomenal so I can't argue the fine points of the strategy.By provincial law its all single barbless hook and we use ultra light tackle to make it even more fun. Headed back up in August. Cant wait!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't complain about the hammer handles. They eat just as well as walleye. Options: fillet the y bones out; run them through a grinder and mix with favorite spices and make fish patties (awsome good); pickle them (dissolves the fork bones) or smoke them (you don't mind working around the fork bones to get the meat!)

I have embarrassing pictures from the day before catch and release was even mentioned. We used to fish NW Ontario after ice out for big pike on the surface in shallow water. In canoes. . They could not go down, so they went out and up! And towed you around a bit. Good clean fun.

Once caught a mouse in our food pack. Jury quickly sentenced it to death. I took a treble hook and put a rubber band around the mouse and the hook. We had heard a large pike in an eddy in the river above our campsite, but none of us could catch it. I got into a canoe and took the mouse to the opposite side of the river from camp, and half-hitched it to a bush. Paddled back to camp letting line out. Got out and pulled the mouse into the current. The submarine came up and hit the mouse - fish came completely out of the water, and the mouse was 5 feet in the air. Mouse did not move when he hit the water again. . I tightened the line and twitched him. The fight was on. After running up and down the river bank, i landed and release a 25# brute. Seems if pike hit something and miss, they don't hit again unless it moves slightly. Although I shouldn't say that - it may be that they would eat it anyway, but I get impatient waiting for them to come back!

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Sounds like Great Whites after seals.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm excited to get out and fish for pike! There are 3 or 4 great pike lakes within 40 miles of here. I haven't quite figured them out though. I've thrown everything at them and have a follow or slight tap every once in a while but can't figure out what they will really go after. I've used inline spinners, regular spinners, big rapalas, small rapalas, spoons in all shapes/size/color, etc. I'm not giving up though. I caught a bunch of hammer handles on a camping trip during high school but can't remember what part of summer it was. I'm determined to catch some this summer. I'm tired of catching little trout!

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The best pike fishing I've experienced was free-lance fly-in fishing in my home province of Saskatchewan. We'd get there in the spring just after ice-out and troll through muskeg bays, usually with #2 Len Thompson five of diamonds spoons. You'd be hard pressed to get your partner to glance to the other side of the boat over a 15 pounder. My best was 31.5 pounds.

The shallow water fish were a lot of fun, taking long runs til you can see the bottom of a bait caster.Then you either stop them and work them back or just drive the boat over and get some line back on your reel. Although I have used lighter walleye grade tackle successfully it lead to too many fish being played past exhaustion. When you kill one of those big girls you will feel like you ran over a deer.

The biggest pike tended to come in like they were a dead log until they see the boat. Occasionally you could net them at that point if you were quick about it, but you're unlikely to do that more than once. More normally the fish would spook and head for the horizon and it would be zinnnnnnnnnng, pause, zinnnnng pause, zing "start the boat". The little guys like 10 and 15s are actually more fun in some ways but they just don't have the broad backed, draft horse style straight line pulling power.

Did I mention I like pike? my friends were mostly there for the lakers.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have had beau coup fun catching pike in your province! A couple unnamed lakes and a couple which shall remain nameless. wink

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Who needs to name them all, there's nobody there to say the name to anyway. ;)We figured out one time that if a fellow was to fish a different lake everyday he would be done in 274 years give or take a few. Or, if you prefer open water fishing make it two per day. Some other provinces have a similar amount.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by ranger1
Ha! That was a great video!!

Ha! Yup. smile Awesome video, Waterrat!

When fishing for Northerns here in the fall, we will often times be casting to sunken brush in sloughs/creeks. Many times in mid retrieve, when I discover my line is draped over a submerged limb/brush, I let the lure/spoon completely stop and sit still, then dangle/vertical jig it a bit before trying to dislodge it. This has resulted in convincing pike (often good ones) to strike often enough that I have adopted it as SOP. I assume they are fish that were following it and are thus convinced the prey is expiring? It is a hard motion to replicate without being imminently 'stuck' first...and it does require looong leaders, a little bit of faith and being able to let lost gear run off your back...but it works...and a monster pike is a great way to get your lure unstuck.

Perhaps our greatest conglomeration of big fish success on one trip using this method...and we probably only lost 20 bucks in Krocodile spoons to earn this pic... shocked
[Linked Image]

And disregard that guy in the blue vest - here's my fish eating his for not producing a specimen worthy of our trophy shot smile
[Linked Image]

Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
454 members (160user, 1Longbow, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 49 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 950 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.