Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
How do you get fuel for jetboils and such to your hunting areas . Or what do you use in place of these. We are flying in to Deadhorse for a caribou hunt and trying to figure everything out.

Long live the NRA
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're flying commercial? I would check with the General Store in Deadhorse and find out what fuel(s) they might carry. You might also call a central office or other business there to inquire about leads for things you want to bring but can't fly commercially. Being accessible by road and a site of development means you should be able to acquire some needs.

http://www.prudhoebay.com/communities_Deadhorse.htm

(You might also inquire about regular availability as some of the small places have major stock fluctuations. If in doubt you might arrange to pre-purchase your needed items and have them set aside for you to pick up when you arrive.)

Last edited by Klikitarik; 03/22/14.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I strongly suggest buying a multi fuel stove for fly in hunts. That way you can even use AV gas.

Its not a jetboil but the trade off to getting somewhere withotu jetboil fuel, even if promised it was tehre....

I"ve heard of folks stashing a small survival canister or 2-3 for things like jetboil/pocket rocket say in the bottom of boots, even havign luggage marked as searched, but fuel still there.

At least thats what I"ve heard...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those are good ideas - standard unlead gasoline and #1 heating fuel or diesel are certain to be available. I would not try anything silly with AK Airlines or TSA. They are as humorless as any anywhere.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Rumor has it both missed some issues as recently as last september, even after going through a buddies stuff..... but now that I have it where I need it, its an emergency stash and thats all I needed.....

But I do feel, that on a fly in, unless you KNOW you have fuel canisters to spare for an extra 5 or so days in the bush, by far would be smarter to have the multi fuel ones even though a bit of a pain to fuel and pump up...

Whats not to like though, about being able to pull the fuel drain on the wing as you realize you forgot fuel and fill your fuel bottle....at the worst case.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not the "missing" part I worry about; it's the getting caught, especially in the rather apparent act of trying to avoid getting caught. There are too many sphincters involved in that whole deal.

Some concourses don't have TSA hurdles...........whistle

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

That can cause other problems as the recently-diverted-to-Kenai United flight showed.

Passenger were not allowed off the plane for 4 hours.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You definitely wouldn't want TSA inspected passengers and baggage deplaned into a non-sterile area would you? whistle

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It was BS to me. When the storm quit, they could have flown to Anch and deplaned where ERA (RAVN) deplanes as there is no TSA here.

But I digress...

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
It's not the "missing" part I worry about; it's the getting caught, especially in the rather apparent act of trying to avoid getting caught. There are too many sphincters involved in that whole deal.

Another buddy flew to hawaii. A friend of ours in Hawaii had bought 2000 rounds of 223 loaded on sale.....match ammo.

He asked if my buddy could check into if he could pay extra to take it...

My buddy.... just stuck2 cases in his luggage and flew... never mentioned it.

It did exceed the 11 pound limit.

TSA met him in Hawaii... lucky he only had to pay some shipping...

Glad it wasn't me. Even though the wife wants to see Hawaii pretty bad we haven't been yet. Figure tourism can come when we are too old to climb mountains...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
It was BS to me. When the storm quit, they could have flown to Anch and deplaned where ERA (RAVN) deplanes as there is no TSA here.

But I digress...

You know they would have had to throw that plane away if they let them get off and get "dirty", then get back on again? wink (The only way to keep the plane "clean" would have been to keep everyone on board with a few jackboots roundabout to prevent any "dirties" from approaching.....yeah that would be pleasant! sick )

Originally Posted by rost495
TSA met him in Hawaii... lucky he only had to pay some shipping...

...and he found a special place on "the list".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You really don't want to mess with this, I don't know off hand if Jetboil fuel is a no no, my guess it is because its compressed gas on a airplane with Passengers. Those are pretty popular I don't think you will have a problem, thou a multi fuel stove is a better deal if weight is not a problem.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
There is fuel in dead horse.....brooks range supply will have some ill bet

Last edited by rainierrifleco; 03/28/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It is a violation of Federal Aviation Regulations as well as IATA (international) regulations to carry compressed flammable gas containers on passenger aircraft. Examples include propane tanks, iso/propane/butane fuel cartridges for stoves and lanterns and the small butane cartridges for Thermacells and hair curling irons. Incidentally, the curling iron butane cartridges work in the thermacell and are way cheaper. Some airlines have instituted more stringent regulations that say they will only allow new, unused liquid fuel camping stoves and fuel bottles in checked luggage. You need to check with the airline or airlines (code share agreements) you are flying. Some bag screeners are better than others. I was once paged in the Air New Zealand boarding area, marched to the baggage area and told to dig out a small alcohol stove the diameter of a pop can so that the screener could smell that I washed out all traces of flammable liquid (I had). I am not sure if you can ship gas cartridges on cargo aircraft but if allowed they would go as HAZMAT and the charges would be prohibitive. Butane lighters are not allowed in checked baggage but you are allowed to carry one small butane lighter on your person.
Now the reasoning behind the FAR. When the aircraft is at 35,000 feet the cabin is at 6,000 feet. At 40,000 feet (an altitude I have had to climb to between Anchorage and Fairbanks to avoid thunderstorms in the summer) the cabin was at 8,000 feet. I have had gas cartridges leak in my backpack while hiking at altitudes lower than 6,000 feet. The real danger occurs if the aircraft has pressurization problems which I have experienced twice (DC-10, B-727). Once we caught the cabin and did not deploy the masks but the other time we could not descend below 10,000 feet until clear of terrain (much terrain in Alaska?) so the masks were deployed. Most aircraft have oxygen generators in the panel above passenger seats that generate high heat when making oxygen. Remember Value Jet over the Everglades?
There are similar problems in the cargo hold. No o2 generators but numerous sources of electrical shorts to ignite a flammable gas mixture if a gas cartridge valve leaks. Obviously someone sneaking a gas cartridge in baggage would always remove the lithium batteries in their luggage. Remember TWA 800?
So if you are contemplating sneaking a gas cartridge aboard a passenger plane you are not flying solo, please have the decency bring your kids along. If the plane blows up there is better chance that the stupid gene you are carrying will be more likely to be stamped out.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Wow Bob, you sure dampen a party! crazy

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hot food is over rated

just open an instant oatmeal and down the hatch she goes, you've water and heat inside you

Saul Goodman

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
multi fuel is the way to go in AK. See if sportsmans or mayers will do a bush order for white gas for you . Check with your bush pilot and see if you can have it sent directly to him.

I Kill Things......deal with it..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
739 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 86 invisible), 2,823 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.