Shot my Rowland again this morning, with hand loads this time. I had been shooting Georgia Arms ammo with a 230 XTP they claim 1300 fps for, and two Buffalo Bore loads - a 255gr hard cast at 1300 fps, and a 185gr JHP at 1500 fps. The Rowland, even with the comp, feels like a lot more gun than my 10mm Glock (G20). I find the 10mm recoil to be fairly mild, barely over a normal .45ACP load. I have also had a ka-boom in my Glock, although I hope those days are behind me.

Today I was shooting 200gr XTP's over Power Pistol, beginning with the recommended "start" load and easing upwards a bit, but stopping well short of a max load. I was getting from 1290 to 1340 fps, and the recoil is definitely lower than my .44 mag Ruger SBH with 240gr factory loads, but quite a bit more than the 10mm. After I am through with sight-in and load development, it will be a hog hunting pistol. I have killed small hogs with my ,45ACP easily, and expect the 10mm to do well for this purpose on larger hogs - but I agree that the Rowland is in a different class.

I don't try to max out any loads, and will especially not do this with the Rowland. A 10mm can be pretty "hot", but the Rowland is even more so. My platform for the Rowland is a Springfield Mil Spec - recommended by Clark - and I had Clark fit the barrel to my slide. With the comp it is LOUD, but recoil is not really all that bad. I am less wary of it than I am the 10mm in the Glock. The 10mm is undoubtedly a better all-around cartridge, the Rowland makes a 1911 a specialized pistol for those who need - or want - the power. .45 Super is obviously a fine round, also, and I would choose it before trying to hotrod my .45ACP loads. I am a big .45ACP fan, but it is not an ultimate hunting round.