Print Thread
Hop To
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
My 55 yr old eyes have found nirvana. Last month I took possession of a Trijicon RMR (RM08G,12.9 MOA triangle reticle) and then on Friday, my new mount from AmerigunUSA arrived. Perfection! I mounted them on my Ruger NMBH Bisley in 45 Colt. Well, actually, I had to send my Bisley to them, sans cylinder to have them custom fit/mount the mount. Which means I only had to screw the RMR to the mount/gun. Then on Saturday, I tested some of my 282 gr LBT-WFN-PB boolits I cast, over H110 and CCI 300's (note to self, use CCI-350's to insure better ignition).

[Linked Image]

This was one of the better groups @ 25 yds.

[Linked Image]

LOVE the Mountains Plains Industries targets.

Alan

BP-B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I had them build a tritium a few months back.

GREAT guys to work with.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Not the best pic but here is the green triangle reticle. Sight is mounted on my S&W Mountain Gun in 45 Colt.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks good, my only concern would be on the 12.9 MOA triangle. Obviously it subtends damn near 13" @ 100yds and thus roughly 6.5" at 50yds.

I tried it on my M&P CORE. I borrowed a buddies 12.9 MOA RMR for a few rounds and found it too intrusive at 50yds which was my zero choice. Also I found the Trijicons autobrightness to almost always be 2-3 clicks higher then I needed and on a sunny day I felt that the dot washed out.

I pulled my 7.5 MOA deltapoint off my AR pistol and threw in on my CORE. The gun is now zeroed using the tip of the triangle at 50yds and using the full triangle for plates from 10-30 yds has shown no downside. Same goes for using the tip of the triangle and some slight Kentucky windage to hit the 12" gong at 100yds. For my uses and preferences the 7.5 was much easier to get smaller groups. Of course that may not work for you as you mentioned your visual acuity wasn't so great.

For a use where no magnification is required I vastly prefer the RMR to a scope on a handgun or even a larger frame mounted red dot albeit the frame mount is better for follow up shots in a semi auto as the dot doesn't ever move in relation to barrel orientation.

In action type shooting it takes some practice to acquire the dot quickly as mine os slide mounted but I've had good success bringing the gun up to low ready and pushing it straight out and up and indexing as the dot appears

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
I had them build a tritium a few months back.

GREAT guys to work with.

Travis

Does Amerigun make custom Tritium sights? Might be just what/who I have been looking for. I cannot get too excited over a large round orb for a sight picture, myself. Hoping to find a place that will do a tritium white centerline or a triangle, point up, on a front sight.

GSSP, Awsome Bisley and cool sight set up you have there. I will be 54 in a few weeks, so I totally identify with the challenges you face. My handgun shooting is not anything CLOSE to what I could do 20 or 30 years ago. Stuff is just too damned blurry! cry

Last edited by safariman; 03/23/14.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
While visually odd, the practical nature of the Bisley and easy to use sighting system has a lot going for it. Especially if you needed to shoot at night or in low light.

From previous experiences, I've found longer range accuracy to improve for most who use a dot sighted gun. I would be curious to see what the 100 yard groups look like as opposed to irons.

Congrats on the new and improved toy.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
The intent is to use the tip of the triangle for the POA.

Here it is on my Mountain Gun.

[Linked Image]

Alan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by safariman
[quote=deflave]
Does Amerigun make custom Tritium sights? Might be just what/who I have been looking for. I cannot get too excited over a large round orb for a sight picture, myself.

Mark I could be wrong but last I knew Amerigun didn't make or swap sights. They used to only drill the factory sight and mount the tritium lamps.

I had them put lamps in a pistol with no options to swap sights and the work was very clean and reasonably priced.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
VERY cool on the Mountain gun, too. That one is my all time most desired 45 LC firearm.

What kind of holster do you use to pack these around in the backcoutnry? Seems to me the leather would be the most difficult part of the equation.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
[quote=deflave]
Does Amerigun make custom Tritium sights? Might be just what/who I have been looking for. I cannot get too excited over a large round orb for a sight picture, myself.

Mark I could be wrong but last I knew Amerigun didn't make or swap sights. They used to only drill the factory sight and mount the tritium lamps.

I had them put lamps in a pistol with no options to swap sights and the work was very clean and reasonably priced.

What is a Tritium lamp? Never heard of such a thing. A type of sight? A way to see a regular sight better? I am really getting out of the loop too much of late.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mark,

Tritium sights are simply regular steel sights with a hole drilled and a lamp or capsule that contains the phosphorus and tritium (the tritium only makes the phosphorus glow continually) is secured in the hole typically inside of a rubber type gasket to help with shock absorption.

ETA: I just took a quick peek at the Amerigun sight and they are now installing Trijicon and their own sights as well as doing the custom tritium installs in customers guns. They have a price list posted and near the top of page 1 is an option for tritium bar with replacement rear sight for $117.50. Assuming a front sight of adequate width is obtained I see no reason they wouldn't install a tritium bar.

They were super polite and up front about what they could or couldn't do and I'm sure your not the first to ask for that arrangement.

Last edited by MallardAddict; 03/23/14.
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G

What kind of holster do you use to pack these around in the backcoutnry? Seems to me the leather would be the most difficult part of the equation.

When I went to Alaska in 2008 I packed my 4-5/8" 45 Colt in a Mernickle cross draw. I had them cut the holster to fit the, then, Trijicon Reddot sight. Worked like a charm. Here it is with the mount but no sight. They do want a picture emailed to them with the sight mounted on the gun so they can ensure they can make it work and how far down to cut the leather.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I talked to Mernickle again and they will gladly make their cross draw for either the NMBH or Mountain Gun with the sight. My current holster will fit the 5-1/2" model fine, with the barrel barely protruding. It may need a little trimming around the front of the sight mount since I think the gun will seat a skootch deeper. I did wear it around all day Saturday without a problem but only rolling around to see if the gun would fall out would satisfy me.

Alan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alan,

#1 NICE BEAR!

#2, thanks for the answer RE the holster set up. Pretty slick! I might try something like this on my 329PD. It would need or require exactly the same mounts etc. but first I am going to contact Amerigun and see about some Tritium bar front sights on both my 329PD and my RIA Tac 10 1911.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Mark,

Tritium sights are simply regular steel sights with a hole drilled and a lamp or capsule that contains the phosphorus and tritium (the tritium only makes the phosphorus glow continually) is secured in the hole typically inside of a rubber type gasket to help with shock absorption.

ETA: I just took a quick peek at the Amerigun sight and they are now installing Trijicon and their own sights as well as doing the custom tritium installs in customers guns. They have a price list posted and near the top of page 1 is an option for tritium bar with replacement rear sight for $117.50. Assuming a front sight of adequate width is obtained I see no reason they wouldn't install a tritium bar.

They were super polite and up front about what they could or couldn't do and I'm sure your not the first to ask for that arrangement.

Thanks for the info there! For the longest time I have wanted, and wondered about, a Tritium sight that was less coarse than te typical round dots. I am sure that for man sized targets at 7 yards large dots are wonderful. But to make a ribcage shot on a big game animal or remove the head of a small animal (not to mention informal plinking at spent shotgun shells, golf balls, parts of broken clay pigeons etc) they leave much to be desired.

I may have found some perfect sights for my near (still in need of action and trigger tuning) perfect revolver!

G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Alan,

#1 NICE BEAR!

#2, thanks for the answer RE the holster set up. Pretty slick! I might try something like this on my 329PD. It would need or require exactly the same mounts etc. but first I am going to contact Amerigun and see about some Tritium bar front sights on both my 329PD and my RIA Tac 10 1911.

This guy was fun too.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
EXCELLENT!

I remember your telling the story of that one, not TOO very long ago.

Which area, outfitter and guide? I need to go where you went! No Moose's for Mark yet.....

G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
North of Nome is Teller and North of Teller is Brevig Mission. We were North of BM up on the American River with Brian Simpson who runs Wittrock Outfitting. His Fall moose success is phenomenal with a smattering of bear, caribou and one of a few outfitters who guide for Musk Ox: I think during the winter. His spring bear hunts, run off snow machines have very high success rates. We stay in touch because I hope to go back up someday and kill a big bear. He fills me in on his yearly success and it keeps me pumped. No web site, just word of mouth and repeat customers! He lives in Fairbanks.

A few months before heading up to hunt, I called the F&G wildlife biologist in Nome to ask about his bears. He told me he has "blue collar' bears. I'm a wildlife biologist by eduction and was a bit confused until he explained his bears were not fat and lazy salmon fed bears but very aggressive bears who have to hunt for a living where a sow might take down a 1200, 1300 or 1400 lb moose to get the protein it needs. The rivers up there don't have the amounts of salmon and other fish the lower coastal bears have access to.

Alan

Last edited by GSSP; 03/23/14.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
123 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 883 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,684
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.