Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
Easy guys.
I spent more than a little time talking to smiths and checking their references (a good smith should never balk at offering up references if he's worth his salt) rather than trustng pictures on a web site. You likely shot (and lost) at Perry to fellas who's bullseye guns were built by Blauvelt. He is just spending his time building guns rather than taking pics of them and marketing himself. He also doesn't charge three grand for a 1911. I think he should for what he can make them do.
Thanks for the advice to those who PM'd me their recommendations; and especially to the bullseye shooter who tipped me off about JB.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alderman, for our benefit would you share some of his 1911 expertise, pricing, test targets, pics etc,....

Sub 2 inch 50 yard guns are not that difficult to build without buying every part in the book by someone who really knows his craft.

Genuinely interested as I've dealt with 2 ex cop "armorers" that could sell snow to an Eskimo who seemed to be an answer to my prayers in the accuracy and money department that delivered junk.

Don't mean to sound morbid but one gun routinely failed to fire and if I were to choose to leave this world preamaturely and was given the choice of exit plans ie: blowing my brains out or jumping off a bridge the bridge would have been the best choice.

Heard every excuse in the book and he never did make it right.

Hope to hear more about your decision, Denny.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've been going to Perry off and on for the last 30 years and never heard of him. Bullseye gunsmiths are a small community. It's your gun, though. Best of luck.
Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RKG, you have a PM.

Denny.

A
OP Offline
A
Give him a call.
He's a great guy to talk to and I'm sure would take the time to answer all of your questions better than I could.
Ed

IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Why do people continually come on forums, tell people they are newbies and then constantly disregard the best advice in the world and do it their own way? Why do they even ask and waste peoples' time in the first place?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Alderman
Give him a call.
He's a great guy to talk to and I'm sure would take the time to answer all of your questions better than I could.
Ed

I'm sure he's right up there with Jesus and Santa Claus.

Please keep us posted on your build and overall impression of the finished product.

Target pics are mandatory wink

Peace, Denny.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The more people that don't listen to advice, those are the ones that get guns done often, that I never have to worry about them beating me.

OTOH those service rifle shooters that use my gunsmith... those I have to worry about...

Works out well often, if folks don't get the very best they were after for me anyway.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I was kind of lucky, because I started shooting for the Army Marksmanship Unit, where all my guns were built for free by Army guys like Larry Leutenegger or Jack Maple (I was issued one of the last ones he built before retiring). Later on, I had M9s built by Tony Kidd and Justin McMillan. I know what a good gun looks like and how it shoots. I also know who builds civilian guns, who the pretenders are and who did (and does) nice work. Like I mentioned in a previous post, the bullseye gunsmithing community is small; good guns make their builders justly famous. Word travels fast. Lots of gunsmiths for the 1911 are two steps above a parts-changer; hitting an IDPA target at 10 feet doesn't properly showcase your accuracy work. Too bad the OP didn't want to listen; maybe his 'Smith builds awesome guns in obscurity. He must be; after all, he built the ones the champs are using that we THOUGHT were built by the the great 'smiths. Building a good gun is expensive. I would have played the odds, found someone out there that knew what he was doing (lots of GOOD advice was given here) and had a great gun built. And it wouldn't have been any more expensive than a 2nd-rate pistol. Too easy. Hope I wasn't too blunt.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 01/06/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495
Just reading through the links...I'd trust the MCP one a LOT more than the chambers unless you just like glint and glamor and high price tags but I could be wrong.

One talks about wad guns, the other has no direct competition gun posted to boot.

I'd go with Joe were it me. I'm not an expert but he's one hell of a nice guy when I've talked with him.

His pistols have won over 70 matches and championships at Perry alone and I read somewhere in 2012 his guns took 26 matches or championships and set 2 National records.

Joe can build a good 1911 for bullseye work.

Me

IC B3

A
OP Offline
A
I couldn't be more pleased with Blauvelt's work guys.
I won't put anyone on the spot here since there has been so much 'passion' in your responses but thank you very much to the shooter from this forum who originally recommended that I look in to him.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Let us know how good it shoots!

Always room for any of us to be wrong in the end!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW a gun in 2 months basically.. WOW.

Id be looking for a gun a year ahead of time, and be totally amazed any smith could do a good one in less than 6 months!

Jeff

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Too bad I didn't see this earlier. I'm not surprised that you liked John Blauvelt's work. He does great work at a fair price and is as honest as they come. He's done nothing but first class work for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven't read a range report or seen any targets posted but cold weather has been upon us. Mandatory when spring arrives.

OP has been strangely silent.

Denny.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Haven't read a range report or seen any targets posted but cold weather has been upon us. Mandatory when spring arrives.

Denny.

Roger that. Love to see some 10-shot machine rest groups at 50 yds.
Bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Denny.

Maybe he's out shooting??

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Could be.. but if I'd gone through all this... and was super happy I'd sure be coming back with some proof and to make me and others eat crow. Which I'd be happy to do. No big deal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure was hoping the OP would share with us good or bad how his project turned out.

Hope all is well is his corner.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s&contain=alderman&sendit=Search

Denny.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
718 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,694 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.