Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rdd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Need information on what has worked for you for a rifle scabbard for the saddle. The rifle is a Marlin 336. No scope. Any photos of how you attached it would be great. Questions like right side, left side, stock forward or back? Thanks.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Everyone has different preferences, but these are mine.

I have long since preferred a plain leather one. Ones with fleece lining attracts debris and water, heavy nylon padded ones don't give enough protection.

I gave up on the separately hooded ones. The hood is just a PITA. If weather is bad ,I always carry a garbage bag along and cover the butt end. The ones with just a flap work well, but you might have to add a leather thong and big button in place of the snap.( a disc cut off a deer antler works well for the button).

For attachment, I use the quick clip carabiners that are spring loaded,nand shaped like a pear.Then I use a small leather strap to fix a small ring on the saddle at the flank cincha rigging to clip the carabiner to. On the front, I usually run a longer strap with a ring down thru the gullet and over the pommel. I adjust it's height as necessary to give the scabbard a down slope towards the front. Rough country for added safety I use the rear saddle ties around the butt of the rifle to tie it off too. I have it adjusted so the scabbard fits about right under my knees joint. That is why those flat sided 92's and 94's were such great saddle guns.

I prefer, butt rearward on near side so the butt is under the saddlebags. I have probably carried a scabbard with scope down for over 30 years and have never had a scope loose zero..

I don't like the scabbard set at a high angle, with the butt upwards towards the pommel of the saddle. Carried that way, it interferes with reining and sooner or later the horse or mule is going to go on one side of the tree and the scabbard on the other side giving you a broken stock. BTDT.

I like the near side as I am ponying a pack animal about 99% of the time and if the scabbard is on the off side,, butt rearward you constantly get the lead rope of the animal you are ponying caught up in it.

My saddle isn't real heavy , but with a cantle bag for a pauncho/raingear, saddlebags, pommel bag and scabbard it weighs a lot more than I need so I fix all of those things so they can be snapped on and off when I unsaddle and then saddle back up. Sure helps on those cold mornings when the leather is stiff and your hands are numb.

Sorry ,I don't have any photos of the rigging

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/24/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
rdd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the great information. I was hoping that you would chime in with some input.

I too think that a leather unlined scabbard would be the way to go and I like the way you attach your scabbard.

Do you have a scabbard you can recommend? I was looking at the one that Colorado Saddlery sells. I have purchased other items from them and has always been quality stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like saddlesore, I prefer a leather scabbard with no lining and no hood. Snow or rain I slip a small plastic bag over the butt and if not too windy a poncho will protect it too.

Unlike saddlesore, I rig it on the offside, butt to the rear.

[Linked Image]

99-A saddlegun
[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by rdd
Thanks for the great information. I was hoping that you would chime in with some input.

I too think that a leather unlined scabbard would be the way to go and I like the way you attach your scabbard.

Do you have a scabbard you can recommend? I was looking at the one that Colorado Saddlery sells. I have purchased other items from them and has always been quality stuff.

I buy from Walkers Saddlery in Lost Tine Oregon. Jim has never disappointed me and his products are top rate. I'm sure Colorado Saddlery will do you right too.

I don't know why I have four scabbards and there is only one of me.

I have a brother in SW PA that has one he doesn't use anymore. I think it is for a scoped rifle though. They still work for non-scoped though.Probably get it pretty cheap if you are interested

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Fleece-lined is the cat's ass. A filthy, disease ridden, diarrhea inficted cat's ass. They would absolutely ruin a rifle here, and other places as well. I'd sling a rifle while in the saddle before I used one of those.

Here is an axe on SonnyD(to help balance the rifle) opposite the rifle. The rifle is a right-handed bolt so has to go on the off side. I've seen too many broken stocks from carrying butt forward in *this* country. It'll catch a tree and snap.

[Linked Image]

A rifle slung on Mac:
[Linked Image]

Axe on the Creamsicle:
[Linked Image]

Try to avoid affecting your leg, and the horse's motion. Make sure a bolt gun doesn't allow the bolt to poke the horse. That's why I'm obligated to have it off-side, while I'd prefer to have it on the side I mount/dismount. Also I prefer to not have the gun ride on the scope, or I could hang it on the near side.

These scabbards have leather straps and I just feed them through the girth rings.

A lot of what I posted really doesn't apply to your case as your are hanging a LA. But some thoughts to keep in mind.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Also, take the sling off and put it in your pocket.

Hint there.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a pic of my bro in law on his horse. Leather straps and buckles through d rings on saddle to adjust for height.

[Linked Image]

The scabbards we are using were made by his leather guy copying a scabbard dad had bought in the 80's at a local farm store. His leather guy didn't like the rough leather inside, so ripped the first one apart and lined with smooth goat leather. $125 is what he charged if I remember right for the 2 I bought. Beats the $80 one I bought locally by a long margin.

R
rdd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The information and the photos are great! Makes me wish fall was here.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
One thing you have to watch out for when using a scabbard with butt rearward is have the muzzle end adjusted so it will not gall the horse or mules leg. The front leg motion going back and forth will gall a horse or mule pretty quick.

Notice on the white horse of Ironbender's that the muzzle end is past the shoulder. Whereas in Cheesey's photo the muzzle end is right on the shoulder or leg. I have galled a mule when mounted as Cheesy's photo shows

As Ironbender said, it sure helps to put something on the other side to keep you saddle balanced. Even if it's a full canteen hanging from the horn.

The reason I like to have the scabbard nearside is I'm a short old fart and whenever I tried the off side, I would catch my leg on the scabbard as I swung it over. Again I will mention that my scope is down and I have never had one loose zero.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Great points, Vince.

The best way to balance is with pard's .410 revolver for spruce chickens on the way into camp. wink

I'm tempted to flip my rifle to have it on the business side of my horse.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Here is horror story about carrying a scabbard, butt forward.

Below is a photo of a TC Hawkin right after I restocked it to fit me. The original stock pounded the heck out of me when shooting big maxiballs. It was no easy task as drilling the long hole for the ramrod took some doing. Now it has three walnut glued dowels in from the top ,just in back of the rear lug, above that cross crew. This was due to cracked stocked.

We had rode out in the dark that morning and I was riding a three year old green broke mule that had a case of the jitters continuously. When we got to our hunting area, we dismounted and were about to tie up. Something spooked that mule and she lunged forward. I had not even had time to take the rifle out of the scabbard. The scabbard was mounted, stock forward and when she lunged, she went on one side of the aspen I was going to tie to and the scabbard went to the other. The leather strap on front broke, but so did the stock. I didn't know it until it got light and I was a mile away from the mules.

This particular rifle is on it's way back to me from TC after they re-barreled it from being worn out, the 2nd time.

I should have taken note as last year the same mule, now 12, ran off with me and when I baled of, I got banged up pretty good. I ought to shot the damn thing for bear bait, but she is going to be a pack mule now.

[Linked Image]

This is the only rifle I ever had problems with carrying it upside down. The TC rear sights are spring laoded and kept in place with a screw. Riding on the screw, the sights move and shift the zero. I replaced it with a peep sight.

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/25/14.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
http://www.aussiesaddle.com/Products/Shootist/carbine_scabbard.html

this is one that is interesting to me. Not at that price though.

I like mine on the front of the saddle pointed down. Under my leg gets me sore pretty fast.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
What about when the critter rears and puts the stock in your forehead? smile

[Linked Image]

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
R
rdd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
It looks like it would take up a lot of room in front of the saddle. Also would be difficult to protect from the weather.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My marlin carbine runs shorter than that one. It puts the gun farther forward than tying to the front of the saddle like I currently do. Leather scabbard fills up with leaves and needles and requires dumping out a couple times daily.

Been getting lazy and putting my rifle on the pack horse.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Dan_H

Been getting lazy and putting my rifle on the pack horse.

Wow. Best wishes.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rooster didn't need a scabbard. He drove with his teeth and kept his rifle in hand for when he needed it in a hurry.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by ironbender
What about when the critter rears and puts the stock in your forehead? smile

[Linked Image]

Why ride a horse that rears? Not me.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Rooster didn't need a scabbard. He drove with his teeth and kept his rifle in hand for when he needed it in a hurry.

[Linked Image]

Yea, but I have dentures in the front and I can see the mule running off with my false teeth clamped on the reins and me sitting on the ground.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 18 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.