Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Considering picking up a new 45-70 lever action and the Marlins sure are priced good. The basic 1895 goes for as low as $529 on Gunbrokers.

How do these new Marlins perform since Remington took them over? I am guessing they are still made on the same old equipment that Marlin used to use.
Do they seem like a good buy for the money?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
From what I'm reading, few people like the new "Remlins" as they're called. Lots of quality control problems, including something called a droopy barrel. It seems that the receiver was not threaded properly on many guns and the barrels point downward with the result that there isn't enough correction in the sights to hit point of aim. Remington has since addressed the issue but I'm sure that many such defective guns remain in user hands.

There's much more information over at the Marlin forum.

The power to legislate is the power to destroy
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks, I did learn the quality was improving but everyone said make sure you inspect them before buying. So no online purchases.
Plenty of happy owners on the Marlin forums. Still looking for one but might end up with a Henry simply because I never owned a Henry before.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Checked out a SS Guide gun a few weeks back and the rear sight was machined 5 degrees or so off to the right. Couldn't get a correct sight picture and no chance of adding a XS scout rail.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Find one made before the company sold. Within a month of Rem taking over, our local dealer refused to handle a Marlin product. The return rate was killing him.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/26/14.

1Minute
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Been doing my research and seems quality has improved based on the number of new happy owners on the Marlin forum. But the best advice is to inspect before buying.
I did pick up a Henry 45-70 but it has not arrived yet. Anxious to give it a work out. With luck I'll find a suitable Marlin next week.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm an old guy with a damned long memory. Screw me once, your fault; screw me twice, my fault. I try not to give second chances. Companies adopt business models and practices for a reason, with eyes open. Like the junk that US car manufacturers put out a few decades again, then start bleating stuff like "Quality is Job One". We've seen the light and turned over a new leaf. Yeah, right. They only changed because imports ate their lunch.

Remington/Marlin screwed the pooch, IMO. I'm an old guy not likely to buy (many) new guns. It's enough of a challenge feeding the ones I have and keeping them running.

All that said, I'm glad some are finding the newer Marlins decent.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
put another hundred or so into it and get a late 90's, early 2000's 1895G. the new ones look cheap. crappy matte finish, cheesy laminate stocks and ugly checkering. and thats IF they work good.

i would not buy a new one as long as i could get a decent older one. and i own a lot of marlins from 50's to the late 2000's.

My diploma is a DD214
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Considering picking up a new 45-70 lever action and the Marlins sure are priced good. The basic 1895 goes for as low as $529 on Gunbrokers.

How do these new Marlins perform since Remington took them over? I am guessing they are still made on the same old equipment that Marlin used to use.
Do they seem like a good buy for the money?

Friends don't let friends "buy" Remlins....Remington made Marlins. There is enough JM made Marlins out there you don't have to consider a Remlim.

Doc

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Not buying one is the best option, but if you do then only buy one that you can inspect in person.

Canted front sights, rear sight milled off of vertical, rough bolt manipulation and crappy fitted stocks are just a few of the potential issues that you'll find on the Remlin's.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I picked up 6 different new 1895's during my travels last week. None of them had canted sights and all had reasonably smooth actions. But the fit of wood to metal was absolutely terrible. We are talking about 1/16th of an inch gap (or larger) where the stock meets the side of the receiver.
I really wanted to buy one of these but will pass until Remington takes their head out of their ass and comes up with better QC.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The May 2014 issue of Rifle magazine has an excellent article by Brian Pearce on the problems with Marlin's purchase by Remington. He does not pull any punches. He goes into a fair amount of details on what the problems were/are.

I don't think I've ever read an article about a gun manufacturer that was so critical of a company.

Steve

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
so if my local shop has a 44 magnum for 500 how do I tell if there are problems with it. I know next to nothing about lever guns.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I picked up 6 different new 1895's during my travels last week. None of them had canted sights and all had reasonably smooth actions. But the fit of wood to metal was absolutely terrible. We are talking about 1/16th of an inch gap (or larger) where the stock meets the side of the receiver.
I really wanted to buy one of these but will pass until Remington takes their head out of their ass and comes up with better QC.

1/16" gap- they are getting better!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I handled 14 different Remlin guide guns in September, when I was looking for a stainless guide gun. Horrible wood to metal finish, canted sights, actions that felt like they were full of sand. But.....#15 was nice, everything as it should be, and shoots great.They're getting better, but I wouldnt buy one without being able to inspect it. There's still a good bit of old stock out there (2010-2013) Here it is with my chopped JM 1895S...
[Linked Image]

Alrighty then!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I handled a Remlin 336 matte finish laminate stock 30-30 priced new at $399 yesterday. Don't care much for the matte but could make due. Generally like laminates, at least better than plastic or light colored wood, but the action was too rough. Not a bit of slickness to it... Read somewhere they're shutting down the Marlin plant? It's truly a shameful time for the Big green R.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (222Sako, 257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 160user, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,519
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.