Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anybody running a real deal wood fired pizza oven (wfo)? I did a search of the forum and didn't come up with any posts on wfo's.

[Linked Image]

I've wanted one for a long time and should be able to break ground on one next year as part of an outdoor kitchen area, wfo, bbq, prep area, etc., I'm leaning towards a 42" dia dome oven and am debating getting a kit with a cast dome vs. building one out of fire bricks. I'm trying to balance out the labor savings of a cast dome vs. the added cost vs. being able to get it built in one summer vs. dragging the project over two summers.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Post pics when you build one. We looked into buying a Tulikivi from Treeforms in Anchorage but they are pretty expensive. Still might get one someday.

[Linked Image]

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I thought about going the indoor route, but I think they run around $10k and are fairly small ovens. What I'm envisioning is having a patio with an outdoor covered cooking area and a large enough pizza oven to cook 3 pizzas at a time for entertaining and then cook a weeks worth of bread afterwords. I figure for $10k in materials I should be able to build something like this.

[Linked Image]

But then it's the tradeoff, I'll definately use the indoor oven more due to convenience, but would much rather have the outdoor setup for nice days and having more room for guests to spread out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am officially green with envy seeing that. I know it isn't yours but wow!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
There are some amazing outdoor kitchens out there.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I can't really figure exactly how I'm going to lay it out until we get the house finished so that the outside patio/kitchen compliments the house and takes advantage of the view. I'll probably need the help of an architect to make the most of it. I can tell what I like, what I don't like, and build from plans. But coming up with something that compliments the house and yard is beyond my expertise.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know and our weather/environment/altitude is hell on them. I would love one.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm not so concerned with the pizza oven as it will be covered, but they can suffer a bit more from thermal shock in the winter months. I'm more concerned with getting the foundation right so it doesn't get jacked around with frost heaves.

I could do something like this off the deck but the deck would need to be at least double that size.

[Linked Image]

The upside is we'd have a better view from an elevated deck, but the downside is a large elevated deck to support that weight would be crazy expensive, and it wouldn't have overflow onto the lawn. If I have a smaller deck with stairs down to the outside kitchen it can nicely flow into the lawn area so we have the option of a more intimate setting for a small party, or open it up to the lawn for a large party.

I still have some alders to clear and may end up dropping some of the birch trees to get the full view.

[Linked Image]

With an elevated deck the rooflines of those houses should be right about level with the waterline and hence you'd have a good view of the mountains in the distance. With the patio at ground level you wouldn't have as spectacular of a view, but the cooking area could be positioned to essentially take them out of your field of view.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hydroaxe!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I don't have that many alders left!

I've actually enjoyed taking advantage of the mild weather and spending time with my boys cutting and clearing the lot with chainsaws on the weekends.

Lifetime supply of alder chips for the smoker!

[Linked Image]

Should be able to fire a pizza or two.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now there is the upside! grin

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Technically I do, its called a Big Green Egg

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, technically no, a big green egg is not a wood fired pizza oven.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
But I bet it yields the same effect. The only down side would be only cooking one pizza at a time.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have done two at a time successfully with the adjustable rig in my egg.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I thought about going the indoor route, but I think they run around $10k and are fairly small ovens. What I'm envisioning is having a patio with an outdoor covered cooking area and a large enough pizza oven to cook 3 pizzas at a time for entertaining and then cook a weeks worth of bread afterwords. I figure for $10k in materials I should be able to build something like this.

[Linked Image]

But then it's the tradeoff, I'll definately use the indoor oven more due to convenience, but would much rather have the outdoor setup for nice days and having more room for guests to spread out.

Actually, I think the cheapest one I saw was arounf $17k and that was before installation. The one I wanted, like the above unit, was closer to $25k and after install, would have been closer to $35-$40k. I don't need a wood fired pizza oven that badly.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure to post pics, i'm always looking for new ideas for additions to my back deck.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
BGE pizza is great, don't get me wrong. The thing that sucks is the top doesn't get crispy like a true pizza oven. I stick my pizzas under the broiler to crisp them better.
[Linked Image]

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

[Linked Image]

Actually, I think the cheapest one I saw was arounf $17k and that was before installation. The one I wanted, like the above unit, was closer to $25k and after install, would have been closer to $35-$40k. I don't need a wood fired pizza oven that badly.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure to post pics, i'm always looking for new ideas for additions to my back deck.

Wow, that's crazy money for the inside oven! You can get a complete oven from Bravo Forno that you could put on your deck for ~$4k shipped http://www.fornobravo.com/products/

If you get an oven kit from Bravo Forno, the 44" oven shipped will be $4500, and that's a big oven. If you build it yourself from fire bricks you're looking at about $1500 in materials, plus a tile saw to cut them and a bunch of labor. I'd been debating the kit to save labor, until I got the shipping cost shocked For what I'd save building with bricks I can get a Komodo or Egg and a several year supply of beer to keep me fueled while building the brick pizza oven.

While I have no doubt you can cook a great pizza in an egg or similar grills with a pizza stone, what they don't have is a large thermal mass to keep that high temperature above and below the pizza that cooks it so quickly. I can see us entertaining a few times a year when we'd want to bang out 50 or more individual sized pizzas and an egg isn't going cut it for that task.

I think this is more the setup I'm after

[Linked Image]

But its still cart before the horse as we still haven't chosen a floor plan or locked in with a builder and at this rate the soonest we'd be moving in is the end of this year.

Last edited by 458 Lott; 03/21/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, the cost does include a fireplace too. crazy

Hell, I like my wood fired pizza ovens cheap and they don't come any cheaper than this. lol

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looks like a great location, and I imagine with the ear plugs on the cable spool table you'd just enjoyed a shooting session.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A buddy built a pizza oven in his back yard. Its brick with a cool helical chimney.

For one or two pizzas he said its not worth it.....takes a long time to heat up and its more of a pia than its worth.

I could see it being worthwhile for events like you describe.

The woods and the water recharge my batteries.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 3,087 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,728
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.