Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
And so it begins-

Sometime in the summer or fall of 1955:

"To whichever camp member reads this

We cleaned the underbrush and dead trees out and I think we should stop using the live trees for target backstops as it is hard on trees. Also got the garbage pile moved. You can start a new one above the cabin behind the brush pile. The water barrel is full of bugs but you can't stop that. I cleaned the gutter out it was full. Burned some wood as you will see. I am not trying to run things but I think all will agree to this."

Bud

This was the first entry in the camp book, or diary of our camp, Camp Opa, built starting in 1955 in Clearfield County, Pennsylvania. I am the son of one of the five original members. The original members of our camp were:
Bud Streit
Bob Gamble
Bert Callan
Charlie Fields
Howard Grubb (my father)

My brother and sister visited me from the Youngstown,Ohio area this week. 'Came to see me following my recent heart issues. My brother brought along "the book". I've read this well over 100 times, and every time I crack the cover, I learn something new.

Our camp was built a decade after our men came home from defeating the Axis powers. All these men were still getting on their feet after the horrors they'd lived through just a few years back on the battlefields of Africa, Europe and Asia. All five were skilled trademen who made their living with their backs and hands. An electrician, mill workers, and carpenters. Money was scarce. The lot cost them $50.00, and it was all they could do to scrape that money together. The camp was built mostly out of recycled supplies, or stuff bought from the local sources when they couldn't come up with hand me downs for free.

A simple one room shack, it would become home base for a rich deer hunting tradition that has spanned 7 decades, 2 centuries, and three generations.

Prior to the building of our cabin, the group stayed with an older lady who lived on an old farmstead up on Boone Mountain. Margaret Bundy took in hunters for deer season to make a little extra money. Our guys had stayed at Margaret's for several years after WWII until they built Camp Opamp Opa.

November 28th 1955

"First deer season in camp. Most snow for several years. All members were here plus five guests. Up to third day no one got a deer."

Bud

The first hunting success for the Camp Opa boys:

Dec. 12th 1955

"John Bill and I were here doe. Got three first morning. Weather was fine about three inches of snow temp 22 above."

Bud
My dad's first entry:

April 28th & 29th 1956

"Burt and Grubb up & sided in front of cabin."

I could write for hours on the exploits of the boys from Camp Opa. The good times, and the hard times too, like the passings of loved ones, friends, and members, reclalled now in the pages of this grand book.

I would strongly recommend that every hunting camp, or party keep a book like this. It is really interesting to look back on the rich history we build from year to year.

All the original Camp Opa boys are long gone now. My son is the first and only member of the "third generation" to hunt Boone Mountain in the footsteps of his grandfather. Here's to the hope that our rich tradition forged on the backs of our predecessors never ends.

Rest in Peace to all the Camp Opa boys that went before us. They all left this world a much better place, and we thank them very much.

Grubb

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
To the camp Opa boys... A tip of the hat and a raise of the glass.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
To the founders of Camp Opa, Cheers!

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How many other camps keep a diary going? We here about Northern Dave's exploits. The infamous Swamp Squids, the stories make for a great read. There must be other stories out there from other camps just waiting to be shared. Let's here 'em boys!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
gopher, know that country very well.. Relatives in the area.. Haven't been in a camp like that for 50 years, but they are a special world all their own.. The camp I was associated with was destroyed by a tornado many years ago.. It was never rebuilt, and the group has either died or quit hunting for the most part..
As others have said, cheers, and best of luck...

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I grew up in PA. My Dad always wanted a cabin---never got one--tight money raising 5 kids. My brother & I both have cabins. Mine is a fishing cabin on the Kenai River in AK. My brother lives in Cleveland, his is a deer cabin in SE Ohio. I go there every year and yes we keep a cabin diary. Memories to live on.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Good stuff!! We too have one at our tiny little spot of heaven. im the only one of the five cousins/members that ever remembers to write in it tho. when you sit around and read it, it is funny, almost to the point of embarrassment, as to some of the things, bets, ideas that either yourself, or your other blood relatives did or had. Things that make you scratch your head for sure. Some very funny things, that should go to the grave probably, not written in pencil, crayon, or ink. Someone always takes the pen that is tied to the damn camp log, does anyone else have this issue too?? I only wish that we would remember to write important things in it as well... Good stuff for sure tho guys, take care!! Paul

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
When I read through the book,I am reminded of how much time our guys spent up at camp. Some years, it was just about every weekend through the summer. And this was before Interstate 80 went through. Anyone journeying to camp from North East Ohio, which is where our guys were from, had a 4 1/2 hour drive on surface roads through the heart of Central Pa. to get to camp. Deer season for us always opens on the the Monday after Thanksgiving. The trip to camp on the Friday after Thanksgiving was commonly about a 6 hour drive. All the little towns along the way were chocked with traffic, as the Orange Army headed east to their cabins. Sometimes getting through Clarion was a real adventure. Every bar, every general store, every gun shop would be packed, as guys prepared for Monday morning.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
gopher, know that country very well.. Relatives in the area.. Haven't been in a camp like that for 50 years, but they are a special world all their own.. The camp I was associated with was destroyed by a tornado many years ago.. It was never rebuilt, and the group has either died or quit hunting for the most part..
As others have said, cheers, and best of luck...
Was that the tornado that tore up the Parker Dam area over by exit 18 off of Interstate 80? That was a bad one-looked like someone took the whole top off that mountain. Guys told me it was tough hunting in there afer that because of all the blown down timber.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by gophergunner
When I read through the book,I am reminded of how much time our guys spent up at camp. Some years, it was just about every weekend through the summer. And this was before Interstate 80 went through. Anyone journeying to camp from North East Ohio, which is where our guys were from, had a 4 1/2 hour drive on surface roads through the heart of Central Pa. to get to camp. Deer season for us always opens on the the Monday after Thanksgiving. The trip to camp on the Friday after Thanksgiving was commonly about a 6 hour drive. All the little towns along the way were chocked with traffic, as the Orange Army headed east to their cabins. Sometimes getting through Clarion was a real adventure. Every bar, every general store, every gun shop would be packed, as guys prepared for Monday morning.

I hope it's still like that when I get to experience it!

I take notes when I'm hunting. Day, weather, ammo, gun, sightings...stuff like that. If I'm at a camp where there is a log, I'll make an entry. I think they're great to re-read over the years.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
We started a camp log around 1985, but the old times kept a record of kills on the wall. record goes back to 1941, the year the cabin was built.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Holy Cow! I'm pretty sure it was Clarion that I stayed at for that week I worked in Brookville! That is so cool that I can picture the beautiful country that you hunted. It is one of the prettiest places I have ever seen.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Rooster, if it was a college town 20 miles or so west of Brookville, it was Clarion.

Gopher, the tornado that hit Parker Dam was a bad one, I think some folks were killed in the valley between Sabula and Penfield, I know it blew 3 houses apart, skipped over the hill,took out all the trees around the Lady Jane Mine, skipped over the group cabin (full of Boy Scouts) at PD and trashed a whole lot of country. From what I hear, it's still pretty tough country to get around in but the bears love it. I think Ron T's buddy Harry hunts there some.

Cool thread, I miss the camp I used to hunt from. You guys with a camp log might want to think of safeguarding it. When our camp (old farmhouse owned by cousins) caught fire, there was nothing left.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dale-

I had heard about all the damage over by the Lady Jane. They really got waxed over there. 'Can't imagine trying to dig a bear out of those blowdowns. I'm sure they're in there if anyone's goofy enough to go in after them. Harry's camp is over that way-I'm pretty sure they're one hill over from the stike zone from the twister.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Another entry from the book:

Nov. 30th, 1957

Grubb, Bert & Gamble arrived Sat. Bud & Jess came in Sun. Bert got an 8 point Mon & Howard a spike Tues. Jess left Tue, Bud left Wed & Grubb and Bert left Thur. Gamble & Jim Bigger (a friend of Howard) left Sat. noon after 2 days of rain.

Grubb

This was the first entry I could find where my dad took a deer since they built the camp.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Some of the names I am only familiar with from hearing them in the past. Unfortunately, our guys didn't take a lot of pictures. We do have a colored picture of the 5 original members standing by the game pole with 5 bucks. My dad is wearing his old Woolrich hunting suit. I still have that suit and will dust it off and wear it again one of these days. It is one of my most prized possessions.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Jeff if you email it to me, I can get it posted.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Gopher-

I think I can speak for the rest of the class that we'd sure like to hear more entries. It brings up fond memories of camps gone by.

Salute to the founders of Camp Opa! smile

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks CFT. I'm not bragging, but this is a very good read. More on the history of our camp:

I mentioned Margaret Bundy, who took in hunters to make some money in the fall. Margaret fed the guys as part of their rent. Dad said she never admitted to serving them venison,but they had no doubt she was doing it regularly. The guys were up stairs playing cards one night, and as was common practice, heard Margaret's little 32-20 Marlin crack down stairs. Margaret would put out a pot of stewed apples, and wait for the deer to come in. She'd yell up at the guys, "who's shooting up there?" Pretty soon she came running up to tell the guys' she'd hit a little forkhorn, and he ran out and laid down in the middle of the road and she needed them to go drag him in. Dad and several of the guys, no doubt nine sheets to the wind, went out in their skivvies with a hammer to subdue the buck. After they'd chased him across a hayfield, two fence rows and a pasture, they gave up and came back, deeming the deer to be alive and well enough to not be supper for tomorrow night.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
There are 7 lots on the trail our camp sits on. We have the last lot up on the hill-tucked right up against the State Forest land. The Stitt boys in Camp Bozo were our dear friends, and had the camp across the trail from us. There was always a friendly competition to see who could have the first deer hanging on the opener. There is a well circulated story about my dad, and one of the Bozo boys each literally riding bucks down the mountain from up above to be the first to hang one on the game pole. They had ended up hunting within a couple hundred yards of each other and both shot bucks the first morning at about 7:45a.m. To the camp that hung the first buck went a bottle of rotgut, and more importantly, bragging rights for the next year.

So here's these two grown men riding deer carcasses down the side of a mountain, only to find that when they got back to camp, the camp cook for the Bozo boys all ready had shot one right off the porch with the old "camp gun"-a well worn 30-40 Krag. That story made the rounds among the camps up there for decades.

Last edited by gophergunner; 03/25/14.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
To the camp that hung the first buck went a bottle of rotgut, and more importantly, bragging rights for the next year.

So here's these two grown men riding deer carcasses down the side of a mountain, only to find that when they got back to camp, the camp cook for the Bozo boys all ready had shot one right off the porch with the old "camp gun"-a well worn 30-40 Krag. That story made the rounds among the camps up there for decades.

grin

These are fantastic!!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Camp meat, fact or fiction I've heard a couple of good stories about camp meat over the years.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dad never admitted to it, but I'm pretty sure they didn't bring a lot of beef to camp with them....... I can honestly say that in the time I hunted there, we never had "camp meat" unless it was from last year's deer.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Same here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I've never heard of this "camp meat." Please explain.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
30 years ago or so, you were allowed a camp deer in MI. I think it had to be consumed in camp. My guess is that too many were taking "advantage" of it and the DNR suspended it. Too bad, I think it, among other things, hurt the tradition of staying up at camp for a couple weeks. Now most stay just a few days.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Dale K
Rooster, if it was a college town 20 miles or so west of Brookville, it was Clarion.

[Dale

Yep! That's it! Awesome country! I even saw a very large road kill black bear laying on the side of the road one morning on my commute to Brookville. We have bears in MN but I have never seen one road kilt.

Gopher,
These are great stories! Thanks for sharing

Last edited by Rooster7; 03/25/14.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
Tom-seriously? 'Never heard of camp meat? You friggin' hayseed!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Our guys tried their had at bow hunting for deer. As the old saying goes, "the hunting was great, but the shooting sucked':

Oct.2-1960

Burt Callan, Grubb, Jim Biggers and Guy Mercer bow hunted for deer Sat. No deer. Left Sun 9 a.m.

Grubb

P.S. Grubb shot all his arrows at a buck and a doe stands and watches him cut an arrow out of a tree.

Our guys were good gun hunters, but I can find no records of anyone taking a deer with a bow. My dad was the target of much good natured ribbing over the incident discussed above. Apparently he shot 8 arrows at a buck, missed every time, dug one out of a tree in front of him, missed with it, and then threw the bow at the buck out of frustration. The standing joke in camp was that you could have made a toothpick factory out of the pile of arrows dad left in the woods that day!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Tom-seriously? 'Never heard of camp meat? You friggin' hayseed!

Nope. Completely new concept for me. wink

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
many times the plan with my uncles was that we would stay at camp until the camp meat ran out. you could do a lot with a few jars of gravy, a few onions, and a 10lb bag of potatoes with your camp meat...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I look around this little camp and try to imagine what it must have been like with 10 guys and all their gear crammed in there. 'Couldn't have been much elbow room with a crew like that. A kitchen and dining room were added on years laters, as we a big front porch. Dad cut a window into the back wall of the camp with a crude screen in it. It was put there purposely as a gun port, as the deer regularly cross between the cabin and the outhouse.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I can assure you, their "gear" was a lot less than all the gadgets we bring now. Last year, I really lightened up my pack. Several 1/2 day sits, I didn't even have a pack.

I'm guessing those guys has a rope, a knife, matches, a sammich, and a "pop".

Last edited by tzone; 03/26/14.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Love these stories. Keep em coming. And for Gods sake share them with your children and their children. As a society we have lost the oral tradition! These stories ,as humble as they sound, are the true essence of all that make is who and what we are!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Jan 11-64 Bow season

Arrived with Biggers about 10:30 P.M. Thursday night. Snow was drifted on road and had to leave car at foot of hill. Biggers saw 55 deer & I saw 51 in two days. Biggers missed one & I broke an arrow trying to shoot through trees. 10 degrees above zero Sat morning. Left camp around noon Sunday. Squirrels were by the back door.

Bert

The was the heyday of deer numbers in Penn's Woods. If you didn't see at least 30 deer a day, it was a slow day. I remember one opening day when I counted 47 deer. This was before QDM was enacted. It wasn't at all uncommon to see those kinds of numbers and maybe see one spike buck out of all that. The herd was definitely out of balance and QDM eventually leveled out the buck/doe ratio quite a bit, but that didn't come until much later.

There are many entries about the guys taking 35 or more squirrels in a weekend too, and that's with no Sunday hunting. Many of the entries talk about the guys getting to camp at about 1 a.m. in the morning on Saturday. This is because most of the guys were working until 5 or 6 in the evening, and then had a 4 hour plus drive to get to camp. When Interstate 80 went through it shaved an hour and a half to two hours off our commute times.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I've had a camp sinse 1989. I never kept a journal but took quite a few picture. Now, more pics than ever. We hang them up on the joists and sheds and antlers go on the beams along with a few bear skulls. My sons first kill is on the beam, a red squirrel tail. I could write a journal now and remember everything. Never could remember the last time I forgot something. Now that I think og it i'm going to copy my old 35 mm prints and hang them on th joists.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Pics are great too.

One of my most prized possesions is the photo album from my Uncle Jeff's(mom's brother) camp. I don't think they had a journal but I have "the book". My dad was part of the camp, mostly to hang out with his BIL's. My Uncle Rick was my dad's best good friend and they did a TON together. Rick was at our house every weekend at 6am wether dad wanted to hunt or not. I ALWAYS wanted to go and was up, dressed, and ready. Most saturdays, dad had to work anyway, so jumped in the chevy and we went to camp to hunt "partridge" and fix stands.

The camp was sold by Jeff in the mid 80's so he could pay for his wedding. (WTF?) That should have been the first signal of an evil woman. Jeff wasn't around there much but was the full owner of the camp. Rick and dad tried to buy it but for some reason Jeff wouldn't sell to them.

I hunted and spent MANY hours in the woods with Rick. He passed from cancer when I was 11. Two months before I turned 12 and could legally hunt in MN. We've been hunting together every years since 1988. He gave me his knive, a Chicago Cuttlery lock back.

If my house burns down... I'm grabbing my kids, that kinve, and "the book". The hell with the rest.

Last edited by tzone; 03/27/14.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
There's just nothing quite like being the first one to make it to camp. Sitting back in a tired old overstuffed easy chair with a glass of good whiskey and "the book." The wood stove hisses and crackles as it comes back to life, taking the chill off the late evening air. The smell of wood smoke, mixed with stiff alcohol and Hoppe's No. 9 makes everything in the world right if only for a short time. The dull glow of the gas lantern paints the room, as the stories in the book bring the camp back to life. A tired Brittany lays at your feet, feeling the exhaustion that came with chasing grouse all day in the thick woods. It is times like this when a man is truly at peace in his world, and for the time being, all is well.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good read. This part made me laugh:

One of my parents' neighbors had pretty much quit hunting due to health issues in his late 60s, but bought a license and went to camp (Cameron/Potter county line area) with his bunch every year in buck seasons, mostly to cook, tend to chores and just hang out with his amigos.

Same old haggles about who would get the first buck, bets and lots of guff when they headed out Monday mornings.

One year the neighbor took the breakfast dish water out on the porch to toss it, saw a nice buck coming up through the woods towards camp in the driveway. Went back in, loaded a rifle, cracked the door a bit and dropped it right in the camp dooryard.

Dressed it, hoisted it on the meat pole and relaxed until the first few guys came back in for lunch. Said no one had shown up with a buck by that point and all had a great time the rest of the week giving him the bidness, over "the cook" shooting the first buck.

IIRC, he said the following year they joked about not leaving any firearms/ammo at camp when they headed out to hunt, so he couldn't whup 'em again, sittin' on his ass at camp while they hunted?

smirk

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
One camp that I went to had a rule. Person with the first Buck in camp became the cook. People were hiding out on the edge of camp waiting for someone else to drag one in. grin

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dad did most of the cooking in our camp. Not because he drew the short straw or anything like that. He was just a darned good cook. My brother took over the cooking duties and is legendary for his fish fry on the weekend prior to the opener. He fishes Lake Erie for jumbo perch and walleye all summer, and we get any where from 20 to 45 people visiting camp for "the fry". All the neighboring camps come-it's turned into quite the gathering.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The Sandy Township Volunteer Fire Department based in Sabula, Pa. always used to run a pancake breakfast on the Sunday prior to the opener as a fundraiser. They'd have the breakfast, and then they'd sell home made pies too. It was a great way to commune with the fellow hunters. Another popular festivity on the weekend prior to the opener was the annual pilgrimage to Grice's Gun Shop in Clearfield, Pa. If you were lucky, you'd find a parking spot within a block of the store, but don't dare miss this trip. 'Might put a hex on the whole hunt if you didn't show up there! The knife guy would be set up in the parking lot and I swear he could put a razor edge on a golf club if you asked him to.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Once you got close to I80 pancake breakfasts were common in many of the small fire halls. Good times.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One camp that I went to had a rule. Person with the first Buck in camp became the cook. People were hiding out on the edge of camp waiting for someone else to drag one in.

Good one! grin

Not a rule, but for many years when there were three or four of us at deer camp, first successful hunter coughed up a backstrap for supper. Quite a few years that was the same buddy and he never minded being the "goat".

Neither did the rest of us, since he sliced it into fillets, marinated them in Italian dressing a bit, then did them on the grill outside. Sure beat the hell outta leftover spaghetti or hot dogs? ;O)

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Dad did most of the cooking in our camp. Not because he drew the short straw or anything like that. He was just a darned good cook. My brother took over the cooking duties and is legendary for his fish fry on the weekend prior to the opener. He fishes Lake Erie for jumbo perch and walleye all summer, and we get any where from 20 to 45 people visiting camp for "the fry". All the neighboring camps come-it's turned into quite the gathering.

This would be a hoot! Man...I need a deer camp frown

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
at our camp now with the early archery season, and inline season, we have a rule that when someone shoots the first deer we can it or freeze it for all of our meals in the rifle season. it works out very well.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by battue
One camp that I went to had a rule. Person with the first Buck in camp became the cook. People were hiding out on the edge of camp waiting for someone else to drag one in. grin

I'll tell ya what... I could do mighty fine not setting foot in the woods. Just chillin and being the camp cook. It would suit me just fine. I'm more relaxed at camp than any other place in the world, so I'm cool with being the cook.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The knife guy would be set up in the parking lot and I swear he could put a razor edge on a golf club if you asked him to.

Northern_dave was at Grice's with you guys?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I'll tell ya what... I could do mighty fine not setting foot in the woods. Just chillin and being the camp cook. It would suit me just fine. I'm more relaxed at camp than any other place in the world, so I'm cool with being the cook.

Back then they were a pretty roudy crew. The wood was the place to relax.

Remember when one of them took a chain saw to an old couch and then pitched the parts into the fireplace. Fire was blazing up the stone wall and it was a little smokey. Damn nice camp also.

Today things are different. Time has smoothed off most of the rough edges.

Last edited by battue; 03/27/14.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That camp was located on private ground that is pretty much surrounded by a State Forest and there are two other camps. The one being about a quarter mile away and the other further. Sits in the bottom of a big valley with 7 hollows feeding down to it.

One night during Deer season a big snow storm came in. Someone looked out and here came a fellow from the other camp dragging a Deer past camp in the dark. They went out and looked at his Deer then invited him in for a celebratory drink. Turns out he had way more than a couple and all were having a great time.

My Step Dad who was no young Buck decided to have a little fun, didn�t tell anyone, left camp and hid the fellows Buck that was out front and put it in the barn. People tracks were all over the yard so none could trace his track. What he didn�t know was that his Son had seen what he was doing. The rest of us were clueless.

Finally the fellow said he was going to head on out to his camp. But when he went out his Deer was gone. All went out looking around but no Deer was to be found. Finally the fellow got it into his mind that we got him in there, fed in drinks and then stole his Deer. It was getting to the point of yelling when my Step Dad said enough is enough and took the fellow to the barn to get his Deer. Thing was his son had went out and moved the Deer again without telling his Dad. When no Deer was to be found in the barn it got hot again. Finally my Step Brother ended the game and went out and drug the Deer out of the woods and into camp.

The guy didn�t believe they were just having fun and started to wobbly drag his Deer to his camp, all the while bitching. The guys decided he needed help so a couple went out, took the rope and made sure he and Deer made it safe back to camp.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Great stories! This is just the kind of stuff that makes deer camp special. There was a little camp down at the bottom of our hill that got pretty run down. The adjoining farm bought it cheap, and converted it to a horse shed. There had been an old moth eaten 8 point buck head mounted on the porch. When they turned the horses loose in that lot, they were spooked by that deer head and wouldn't go near it, so it ended up out on the roadside for the garbage man to pick up. Not wanting to pass up a chance for a perfectly good gag, our guys spirited it up the mountain and hung it out behind the neighbor's camp, looking like a buck peeking out from behind a tree. You could have started a lead mine with all the slugs they flung at that buck first morning. They had a pretty good idea who put it there, because it mysteriously showed up in our outhouse the next morning. Scared the crap out of one of our guys who was going out for his morning constitutional. In the end, a good laugh was had by all.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There are more and they are the stuff of legend.

That camp was started back around 1916 by a bunch of young Bucks who where labors and a few went out on their own and made it big in home building and commercial construction. They also made a few of their friends wealthy on their coattails. Electricians, plumbers, roofing, heating, air conditioning, etc. They grew up in a time when they more or less made their own rules and did it their way. Eventually a few of them became connected in politics.

A local stream runs right past the camp about 100yards away. On their side they own it. On the other is State Forest. So they decided to build a real nice wooden bridge across the run. Problem was it ended on State land. There was also a designated State trail that came off the mountain down to the run. Hikers often would use the bridge and cross over onto their land and then back onto State land. They could care less and if any were in camp they were welcomed to dinner and friendship.

Problems arose when some gal who worked for the State found out about the tiny bridge. She got in touch with one of the members and told them they had to take it down. They tried to reason with her, but to no avail. Finally one day they came up to camp and it was cut down on the State side. No big deal they just rebuilt it.

Another phone call and this time they had a choice to either take it down or be levied a significant fine. The old Chiefs got together and called her back along with informing her it wouldn't be wise to pursue it further. She wouldn't back down. Then the phone calls went out to the politicians. She was transferred and the bridge is still there.

Another time a fellow left to go and use the outhouse. After a while someone asked where he went. They went looking and he was dead of a heart attack sitting on the john. The Chiefs again had a pow-wow and decided the camp didn't need and investigation into someone dying at camp during Deer season.

One of the members and his buds had all driven up together in a little motor home. Another of the members was an old time M.D. They all knew each other well along with the wives. So they tucked the dead member into the bed of the motor home and headed back home. Story was on the way home he wasn't feeling all that well and decided to lay down, and when they arrived home they found him dead. Doc ----- who is now gone on himself, signed the death certificate as apparent heart attack on the way home. He was buried and that was the end of it.

They were old-old school and their likes may never be seen again.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The camp back in the middle 70s along with two of the old Chiefs who are now gone.

[Linked Image]

The place looks different now in that it has been rebuilt, but one of the finest settings for a Pa Deer camp.

And when a member dies, the other members all go to the funeral. After the preacher is done the members all stand and sing "When the roll is called up younder." There are damn few dry eyes in the church.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Once you got close to I80 pancake breakfasts were common in many of the small fire halls. Good times.

Still are, my favorite is the one in Rockton. They serve family style on real plates with real utensils. Sykesville Lions club used to serve over 7000 meals the weekend before buck season. That's how they funded and built the 'town hall'. Numbers have dropped now that the Pittsburgh area hunters either stay home to hunt or don't travel 119 but they still do alright.

Knew a guy who had a camp on top of Boone Mountain, right at the head of PeteBuck Hollow, his favorite line was about the the buck that trotted through the yard, so he took two quick shots but the buck ran off before he could find his rifle and ammo. grin

Dale

This space for rent

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For those old school members whose stories are still being told around the camps.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sykesville was one of the best back when.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dale K

Still are, my favorite is the one in Rockton. They serve family style on real plates with real utensils. Sykesville Lions club used to serve over 7000 meals the weekend before buck season. That's how they funded and built the 'town hall'. Numbers have dropped now that the Pittsburgh area hunters either stay home to hunt or don't travel 119 but they still do alright.

Knew a guy who had a camp on top of Boone Mountain, right at the head of PeteBuck Hollow, his favorite line was about the the buck that trotted through the yard, so he took two quick shots but the buck ran off before he could find his rifle and ammo. grin

Dale
Dale-I know Pete Buck Hollow well. I've hunted up there many times.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I never hunted deer there but did some drives for bear, it's mighty thick stuff. Also hiked and camped the Hollow some with the Scouts.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You ain't kidding about it being thick up there, man! I've had deer withing 20 yards of me up there that I've never even seen! They stick to that brush like glue! I always wanted to go back up there during ML season and see if I could sneak up on one in that thick schidt.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Need more diary stories. In a different camp with Dad and Uncle Herman before I was hatched.

Dad had a brand new pre 64 Model 70 and shoots a Deer with it. Unc really likes it and asks if he can use it the next day. No problem.

Unc takes it out a shoots another Deer. Delima was he forgot his drag rope. Necessity sits in and he uses the sling to drag the Deer. Delima number two was carrying the rifle. Solution: Stick the rifle in the Deers belly and make it back to camp.

Later on that evening Dad asks where is his rifle and Unc gets a [bleep] look on his face and goes outside. It is still in the Deers belly all frozen over with blood, fat and knowing how Unc gutted his Deer, probable a turd or two. He also dinged the barrel on a rock.

They remained the best of friends and hunted together until the end.

Last edited by battue; 03/29/14.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
OUTSTANDING!! laugh laugh laugh. Love to hear more...please?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Trout fishing has always been a favored summer past time up at our camp. We have two trout streams within walking distance of the camp. Both hold native brookies and some stocked rainbows and browns in the creek on Mountian Run Road. (I'm sure Dale K knows where Mountain Run Road is.) There are many posting in the books of the guys taking 35-50 trout in a weekend. These are small native fish-a 10 incher would have been a good sized one. Gutted, beheaded and fried in a skillet with melted butter, there's scarcely a better fish dinner to be had.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Great thread, me and another buddie have told of the long lines at the pay phone the night after opening day, when I was young, the guys in camp now in there 30s never have heard of that!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I could write a whole book about the guns that saw useage at our camp. Over all the years, the venerable Remington pumps never found their way onto our gun rack. Semi-autos were illegal, so most of the stuff was bolt actions or lever guns. Initially, military surplus Springfields, Mausers, and even an Arisaka spent time in our camp. Early on, our members started switching over to Remington and Winchester bolts, of course some Marlin and Winchester levers, and for a couple members, the love affair with the Savage 99 started. I can't find many pictures from back then, but in the two I'm familiar with, it appears that every gun wearing a scope has a Weaver K-4 on it. My dad's 99 is in the possession of my brother. I am the owner of Bob Gamble's 99. Both wear Weavers. Bud Streit hunted with a 721 chambered for .270. Dad always used to give him a hard time about hunting with a "little bulllet." Dad and Bud were the two most successful hunters in our group. I believe Dad killed one more deer than Bud did, but Bud had some impressive long range kills, especially considering he was using a K-4 for a scope.

Hunting was very good right out the door of the cabin, but many of our guys went up on top of Boone Mountain to hunt. 4 wheel drive vehicles were a luxury not afforded by our guys back then, so you were limited by the road and trail conditions as to how far you could drive in. The top of our mountain is criss crossed with gas lines, and lots of long range opportunities. Bud shot deer up there in excess of 300 yards on quite a few opportunities. Dad used to like a spot called the Big Timber, which is in property now owned by Treasure Lake, a timeshare community. It had been the sight of a turn of the century logging camp with a narrow gauge railway to haul out the wood. I've been back in there once, and I can't imagine dragging a deer out of there. It would have been an all day job just to get back to the trail head. Others spots that "locals" (Dale K) might recognize are Spike's Rock, the Devil's Playground-a boulder strewn slide patch from the Ice Ages, and the Bish Flats-an old homestead up on top of Boone Mountain by the old Fire Tower sight. There's several rock walls, the building sights from a small settlement there, and a small cemetery. There's a big blueberry patch up there we go pick in. 'Walked right up on a snoozing black bear in there one time. It had apparently gorged itself on blueberries and laid down for a little siesta. We quietly backed out and left the berries to him. 'Never went up there to pick again without a 12 ga. and a full magazine of 00 buck.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
From the first camp I mentioned:

One of the guys was responsible for doing the grocery shopping and bring up most of the essential food for a week. The final drive to camp up one part of the mountain is steep and with a lot of curves as it made its way to the flats on top. Nothing but air, rocks and trees on the downhill side along with isolation.

It snowed bad the night before and it was wise to hug the hillside of the rocky mountain road. Most pick-ups didn't have a cap back in those days so a tarp or something similar was used to keep things inside.

Anyway a few trucks of guys left at the same time and were following each other. Except some went their separate ways on the way up. Perhaps Grises or one of the joints up North to have a beer. The guy with the food made his run straight to camp. Problem was on one of the steep parts-on the climb up the dirt road mountain to camp-he started to slip backward. Made it to the hill side, but the truck ran up it and flipped onto its side and out went all the food on a downhill road ride. I didn't see it, but the story is the stuff that would roll went a looooong way.

Later here come the followers and they are eventually met with food on the road. Hmmmmm. Then more food, more hmmmm, then Ralphs truck turned on its side with Ralph sitting by a little fire keeping warm.

They got him right side up, got the food back as best they could, headed to camp and went Deer hunting for a week.

Addition: forgot, haven't been up to that camp in awhile, but ran into one of the members the other day. He said Ralph is now in his early 90s, but still makes it up to camp for the opener.

Last edited by battue; 03/30/14.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Same camp:

One of the guests decided to bring live chickens to camp to eat. Rhode Island Reds they were. Why? I don't know, just bat chit crazy stuff.

Anyway the run downhill to camp is kinda steep also and he goes into the ditch about a 3/4 from camp due to the snow. No problem, walk to camp and the boys will get you out. Probably not till Sunday AM. Gear is no problem in that Deer doesn't start till Monday, but he decides to take the Chickens and starts walking down trying to carry two crates. Finally after falling numerous times he says the hell with it and turns them loose.

You ever reach your stand before daylight in the middle of the Cameron co big woods and hear Chickens crowing all over the mountain side? grin

I can tell you this for sure; a .30-06 and even a .270W is more than enough for a Rhode Island Red.

Last edited by battue; 03/30/14.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
(I'm sure Dale K knows where Mountain Run Road is.)

Since I spent 22 years with a Scout troop in DuBois and Scout Camp is on Mt Run Road, I can drive that sucker with my eyes closed. Even the Devils Elbow. grin

Can't say I've heard of most of the areas you mention, but maybe we can hunt some of them this year if you make it in and I have enough vacation time.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dale-I do most of my hunting right out the back door of the camp on Finley Hollow. We usually late 'till mid week to go up on top of Boone, as the opening day traffic thins out a bit up there. Spike's Rock is off the main gasline up there, and a good spot. The Bish Flats are on the far side of the trail across the top of the hill by the old Fire Tower. I've got some good areas down by the Boy Scout Camp too. The Devil's Playground area is on the road that crosses Rattlesnake Hollow on the back side of Boone,heading over to the Brockway Reservoirs. Dad and the guys knew the whole mountain very well. The Stitt boys from the camp next door used to hunt up on the main gas line. The last time I was up there, they were putting in new wells all over the place. Lots of new trails to explore. I'm guessing it's pretty busy up there on Monday morning.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Another entry:

Dec. 22, 1968.

Bert, Corley Fox, Grubb here for last day doe season. Fox and Grubb killed does Sat. a.m. left Sun. 11 a.m.

Grubb

At the time, doe tags were easy to get. Antlerless season was done after 2 weeks of buck season. Deer season in Pa. always started the Monday after Thanksgiving, and ran for two weeks,with no hunting on Sunday. Antlerless came in the following Monday and ran for 2-3 days, occasionally longer. Pa. changed it's rules regarding doe tags and they eventually became much harder for non residents to get. Only one of our guys actually lived in Pa. All the others including my father were from Ohio. Doe tags were to become a highly coveted prize.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Wow this is great stuff.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
One time another Unc (George) and his camp:

I'm about 18 and Unc says let's drive down to the bar and get something to eat. Ok with me naturally and off we go. Walk in and sit down at the bar and order. A guy off to our left is dressed in his Woolrich pants and is smashed and eventually goes into a little bathroom.

A little while later Unc gets up and goes into the leeetle bathroom and comes out laughing so hard he is almost crying. I ask what's up and he says that guy is in there really trying hard to take a crap.

Ok????? What's so funny???? Between tears Unc says, he still has his pants up.

Last edited by battue; 04/01/14.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Camp meat story.

One of the camp members was notorious for never knowing where he was in the woods. One afternoon he was out when he comes across a small doe which he puts down. It had started snowing hard so he dresses out the deer and heads back to camp. He see's a light in the window at camp and gets nervous because no one should be in camp that early. he finds a large hollowed out stump and stuffs the deer into it, then heads into camp.

He goes into the cabin and finds the rest of the crew had come in early because of the heavy snow. After telling them about the deer they head out to retrieve it. By then the snow has covered his tracks and the woods is full of large hollow stumps. They never did find the deer.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
There's an old homestead up on top of our mountain called the Bish Fields, Bishfield Place, or the Bish Flats depending on who you talk to. Dad was back in there hunting one time and found a big bear trap. He put it up on top of a stump with plans on hauling it out on the hike out of the woods. He never found it again. It may still be back there somewhere.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Our guys were legendary for the classic snipe hunt. I can't even tell you how many "newbies" found themselves back on the end of some logging road, bent over holding a burlap sack and blowing a whistle waiting for the snipe to be driven to them. And before you ask, no I never fell victim to this prank. I'd heard about it before my dad tried to convince me I HAD to do it. I went along, but double timed it back to the truck and was standing there waiting on the guys when they showed up,convinced that I would be several hours late walking back to camp.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There are more, and same of them I can't tell, but another: How they used to get to camp.

The oldtimers would wait for the train in Homewood and it would take them and their gear up to Sinnamahoning and drop them off. Years previously that had cut a path up over the mountain for a couple miles to the flats. Then a couple more across the top, then a mile or so down into camp. Every year the path needed cleared of downed trees and chain saws had yet to be invented. The State owned the land and could care less.

A farmer would meet them in Sinnamahoning with a wagon team of mules and they would load up their gear and make the ride into camp. Two weeks later he would ride into camp, they would load up again for the trip back to Sinnamahoning and wait along the tracks for the train to come and take them home.

A trip to camp during small game or for fishing was a repeat.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Back in the 20's the original founders of our camp, my buddy's grandfather, uncle and their friends came in on a railroad handcar using an old logging spur and tent camped. Eventually the state put some of the forest land up for sale and they bought the 80 acres that comprises the camp.

Today we're sitting in the Flambeau State Forest.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
There are more, and same of them I can't tell, but another: How they used to get to camp.

The oldtimers would wait for the train in Homewood and it would take them and their gear up to Sinnamahoning and drop them off. Years previously that had cut a path up over the mountain for a couple miles to the flats. Then a couple more across the top, then a mile or so down into camp. Every year the path needed cleared of downed trees and chain saws had yet to be invented. The State owned the land and could care less.

A farmer would meet them in Sinnamahoning with a wagon team of mules and they would load up their gear and make the ride into camp. Two weeks later he would ride into camp, they would load up again for the trip back to Sinnamahoning and wait along the tracks for the train to come and take them home.

A trip to camp during small game or for fishing was a repeat.
Boy guys, this sounds familiar! Dad used to talk about a camp his dad was a part of up along Lake Erie somwhere over towards New York. They'd take the train in as close as they could get and then pay a teamster to take them the rest of the way in by horse and wagon. Dad couldn't tell me a whole lot about the camp, just that deer were very scarce, and if they found a track, they'd camp out on it overnight if necessary to catch up with it next day. The weapons were double barrel shotguns and black powder guns.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A couple of months ago, there was an article in the Pa. Game News about hunters traveling from the Pittsburgh area to the Medix Run area circa 1920. They caught a train from Pittsburgh to DuBois on Saturday then took the Hunters Special train from DuBois, through Sabula and Penfield and on toward Medix on Sunday. The train stopped just about anywhere to let guys and their gear off. The authors crew got off at Medix and hiked up and over the mountain top to their camp near the headwaters of some of the streams on the Clearfield side of the mountain. Some farmer had hauled their food in from that side.

I wondered why they didn't come in from that side too, then I realized that to get from Pittsburgh to Clearfield by train would mean traveling way east then coming back north and west. Pgh. to DuBois and Medix was a much shorter route and time.

Dale

This space for rent

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Told this one here before, but now is a good time to repeat it.

The above mentioned camp was and is isolated. Not sure how it all came about, but after they built it a fellow lived in it year round. Pretty much existed on Deer, small game, fish and his vegetable garden. The winters can get hard up in that country.

He died a long time before I every went there, but the only name I've ever heard him called by was "Squirrel." The camp members pretty much took care of his clothing needs.

Anyway, Squirrel always had a Dog and if by chance he needed anything in Sinnamahoning he would walk into the little town-an honest 8-10miles-and his Dog would go with him.

Once Squirrel got sicker than just the common sick and knew he needed help. So he tied a note to the Dogs collar and told him to go to town. The Dog did as he was told and showed up at either the gas station, post office or little general store. The gas station and general store were probably one in the same. Someone noticed the note and they came and got Squirrel and got him to medical care. When he recovered, he went back to camp.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
There's no such thing as "ugly" country in Pennsylvania, but that Sinnemahoning area is really beautiful. I've hunted out of a camp up there for ML season and turkey. All I remember is we came up out of Sinnemahoning along some stream till we topped out on a mountain where one little group of camps set. We hunted the top of the hill and it was beautiful country. Man, it must have been remote before they punched some of the road through there.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
and don't forget how beautiful the bar is at "The Willows"!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The UP of MI has/had some great camps. We need some Michiganders to jump in here and tell us about their camps.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I grew up on those stories of the olden times in Potter Co. PA, listening to the kin folks. Deer were scarce in the old days and if a track was struck and someone had the time, they followed it. Sometimes over night, if they had packed a tarp along for shelter, blankets and sandwiches.

Many of those older tales took place not long after WWI, for a time frame reference. Some of the family lore was even older than that. And most involved hunters coming up from the city, with the kinfolks serving as guides or at least lending a hand in hunts for a few dollars. Similar details like hunters coming up on trains, then someone local picking them up in horse drawn wagons or buggies.

Puts things into perspective on the amount of effort required back then, just to hunt in the rural north central mountains of PA and I suspect, in many other states, prior to reliable automobiles and good roads.

One of my favorite family stories involved my paternal grandfather and his brother, both born in the 1880s. Never knew that grandfather, he died many years before I was born.

Predated WWI and involved them live-trapping a bear (no easy feat and I suspect, highly illegal), hauling it on the back of a wagon in a wooden cage, then letting it loose for some city boys to shoot at, who had paid for the endeavor upon getting a look at the caged bear.

One year while hauling the bear out predawn to where they intended to release it, the bear got to causing a ruckus on the back of the wagon, spooked the horses to the point they ran and the wagon flipped, throwing all onto the ground.

Gramps got hurt, wagon got busted up, the bear escaped and they wound up having to refund the city boys' money. IIRC, that finally ended the annual caged bear efforts on the part of gramps and his bro?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by admin100
and don't forget how beautiful the bar is at "The Willows"!

Ah the Willows. For some reason the guys in that camp now call it "One Eyes".

Another tale involved the willows and a fellow that happens to live about 4 houses down from me. He didn't hunt, but often would go to camp for a couple days.

Anyway, after a couple days some of the crew decided to go down off the mountain and visit the Whillows. The place was jumping and the bar maid was a well endowed lady. They were almost out and the top buttons were unhitched.

One of the guys mentioned that he would surely like to see her hooters and Andy said no problem and asked her to lean over the bar. She did, and he had his knife in hand and reached up and sliced her bra and out they flopped.

Alcohol was definitely a contributing factor, but she took it all in stride. Nobody got the boot and the party went on.

Last edited by battue; 04/02/14.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Head up 66N and you will pass some classic Pa Deer Bars:

Volwinkles
Vinces
The Bucktail
Kellys Hotel
The Bird Cage in Kane. Now gone.

Shot a Bear up there many years back and after spending 5 or 6 hours getting him out we stopped at Kellys for a celebration drink. Problem was I couldn't buy one, in that what seemed half the town insisted they buy one for me. grin

That was during the time when around 300 Bears a year were taken in Pa. Now it is 3000 plus.

Last edited by battue; 04/02/14.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Where are the camps from other states? Permanent or tent, there has to be some great experiences out there that others would like to hear.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Jeff (Gophergunner)...

Dale K. told me about you starting this thread... so I looked it up and found it. I copied the net address and sent it to Harry via email with the suggestion he also start a similar diary (as you suggested) for his cozy camp up on the mountain near Parker Dam in the Moshannon State Forest north-east of DuBois and east of Penfield.

As soon as I finish this post, I'm gonna go back and read all the posts on this thread. I sincerely hope your "heart issues" will be solved and you eventually are able to get back to your Dad's old camp and enjoy it with your son.

It was good chatting with you via email... smile

Strength & Honor... Yer "bud"... grin

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I really should put these stories to print some time. It's a really good read.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I really should put these stories to print some time. It's a really good read.

Yep... it was a "good read"... and you definitely have a talent for writing the stories in an interesting way, too, Jeff.

Ron

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Some pics of my 1st yr of my deer cabin. We use it for fishing , and to get away. Used top snowmobile too. My 1st grouse at the cabin, my 1st deer there and us building it. We framed it in a weekend.[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by ihookem; 04/07/14.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nice pics. Looks like a good sized cabin. That's a big deer too.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The picture of the wall raising, makes me want to build another camp. When i along with two cousins, built ours, it was a fun filled time. Even the hospital trip following "The Air Nailer Accident" When i managed to attach my finger to the wall. It was enjoyable shooting from the hip and building it however you wanted, no plans, time frame, ect, ect. Beg, borrow, and trade, for the items that you needed for the next weekend. Our camp is far from perfect, but the stories, and memories are priceless.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Another story from the history of our camp:

Back in the late 40's when the guys started hunting in Central Pa. there was an oil well and pump up on our mountain. It was one of those great big one lunger engines with a long stroke and a huge flywheel that ran off the crude it was pumping. It was a popular spot for the guys to hunt up to, as it was manned by a mechanic who always had a pot of coffee on, and was friendly to all the hunters. Dad said he'd hunt his way up there, and if he hadn't shot a deer by the time he got there, he'd have lunch with the guy, and then still hunt back to camp. I walked up to it one time, and sadly it was all gone except the remains of the shed and a little oil stove. The engine had been pulled, and the well shaft was sitting there uncapped. You could look down the shaft with a light and see water in the shaft, and smell that Pennsylvania crude oil. Times sure have changed.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Head up 66N and you will pass some classic Pa Deer Bars:

Volwinkles
Vinces
The Bucktail
Kellys Hotel
The Bird Cage in Kane. Now gone.

Several of these are familiar. Sure miss getting down that way.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Nice pics. Looks like a good sized cabin. That's a big deer too.

24x24 cabin with a loft. That deer was a freak of some sort. When I hung in in the garage it stretched from the 8' ceiling to the floor. Very long legs. My first big eoods buck and first bow buck, 1989.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yup. We have a camp up ear fryburg, pa. Been keeping a log since 1979. Some funny stuff. It's a hoot to take to the outhouse with you and read a few of the old stories. I actually attempted to type the whole thing (well, there's 5 log books now); it's a lot of work trying to decipher everyone's writing.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I didn't have the opportunity to really start deer hunting until I was a freshman in high school. One of my school chum's mother still had their family place in the hill country. We simply stayed in the old rock ranch house. He still lives there in the house and we are still close friends. The old house was moved from down in the Colorado river valley in the 30's when lake Travis was being built.

My dad's dad was a fairly notorious poacher during the depression in south Texas. But it was to put food on the table thing there in the "Blackjacks".. He didn't even own a rifle. They were pretty damn poor. But they always had a garden and a hog. He would borrow a 30-30 from a neighbor when grandma told him they needed meat. He would generally hunt on a moon light night up in a blackjack oak and shoot a deer when it came to eat acorns.

The game warden would put up an obligatory effort to catch him. Band my grandmother would laugh as she told me that warden usually did show up Sunday afternoon about grocery time. My grandmother was a local legend when it came to baked goods. Pies,doughnuts, etc. Naturally he whole process of cat and mouse would repeat itself in a week or two. But that warden knew that grandpa as well as others in the area were only trying to keep from starving. They never made game hogs of themselves. They took only what they needed.

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I know many dirt poor Pennsylvania hillbillies that do the same thing, and still go through the same tap dance with the game wardens.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I know many dirt poor Pennsylvania hillbillies that do the same thing, and still go through the same tap dance with the game wardens.

Yeah! Grandma stated the warden would show up and eat a lunch of deer. Same deer he was trying to catch grandpa with the evening before.

My buddy I mentioned above who I hunted with up at the old family place, well his mom told us a similar story from their old place. Seems his grandpa had shot a doe one evening and had it hanging down in an old shed by the county road. It was prolly 2:30 in the morning and he was skinning it when a car drove up. Naturally the old man thought it was the warden. Turned out it was his son who had just won the car in a crap game at Ft. Hood! This was like 1943. So he sees the light in the shed starts walking toward it. Light goes out. Grandpa comes walking out. Uncle Gordon asked "what ya doing?" Grandpa answers "oh nuthin!" LOL !!! Just walking around at 2:30 a. m. !

That was uncle Gordon's last trip home. He was killed in the Po valley by German artillery.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 04/14/14.

Founder

WS

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Just found this thread. I hunted out of a camp in Centre County, Poe Paddy area. 1960s. 30 guys in camp, 25 man drives for 3 days. Nothing to see 50 deer per day and nothing bigger than 6" spikes. Usually 3-4 poker games going on at the big dinner table every evening, lots of whiskey, but everyone was clear-eyed and ready to hunt at 6am when the first drive left camp.

BTW, is this Willows you mention the bar/restaurant at the bottom of Wykoff Run? Spent a lot of time in that area in the '80s thru '07 when I retired. Worked for PennDOT and we had an operator training site in Piper, near the top of Wykoff. Had many meals and a few beers in that establishment.

Ron

NRA Endowment member and proud of it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That would be it. The camp I went to was off Cooks Run. A little past Sinnamahoning you made a left and went up Montour Rd, then ran the top and then dropped off and down onto Cooks Run.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Just happened to look over this thread.. Great reading.. Haven't had the chance to read all of it yet, but will do soon..
Ah! The Willows!! Was just in that placed in the last 10 mth.. Ask about an old fishing buddy there.. He is still alive, but doesn't spend much time in the Endless Mountains any more.. I suppose the first time I was in the Willows was considerably more than 50 years ago.. Also the old Keating Hotel.. Long gone now due to fire..
My Grandfather took the train to beyond Karthus with his hunting crew.. They were dropped off at Yost Run and picked up by a mountaineer and taken across the river for 2 weeks bear and deer hunting.. Later they had a mobile camp, and drove down the ridge on Yost Run and hunted there..
Many memories... Enjoyable reading..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That would be it. The camp I went to was off Cooks Run. A little past Sinnamahoning you made a left and went up Montour Rd, then ran the top and then dropped off and down onto Cooks Run.
Battue-I went to a friend's camp up above Sinnemahoning. Do you know that area? It was a long time ago, and I can't remember the name of his camp, but there was one by them called The Flying Dutchmen. They went up a road that climbed the mountain they were on and were near one of the many gas lines through that area. 'Wish I could remember exactly where up there. I turkey hunted and ML hunted once with 'em up there. A good bunch of guys.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Been awhile, but I think we passed the "Flying Dutchmen" on the way up on the flats where Montour runs kinda level. There is a gas line on the left side of Montour up on top that eventually shoots diagonally away from the road. Back then calling it a road was being generous.

Deer are down up there, but the Turkey hunting is good and the Grouse supposedly are rebounding. Mean to check it out this fall and will findout from a couple of the members if they are familiar with that camp.

Of course the "Flying Dutchmen" is a common camp name in Pa. Much like "Twin Pines".

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That sounds exactly like the area his camp was in. If memory serves me right, there was a little cluster of camps up in a "flats" area on top of the mountain. Sure sounds like the spot. Once again, if I remember right, we took a road that climbed out out of the bottom along a stream to the top of the hill where those cabins sat, and the pipeline was off to the left.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Gonna head up to the old ranch this morning to spend an evening with my old friend. Mebbe even visit the spot where I killed my first deer. If I can find it. Almost 45 years of cedar growth has really changed the lay of the land.

Stay in the old ranch house and swap stories of all the adventures of our youth. Might even rustle up a hog or two with the new model 64.

Founder

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back in the late 70s I received an old single shot 22 from a Potter Co. uncle, that my dad had given him in '41 when pop went in the Army. Knew that uncle had the rifle, but he never found it until he retired and they sold their house, moved to another place.

Thing looks like it led a hard life. Nothing but patina on the metal and the stock has several chunks gone from it, but with some repairs and TLC, it shoots just fine.

When I got it the rear sight was bent flat onto the barrel, so I asked unc HTH that had happened. Said that rifle was his "meat getter" during WWII (and I suspect, long after that). Recollected he had to throw it over a bank one night in the middle of nowhere, when a dep. game warden pulled in behind him.

IIRC, the old devil said it had taken him many weeks before he found the rifle in the brush. Long rumored in our clan that this particular uncle had been a dedicated deer poacher most of his life, but he never killed any more than they needed to eat, back in his younger days.

His son used to claim he'd never eaten beef until he'd graduated high school, left home and got married.

I got to hunt deer with that uncle many times after he retired and I went up to camp. He used to tell yarns about other family members and hunting companions from back in the old days and everyone but him did the "funny stuff" when it came to taking deer out of season, or doe in buck season.

Another uncle once told me that most of those deer camp yarns were autobiographical. I said yep, figured that part out long ago. ;o)

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my dad and his dad and brothers built my place in early 60's. 16x24 shack that has slowly evolved into a snug little cabin. no one thought to do a journal in the early days. i started one in the early 90's with just my hunting exploits. about 8 years ago i started a detailed journal. food eaten, fish caught, game taken, weather, etc. i do it for my kids mostly. someday i hope they flip through it and remember all the good times we've had there. i do most of the entries after a few (many) brews so some of the writing is a little lopsided.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Another entry from the book:

December 9th, 1966

Arrived Friday evening of the 9th for last day of buck and doe season. Shot doe back at Finley Hollow at 11 a.m. on Tuesday the 13th with the 11th shot of the day. Tues. is the thirteenth and the doe was the thirteenth deer seen. Left camp in the afternoon. The fellow in the Dailey camp hit a deer with his car last night.

Bert

Bert, like my dad was a carpenter. Not one of the marksmen of our group, but he seemed to get his fair share of deer. Finley Hollow lies right behind our camp and is a very good hunting spot. I've taken a lot of deer back there, including my first. The Dailey camp sits down at the bottom of the hill near us. If our guys shot a deer down low on the hill, they'd drag it into their camp and walk up the road to ours to get a vehicle to go get the deer. It just was much easier than dragging the deer up half the mountain to get to our camp. Personally, I did most of my hunting above the camp, though many of our guys liked hunting the thick pines down along the bottom by Dailey's.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Card games with the neighbors were always a highlight of deer season. The Stitt boys in Camp Bozo always had a game going. Many a night was spent at the table, next to the fireplace playing nickle-dime-quarter games. The Steelers always seemed to be televised every year up there, and if they happened to be playing Cleveland that weekend,nobody missed the game.

Man, did we eat good back in those days too. Homemade venison sausages, steaks, you name it, we had it. There was always a case of Iron City or I.C. Light opened, and a bottle or two of whiskey making the rounds.

One constant, was always the camaraderie that comes from getting together once or twice a year with good friends. Sadly, Camp Bozo has been sold now, and our camp is down to just me and my brother, and fading fast. The Old Guard, as we like to call the original members of our camp, and the Bozo boys have all climbed the hill for the last time.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well there's a "name" I hadn't heard in years: Iron City beer.

Maybe 30 years ago a tenant gave me two cases of IC left over from a "moving in" party. IIRC, took me six months to finally give the last of it away?

grin

Great stories, enjoying the hell out of reading them.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've drank a bunch of Iron City always thought it was pretty good back inthe 60's trhen it just kind of disappeared locally. I have seen IC Light but never tried it. I can remember dad drinking Burger too. It was pretty good til the middle 70's and seemed to kind of go down in quality. Heck in the 60's we named our out of the way party spot Burger Rock. Thanks for the memories
Bill

You do not have to have had a psychotic episode to work here, it just saves time!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Carling's Black Label, Genesee Cream Ale, Duquense, a few more choice beverages from day's of yore.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How many bars sold a Bucket of Rocks? Small pail of crushed ice with Rolling Rock pony bottles.

When I guzzled beer, it was usually Schlitz, Miller HL, or some PBRs. Then I started drinkin' Miller Lite and everything went straight to hail.

smirk

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Back from my trip to the old hunting field. The place has really changed a bunch in the past 40 years. Found the location of the old log/ board and bat cabin we built when we were in hi-school, 1973. This is all that's left.

[Linked Image]

Went down on the creek and was thankful these old giant cypress trees have survived 3 years of drought. Actually the whole creek bottom was green. Jumped 3 pigs down there. Tried to shoot thru the thick cedars but just. Odnt get then 30-30 bullets to connect.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Was a good visit! Last evening was nice and the whippoorwills sang us to sleep

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Few more;

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pics don't do these old trees justice! They are gorgeous.

Founder

WS

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
DubePA,

Rolling Rock Pony bottles. 7 ounces if I remember correctly.

My first taste of beer was a RR pony on my great-uncle's houseboat when I was about 10 years old. I talked him into taking me fishing with him that day. In my haste to get my rods and tackle box from my Grandpa's nearby house I didn't grab any snacks or soda. After a couple hours I was hungry and thirsty. I asked Uncle John if he had any soda or snacks. In his gruff, Camel cigarette-gravelly voice he told me there was a sack of peaches in the cooler and some Rolling Rock beer in there also. If that didn't suit me I out of luck.

Well, I was hungry and the peaches were as juicy and sweet as only fresh-picked peaches can be. I tried to subsist on ice cubes for a while but finally gave in and tried a pony bottle of Rolling Rock. It was cold, although I remember not as sweet as Moxie, my favorite soda back then. Anyway, evidently I drank more than one because I ended up falling asleep in the cabin of the houseboat and not waking up until later that evening at Grandpa's house. Come to find out, according to Grandpa, Uncle John said I drank 4 pony bottles of Rolling Rock before "hitting the sack" as it were. He carried me up the bank from the Susquehanna River and into the house and I never awoke or came to, whichever best explains my condition. Years later Uncle John told me I made it deeper into his stash of RR than his 3 sons had on their first dips into the cooler on his boat. Evidently I had passed some strange "rite of passage" in Uncle John's world.

Still order a Rolling Rock on occasion just for remembrance of a gruff, no nonsense, suck it up old man who always seemed to have room in his boat for a kid who always wanted to go fishing. Without ever explaining it to me, he taught me the responsibility of sharing the outdoors with the youngsters who thirst for that experience. There will always be room in my boat or camp for a youngster.

Sorry for the long story. I had just wanted to mention the intro to Rolling Rock but the story just seemed to unfold in my mind as I typed. I think I'm officially an "Old Fart" now.

Ron

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good story. Even if they'd have thrown the book at gramps these days. ;O)

My dad and grandpap used to let me have a little jigger of beer when I was a kid, but got my first buzz when I was around 12 or 13.

Friends of my parents invited us down for supper. The ol' boy had come here from Italy prior to WWI as a kid, served in the US Army during that war, fetched him back a French war bride afterwards. Those two always argued over who was the better cook, but either could put together a first class meal.

He quit hunting in his 60s, but always liked some venison or other game, if we coughed any up in his direction. He could make a tasty meal out of anything.

That night it was Italian cuisine and Tony insisted I have a small glass of wine. Dad thought the glass was too big, Tony insisted I was a big boy and could handle it.

Whoo whee! Got most of it down and the room began to move a bit, but I held my own and survived it. Thought I was pretty cool. Mom said I fell asleep in the back of the car about 15 minutes after we left and they had a helluva time waking me up when we got home.

smirk

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great story!!!! Uncle George did much the same with me in his little camp up in forest county.

12 years old and wrapped up the season with uncle Herman and Dad. Back at Uncs house he asked how many Rabbits I shot that year and I replied none. He said let's go, that won't do. He had a Cadillac with a set of steer horns on the hood. It was dark and out threw his field we went. Me straddling the horns with the shotgun unloaded and two shells in my hands. Him driving and Dad working the spotlight. Eventually a Rabbit was seen and the deed was done.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Battue,

I never heard of jack lighting rabbits before your story. That beats it all.

My Grandpa was born in 1900. He lived thru the depression, but even before that there was little money available. He told me stories of making carbide "depth charges" to stun suckers in Middle Creek during the spawning runs. He and his brothers would bring home baskets of suckers, clean them and then their mother would poach and debone the meat, can it and use it to make fish cakes throughout the year.

He never bought into the season/bag limits for fish or game because he was raised to seize the opportunity and take advantage of whatever was available. Bass in May, walleyes in March while fishing for bullheads, extra rabbits or pheasants when available, he took advantage of the situation. Wasn't right but I understand because he would remind me, when I complained about a meal, that when he was a kid he was often glad to have anything to eat, much less a favorite meal. I don't think those were "2 miles to school, uphill both ways" stories either. I believe he lived them.

Ron

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When I was young there were no deer to be hunted in Georgia. My dad and I small game hunted. Mainly squirrel with a .22 rifle. We got the occasional rabbit.
Deer were re-established in the 1960's and I got my first taste of deer hunting in 1974 when my now deceased friend invited me to join his deer lease hunting club in Green County, Georgia. November 15,1974 at the manly age of 33 I killed my first deer and got just completely immersed into the sport. Then you got two legal bucks limit and January first was the last day of the season and only on that day were doe legal to shoot if you had not gotten two bucks. Two deer per year limit.I also got a doe that year on January 1st. That day was also "family day" when the spouses and children were invited to hunt with you.
The club was comprised of some 600 acres, had 40 members and the culmination of the year was a dinner in late January at which time the largest buck was recognized with a trophy. I won that honor in 1977 with a large eight pointer.
I truly enjoyed the deer camp and made some long lasting friends there in the ten years I belonged to it.
There were some truly memorable times in all aspects. The Kenny Rogers movie "Coward of the county" was filed partially on club land and an adjoining land owner got a bit part in the movie and became good friends with Kenny Rogers who had a farm nearby.
We had visitors at the campfire one night and one of them turned out to be Kenny Rogers himself. He was a very nice person as I remember.
My friend moved out west and I eventually left the club in 1985.
I have belonged to several other leases since then but that was my introduction to deer clubs and deer hunting. I have very very fond memories of my experiences there. I regret not being exposed to this experience as a youngster.

Stan in SC

Last edited by Stan_in_SC; 04/20/14.

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I kept a personal diary of hunts in Callahan and Stephens county, mainly centered around activities with my growing boys. Diary went from 1988 until 2006 and spoke not only about the hunts, the harvests and the campfire food, but about building meat poles, out houses, turning a poly steel tent into a bunkhouse and an old catering trailer into a kitchen. Unfortunately, camp one year was vandalized and the sorry thiefs took the diary. Good news is they left behind my notebook which was a record book of all the games we played at camp, like dominos. I always wrote the date, temp, dinner menu, daily hunt details and card/board game score. Back then we were in a little pop up trailer and sat at a table after the evening hunt playing games warmed by a little electric heater.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Camp tradition:

In Uncle George's camp if the hunter saved his casing from a Deer they shot, they would drive the casing into a tree that grew in front of the camp.

The camp was sold years ago. Not sure if they continued doing so.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Any of our Pennsylvania brethern familiar with the tradition of the Deer Sinch? A Deer Sinch is a wrought iron rod with a loop on one end and a barbed point on the other end, and hangs on the walls of many a deer camp. The story goes, that one takes the Deer Sinch out in the woods the day before the opener, finds a nice buck, stuffs the point up the unfortunate deer's arse, hooks the loop over the end of a fence and, when he returns the next morning, it's a "sinch" to get a deer.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Naaaa, you are kidding. Right????. grin

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nopers, I'm serial as a heart attacky!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
....and I was joking. grin

It was a common piece of equipment found hanging on the walls of small sporting/hardware stores back then.

Wasn't a camp, but the home of Roy and Kate. Back in a bit, up in Tidioute. They were friends of my Mom and Dad and the first place I Deer hunted. Named my Daughter after Kate. She usually got a Deer every year and not infrequently when looking up from doing the dishes while the rest of us were climbing the hills. Shot a model 94 .32WS.

Wasn't rare back then to see 100 in a day up in that country. Often times on opening morning a string of 30-50 would walk by. Will never see it's like again.

Once we were up there and she looked out and a Squirrel was hanging on the side of a tree. Out came the .22lr. She went out, picked it up and it became part of dinner.

Last edited by battue; 04/21/14.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Turkeys back then were rare and to get one was an event. Those who consistently tagged one were local legends. Days of homemade box calls, wing bone calls, and a few slates. The Birds were also much more skittish than most of the ones we hunt today. They just didn't tolerate people all that much and where exclusively Birds of the Big Wood.

A spring season was yet to arrive and most more or less stumbled onto a Turkey.
The real Turkey hunters walked the fall woods, busted a flock and Kee-keed one back in.

If someone would have shot one with a traditional bow it probably would have been front page of the local paper.

Nobody thought about putting a scope sight on a shotgun. Pop-up blinds had yet to be thought of. Camo was your brown pants and jacket.

And in regards to the previous post, I was BSing. Herds of 80 plus were not uncommon. I just didn't want you to think I was BSing. A kid could get a lot of practice on placing the sights on a lot of Deer and calming themselves down for the shot. Just in case one was the spike or small four point. Although every year some giants made their last mistake up in that country and people would travel to see it.

Good times.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Any of you old time Pa. boys remember Rosie the Bear up around Warren and the half-Wolf cross breeds up around Kane? I never saw either but Mom, Dad and the Aunts and Uncles often would make the trip.

Probably not in that you would be pushing 100.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Never heard of Rosie, but the local hillbilly near our camp talked about a mountain lion he claimed to have seen and a raccoon he swears was 4 ft. tall at the shoulder.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I did see a white squirrel back in the woods behind camp one time. I thought about shooting it, but figured my 30-06 would probably ruin it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm just curious if guys in other areas of the country have heard of the deer sinch or if this is something unique to Penn's Woods?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Mountain Lion urban legend is big, yet close to 800,000 hunters out the first day, year after year, and nobody kills one. Hmmmm

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Saw this fellow twice last year. The second time at last light. Drifting across a strip field like a ghost.

Look hard: Head, horns, chest line, back line, hips, back legs.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Can't see 'em in that pic, Battue. Heck you could tell me it's bigfoot in a mini skirt and I don't think I'd find him through all that brush!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I'm just curious if guys in other areas of the country have heard of the deer sinch or if this is something unique to Penn's Woods?

Seen em around feed stores, and small gun shops back in the day. But haven't seen stuff like that in years. Used to see all forms of neat old stuff like horse shoe puzzles etc. freak mounts, cool old photos, back then. Seems like now a days that kind of stuff goes over the heads of the present generation.

Founder

WS

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Can't see 'em in that pic, Battue. Heck you could tell me it's bigfoot in a mini skirt and I don't think I'd find him through all that brush!

Look thru the brush, he's there. The brightest white in the center.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Battue! That's pretty cool! I see him!

Founder

WS

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
battue mentioned mountain lion in a post above. My home town is in west Georgia.The topography there is far from mountain lion country. Three or four years ago during a managed area hunt in muzzle loader season a guy shot and killed a rather large mountain lion. The feds and the state of Georgia staunchly maintain that there are NO mountain lions in the state however he saw and killed one and a big one at that.
There was an attempt by the feds to prosecute him for killing it.I never heard the outcome.
Point is you never know what you might see in the woods.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah-Minnesota DNR says the same thing. So I guess the one the police shot in BLOOMINGTON, a suburb of Minneapolis, was a figment of everyone's imagination. It was encountered along a trail in 9 Mile Creek Park and had to be shot-but we all know it never existed, as per the DNR......

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Some are attracted to exotic pets until they become inconvenient, and then perhaps there are some that have motives.

Naturally existing in the wild and escaping into the wild-or being purposefully placed there-are obviously different.

Last edited by battue; 04/24/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
lions range a long ways. could be if the state publicly says that yes there are lions in the state, they then have to "manage" them. no hunting seasons obviously, but studies and management plans have to be done, at quite an expense too. even if there are no resident populations and never will be. somethings are better left as it is. just my opinion.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Makes sense.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Stan_in_SC
battue mentioned mountain lion in a post above. My home town is in west Georgia.The topography there is far from mountain lion country. Three or four years ago during a managed area hunt in muzzle loader season a guy shot and killed a rather large mountain lion. The feds and the state of Georgia staunchly maintain that there are NO mountain lions in the state however he saw and killed one and a big one at that.
There was an attempt by the feds to prosecute him for killing it.I never heard the outcome.
Point is you never know what you might see in the woods.

Stan in SC

GA DNR came out and investigated, took blood and tissue samples of that cougar. They issued a statement that the animal's was in such great health and parasite free, that it HAD to have been a released illegal pet. That had been their story for over decade everytime someone reported spotting one. Then USFWS took the samples and did DNA. The cougar was a "panther", as in Florida panther. DNR, when forced to admit so, stated that their MIGHT be wild cougars/panthers/mountain lions in GA, and asked the public to refrain from shooting them. The guy was never prosecuted because, under GA law, an escaped non-native animal, be it an elk, emu, or lion, is legal to kill if you are legally hunting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw this fellow twice last year. The second time at last light. Drifting across a strip field like a ghost.

Look hard: Head, horns, chest line, back line, hips, back legs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks Scott.

I've showed it at work, and some can't put it together. This should do it.

Last edited by battue; 04/24/14.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I know it's been discussed before here, but no trip to deer camp is ever complete without a run over to Grice's Gun Shop in Clearfield. The weekend before the opener it's like a zoo over there. Parking is a relative term, and is done where ever you can find it. It's a good sized shop with a lot of used and new guns and supplies. The atmosphere is one of optimism as all the guys are chomping at the bit to hit the woods on Monday morning. The old knife guy is always set up out in the parking lot sharpening all the hunting blades. The line at the counters are long, but no one seems to mind. I'm sure this same scene is repeated in hundreds of little gun shops in all the little mountain towns throughout the state. It truly is a great time to be a hunter.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The day or weekend before isn't my favorite time to be in those shops. I try to have my gear ready befor then, but there's always something a guy needs. I usually head to fleet farm or capra's. The stores are abuzz with optimizim, coffee, and BS.

It's truly a great time of year, no matter the camp.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know it's been discussed before here, but no trip to deer camp is ever complete without a run over to Grice's Gun Shop in Clearfield. The weekend before the opener it's like a zoo over there. Parking is a relative term, and is done where ever you can find it. It's a good sized shop with a lot of used and new guns and supplies. The atmosphere is one of optimism as all the guys are chomping at the bit to hit the woods on Monday morning. The old knife guy is always set up out in the parking lot sharpening all the hunting blades. The line at the counters are long, but no one seems to mind. I'm sure this same scene is repeated in hundreds of little gun shops in all the little mountain towns throughout the state. It truly is a great time to be a hunter.

I long for the time of year but do not share your enthusiasm for visiting any of these places days, weeks or even months prior to hunting season. That's what this time of the year is for. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
With Grices, it really doesn't matter if you're a day, week or several months ahead, it's usually busy. That said, I made one trip over there a few years back because I discovered my rain pants were now fit for church,(ie, holey) and didn't think the crowd was bad at all. I've seen worse, especially for the shooters sale.

Can't recall seeing the knife guy either but I wouldn't have been looking for him, I sharpen my own.

Dale

This space for rent

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Wow, what a thread!
Growing up in PA going to camp with no electricity, outhouse, Coleman lanterns, and a cold running spring was living large!

Centre and Lycoming county line, camp founded by my dad's uncles before the depression using the old barn (and not a large one!). Farmland in that time cleared by German settlers that has now returned to deep pine forest with buck laurel the size of buses. Rock wall fences from old fields filled with tall trees so close you can't walk but the deer hide in there all the time.

Deer season after turkey day was the drive north through snow to a old building in the woods up a narrow lane after 20 miles on a dirt road, filled with 50 guys, two PA deer rosters full on the door, all kinds of cars/old two wheel drive cars with chains on the wheels in the snow, deeps snow, wicked cold, a big rack of classic lever actions, bolt action win 70's, and old military conversions. Potbelly stove heated up, propane fridges going, and a picnic table to fit 25 in the main area. Old overstuffed old Victorian sofas around the pot belly, card games, welcome hand shakes of guys way older than me, my dad, my grandfather, my cousins, and uncles making sure I was ok. Bunks up stairs for fifty guys. Food, card games at the tables, stories, and activity.

Sunday night dinner was family style usually cooked by an Italian guy who started with a homemade lettuce salad and this great pasta with a sauce that tasted different than home with fresh crusty bread. And this odd looking deep purple wine in the water glasses. Table discussion was who was going where for Monday, sitting or stand day, there were no ladder stands like now in the state forest surrounding us. My dad would say what spot we would take and everyone had a favorite. After the youth cleaned up the dishes the card games started, playing blitz, hasten pepper (trump like PA Dutch game), and some poker.

Early up, 4am, guys bumping in, finding gear, making sandwiches (best was ham cut from a fresh cooked foil covered on a fresh piece of bread) getting coffee from a huge boil pot on the stove, and getting into your woolrich checkers. There weren't many deer those days running around but a few were dragged in through the snow. It got dark fast and usually snowed even more.

The next day was 25 man drives. The older guys posted. The rest of us drove for the top of a mountain to the crick at the bottom with the posters adding in on the sides. If you were lucky you got to post on one of the last drives. Whatever would go in the snow dropped you off at the top of the mountain or as far up as it could make it for the drive. The deer would launch out of the buck laurel and never be seen by the posters and the drivers could not shoot into the posters because of the straight line to the posters. Sometimes all we had was a cut walking stick so we could not shoot. Still snow up to your knees or more.

At dinner you were falling asleep in your plate after a few bites of hot food and warming up. The old guys stayed the week. You posted a few drives as the crowd thinned out. The guys gave you pointers on where to go and what to do.

Being with my uncles, grandfather, cousins, and their life long buddies was a life experience never to be forgotten. The pranks (deer skins and deer heads in sleeping bags), fake snakes in sleeping bags, and guys at deer camp were priceless.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Another great story on the rich history that is a Pennsylvania deer camp. We don't see too many big drives any more. The camp crews are smaller. Several factors come into play. Sadly, less guys are in the woods, and more of them choose to hunt closer to home and work. The first day of deer season used to be what amounted to an unofficial state holiday. Schools closed, factories experience very high absenteeism, or just closed up, as everyone marched into Penn's Woods for "the opener."

Nowadays, a ten man drive is a pretty big deal. Old traditions die very hard though, and for years to come, when the early November winds swing around and come out of the north, a stirring in men's souls will send them down to the man cave to sort through a mountain of gear, and prepare for the annual pilgrimage that is deer camp. A huge Thanksgiving dinner, a peck on the cheek from a doting wife, and it's off to the woods to renew the great tradition that is a Pennsylvania deer season.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Many of the guys are now gone. The fifty is now less than ten. Most of the deer hunting is just out of sight of the building.

One deer season, after a heavy snow, the clouds cleared late evening to a clear sky with a full moon. It was bright enough to walk around the forest and the trees cast long shadows on the snow. Amazing conditions. Have never seen it again.

Old firehouse ten burner gas stove with a double oven replaced an older gas stove. Two antique propane refrigerators would get icy cold. The hiss of Coleman lanterns, smell of the wood fire, cigarette smoke, and pipe smoke. No matter how cold it was outside the place was toasty warm. Always plenty of good food and extra goodies.

The noise from the upstairs bunks was a dull snore chorus. Most of us knew to get to sleep before the real snoring started from a few pros.

Great memories.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I remember always making it a point to get to sleep before Dad. He snored like a chainsaw. For a few years there, until I shot my first deer, I was pretty much the designated deer dragger for all the Old Guard. A kid could do a lot worse.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
i remember being that guy as well, then again, i still am!! At 48yrs old, im still the youngest regular hunter at my camp. All of our kids are moved away (for work reasons), thats whats happening in our family as well as other families that i know. So the traditions are the first things that take a hit. My generation and older stayed around, and worked locally, now you cant find those jobs anymore.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
We have a new tradition going on here in Pa and that is Grouse camp. Have a camp up in Marienville that 4-5 of us and 5-6 dogs rent out for a week. Nice place with electric, a wood burner and full blown kitchen. At $250 per week divided by 4-5 it is a bargain.

Should have taken pics last year, but it slipped by.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Our camp was up in Haneyville, PA. The bunk room upstairs would sleep up to 20, downstairs was a great room with a long dining table surrounded by cast off furniture and rifle racks. Electric lights, by God! Big chunk stove that heated the whole building. The kitchen was dominated by a big black gas-fired range/oven and sink/work station. No running water- hand pump out front, and an outhouse.

We would assess all members who hunted the first week (usually 10-12) an extra fee to buy groceries and pay the guy who came up to cook a couple hundred. (He took paid vacation from work, so what we gave him was just a healthy tip.) He would come up on Friday after Thanksgiving and spend Saturday and Sunday baking bread, cakes, and pies- no meals then, we were on our own for those days. Starting Sunday nights and going through the rest of the week he provided a gut-stuffing family style supper, plus have a full course gut-stuffing breakfast waiting for us when we tumbled down the steps at 4:00AM. Box lunches were provided for those who wanted them, too. My God, you could hunt hard all week in that rough country in the Tiadoughton forest, morning 'til dark, and go home at the end of the week weighing more than when you arrived in camp! He who shot the first deer was then entitled to fill the cook's tag.

Weekends before the opener were devoted to catching up with the guys you hadn't seen since last year, last minute sighting in, poker games, guitars and beer drinking. The beer got put away Sunday afternoon and kept away by common consent for the rest of the week. Heck, After hunting all day and a ferocious meal, you usually just wanted to climb into your bunk anyway! After you shot your buck, you were allowed to resume with the beer if you so chose. Didn't want any drunk/hungover guys walking around with loaded rifles.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
One camp I went to hired a guy to cook that didn't hunt and it was money well spent. We did the dishes.

Sounds like your place was pretty coooool. smile

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, I miss those days. It was the old "Three Point Deer-and-Bear" camp, just a long golf shot from the Fin-Fur_and Feather Trading Post. Built in 1928 on ground leased from the state (which by the archaic law back then-and now, I think- meant that only state residents could be members). When I moved back to Maryland 20+ years ago I had to relinquish my membership, which took the bloom off the lily so I lost interest in going back. Time then to make new adventures and memories. But, the years I was a member will be etched in my mind as THE way to spend deer season.

I used to take my dad up as a guest. He was a small to average size guy, but he loved to eat. One morning he over-stuffed himself at breakfast- just couldn't not eat piles of bacon, eggs, pancakes, scrapple, biscuits, etc. Halfway up the mountain, hiking/sweating in the dark to his "spot", he had to stop and up-chuck everything he'd just eaten. Continuing on to the top, he discovered he left the magazine for his rifle (Savage 340) setting on the windowsill back at camp. Luckily he had a handful of cartridges so he could hunt single shot.

Surprised no one mentioned the PA deer camp tradition of cutting off the shirt tail of the newbie who got buck fever and missed.

One of the old guys who was a charter member back in '28 was a doctor, and was only around a couple years when I first started going back in '80. We all showed up with down sleeping bags, scoped bolt actions, and duffle bags full of gear so as to mount an Everest expedition. He showed up with one wool blanket, Model 94 and ammo, knife and his Woolrich hunting suit. That was it. He had forgotten more about deer hunting than any of the rest of us ever knew. He was also the guy who performed an emergency appendectomy on the camp dining table back right before he shipped out to New Guinea as a field hospital surgeon in WWII. Stories about him are for another time!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/06/14.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The noise from the upstairs bunks was a dull snore chorus. Most of us knew to get to sleep before the real snoring started from a few pros.

Great memories.

Only one serious snoring incident at our camp and that was in the early 70s. Took a flatlander uncle along for the first week of buck one year and one year only.

Myself and another bud each slept on sofas against outside walls. Uncle and the other bud slept on folding cots in the center of the room. Me and the other sofa guy couldn't get to sleep with unc's snoring.

The guy on the cot next to him never lost a minute's sleep. But that little bastige could sleep thru an artillery barrage.

I wanted to tote unc outside in the snow. Sounded like a pair of McCulloughs idling all night. The following night I turned the radio on and let 'er play all night. That uncle could never figure out why I never invited him back to buck camp.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Shirt tails were never "harvested" at our camp, but that's a tradition that's well known. The guys in the camp next to us had an old codger who couldn't get around in the woods any more, and he was the bull cook. If you knew what was good for you, you NEVER said a bad word about Bernie's cooking. You'd likely return that night to find all your clothes out in the mud. Bernie shot several deer right off the porch with an old 30-40 Krag that was the official camp gun. I know of at least 5 different guys that shot deer with that old gun when theirs was forgotten at home, broke, or the ammo had been forgotten. The stock was held together with duct tape, but it still could hit a deer out to about 75 yards with deadly regularity.

Last edited by gophergunner; 05/06/14.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Another entry from our book: Dec. 7th-12th, 1982.

My self, Howard and Dennis McQ. up for remainder of gun season. I took a spike on Tues. 4:30 p.m. in Finley Hollow. (my 1st) Didn't get snow until Friday night. Not too many deer. Cut some firewood and roughed out a trail into back of lot to get out some more wood. Pulled out Sunday 10:00 a.m.
J. Grubb

Sadly, this was Dad's last trip to camp. He died the next spring. I was very lucky to get to share that last hunt with him. He was very proud of me for taking that 1st deer. 10 years of missed shots and missed opportunities led up to that moment, and it was by far the best single event we shared together. Every fall, as I get ready to hunt, I can't help but think back to how much this meant to Dad. He is still heavily missed. His spot up above camp where he spent so many hours on stand, and shot so many deer over the years is hallowed ground. I haven't been up there in well over 15 years. It just hurts too much to return. At one time, there were 27 hash marks on the old beech beech tree dad used to sit against up there. Two of those I had added after Dad passed, but I just can't go there any more. The old hillbilly that keeps an eye on our camp for us goes up there, and has added several hash marks of his own, as well as a few others from other hunters that know a good spot when they see it. When ever I hear a shot from over that way, about a quarter mile from where I often hunt, I know the old man must be up there smiling.

Last edited by gophergunner; 05/12/14.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for sharing a great memory.
The days of slogging up to camp are long gone for our crew. Everyone scattered for careers, lives, or passed on. No electricity, Coleman lanterns, spring outside, and a privy were the norm. All of it more fun than we new at the time.

Made few outings to the Rauchtown Inn near Jersey Shore over the years, even had to take the wheel to drive a few members back to camp in my 'early' driving years after getting 'needed supplies' during the week.

Many great meals by my grandfather, uncles and dad. Many days walking the woods, shooting 22's at bottle caps on the backstop, walking with my dad, and fishing for Brooke's in the 'crick'.

Dirt roads, tram roads long since idle on the mountains, stories of past hunts, and time slowing down when you were there.

Great memories.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Our buddies in the camp next to us always brought up porn flicks. The old hillbilly that we all knew from up there would come over for an evening visit, park in front of the TV and just stare at the "training films." I'm certain this was as close to a women as old Bob ever got. We had a female game warden up there back then, and we always used to razz Bob about his girlfriend, the warden.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1337Fungi, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,321
Posts18,468,449
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.