O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I thought that model year ran 5-30?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Toyota synthetic motor oil, although made by Mobil 1, has a much stronger add pack than the off the shelf Mobil 1 5w-30. The TGMO 0w-20 also has a much higher viscosity index than the off the shelf Mobil 1. Toyota had back spec'd the 4.7 liter v8 to take 5w20 so with the colder weather I'm positive it will be fine

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Toyota synthetic motor oil, although made by Mobil 1, has a much stronger add pack than the off the shelf Mobil 1 5w-30. The TGMO 0w-20 also has a much higher viscosity index than the off the shelf Mobil 1. Toyota had back spec'd the 4.7 liter v8 to take 5w20 so with the colder weather I'm positive it will be fine

Ok that sounds good ...for whatever reason I thought they ran the heavier stuff back then but didn't know that about the Toyo synthetic oil. I know my dealer doesn't sell it grin

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I hadn't been feeling 100% for a few weeks and when my CPAP went down on my trip to TX to get the truck I just wasn't sleeping very well. I got home from picking up the truck on Saturday night and then went in for a shift at the fire station at 7pm on Sunday. At this point I was going on about 6 hours of sleep over the previous 3 days and I normally get 7 or 8 hours a night. We started doing some search and rescue training exercises and I couldn't finish one. I tweaked a previous injury and couldn't breathe and so I went home with instructions to go to the urgent care or ER to get checked out. I didn't go right away as I had an MRI on the previous groin injury just a week ago and wanted to get those results before I went back to get it looked at again and I felt like the fatigue over the previous 3 days had something to do with it. Long story short, at about 11 pm I went to bed and couldn't breathe. I felt like I was suffocating so I told my wife that I was driving myself to the ER to get checked out. Turns out I have had Pneumonia for over 2 weeks. No wonder I haven't been feeling good! Anyway, just a reminder to not be like me and get these things checked out. My groin injury is an avulsion fracture and I should have handled it a while back instead of waiting around. I have had Pneumonia for over 2 weeks and ended up going to the ER at midnight to get it checked out. Basically I was the guy I cuss when they call us at 2am for something thats been bothering them for days or weeks.

I am also doing a build on me the same time I build the truck. I was an athletic guy and I'm only 40. I'm 6'4" and weighed 272lbs about 3 weeks ago. I'm down to 258 now and want to get to about 230-235 which is slender for my frame. With 2 kids under 2 I let myself go for a couple of years and I am sick of not being in good shape.

All of us here love the outdoors and love exploring new places. We all try to keep our equipment in tip top shape so it doesn't fail us at the wrong time. Basically what I am saying is that I am going to take the time to get back as close to 100% as possible so my body doesn't fail me when I'm in the wrong place. I guide and outfit hunts for a living and spend time in places not easily accessible here in the US and in Mexico. The past few days have been an eye opener and just wanted to share it with you guys

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Old Man Emu suspension kit going on tomorrow. Should be an upgrade over stock

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Old Man Emu suspension kit going on tomorrow. Should be an upgrade over stock

Looking forward to seeing a few "before" and "after" pics!

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice read. I looked at getting that same year and model but I couldn't find anything close to what you found. I settled on a '11 Tacoma. Hope that truck serves you well. Good luck on the weight loss and just stay after it, you'll be better fir it and the family will appreciate your hard work.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Heads up. Just received a notification from Toyota on my 2005 Tundra.

"Toyota has received reports that certain 2004 through 2006 model year Tundra vehicles operated in specific cold climate areas with high road salt use may exhibit more-than-normal corrosion to vehicles frame.etc, etc etc"

These States are involved: ct, de, il, in, ky,ma, md, me, mi, mn, hn, nj,ny, oh, pa, ri, va, vt, wi, and wv.

Long story short, you are to take it to a dealer for inspection. "If significant rust perforation IS NOT found Toyota will apply Corrosion-Resistant Compounds to key areas of your vehicles frame at NO CHARGE to you. The CRC application will enhance the corrosion protection of the vehicles frame." " If a participating Toyota Dealership, located in the colds climate states, confirms that your vehicle's frame has significant rust perforation, the dealer will provide an appropriate remed at NO CHARGE to you."

Inspection must occur before July 31, 2015.

Last edited by battue; 04/03/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Out with the old...

[Linked Image]

In with the new...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The OME kit is on and I am thrilled with it! Obviously it will settle but the ride is fantastic now. I can't imagine how good it will be once it settles. Here is a pic and I'll tell the story how all this came to be when I get home this evening. Wheels and tires next...

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
The OME kit is on and I am thrilled with it! Obviously it will settle but the ride is fantastic now. I can't imagine how good it will be once it settles. Here is a pic and I'll tell the story how all this came to be when I get home this evening. Wheels and tires next...

[Linked Image]

Looks good! What do you have in mind for wheels and tires?

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VAhuntr

I don't know yet, any suggestions?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So heres the story on why I lifted it so quick. I was looking around on CL for some steel wheels when I came across an ad for some wheels and tires so I called the guy. I went down to see the tires and I knew he would be cool because I could see a 40 tub in the background as well as the rear wheel well of another 40 he was building in the background. I have always been a sucker for FJ40's so I knew the guy was going to be a cool cat.

I get there and I see he has a paramedic sticker on the back of his built Tacoma and it turns out he is a flight medic on the helicopter that services our district where I am a fire fighter. We hit it right off and knew a few of the same people. His garage was pure awesomeness and he had all of the tools he needed for the frame off 40 build he had going on. He pulled my Tundra up and we tried a tire but it wasn't going to work as the backspacing was off. He asked what my plans were and I told him that I eventually wanted to lift it and he said "how bout tomorrow"? I asked if he was serious and he said that he loved doing that kind of stuff so I showed him my plans. He also loves Old Man Emu stuff and we made a couple of calls and I ended up at ToyTec on Wednesday afternoon. The guys at ToyTec are absolute studs and they answered all of my questions. They helped me piece together what I wanted and agreed that it should be an awesome setup on my 1st gen Tundra. The only issue we had was that they didn't have the top plates for my Tundra and when we called earlier they said they did. They were freaking awesome, they said to take the struts off on Thursday morning and bring them in and they would assemble the strut free of charge because they didn't have the part. The customer service at ToyTec is TOP NOTCH! Drew and Kevin are a pleasure to deal with and I will give them my business from here on out. It helps that they are in Northglenn and its less than an hour from my house

So yesterday I met Matt at his house at 10 am and we went to work. I should say Matt went to work. He is a great guy and showed me how to do everything. We took the front struts off and installed the diff drop and then went down to ToyTec to get the new struts put back together. I was as useless as tits on a boar hog but I look forward to returning the favor to him in some form or fashion. I learned a lot about my truck and we were both pretty jacked to see how it rode when we were done as we took off a homemade add a leaf and the front hockey puck spacers. We are both really impressed with the setup and even though OME is notoriously pretty stiff it actually felt pretty good. I can't imagine how nice it will be once it settles a bit.

Anyway, to my new friend Matt, THANK YOU! You will never know how much I appreciate you taking the time to help me out and I will return the favor! To Drew and Kevin over at ToyTec, you earned a customer for life. You guys were great and I will get you some before and after pictures as this is a lift you should market for the 1st gen Tundras.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

What's going to be your main usage?

I LOVE BFG KM2 Mud Terrains. They're not real quiet on road use, but will be damn good off the road. The noise isn't too bad on them, just not quiet.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
Heads up. Just received a notification from Toyota on my 2005 Tundra.

"Toyota has received reports that certain 2004 through 2006 model year Tundra vehicles operated in specific cold climate areas with high road salt use may exhibit more-than-normal corrosion to vehicles frame.etc, etc etc"

These States are involved: ct, de, il, in, ky,ma, md, me, mi, mn, hn, nj,ny, oh, pa, ri, va, vt, wi, and wv.

Long story short, you are to take it to a dealer for inspection. "If significant rust perforation IS NOT found Toyota will apply Corrosion-Resistant Compounds to key areas of your vehicles frame at NO CHARGE to you. The CRC application will enhance the corrosion protection of the vehicles frame." " If a participating Toyota Dealership, located in the colds climate states, confirms that your vehicle's frame has significant rust perforation, the dealer will provide an appropriate remed at NO CHARGE to you."

Inspection must occur before July 31, 2015.

The appropriate remed for a frame that has significant rust perforation is an entire new frame. My buddy in NJ has a 2004 Sequoia and his is getting done this month. Said he's getting new frame, new fuel lines, new brake lines, new gas line, new control arms, and a few other things...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by tzone

What's going to be your main usage?

I LOVE BFG KM2 Mud Terrains. They're not real quiet on road use, but will be damn good off the road. The noise isn't too bad on them, just not quiet.

I really liked my KM2s on my Jeep too. Not sure I'd want to run them for a daily driver though....they weren't as good offroad as my swampers Trxus MTs but they wore better (lasted longer and wore more evenly) and they were a whole lot quieter.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I used them on my Ford F250 for everyday driving. Folks always said they weren't very good on ice but I didn't have any issues with em there either.

For an everyday rig with off-roading that isn't a bunch of mud, I'd look into the Yokohama Geolanders.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have the 2007 version of that truck in silver, there was a recall for soft sagging rear springs so the dealer replaced mine with stiffer new springs, I also put air suspension bags that can be inflated in the back end. Of course mine has 112k miles on it though.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 163bc, 204guy, 68 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,138
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.