Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looking for some info. I picked this knife up in an internet trade (probably the first or second one I ever did) around 12-15 years ago.

It is 8 inches overall with a 3 1/2-inch blade. The knife has never been sharpened and it came wrapped in tissue paper with no sheath. Googling Barnes Blades, West Virginia, shows me a lot of knives that look nothing like this one, but one of the short biographies mentioned that he started making knives right out of high school. I assume that this is an early product but would like some more information.

The flash on the camera doesn't make for a very good photo at night, but I will try to get one or two more tomorrow in natural light. I would appreciate any info you can give me.

Thanks!

[Linked Image]

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can't help you but to say that's a good looking knife.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Better photos--thanks for any help that you can provide.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ben

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Levine's Guide IV says
Van Barnett , New Haven WV , worked 1981 to present
mark : Barnett Blades

Pretty sure that's what you got & yes it is pretty nice,too

There is a folder by the same maker,I think,on this site :

http://www.jaysknives.com/realcustomknives.htm

You may have a pricy collectable knife there

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, Vince. That may get me started off in the right direction with my research.

Ben

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mudhen
Thanks, Vince. That may get me started off in the right direction with my research.

Any time , if & when I can help , it's my pleasure . -Vince

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, Mr. Barnett was finally able to open the photos that I sent him and sent me a reply:

The knife is a satin finished 440-c blade, in a clip point design, hunting knife...it's hard to remember what the wood is by looking...I'm thinking it's Cocobolo but it's a straight grain..but does have the color...it could be Brazilian rose wood.
The knife carries the early logo, but being satin finish with stainless guard it was probably made pre 1992, as far as exact time I do not know, I've not made a hunting style knife since 95.
Most pieces from the early to late 80s were mirror polished...so somewhere between about 88 to 92.
I wish I could help more but made so many hunting knives back then, but the thing and the stainless guard were the later style...brushed finish was designed for use..there were many in 90 and 91 that had laminated wood handles...so this was probably closer to 88 or 89 or so unless someone requested this specific handle material...I went to the more water proof materials on most all statin brush finished pieces then because they were used so much...I also did many hand sanded finishes but they had natural materials...so those dates are my best guess between 88 and 90... Could have been up to 92 but I think it's a bit before that...

Van Barnett

Sounds like it's not a collector peice, but I am still debating whether to throw it in the daypack for this year's elk hunt or just put it back in the gun safe to give to one of the grandsons someday.

Ben

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sorry to bring up an old post but I've got two of his knives and a buddy has one. Good steel on both the weak parts were the handles. All three hold an edge very well. All three made in the late 80' or early 90's. One of mine had the handle replaced (by him) once, the other is cracked and it runs in my mind that my buddy had him replace the handle on his, but I may be mistaken about that.

Do you still have his contact info. I think he has moved since back then.

Thanks.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (30Gibbs, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 35 invisible), 2,805 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,631
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.