Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I watched a buddy one time empty his gun at a straightaway bird out across a clearing- a rare occasion on several levels. He ran after it frantically re-loading as he loped across the clearing. Darned if he didn't get another shot and killed it. (We figured the bird lit onto a tree branch on the other side and took off again when he got close. But still, the way it played out it looked for all the world like he chased that bird down!)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by battue
It wasn't until too late that I noticed I was trying to shoot a bic lighter. smile

Okay That brings back memories right there! Wasn't using a double that day but a Beretta 391 and by accident loaded a Bic lighter in the tube. Took me a couple minutes to figure out what had happened, why didn't my gun go bang? Luckily I was smart enough to check the bore. That Beretta loaded that Bic but pushed it down to the forcing cone. LOL Could have been exciting if I just thought it was a miss feed. Yeah buddy!

I started off my hunting in Maine with a 870 12 gauge chasing snowshoe hares, Ruff's and woodcock. Killed a lot of game with that gun. Then my baseball coach offered me a opportunity to use his Franchi O/U one afternoon. I was converted. We went though some nice cover and a pair of ruff's busted in front of red dog and I instinctively swung on the one to the left, BANG, down went that one and immediately swung on the bird going right, BANG, that one went down. At the time I was 16 or 17 years old. By the time I was 24 I had owned a Holland & Holland O/U, Browning BSS, & Beretta 626. After that a Vernadelli, Browning Citori's, Winchester 21's and a handful of Beretta O/U's & SS.

Today I use O/U for targets and SS for hunting birds. With a short time using that Beretta 391. A fellow bird hunter convinced me that opening the action after shots I would miss more birds than having a pump or auto. Well I just shot more shells with less birds to show for it so I went back to my beloved doubles.

Chokes, Loads, & barrel length has changed since moving to the west. But when I was hunting tight cover back east I used a 12 with Skeet Chokes, 7-1/2 1-1/8 oz hand loads, and 26" tubes. Never anything tighter the I/C.

Out here I use a 12 gauge 28" tubed Centaure Liege Royal Crown Grade made in Belgium, Skeet 1 & Skeet 2 custom cut fixed chokes & forcing cones. Loads are 7-1/2 1 ounce to 5's tin plated 1 ounce depending on what I'm hunting. And most times carry both loads. In the same day I can get into, Pheasant, Cali Quail, Hun Partridge, & Chukkar. Hit the mountains and you'll find Ruff's, Blue Grouse & Spruce Grouse.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Grew up in PA, had property in WV, but don't believe I have ever shot at a grouse, though I'd like to kill a few just for the near heart attacks they've given me flushing underfoot. I would use my franchi 48 20 ga. if given the opportunity, but thinking back on every flush I've ever seen, not sure what my chances w0uld be of success, those birds don't play fair.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RufusG
but thinking back on every flush I've ever seen, not sure what my chances w0uld be of success, those birds don't play fair.

That's the fun of grouse hunting! A good dog will up your chances 100 fold not to mention you get to hunt over a dog.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by passport
Originally Posted by RufusG
but thinking back on every flush I've ever seen, not sure what my chances w0uld be of success, those birds don't play fair.

That's the fun of grouse hunting! A good dog will up your chances 100 fold not to mention you get to hunt over a dog.

Words of wisdom right there.

IC B2

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Scored a nice 26" IC barrel for my beloved old 870. The new SxS or Auto will have to wait. Rather save up for a quality arm...oh and my daughters dentist bills smile

Cant wait for October. Guess I have to dust off the gobbler getter soon.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent, when I was a kid, I order a new shotgun with a 28" mod. barrel.. When it arrived it was a 26 inch IC.. I was really up set til small game opened.. It was deadly.. You're set now. Enjoy..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good call.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I think it would be tough to beat a Montefeltro 20 ga for quick shots on rabbit and grouse.

I agree!

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That said, my favorite is my Rem 870 Express 20ga. I've shot carried that thing to hell and back, and it shows. But it works EVERY single time.

I've now been carrying it for turkeys since the gun is nice and light, and I'm so used to it.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 2,923 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.