Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Another thread and Steelhead got me thinking.

When's the last time you were pulled over?

Last one I remember would have been 97 or so. I was flying down a back country HWY at 3 am with some friends. Speedo was somewhere between 85mph and 0 mph (didn't go higher)

Cop going the other way nabbed me

Cop: Do you know how fast you were going?
Me: Honestly - don't have a clue, just going home
Cop: I don't know either but it sure as hell wasn't 45!

Gave me a verbal warning.

Had my license 20 years now, never received a moving violation, never been in an "at fault" accident. CDL 15 years - dunno how many miles as I don't drive regular but it's well into the 6 figures for total miles driven.

Accident free.

Me

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
damn goody two shoes. laugh

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i dont know, get pulled over a couple times a year cause ive got a lead foot.....at most get a $20 ticket, no points off and let loose.....never had an attitude issue with any Montana cops that have pulled me over....did run into a real jackarse phugger in Iowa though

Last edited by rattler; 03/21/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
According to court documents it was 2012. Points should be gone by now. Every 3-4 yrs I get a speeding ticket...almost always on the way home from camp, in the mountains. 20 sum miles in no houses and its 55mph....pfftt!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I get pulled over about every two years or so

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Somewhere around 750,000 miles ago. I've driven coast to coast, Florida to Alaska and back again a few times. As I said in the other thread my last time was 1991.

Not counting a few 'checkpoints'

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure...maybe 18 years or so ago.

Scratch that; that's the last time I got a ticket. I've been pulled over twice in that time but issued warnings.

Last edited by SockPuppet; 03/21/14.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Last summer I was pulled over on the way home from work. Town cop said I was driving erratically. What I was doing was straightening out the curves on a twisty road when there was no oncoming traffic. No citation.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1979, rolled through a stop sign with a cop setting on the other side of the intersection.

I told him I didn't know how I could be so stupid either.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last time was Fall of 1999, had a headlight that wasn't working.

Verbal warning to fix it....

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
26 years ago!
Not even a parking ticket, since.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by teal

20 years ago. Speed trap in a 15 mph zone.

Cop said, "Know why we're here?"

I said, "To catch speeders?"

He shook his head. "Homeowners' Association. Funny thing, the only speeding tickets I've written today are for people who live in this neighborhood."

He let me off with a verbal warning.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe 10 or 20 years ago. Got a minor speeding ticket. Paid it thru the mail. Not a big deal.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I got a ticket for an illegal left turn on my seventeenth birthday. That was my one and only moving violation. Last time stopped was last year when a nice state officer told my I had a brake light out. No ticket, just wanted to let me know.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Heck, I'll be the first to bust the bubble!

2003---95+ on the Dulles Toll Road. Ticketed with aggressive hauling azzzzz. Bob's ex-partner saved me from an automatic 7 days in the hoochcow and general population!

Virginity still intact for, which I am grateful! grin

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last time I got pulled over was in the late 80's. I got a ticket for doing 65 in a 55mph zone on a Nevada highway that's now has a 65 mph speed limit.

Can I get that ticket reversed? grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Earlier this month I drove the company truck with expired plates for about a week and I was dead certain I was going to get pulled over for it. It seemed like there was a LEO behind every bush and at every intersection until I got my new tags. Didn't happen, though.

About 2 years ago on my way to work in the company truck.

I had just gotten off I-75 and was driving the mile from the exit up to our shop. About halfway to the shop, on a slight downhill stretch, I see a Cheboygan county Sheriff's car go by. I looked at the speedo and, uh-oh, 62 mph. I tap my brakes to slow and that was all it took. I'm sure he'd have kept going if I hadn't tapped my brakes.

I was halfway to the door of the shop by the time he pulled in to the parking lot, no flashing lights, just pulled in and rolled down his window and asked for my DL. I gave him my DL and CPL and we chatted for a moment while he ran my info.

He asked if I was carrying, I said I wasn't, he handed me my cards, wished me a good day and drove off.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Three or four years ago I got pulled over one night by a county deputy because one of my license-plate lights was out. Verbal reminder to fix it and I was on my way.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Last ticket was November 1990.
Clocked at 95 in a 55, he wrote me for 70.

In the last three years I have been stopped 5 times in my BMW M3.
Always in the middle of nowhere Tx and clocked at 72 or 73 in a 70 MPH zone.

No tickets from the officers, just written warnings.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Three or four years ago I got pulled over one night by a county deputy because one of my license-plate lights was out. Verbal reminder to fix it and I was on my way.

Exact same thing happened to me in Charleston two months ago...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

When I moved from TX back home to WI - I never bothered to change my plates/registration.

Drove around WI/MI for 4 years with expired plates/registration. Didn't get clipped. Saved some money!

Me

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Back in 05 was southbound on Highway 97 in Oregon. Gave it some gas to get to the top of the upgrade and didn't let up going down the other side. Barney Fife was waiting for me at the bottom.

I could see the dollar signs in his eyes.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2004 I was pulled over for doing 45 in a 35 on a newly built 4 laner down the road from my house. Cop was cool about it though and gave me a warning and sent me on my way. That was a first for me.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

You ain't kidding. Most everyone posting has been decades.

Last time I was pulled over was last week. While driving to California at night, a Highway Patrol was parked on the shoulder of I-40. After driving past him, he pulled me over. He had an attitude. My brights were on - said I should have dimmed them. Let me off with a warning.

Prior to that it was in 2009. Speeding.

Prior to that it was 1993. Speeding.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My inspection sticker had expired.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DAMN!!
Bet y'all don't piss in the shower either!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Probably about... geez.. counting back vehicles to figure it out. Best guess is 6 years ago, driving home from scouting and working on my hunting land. Doing 72 in a 65 in late October through rural Nebraska with loaded Savage 99 on the passenger side and shotgun laying across the rear seats.

Had a nice discussion with the sheriff deputy about the deer population and prospects for hunting in November. Got a verbal warning and told to have a safe drive home.

Get stopped about every 5-8 years for a warning. Only one speeding ticket in 36 years of driving.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Mine was about 17 years ago, they had just changed the speed limit on a road I had driven for years from 55 to 45 and I didn't notice. My soon to be wife was riding with me and needed a bathroom. We stopped at the only country store for miles and it was closed for a week while the owners were on vacation. Hopped back on the road to make it to the next little town and pushed it a little. Sherrif deputy pulled me over doing 68. As he walked up to the truck he looked at hard at my NRA sticker in the back window and I thought I might have caught a break. Well, he wrote me a reckless driving ticket cuz I was doing 23mph over the speed limit. When I went to court I thought I caught another break as the prosecutor asked if I would just like to knock it down to standard speeding. Later I find the charge was still reckless they just made a deal on the fine and I paid for many years for that ticket on my insurance. Since then I am very careful about making sure I obey the speed laws.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I get pulled over all the time, never seem to get a ticket though. Last one was in 1994 doing 95 in a 55, he was nice enough to write me for 74 in a 55, said he would have to take me to jail for reckless driving if it was more than 19 over.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A couple weeks ago. Borrowed a big rig from a friend to haul a load of corn. Got pulled over for a routine inspection. Trooper wasn't happy when he saw I didn't have a CDL ( don't need one hauling agricultural goods within 150 miles of home). Spent 2 hours on the side of the road and had to call someone to come get me. He said "I think you violated every regulation in the book". I am going to fight it though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I get pulled over pretty regularly for light problems with various trailors, which I tow frequently. Last time was for a tail light on the truck though. I drive slow normally.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last time I was pulled over was yesterday. Did not come to a full stop at a stop sign, but was pretty darn close to a full stop.

Cop was very professional and came across as a pretty good guy. Especially when I only got a warning ticket, and learned a lesson.

Before yesterday, I had not be pulled over in about 15 years.

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last time was about 5 years ago, doing 41 in a 30 at the bottom of a long hill where the radar was waiting. I really did think it was a 35 mile zone. He let me off with a warning.

The times I was pulled over for a traffic violation (except once) were just about the only times I've interacted with a polite and professional LEO. Every time I've gone to the police for help or to take care of a routine administrative matter, somewhere in the conversation they've told me they "will throw my f*cking ass in jail".

Got pulled over in my 69 Cuda 340 doing 110 in a 60 - got a warning.

Got pulled over doing 75 in a 35 on a Norton 750 Commando - got a warning.

Got pulled over doing 41 in a 30 in a Honda CRV as mentioned above - got a warning.

Got pulled over doing 31 in a 20 on a street that until just before that was a 25 zone. Got a ticket. Really!? I'm thinking karma finally bit me for the excessive speeding I got away with in my younger days. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got pulled over last month doing 58 in a 25 in and during a school zone. Got a verbal warning grin

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know why, but stopping at a stop sign seems to be a lost art. We have a 4 way stop right at the corner of our hospital and sometimes I've stood there on the sidewalk and watched as car after car rolls through them.

Same on residential streets. Slow down, slow down - drive on through. Sometimes I think I'm the only person left in Boise who actually stops at a stop sign.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flagstaff

You ain't kidding. Most everyone posting has been decades.

Last time I was pulled over was last week. While driving to California at night, a Highway Patrol was parked on the shoulder of I-40. After driving past him, he pulled me over. He had an attitude. My brights were on - said I should have dimmed them. Let me off with a warning.

Prior to that it was in 2009. Speeding.

Prior to that it was 1993. Speeding.

He wanted you to dim your lights for a parked vehicle? Screw that. Unless his parking lights were on I'd have left my brights on too, just to be able to see and avoid the parked car better.

On a related note, about 2 months ago I pulled out onto the main road from my side road while on my way to work and was faced with an oncoming vehicle that had it's brights on. I flicked my brights at him and he dimmed his immediately. When he went by I could see that it was a county Sheriff's dept SUV. I half expected him to turn around and stop me, but he kept on his way.

The next week, I pulled out at the same intersection and had the same thing - bright lights in my face. I flicked my brights at the oncoming vehicle and the lights went dim. As the vehicle went by I could see that it was the same damn Sheriff's dept. SUV.

I hope I taught him a lesson. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last time was 1985. Got a "fuel economy" ticket as the speed limit had changed from 70 to 55 on the local freeway, and I was doing 70.

Nowdays I just drive the speed limit.

Virgil B.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
got pulled over for expired reg.
notified the officer that I had a pistol in the glove box.
he asked if it was loaded, I replied yes isn't yours.
officer said yes otherwise it's just an expensive hammer.
he ran the gun and told me to register online.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the past, I've been picked up for so many things, I couldn't begin to count....

Last time, 2-3 years ago...lead foot syndrome.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The last time I was pulled over was '97 and it was the only time I can say I was "hassled by the man". I had an old beater car and was driving through town coming back from lunch. I wasn't speeding, hadn't run a red or made any other illegal moves. They pulled me over and told me my license plate was too dirty to read, which it was. Took a snowball, cleaned it off and we were good.

Last interaction with the police traffic related was in '99 the same car, somebody pulled out right in front of me on the way home from work, icy roads and all I could do was slide right into them totaling my junker.

Last ticket I received was either '93 or '94. I was driving down I-5 around Stockton returning from the Sierras to the Bay Area. Speed Limit was 65 and I was doing 80-85. I had a feeling I was being followed but kept going just a tad faster than the flow. Got pulled over, he said he'd been following for me for miles and I was going consistently faster than traffic so he popped me. Most courteous and professional peace officer I've dealt with.

I've assuredly been deserving of tickets many times since then, but generally follow the rule of 9 your fine, 10 your mine and try to keep within 5-7 over the speed limit. That and our roads are so poorly paved there aren't that many stretches where you can safely open it up.

A more interesting thread might be, what's the fastest you've driven on public roads, or the most you've driven over a speed limit.

Last edited by 458 Lott; 03/21/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last year, 50 in a 35, got a warning.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nevada has a lot of empty... Seem to get pulled over every couple years. Usually speed, usually a warning.
When I was younger got a couple doozies, though.
138 in a 55, quite a few for exhibition of speed.
Lost my license a couple times, before I settled down and became a family man. Still drive some fast cars, just don't drive them fast.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
A couple weeks ago. Borrowed a big rig from a friend to haul a load of corn. Got pulled over for a routine inspection. Trooper wasn't happy when he saw I didn't have a CDL ( don't need one hauling agricultural goods within 150 miles of home). Spent 2 hours on the side of the road and had to call someone to come get me. He said "I think you violated every regulation in the book". I am going to fight it though.

I'd fight it as well. TX is pretty specific on that. Hauling your goods to or from your farm, within 150 miles - non-hazmat.

The only thing I can think of that might trip you up is where your friend's truck is registered - if he's more than 150 miles away from you, the inferrence is you've violated that radius from your farm. Or the fact that your farm doesn't own the truck used to haul the corn.

What is a Farm Vehicle Driver? (FMCSR 390.5)
A person who drives only a commercial motor vehicle that is

(a) Controlled and operated by a farmer as a private motor carrier of property;
(b) Being used to transport either �
(1) Agricultural products, or
(2) Farm machinery, farm supplies, or both, to or from a farm;
(c) Not being used in the operation of a for hire motor carrier;
(d) Not carrying hazardous materials of a type or quantity that requires the commercial motor vehicle to be placarded in accordance with 49CFR (Code of Federal Regulations), �177.823 of this subtitle; and
e) Being used within 150 air miles of the farmer's farm

They might make that bold part to mean you have to actually own and title the truck under your farm, can't borrow someone else's but I don't know.

I have a feeling you'll get off on the non-CDL thing but if he found anything wrong with the truck mechanically - you're getting clipped for that.

Me

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by fish head
Last time I got pulled over was in the late 80's. I got a ticket for doing 65 in a 55mph zone on a Nevada highway that's now has a 65 mph speed limit.

Jimmy Carter, that miserable, peanut-sucking POS, will burn in hell for the nationwide double-nickle.

Some of our younger members have no idea what it was like in those days.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
What the hell is a warning ticket? Never heard of such a thing in this part of Ontario.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Last time I got pulled over was like the first time I got pulled over. Speeding both times�

Went like this LEO: I had you going 85 back there�

Me: Sounds about right..

LEO: You know the speed limit is only 65�

Me: Where do I sign?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Somebody said that the older you get, the less of a challenge the speed limit is.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of the times I've been stopped for speeding, I'll bet I was only doing it intentionally 1 time. All the rest were due to simple inattentiveness.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I get pulled over at least three or four times a year coming back from California, on some "reasonable cause". One was for going ONE mile over, coming over a hill.

Apparently I fit the profile of a drug runner.

Other than that, I get pulled over several times a year, usually because I am trying to find a radio station or something like that and hit one of the stripes... Never get a ticket, though.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got pulled over a few months ago by an azz-hat trooper who wanted to check the tint on my wife's Mustang. It was right on the line of being legal. He let me go, but was very unpleasant and arrogant.

Before that, it was a ticket in a school zone, right by my house. I drive through there all the time, but not usually at 2:00 in the afternoon. I couldn't figure out why I was getting pulled over, until the trooper asked me if I'd seen the school signs. Terrible speed trap, as it's a 55mph zone on a four-lane major highway, but it drops to 35mph during certain hours of the day. Needless to say, there were no kids present or school traffic present an hour before school lets out, but I got the ticket anyway. I've got no love for local troopers, but only because they've never shown me any. Local PD and Sheriff's Office have been nothing but pleasant and decent.

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by kkahmann
What the hell is a warning ticket? Never heard of such a thing in this part of Ontario.

Verbal warning or caution. Not a ticket.

My wife gets stopped about every other year or so and has NEVER gotten a ticket, regardless of the state.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Last year going through a small town pulling my horse trailer with my six wheeler in it. I kinda rolled thru a stop sign and did not see the cop behind me. She pulled me over, came up to my window for the usual driver license and registration. She came back up to the window and said, I have some good news and some bad news. I looked her over, pretty nice looking gal. I said OH, she said ya, I have rodeoed and if you would have had a full trailer of horses I would not have stopped you. I said ok. She said my tail lights were out too. I said damn plug. She said the good news is, I am not going to charge you for that. I said wow thanks. She said the bad new is my trailer license had expired and she was going to charge me for that. Damn. I sure should have asked her a bunch more questions. LOL

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What, nobody got a tasing incident or shot at by the cops??!! You would think one of our resident LEO bashers would have been here by now screaming about the injustices incurred when they were pulled over.

Or just maybe... it really is isolated? whistle

Nooo couldn't be.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I got pulled over last year for doing 59 in a 45 mph zone resulting in written warning. That was the first time I had been pulled over since 1997 or so.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On a bad streak, once annually for four years, last was last week. Sad thing is, sure I've exceeded the limit before, but at least three of four times it was to totallt an over sight.

60 in a 45; pulled onto rural state hwy from interstate, never saw sign WITH A BRANCH DRAPED OVER IT.

Passing a pair-abreast couple of lane hogs on four-lane; 75 in 60.

Cruising with I swear, middle of 10-15 cars in fast lane on x-country trip. Rueal four lane interstate speed trap. 75 in 60.

Forgot same rural four lane was 60mph speed trap and caught self going 80 (thinking it was 75 or so). Let off gas, wasn't meaning to speed . Smokey comes tearing across median like a scene from COPS chasing a violent criminal.

Can't win. Getting a tricycle.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was a bartender for awhile before I left GA. Got pulled over ALOT leaving work at 2:30AM. Cant recall too many tickets though. Lots of DUI check points.

5 years in CO- can't remember once.

Last 8 years in WA- 4 times, all State Patrol. One time got pulled out for sobriety check. No issues there.
Twice for seat belts. Last kid was a douche +p. Thought for a second I was gonna get shot. Ticketed both times.
Once for I don't even know why. I waved when I passed him on his scooter shooting radar and he came after me. Nice enough fella.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was younger,much younger, I drove from South Florida to Rabun County, GA in a 1969 340 Barracuda. Started out at 60 mph on the turnpike but got to 80, then 90, then was cruising along at about 110 to 115. As I got to those winding roads up in GA I kept it down to about 75 or 80.

Never saw a cop, never got a ticket.

So any tickets I get now I figure are just long overdue...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
yesterday morning at 8:15. He pulled out behind me and followed no more than 100 yards. He asked me where's your tag I say on the front he says have a good day. He didn't even cheak my registration, proof of insurance or drivers license.

Damn law in Tn. is aggravating as all hell when it comes to where to put the tag on 3/4 ton or bigger. I have been pulled over at least 3 times lately because of that [bleep]. One cop insists that it goes on the back and another will make you move it to the front if your pulling a trailer. They need to issue two and leave us guys that drive work trucks the hell alone.

Cop was a nice guy, almost redeemed my faith in them,,, almost.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Was driving up to Monterey from Del Mar after a weekend of partying with some shipmates.

Boring ass drive and I was zoned out pretty good. Check the mirror and there's either Ponch or John (CHP) right on my bumper. I look down and I'm doing 98mph.

Cop simply pulled out, passed me and didn't even look at me at all.

Was like I was doing 50 and he wanted to do 55, cept I was doing 100....

Me

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
About a week ago, and I'm still pizzed about it. Nailed me right after I passed an idiot on a bike who was doing 30 in a 45. No way I was doing 60... says I.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Several years ago, and it's still a bone of contention with me. Driving home from church of all places and got pulled over a few miles from home. No idea why, as I knew I wasn't speeding. I was in a well known speed trap, and at the limit. The officer approaches my car and calls me by first and last name, asking me if I was aware that my driver's license was expired. I was not away, but it royally pizzed me off that he ran my plates for no reason whatsoever. I'm not a cop hater, actually a big supporter of our LEO's, but this crap really bugs me. No ticket issued-got my license the next day, but I don't like them "running" me when I knew I hadn't done anything in the car that warranted it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
June of 2012. A kindly Hubbard County, Minnesota sheriff's deputy had some friendly advice on how fast I should drive in Lake George, Minnesota.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
3 weeks ago, going 69 in a 55. $111.50

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I was last pulled over driving to the Campfire dove hunt a few years ago. I came down a "hill" on cruise and went 8 mph over. The LEO was driving in the opposite direction. Among other things, the officer asked where I was headed in such a hurry. I advised I was taking my youngest son dove hunting. He suggested I slow down and enjoy the hunt with my son and off I went.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't had a ticket of any sort for 20+ years. wink

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I was a bartender for awhile before I left GA. Got pulled over ALOT leaving work at 2:30AM. Cant recall too many tickets though. Lots of DUI check points.

Last 2 weeks I have been driving through town every night at 2-4 AM. It's basically just me, the drunks and the cops.

Waiting to get pulled over from some random bullchit excuse just to see if I've been drinking.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slg888
3 weeks ago, going 69 in a 55. $111.50

You got off cheap.

Two years ago I was leaving the city limits and hurrying to a 90 y/o lady's mobile home 70 miles out in the country to help her with a water loss; her water heater burst, and I needed to get there ASAP to get her help.

I got a ticket for 54 in a 45 zone by the Highway Patrol. I told the trooper why I was hurrying, but he just scowled, berated me a few minutes, and handed me a speeding ticket.

Six months later there was a large flash fire that ripped through an area along a highway between Carson and Reno. I got a claim to inspect a fire loss as part of that. It was Trooper Jerk's place. He about choked; he remembered me.

Trooper Jerk got Only what the policy allowed, exactly as it's written, no slack. It felt good, too. laugh

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Last couple of times came out pretty well. One time I was doing seventy something in a 55. Looking down at my wallet for my license thinking bad thoughts, handed the documents out to the trooper and saw his name tag. Thought, "I'm glad when I was a teenager walking by their house on my way fishing I always had time to stop and play with him and his little brothers (who were little kids at the time.) Got off with a "have a nice day."

Second time could have been a disaster. After I passed all the field sobriety tests with flying colors he still had me blow in his little gizmo. I registered enough for it to be a very expensive and embarrassing problem. NYSP are known to be absolute bastards about that. To boot, this was not some local boy whose name I recognized. He asked the wife, "Can you drive?" He let us go with her driving. Funny thing was, she'd been drinking drink for drink with me all evening.

Mathew 22: 37-39

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
13 years and around 500,000 miles ago.

Florida Marine Patrol officer gave me a ticket for rolling through a stop sign on a dirt road 28 miles out of his jurisdiction. Technically all of Florida was their jurisdiction, but they got dissolved a year or two later for irrelevance and folded into Fish & Game.

I hope he got shytcanned and wasn't offered an FWC gig.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ah I remember it well - about fourteen years ago.
Heading to work doing 55, come to a long sweeping curve 45 speed limit, still doing 55 at about half way through the curve there he sits, a CHP tucked behind some bushes.
"Ah schitt", I say out loud to myself. No time to slow down so I just maintain speed, check the mirror, yep he's a coming! He's spinning the tires, throwing rocks, creating a hellofa dust cloud until he hits pavement, Red lights on, you'd think I was trying to escape @100mph or something.
I pull over, he pulls in behind, when he finally gets out of the car it's time for another "Ah schitt" utterance, this guy ain't much taller than than his vehicle!
A short man with the power of the Badge.
Told myself "Self, this ain't going to turn out well".
Where I pulled over there's not much room for a full sized Blazer, and the shoulder of the road drops off pretty fast.
I rolled down my window, look back through my side mirror he ain't there, just then there's a knock on passengers window. All I can see is the top of his head! At least he was smart enough not to stand in the traffic. On this particular day I happened to be working away from my home store in a different town, so my knives and scabbard sitting on passengers seat were the first thing he saw when he opened the door. Kinda startled him, "what's with the knives" says he, "tools of the trade, I'm a butcher" says I. "You always carry your knives around like that? " says he. "Only when I work out of town" says I. Then he noticed the handle of the baseball bat leaning on the console from behind my seat. "What's with the baseball bat?" Says he, "hitting balls, I coach little league" says I, while showing him the glove and mesh bag of balls laying next to it. You could see he wasn't amused, he was so short he kept raising up on his tip-toes to get a better look in the back of the Blazer. Then he spotted it, the plastic handle of my cheap machete (I guess it kinda looks like a pistol grip) his hand immediately dropped to his weapon "What's That under the canvass!" His voice rising a couple octaves. "Oh that, that's a machete, there's a hatchet & folding shovel under there too, you know camping gear" says I.
Ol Shorty is nervous as cat in dog pound now, "do you always carry around that much stuff?"
(I guess he never encountered so many 'Potential' weapons in one vehicle.)
"I sure do, so are we going to get the 'license&registration' part here pretty soon you're making me really late for work"
After all that he still ticketed me 55 in 45

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Last summer. They just opened a new bypass here. 3 miles of nothing but pine trees and a 35 MPH speed limit the 1st and last 1/2 mile, 45 MPH in between. Makes no sense in the middle of nowhere. GSP pulled me over doing 55. He looked at my license, reminded me of the speed limit and said bye. Was on my way in 2 minutes.

Overall I've nothing but respect for the GSP officers I've dealt with. I'm not one to drive really fast, but will "cheat" 5 mph or so. There have been a few times when I didn't notice the speed limit dropped and I ended up 10-12 over. I can't count the times I've met GSP officers and had them hit their blue lights for a few seconds just as a warning.

In 40 years of driving I've paid 3 tickets. I'm still pissed about one in Arizona in 2000, but really deserved the other 2.

4 years ago I was driving back home from NC. I was on a 4 lane road which I knew narrowed to a 2 lane at the GA state line only about 1 mile ahead. There was slow moving truck ahead of me that I decided to get around before hitting the 2 lane. A NC trooper nailed me 100 yards from the state line doing 65 in a 50. I was guilty, just wanted to pay the fine and forget about it, but within a week I'd gotten 1/2 dozen letters from NC lawyers wanting to take my case.

I was 18 and in college the first time I was pulled over. I had the top off my Jeep when a heavy summer thunderstorm hit. During a break in the rain I made a dash for home when I met a local officer who hit his blue lights and made a U-turn. He was a nice guy, and a Jeep owner. He said he understood, but 72 was just too fast. Just as he got out his pen huge raindrops started falling again. He looked at the sky, ran for his patrol car and said, "get the hell out of here". I ended up teaching that officers son a few years later, and taught both of his granddaughters (twins) who graduate HS this year.

Last edited by JMR40; 03/21/14. Reason: fixed typo

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2 tickets on 2 different vacations in 2008. I am almost positive it was the out of state plates.
Broke my 25 year winning streak.

Last edited by krupp; 03/21/14.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I too like to get there asap. So... I get pulled over every year or two.
But most show extreme respect. One Ohio HP, said he Had to write me. So he gave me a seat belt ticket. $50 and no points.
And I thanked him profusely for his courtesy.
Funny because I have worn a seat belt All the time since I was 16!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Got pulled over twice on the trip home in Montana last year, first time for 62 in a 55, when she told me why she pulled me over, I wanted to say and....Never ever have I been pulled over on an Interstate before for doing 7 mph over the speed limit. Second time was at the north dakota border doing 95 in a 75, I always thought Montana was considered the autobahn of the US.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Been stopped plenty of times that I deserved, those aren't worth mentioning, but two or three years back I was stopped on I-55 just outside St Louis in IL for 67 (!) in a 65. In broad daylight on a nearly empty interstate.

Figured that was out of state tags and I was getting a ticket for sure but the guy gave me a written warning. Still don't understand that one. Why'd you stop me at all then?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I get pulled over about once a year for a roadside inspection. One time was a quarter mile from my last stop. When the trooper asked where I was headed, I pointed at the store and said, "There". He said he could check my paperwork there as well as the side of the road, and followed me to the store. While I delivered, he did whatever he does. Then came over and shot the bull with me and the store employees for a few minutes. Nicest trooper I ever met. Cody, Wyoming.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
About three years ago, an ISP trooper caught me doing sixty on a 50 mph county road. He probably would have not even pulled me over, but it was apparent that I was not wearing a seat belt.

When he got to the door my eight year old Grand daughter was crying her little eyes out.

The Trooper asked what was wrong with her and I explained that "She is scared that PaPa is in trouble."

The State Trooper let me off with a ten dollar seat belt ticket and then spent twenty minutes making friends with my Grand daughter. He invited her back to and let her climb into his cruiser and check out the computer and radio and even let her flip on the siren for a second. All while PaPa stood alongside the cruiser and watched, of course.

All in all it turned out to be a very positive experience for a little girl. Well worth the ten bucks it cost me. I was very impressed with that Trooper.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
$10 seatbelt ticket!?! Hot damn!

They're about $120 over here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
1999: 84 in a 55 = $105
2002: 97 in a 75 = $128
2004: 89 in a 70 = $40
2005: 79 in a 70 = $20
2006: Warning for ?
2013: Pulled over for No Brake Lights on my Trailer.
Two Weeks Ago: 55 in a 35 zone in PARADISE, MT during a blinding snowstorm at 6:45am in the morning. Someone has to protect the town of 120 people on a Sunday morning. Thank you MHP. $89

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sierrabravo45
Two Weeks Ago: 55 in a 35 zone in PARADISE, MT during a blinding snowstorm at 6:45am in the morning. Someone has to protect the town of 120 people on a Sunday morning. Thank you MHP. $89

Disco!!!!!! Someone please top this!

Go Nats!!!!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Month or 2 ago $10 seat belt ticket. My 3rd.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

The only reason we even have that is Idaho had to do something because the damned commies were threatening to pull our highway funds.

It is a $10 fine and a secondary offense, which means the cop has to have another probable cause to pull you over before he can write the seat belt ticket.

In some jurisdictions the cops are ordered to enforce the seat belt law by writing tickets for other infractions, which would have just gotten a warning had the seat belt been worn.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cop was cool.
Verbal warning for exhaust.
Open headers on the Nova were sorta loud ,I guess.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bucktales
1982 Verbal warning for exhaust.
Open headers on the Nova were sorta loud, I guess.

Reminds me of the time I had blown the motor in a 72 K5 Blazer, and was driving it back from the garage that put a new one in, with open headers, to the exhaust shop 45 miles away. Damn thing could hardly run 40 MPH, and I think was noisier inside than out.

To make matters worse, I was re-doing the interior too, so there was nothing inside except the 5 gallon bucket I was sitting on.

Luckily I avoided the "man" that day.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

The only reason we even have that is Idaho had to do something because the damned commies were threatening to pull our highway funds.

It is a $10 fine and a secondary offense, which means the cop has to have another probable cause to pull you over before he can write the seat belt ticket.

In some jurisdictions the cops are ordered to enforce the seat belt law by writing tickets for other infractions, which would have just gotten a warning had the seat belt been worn.

It used to be that way here as well. Now the State Patrol will stop you for it.

The local cops could give a chit about seat belt violations. There is enough actual crime around here that they leave ya be unless you're a complete azz.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
The last time was about four years ago in Deridder, Louisiana. I was going on a service call at 3 a.m., when I was pulled over for having a headlight out. The cop said he was just pulling me over to let me know.

Other than a little fender bender, the last ticket was speeding in about 2002.

I had 13 speeding tickets between 1991 and 2002. But since I started driving company vehicles, I've been driving like pawpaw. I got tired of hearing it every time they checked my driving record.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I got pulled over on the Kansas Turnpike one time in 2001.

The highway patrolman said "I clocked you doing 77 in a 70. But the reason I pulled you over is that I wanted to know if your Ranger is a 2000 model. I noticed your windshield is cracked all the way across and that's what our 2000 model Ford patrol cars are doing...."

It must get real lonely patrolling the Kansas Turnpike.

Last edited by username; 03/22/14.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I had a guy tailgating me and I made a rt hand turn.
Cop didn't see my turn signal "That guy almost hit you"
"Yes, and you stopped me?"
I signaled for 200yds and turned it off half way through the turn.

We discussed the merits of signaling what I was gonna do, or just switching it on as I turned, like the cop was expecting.

No ticket, still scratching my head.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A lot of small towns here in GA used to be bad about running speed traps just to make money on travelers. The legislature changed the law years ago so that you MUST be doing 11 mph over the posted limit before local LE can even pull you over. The exceptions are in a school or construction zone. A state trooper is the only one that can write tickets for someone doing 1-10 over the limit, but they generally leave you alone unless you are doing something else dangerous.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A coupla months ago.
Its 4:30 in the morning, the bed of my pickup is full of decoys, and not another vehicle on the road.
I start down a long hill, doing the 50 mph speed limit.
Part way down, I see headlights come over the top and really getting it.
Im thinking, this guy is sure in a hurry.
Catches up to me and slows down riding just behind me in the left lane.
COP!
Get into the 45 zone, already doing 45, get into the 35 zone, already doing 35.
Next thing ya know, he lights me up.
WTF?
Pull over, turn mirror so spot light is outta my face, and he comes up to the cab.
I have a smoke in my mouth, coffee mug on the dash, dog sittin next to me, and jammin to a good tune.
Well, good morning to you too, I said. What I do?
He says, Im not going to give you a ticket, but the reflective finish on your plate is starting to peel off.
HUH!!!
So the attitude head rears. ..
Papers are all good, runs my license, returns and says have a nice day.
I ask him if he is that lonely, he has to mess with an old guy going duck hunting with his dog?
He just looks at me. Then I said how am I supposed to know its fading? The plate is fine, just the sun faded it...
Am I supposed to walk around my truck at night with a flashlight and check. Heck, I didn't even know they reflected.
He said I needed to go to the dmv and get a new one.
I just smiled, and said yeah, Ill get right on that, and drove off.
Really!
Deputy Sheriff buddy said he was just filling his quota....

Screw em... Still have the same plate.

A few mornings later my sheriff buddy was behind me going hunting and said he didn't see anything wrong with my plate.
It was a bs stop.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Was around 1984... I was headed to my then residence in Orlando, FL from a visit in KY. My wife was asleep. It was around 3 am on a Monday morning somewhere between Ocala and Orlando with no traffic, when I decide to air out my 1975 Corvette Stingray and was going 140!!!!! Out of no where, BAM! he was there! He gave me a A$$ chewing and a warning and then asked me if I thought his mustang would take my 75 Stingray Corvette!! I said "Yes Sir! I would not stand a chance!"!

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Circa '02.. Goin' up main street - saw a space on the other side, made a hard left and settled in.. Local gendarme saw it, parked next to me and sez, 'you know it's illegal to turn into a spot like that?'

"Nope", sez I.. "Been doin' it, along with the other 2K residents of this burg for over 30 years and NO one ever told me it was illegal." (newer cop, about 30 yrs old - figgered he was in need of dispensing a few to keep up with the quota)

Can't recall if I got a warning or a ticket - but if local, it would have been only about $40.. Just can't remember..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
2000 when Dad had his last heart attack. Carolyn and I were taking 2 cars, ours and Dads to Austin, an hour away. As he and mom went by ambulance.

Funny part, we were in a train of traffic and were NOT speeding, but trooper flip flopped and pulled me over..... and told me how fast I was going.

of course I said nope, had it on cruise at 73, 3 over.... and so did my wife who is stopped up there, I was not going 87...

We had a few words, of course he knows me from city and fire department. I told him he clocked the wrong vehicle or needed to calibrate his radar again.

Got told to slow down, I sure, I'll drop the 3 mph...

Managed no ticket.

But I don't really give a flip when if I get pulled over if actually speeding enough to matter and get a ticket, I took the chance, who cares, its only my fault.

yep 73 was speeding... and so give me that one too.... but not for 87 we'll fight on that one...

I did get pulled over once since then to look at my inspection sticker, which was current and fine... no clue what he thought he saw.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I got Pulled over in Hamlin , Pa. a couple of weeks ago for literally no reason. I suppose the fact that My wyoming license plate seemed rear in Pa. must have convinced him I did not belong..... He wanted both my wife and my drivers licenses. He came back and said "I am sorry according to the computer my registration was expired". ........ Maybe my sister in law got me because she works in the county office that does registration in my town........

Funny thing is I had just run a red light and had no seat belt on .... cop was to focused on the cowboy on my license plate.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
1998. Nothing since then.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This time last year. Got a "slow it down sir".

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I average every 2 or3 years.. I don't seem to drive as fast as I used to. I think I have more patents ant my age..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I don't know why, but stopping at a stop sign seems to be a lost art. We have a 4 way stop right at the corner of our hospital and sometimes I've stood there on the sidewalk and watched as car after car rolls through them.

Same on residential streets. Slow down, slow down - drive on through. Sometimes I think I'm the only person left in Boise who actually stops at a stop sign.

Funny thing - a couple years after I moved to Idaho from California back in '75, a deputy wrote me up for doing what he called "a California stop". Fact was, the guy in front of me did roll through the stop sign, but I did not. But that's not the point. It struck me as most odd, because I didn't see people doing that with any regularity until I moved to Idaho. What I had been thinking of as an "Idaho stop"...the natives were blaming it on Californians - and that was long before the Great Migration.

Last time I was pulled over was about a year ago. Missed a reduced speed sign that had been moved farther out recently. Just a friendly warning.

A couple years ago, I was getting pulled over going and coming from night-shift work with regularity. At least once or twice a month. I knew it was just that time of night when they were looking especially hard for DUI, and I must have been fitting some kind of profile. It was a different city cop every time, and they were all very pleasant. I had a very distinctive old vehicle at the time, and I think it sopped once every one of them had met me. wink

In my youth, I was pulled over many many times, for good reason. I'm a pretty diplomatic guy, and I rarely got a ticket or any bad attitude from cops (except some 'tude from a couple bad actors on the local PD, who were later purged for various reasons). Same for cops in other states who pulled me over, justified or not. But there was this one deputy on a county road near Cedar City Utah, who was a complete butthead.

Most of the encounters, especially with cops in other states, were even kind of amusing - but I'm out of time to tell those stories right now...maybe later.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Two years ago while returning from visiting my Daughter in Nashville and on my way to visit my brother in Missisippi I dodged a deer that came out of the woods and hit a roadside traffic marker. I totaled the windshield of my Mustang. Limped on in to the nearest town and stopped and looked up the nearest glass shop. Headed thru town to it and was stopped by a city policeman and asked what happened, he was joined by a second patrolman who then directed traffic. He took my license and when I gave it to him he saw my concealed carry permit which I had neglected to give him. He asked did I have a weapon and I said yes. He asked was it loaded and where was it. I said yes and it was in the center console in a pocket holster. He asked me to step out of the car. He then retrieved my Kahr MK9 and removed the magazine and ejected the round in the chamber. He place all on the passenger seat. He then made a radio call and checked everything,he returned and apologized for the time and told the other officer I was clean. He then asked if I had any other weapons and I told him I had a 10mm on the floor behind the passenger seat and a 44mag in the trunk. He asked why so many guns and I told him I collected and was a gunsmith and had taken some of my collection to my grandchildren as gifts and to shoot. He then proceeded to tell me the glass shop I was going to was no longer in business and there were no auto dealers in town and I probably could not get a windshield there. He did say there was a body shop in another small town about 7 miles from there and would I like him to call them for me. I ,of course ,said yes and he did and they said they could have one over nite. He then returned my Kahr and magazine and reminded me there was nothing in the chamber. He told me if I got on a main highway and a State Patrolman stopped me he would immediately impound the vehicle as unsafe to drive (which it really was)but he would direct me to a back road and follow me to the city limits which he did. Upshot was I got safely to the shop and had the Mustang repaired overnite and was on my way home next morning. I could have not been handled with more courtesy and professional care. After returning home I actually wrote the chief of Police there a letter commending him on the professionalism and training of his patrolmen. I meant it. I have seen the stereotype redneck southern policeman all my life on TV and in the movies and he definitely displaced that picture. While not a pleasant experience it restored my faith in the courtesy and integrity of the southern policeman.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
Was around 1984... I was headed to my then residence in Orlando, FL from a visit in KY. My wife was asleep. It was around 3 am on a Monday morning somewhere between Ocala and Orlando with no traffic, when I decide to air out my 1975 Corvette Stingray and was going 140!!!!! Out of no where, BAM! he was there! He gave me a A$$ chewing and a warning and then asked me if I thought his mustang would take my 75 Stingray Corvette!! I said "Yes Sir! I would not stand a chance!"!

The 84 Mustang cop motor was one of the best available for quite a few years. My buddy had an 84 'Stang with the same engine. He was a big block Camaro/ small block Nova fanatic and the Ford was purchased as his wife's car. But he was very impressed with it.

If your 'Vette was running the original 1975 350 cid, it is quite possible that Ford could have beaten your Chevy.

Of course the power plants now available in either car would embarrass any of the 70's and 80's vehicles including those running 427's from Ford or Chevy.

T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Guess I've either been lucky or have become pussified with my driving. Last time I was pulled over was around 2005 by a state trooper on a county highway; midafternoon on my way to work. First thought was WTF!!! Turned out it was my next door neighbor. He stopped me to pay me for a couple boxes of ammo I had picked up for him at a gunshow. Didn't raise my insurance premium at all.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
For 25 years I averaged 3-4 speeding tickets a year. Been about a year since my last. I must be getting older. Or smarter. Probably the former.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I get stopped at least once a year. I haven't gotten a ticket in a long time.

I've told this story to several LEOs and they all get really mad about it. Because they're good guys. I was driving back to the Black Hills from Okaloma. I bought some BBQ and had it in a small cooler on the passenger seat. I was in Nebraska and was doing 7 or 8 over the speed limit and got pulled. The officer took my license but stayed at the driver's window. He asked what was in the cooler. I told him BBQ. He got a big shyt-eating grin on his face and said "I bet you got a couple of cold beers in there. What's really in there?" I said it was really BBQ. He said "How about you show me and if it's really BBQ I'll give you a warning. If it's not I'll write you for 10 over." I showed him the BBQ and got a warning. Every LEO I've told that to says he broke the law. That he can't entice me to give up a search with the bait of a warning. That was in 2007 or 2008. Haven't had to drive across Nebraska again.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Fall 2007,not wearing a seat belt.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
For 25 years I averaged 3-4 speeding tickets a year. Been about a year since my last. I must be getting older. Or smarter. Probably the former.

In Virginia, you would be known to the courts as a rapid point accumulator.

Go Nats!!!!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by byc

In Virginia, you would be known to the courts as a rapid point accumulator.

Yeah, well around these parts I've been a reliable source of pothole funding, as well as a boon to the insurance industry. There have been pluses on my end, however, academically speaking. I've three times been forced to attend driver re-education courses. I'm pretty sure that equals a PhD. somewhere.

Funny story about one ticket I skated out of, due to a hot shyt of a cop. I was coming back with my moose meat in 2006, hauling arse down I 93 just out of the notch, doing 90 or so. A NH statie lit me up and looked decidedly displeased when he asked me WTF I was doing running damn near twice the limit, and he started out saying something about 'arrestable offense' before asking me why the hell I was clocking such a rate of speed.

I explained that I had about 300 pounds of rapidly thawing moose meat that was approaching room temperature, due to the fact that the processor I'd used had a loss of power in the freezer, and told me earlier that day that I'd best come get it, as it wouldn't be anytime soon that his cold storage facility would be back online. I showed the guy a flyer from the business, and after getting his OK to exit the vehicle to show him the cargo with blood stains bleeding through the butcher paper, explained that I was mortified at the thought of having all that meat go bad on me after such an amazing hunt and stroke of luck hitting the tag to begin with.

He told me to get back in the truck with my lady, and to stand by. He walked back to his cruiser and a minute or so came back to the driver's side window. He handed me back my license and asked what unit I was in, and what I shot my bull with. I told him. He almost smiled and said, "well I gotta' tell you, I've been at this job some time and have heard about all the excuses out there, but yours is about the best I've been given. Slow it down and be careful. You're moose meat should be fine. Just make sure to get it back in the freezer right when you get home". I offered him a few steaks, but he just shook his head and said, "all set, but thanks. I'm bound to hit a tag for my moose one of these years".

I thanked him and offered my hand, and he took it and sent me off.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BRISTECD

DPS called and they have dismissed my citation and cleared it from my record! YEAH!!!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The last trooper let me off with a warning for speedin' a little. I was cleverly disguised as an old grey-beard with a cowboy hat and aviators.

Last edited by poboy; 04/21/14.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Locally for a breath analysis...amused me immensely.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
2000, the last year Dad had his last heart attack. Driving 3 over, on cruise, with wife behind me in Moms car same speed, on the way to hospital to take her car to Austin since she road the ambulance....

Told me I was going something over 90 as he clocked me.... nope not me buddy. And then he asks if I work for the city. Well no, I just stole the shirt....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
about a yr ago. corporate put gps in our trucks so no more cruising 85-90 on fm rds going to jobs.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last year. Pulled up to a stop sign. couldn't see to my left because Louisiana State trooper in an SUV had pulled a car over immediately to my left on the highway I was trying to turn onto.

So I eased up so I could see if traffic was coming, there was none, so I pulled out and made my right turn onto the highway.

The trooper hops in his car and her come the blue lights. Said I didn't completely stop at stop sign.

I told him yes i did, and afterward I had to pull up because his SUV was blocking my view of oncoming traffic.

He wrote me a ticket anyway. I thanked him and mentioned that the Louisiana State Police must have reduced their height requirements and laughed -(he was tall for a midget).

Went to court and lucky for me, the lady he had pulled over at the intersection just prior to pulling me over was in court. I told the judge my story and she verified it.

Ticket was thrown out and mighty mite was pissed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Me, "Officer XXX how are ya?"
Him, "Oh I didn't know it was you or I probably wouldn't have stopped you."
Me, "It's OK, I understand I was wrong. yada yada yada".
Him "yada yada yada."
and we had a good 15 or so minute talk.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Had a 23 day hunting trip 6 years ago were both my hunting partner and I each got a ticket, I got pulled over in NM for doing 66 in a 55 (speed had just changed 50 ft earlier) cop walks up to the truck (he was maybe 5 ft tall) and gives me a ticket. He told me the cost as he handed me the ticket and was confused as to why I was laughing.

I was laughing at my buddy who had got his ticket on day one just before we got out of CA, the CA ticket cost my buddy points and over $300, my NM ticket was $60 with no points...

Ted
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Last time I was pulled over was probably 25 years ago - last time I had to pay a ticket was 4 months ago - iT's just not the same when some left-lane hugging slow-poke that can't see my truck lights through his rear window can call the cops and grab money from your wallet without a cop anywhere near to see the truth...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bpas105
Last time I was pulled over was probably 25 years ago - last time I had to pay a ticket was 4 months ago - iT's just not the same when some left-lane hugging slow-poke that can't see my truck lights through his rear window can call the cops and grab money from your wallet without a cop anywhere near to see the truth...

How the f*ck does that work? Someone can just call the cops and they give you a ticket?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
1990 but I wasn't in my own car. Buddy pulls me over for exceeding the speed limit. Car doesn't have cruise control and the closer I get to home the faster I drive apparently. He puts on the lights I pull over. He walks up and I roll down the window. I say Hi dork what do do you want....he says nothin... get out of here [bleep].

wink

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mirage243

How the f*ck does that work? Someone can just call the cops and they give you a ticket?

Sure.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Averaging about 1/year for past 4 years (moved back to NC). Before that - 5/2003. The sad thing is, just one was entirely legit (making time to Alabama; 60mph speedtrap on interstate - my bad). The others? All NC state patrol bullschite. These phuektards are unreal.

Almost made it a year, was last month... was leaving town, phueker tagged me passing another car, after which I slowed right down to speed limit. Was at speedtrap where speeedlimit drops from 70mph still IN TOWN on a four-lane (congested), to 60mph LEAVING OUT OF TOWN on four-lane (rural; figure that logic). Yup, 82 in a 60. My other NC tickets are comparable in laughable bullschidedness.

Nothing but respect for LEO - excepting NC state patrol, biggest coksuckas "In the world!"

Last edited by sandcritter; 04/21/14.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Almost 20 years ago when I was in college. I got pulled over for going 72 in a 55. Funny after I graduated and moved into the area I would drive the same speed and get passed by the same constable and he would wave...funny what an in state plate does for you.

I took a class and they took it off my record.

I'm lucky it wasn't this morning. They are doing rinky dinky side road construction on I-12 east of Baton Rouge and it's 60mph the entire way. I went in to work today and traffic was 1/2 what it normally is because schools are out. Throw in 8 cops in a 20 mile stratch checking radar. Blah. Love morons who see a cop while in the left lane of the interstate who suddenly lock up their brakes and go 40mph.

Last edited by NathanL; 04/21/14.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I bet the truth is you were pissed because you thought he was holding you up, so you got right on his bumper to intimidate him

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
last time was around 1991, speeding. I do know that every time I've been pulled over I deserved it.

somewhere around 1983 I was pulled over for a headlight and I had no ID on me, cop asked me to sit in the car with him and then told me we had a problem as I fit the description of some one they were looking for, I gave the cop my drivers license number the full name and address it would come back to, he then asked me what endorsements were on it so I told him and he let me go.
I read in the paper to next day they caught the guy pretty close to where I was pulled over. Sumbich was ugly, didn't look anything like me at all.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
1995.... Didn't want to be late to church laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Two years ago on the Jicarilla apache reservation in new mexico. Got a warning.

tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Last and only time was seven years ago.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I got pulled over last summer for a loud muffler. I had 5 handguns and about 1000 rounds of ammo in the range bag next to me.(on the way to the range to shoot)Thank God we don't need to disclose here in the peoples republic of NY.
It was right after our "safe act" was passed , that trooper would have had a hayday with me.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I've had a driver's license since 1958 and goodness knows how many miles I've driven both here and in Afrika.

Never had a ticket and never had a single accident.

Pretty boring, I guess.

kd

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Averaging about 1/year for past 4 years (moved back to NC). Before that - 5/2003. The sad thing is, just one was entirely legit (making time to Alabama; 60mph speedtrap on interstate - my bad). The others? All NC state patrol bullschite. These phuektards are unreal.

Almost made it a year, was last month... was leaving town, phueker tagged me passing another car, after which I slowed right down to speed limit. Was at speedtrap where speeedlimit drops from 70mph still IN TOWN on a four-lane (congested), to 60mph LEAVING OUT OF TOWN on four-lane (rural; figure that logic). Yup, 82 in a 60. My other NC tickets are comparable in laughable bullschidedness.

Nothing but respect for LEO - excepting NC state patrol, biggest coksuckas "In the world!"

Wait till you get one on your er table. Use the extra big cath without lube. Make sure you ask if he remembers you. wink

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I had just left the gun club after shooting a mid range prone match, headed home to drop my rifle off and then on my way to work. Jumping onto the freeway there was a little old lady in front of me doing about fifty. The freeway behind us was clear so as soon as I could I mash the throttle, slide into the left lane and blow by grandma. The entrance ramp is on a slight incline, as I reach the peak I spot a Midland City po-lece car on the shoulder partially hidden by an overpass about a half mile in front of me. I can see the officer leaning against his car pointing his laser at me. Looking down the speedometer reads 84. As I pass by the officer he puts the laser down and nonchalantly walks to his cruiser. I slow down to 70, there's a curve in the road ahead. I'm watching the rearview mirror as I see a car round the curve behind me. Another car appears behind that car, it's the cruiser. He passes the first car, I slow down and pull off onto the shoulder, waiting for him to pull behind me. He walks up to my window and asks "how is your day going?" I tell him it was going great up until a few minutes ago...

We have a nice chat about guns (he asked me where I was comming from). I find out that at one time he was dating the daughter of a former club president whom I've shot benchrest with. He lets me off with a warning. Twas about four years ago. smile

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i think i can top all of you. summer of 69, spent all day in a ti**Y bar, from about 7am to 5pm, i was flying from all the beer.
It was summer in phx about 115, and i had a vw which was hotter than hades. I started driving down the freeway, and so hot i removed all my clothes. I knew i shouldn't be driving so i pulled over, which prompted the highway patrol to stop and see what was wrong. He asked for my drivers license in my pants pocket which i was so blown i couldn't get it out of the pocket.
He made me a deal, he would follow me up to a vacant field where i would park the car, and sleep it off. With the promise he would know if i moved before morning, i would go to jail. I complied.
You ever been stopped by a cop while driving nakkid?

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Bout two deer seasons ago, Hi-Po's and G&F Wardens were doing game and sobriety check points.

Gunner

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Never drove nekkid...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by teal
Another thread and Steelhead got me thinking.

Gave me a verbal warning.

Maybe 10 years ago and I was speeding. got a verbal warning.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Not sure which was last, so I'll mention 2.

One, we had a long hot dry fall, ground squirrels were still out up in the woods, and I ran into a state police fish and game detail officer checking for "post season" smile elk hunters while I was out shooting ground squirrels. I was done, moseying towards home, and saw a big blue ford truck wallowing down through the brush along the edge of a clear cut. I thought it was a logger or the like. I wasn't sure they'd seen me so I pulled over to let them by, only they didn't come by. I'd been driving about 5 mph w/o my seat belt. For no rational reason, i put it on. Waited. Waited. Waited. Then figured he must have turned the other way when he hit the road so I pulled up out of the ditch and around the corner. He was parked in the middle of the road standing by his truck waiting for me. We BSed for a little while. He checked my hunting license since, as I told him, I was shooting ground squirrels. He didn't run my plates or ask for my driver's license. He asked about other rigs I'd seen out in the maze of BLM roads we were in. Then we went about our separate business. Pretty good interaction.

The other one was also with a state cop but that one was highway patrol and he was a jerk. A known jerk .. turns out some friends of mine also had interaction with him. I was on highway 97 south bound going through Chemult, Oregon. I was about 2 mph under the speed limit. The cop was north bound. He passed, then turned around, pulled up behind me, and hit the lights. WTF? First, he said I wasn't wearing my seat belt, but I was, obviously. Maybe an honest mistake on his part, maybe not. Once he had me pulled over, he had to find some excuse. I was a little surprised he didn't ask about "carry" since I had a rifle laying on top of my luggage and camping gear in plain sight in the back of my jeep. He didn't ask, I didn't tell. Finally, he wrote me a fix-it ticket for mud flaps. Before my court date, a change of the law went into effect .. I'd have been legal under the new law. In the mean time, I cobbled together mud flap extensions, took a picture, and sent it along with my $109 to the court. They voided my check and sent it back to me un-cashed.

So ... there are all kinds, some good and very professional, some just hard-wired to be dicks.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2010 coming home on a 500 mile trip. Cruise control set at 85. Guy nabbed me with laser (I run a Valentine One). Got me and the guy right behind me. Pricey little ticket, but I have to say, his laser was calibrated properly. grin

Last edited by Mink; 04/22/14.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
My most recent time being pulled over was after deer hunting. One of my headlights had just gone out, and my hunting partner, oldest son, and I were on our way home. Leaving the small town where we were hunting a client�s farm, the police officer was kind enough. Weird thing about it, though, was that he asked my friend for his license? Angel is Puerto Rican with a big Che Guevera beard. I�ve never had an officer ask a passenger for id?

He reminded me that I needed to get the light replaced and I did shortly thereafter.

The time before that was more amusing. We were late for church but my wife wanted coffee at a nearby gas station. I was heading up there but decided, too late to avoid the �no left turn zone� due to construction, that we didn�t have time. As the light turned green the street was pretty completely empty, my wife read my mind and said �don�t turn left!� but I just ignored the sign and turned left� and drove right by a pair off officers who�d just gotten fresh coffee at the gas station we didn�t have time to hit.

The officer walked up to my window and asked me if I knew why he pulled me over. I said I did; that my wife had JUST told me NOT to turn left there but I�d ignored her. I gave him my documentation as he grinned broadly at my wife and me, her looking the opposite direction out the window in (justifiable) irritation w/ me and my defiant streak (yeah I know I�m a bad a$$ like the psycho from Pee-Wee�s Big Adventure pulling tags from mattresses). He wrote me the less severe of the violations he could have given me, and told me to please mind the signs. I am sure he knew that any lectures I might �need� would come as soon as I rolled up my window and drove away.

That was the most expensive cup of coffee I didn�t have time for EVER. DOE!!!!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Last week , new state trooper in town,she is trying to impress her new boss, so I get a seatbelt citation!!!

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by sierrabravo45

Disco!!!!!! Someone please top this!

If you're looking for someone to top this, I can easily but have had so many I can't even begin to recall them all.

Most recently, about 10 days ago in Mobridge SD. Doin 10 or 12 over. Warning.
Couple months ago, speeding. Somewhere close to 90 in a 70. Had been doing 95 just previous. Ticket backed off so it was 10 over so no points. That one merited a call to MHP's supervisor. Praised the officer. Quick, courteous and pleasant.
Few months ago. Stopped for failing to signal, no front plate and rolling through stop sign. Warning
Late last Fall, ticket doing 90 in 75 from MHP.

I get stopped regularly. Usually warnings. I'm always carrying. Always notify whether I am required or not. I have never been disarmed for any reason at a traffic stop ever. And I'd be a bit offended if I were. Actually had a WY state trooper allow me to hang out and nap in his car at scene of accident I came upon and had let family in my truck to stay warm. Whole time I had a sidearm on.

One of the best/worst was 2 tickets in 1 day in 2 different states. First in SD then NE. All within 3-4 hours of each other. Cost me in excess of $300 back when I did not have that kind of money.

All totaled, I've received tickets in 11 different states and warnings in a few other states.

Montana MOFO
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Ever heard of radar detectors? If you know how to use them and their limitations, you are practically invulnerable. I run 130 miles every day between work and home at 80 and have yet to get a ticket....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thought I was getting it yesterday...

80 mph, or so, down a straight but somewhat hilly state highway, and i see an oncoming trooper braking ahead of me with his wheels cut to u-turn behind me...
Just as I'm going over the next hill I see the car a ways behind me almost t-bone the turning trooper...

The corollary to the 4th law of thermodynamics clearly states that, "When the heat is on someone else, it aint' on you"...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Ever heard of radar detectors? If you know how to use them and their limitations, you are practically invulnerable. I run 130 miles every day between work and home at 80 and have yet to get a ticket....

I agree to a point. Out here, you are not practically invulnerable because there isn't always enough traffic to be able to detect an LEO tagging traffic ahead of you. But, if you watch and pay attention combined with a high-quality detector, you are better off.

Montana MOFO
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I rely on line of sight when I'm the only one on the road or very nearly so. Going up hills or around curves I slow down and here on I95 there are many stretches of road that are very straight, but lined with trees. There one needs to be extra careful and look for breaks in the tree line, tire marks etc. Higher risk so drive accordignly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jorge, what radar detector you run? Never used one, but I've got to do something; am getting tagged/penalized like the red-headed kid on the playground by Staties.

Oh, wait, dang, I was the red-headed kid on the playground!

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Snyper

I bet the truth is you were pissed because you thought he was holding you up, so you got right on his bumper to intimidate him

You have that one backwards; the passive-aggressive guy in front put his bumper on bpas105�s grille, offering him his ass, as it were. Where else does the guy in the back have to go when the control-freak up front intentionally impedes his progress?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jorge, what radar detector you run? Never used one, but I've got to do something; am getting tagged/penalized like the red-headed kid on the playground by Staties.

Passport/Escort. Pricey but well worth it.

link

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

BelTronics detector. Was nearly $500 when I bought this one a few years back. At the time, was the highest rated in impartial studies.

I am about due to upgrade so I will have to track down some new evaluations. Car and Driver used to do them regularly, I believe.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last time I got a ticket was August 31, 1974. Sped away from an apartment complex and got to the stop sign 1/2 block away too fast, apparently. Local PD got me for going 26 in a 25. Didn't argue with the cop, but I KNOW my car couldn't get to that high a rate of speed in a half-block. I was torqued off when I got home . . . then my room mate got home with a 26 in a 25 ticket also. Notice the date - AUGUST 31 - Nope . . . no quotas back then . . .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Having a realistic schedule, and enjoying the trip is a lot cheaper than a radar detector. wink

Here's another - as promised.

I used to live on my motorcycle when I was in my 20's. I rode agressively, and I have no shame in saying I was quite good. I got in the habit of crossing intersections as quickly as possible when it was my turn and the route was clear - but not exceeding the speed limit. On a couple of my bikes, doing so aften meant the front wheel left the ground by a couple inches or so - but only for a moment and I barely noticed it.

I was working near Quincy California that summer, and I had to make a run into town. Stopped at a light crossing the main drag. Light turned green, I checked for runners - then shot across the intersection a little light on the front end. While I had checked to confirm that opposing traffic was stopped - I didn't look hard enough to see what KIND of traffic it was. I had done that in full view of a city cop.

So he pulls in behind me and I stop. First he asks me "is that how you ride in Idaho?" I answer truthfully - "yes". He is not amused. He says he thinks I was showing off for some girls on the corner (whom I never noticed, BTW). We have a little discussion about that, but he's stuck on the idea that I was showing off. I finally look him straight in the face and state "if I was showing off, instead of the bike being like this (hold my hand at about a 15 degree angle) it would have been like this (hand at a perfect 90 degress verticle, between his face and mine). I was dead-serious, but I was hoping he would see a little humor in it. He did not. He didn't even hint of a smile. He just said "let me see your license". That's when I realized I had forgotten to make that transfer of my wallet when I changed clothes after work. When I sheepishly admitted to not having it - I kid you not - he gives me the dead-pan "you're in a heap-o'-trouble, then - aren'tcha".

I figured I was toast then - but he actually only wrote me a ticket for no proof of insurance....which was tossed (as he said it would be) when I showed my insurance and license papers to the judge.

I always wondered after that if that guy was really that serous - or if he was laughing on the inside.

Last edited by FreeMe; 04/22/14.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Waited forever at a red light at 6 am on a Sunday am. Finally made a left turn through the light, just as a Sheriff's Deputy was cresting the hill to my right. Got a warning.

I've gotten more warnings than I deserved. I just play it low-key, and don't have any troubles.

FWIW, I have yet to be pulled over since I've been carrying.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
About a year ago I was following a Montana hp down a dirt road. We got to a wide spot and he pulled over I went around and he hit the lights I stop and he asks do you know how fast you were going, I said about 45 then he said do you know what the speed limit is and I said no but I figured you did so i just followed you. He said have a good day and got in his car. 2 days later I hit the 45 zone down from 70 at about 60 same hp but different story.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Having a realistic schedule, and enjoying the trip is a lot cheaper than a radar detector. wink

What if part of the enjoyment of the trip is pretending it's still 1973, and you're on US Hwy 50 halfway between Eureka and Austin?

Man, I love that road. And I just found a new sweetheart: UT 21 between Milford and the NV border.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mink
2010 coming home on a 500 mile trip. Cruise control set at 85. Guy nabbed me with laser (I run a Valentine One). Got me and the guy right behind me. Pricey little ticket, but I have to say, his laser was calibrated properly. grin

I have had a 85 in a 55, and yes it was pricey ticket too. Automatic court date, everybody was ohhing and awwing when they heard to price of the ticket.

Clos

NRA Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1980 ... Got pulled over on a Sunday afternoon after partying all weekend with the boys. Blew a .24 DUI.

Quit drinking in 1988. Second best thing I ever did.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

For those of us that have to travel for work our schedules are often at the mercy of our clients, and for me, the weather. I am in a unique situation that my work is very seasonal. I have a very short period of time to do as much work as I possibly can in order to make enough money to get me through the entire year. This requires an inordinate amount of driving, many times working all day and "commuting" to my next client that may be 800 miles away to work the next day.

So, in a perfect world, yes, it would be nice to sit back and enjoy the road. But in my world, I have to deal with the realities and there is only so much enjoyment a guy can take driving the same stretch of the interstate in Wyoming for the 25th time this year.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey - y'all don't have to make excuses for me. I'm just sayin' speeding is a choice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey - y'all don't have to make excuses for me. I'm just sayin' speeding is a choice.

You're right.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
About 20 years ago. Got a ticket for an expired inspection sticker and expired plates. They expired in December and it was already Jan 3rd.

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

No excuses. Just clarifying that choices aren't always as simple for some as they are for others.

Montana MOFO
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted By: bpas105

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

340 members (16penny, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 43 invisible), 2,338 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,343
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.